Spanish skating news

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Smart/Diaz will go to Worlds:
https://www.facebook.com/IFSmagazine/posts/10156848892182538

By technical decision of the Spanish Federation of Ice Sports (FEDH) Hurtado and Khalyavin will compete at Europeans and the Olympic Games, while Smart and Diaz will compete at Worlds. It is a measure to reward the equal and excellent level of both duos, as well as to try to maximize their options in order to get places for the Grand Prix next year.

SamuraiK

Im happy that H&D are the olympian team. The spanish native duo have already been to Olys so between Smart and KHaliavin I think he was the most deserving plus H&D have an awesome FD this year.

Good decission to give S&D the worlds spot too.

Elka

Smart last represented Great Britain at World Juniors 2015 (with Joseph Buckland) in the FD on 7 March 2015, and Khaliavin last represented Russia at Worlds 2015 (with Ksenia Monko) in the FD on 27 March 2015.
No, Smart/Buckland participated in senior Worlds 2015 so it is the same for both pairs. If that question is solved with the IOC, it is not an issue any more.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
No, Smart/Buckland participated in senior Worlds 2015 so it is the same for both pairs. If that question is solved with the IOC, it is not an issue any more.
You're right -- I read the grid wrong for Buckland: 2015 Jr. Worlds was Buckland's current partner Tweedale's last championship with her former partner.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Im happy that H&D are the olympian team. The spanish native duo have already been to Olys so between Smart and KHaliavin I think he was the most deserving plus H&D have an awesome FD this year.

Good decission to give S&D the worlds spot too.

You mean H/K (Hurtado/Khaliavin). Both H/K and S/D are talented teams, but I find more chemistry and excitement in the skating of H/K. :) Agree re the FD of H/K!

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting the link to this article (from the Javier Fernandez news thread in GSD): http://www.marca.com/juegos-olimpicos-invierno/2018/02/20/5a8c4ea3268e3ee6118b45b7.html

Re. Milan Worlds:
"Javier Raya will be the only Spanish representative in the individual category. [Spot of Javier] Fernández can not be used by Felipe Montoya because he has the world minimum of the long program, but the short one has expired."

I posted links to several Spanish articles about OLYMPIC BRONZE MEDALIST Fernandez here yesterday: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...elo-a-don-quixote-on-ice.101708/#post-5302270

shah

Shhh... shhh...
Re-posting the link to this article (from the Javier Fernandez news thread in GSD): http://www.marca.com/juegos-olimpicos-invierno/2018/02/20/5a8c4ea3268e3ee6118b45b7.html

Re. Milan Worlds:
"Javier Raya will be the only Spanish representative in the individual category. [Spot of Javier] Fernández can not be used by Felipe Montoya because he has the world minimum of the long program, but the short one has expired."

I posted links to several Spanish articles about OLYMPIC BRONZE MEDALIST Fernandez here yesterday: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...elo-a-don-quixote-on-ice.101708/#post-5302270

:(

Such a shame for Felipe :(.

Jaana

Very sorry for Montoya, especially as this will be the last time Spain will have two slots for men´s competition at Worlds. Unless in future another Javier Fernandez will appear, but how likely is that?

MsZem

I see the sea
Very sorry for Montoya, especially as this will be the last time Spain will have two slots for men´s competition at Worlds. Unless in future another Javier Fernandez will appear, but how likely is that?
Back when he started out, not many people expected Javier Fernandez to become the skater he is today. Who knows? Maybe somebody will surprise us.

nimi

Celia Robledo and Luis Fenero announced their retirement from competitive skating
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgHVG-fHRz_/?hl=it&taken-by=celia_robledo
I was a bit surprised by this decision but OTOH I understand that the prospect of being Spain#3 for the foreseeable future may not be that enticing... And when it comes to Luis, I presume he and Eric might have plans that are not very compatible with one of them still pursuing competitive career.

Anyway, I wish both Luis and Celia luck in their future endeavors, whatever those may be!

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Cross posting from the dance hall thread:
I recently joined the team of ice-dance.com and did my first interview with Olivia and Adrian :cheer2:
It was a very candid and fun chat about last year's results and next season's plans, programs, memories, Spain, dogs, engagements... :D
https://www.ice-dance.com/site/a-chat-with-olivia-smart-adrian-diaz/
Enjoy!

aftershocks

Banned Member
Well, H/K placed 12th at the Olympics and S/D placed 12th at Worlds, so once again both teams are evenly matched. One team will need to move up higher in the standings in order to garner two team spots in ice dance for Worlds and Olympics, which they need.

Both teams are very good, but I'm a bit more excited about the pairing of Sara and Kiril.

Dobre

Well, H/K placed 12th at the Olympics and S/D placed 12th at Worlds, so once again both teams are evenly matched.

I'll disagree. Different levels of competition at those two events due to so many teams dropping out prior to Worlds. Hurtado & Khaliavin defeated Zagorski & Guerreiro and Muramoto & Reed at the Olympics. I think H&K pulled ahead by the end of last season.

That doesn't mean they aren't catchable with new programs, but I wouldn't say the Spanish teams wrapped up the year on an even plane.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Eh true, different levels of competition. But not by that much. How many top teams pulled out of Worlds, 3? Anyway, those who pulled out were replaced by other teams. It wasn't exactly a dearth of competition at Worlds, just different.

So right now then Smart/Diaz have been together longer and are a bit more experienced and perhaps a bit more smooth technically with the advantage of training with hot coaches and top teams. Meanwhile Hurtado/ Khaliavin, while needing to smooth things out a bit more technically in addition to gaining more experience, still bring on more heat and connection on-the-ice than do Smart/Diaz. H/K just have something special together which can't be bought nor taught. And the competition H/K faced at the Olympics was slightly tougher perhaps. Yet it's still hard to judge how well H/K may have fared at Worlds. Two spots higher, or about the same? Judges can be fickle, and the sport is forever political.

Sara & Kiril express passion and fire. Of course, Kiril is married, so theirs is a professional passion and desire to perform together and to improve. They and their coaches look like they are enjoying this journey they are on.

Olivia and Adrian look to be having fun too and they are a competent team who are pleasant to watch, but I don't find them necessarily as interesting.

Last edited:

Dobre

Eh true, different levels of competition. But not by that much. How many top teams pulled out of Worlds, 3?

Bobrova & Soloviev
Virtue & Moir
The Shibutanis
Coomes & Buckland

Four teams ranked above both Spanish ones. In dance, four teams can be a lot. (That kind of turnover generally only happens the year of the Olympics and possibly the following year). One of those spots was taken by Stepanova & Bukin who were likely out of reach so you wind up with an overall possible climb of three placements. Three placements could--in this case--have been the difference between sending one or two Spanish teams to Worlds next season. Hurtado & Khaliavin might have had a crack at the top ten. But they might not have gotten it. Zagorsky & Guerreiro and Muramoto & Reed skated better at Worlds than they did at the Olympics. Hawayek & Baker came in, finished tenth, and defeated H&K by a very small margin in their last head-to-head. However, H&B had a fall at Worlds in the SD. So the possibility for the top 10 was there. But there was also the possibility that H&K would have mucked up or not gotten as much love from the North American tech panel as they did from the Olympic one. The season ended where it did.

Spain won two spots at Europeans, and the teams deserve them. So they're in better shape than last year and should be able to have a major international head-to-head this season.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Right, agreed. Thanks for the summary. Fairly much as I figured sans meticulous checking. I knew there were teams who performed better at Worlds, in addition to replacement teams for those who pulled out, skating well. And as we know, judging can be a crapshoot from event-to-event.

ice crystal

Well, H/K placed 12th at the Olympics and S/D placed 12th at Worlds, so once again both teams are evenly matched. One team will need to move up higher in the standings in order to garner two team spots in ice dance for Worlds and Olympics, which they need.

Both teams are very good, but I'm a bit more excited about the pairing of Sara and Kiril.

Sorry double posted. But I also find H/K the more expressive and exciting pairing. They seem to be challenging themselves with different styles also, which I appreciate.

legjumper

Do we finally have some nomination criteria? 🤔
Not that I'm aware of. Unlike the past two seasons, FEDH has been noticeably silent on the Worlds criteria. I would not be surprised if this season there were NO criteria, and FEDH will just name whichever team it wants and selectively use whichever criteria it chooses to justify the selection, whether it be Euros alone or in combination with some other competition(s). :shuffle:

Vagabond

Do we finally have some nomination criteria? 🤔
Criteria:
1) Skater needs a complete package to potentially be a top skater at Euros/4CC's/Worlds/Olympic level
2) Skater needs to have the ability to absolutely rock one day and splat the day after. Even better: rock and splat during one program
3) Skater is not afraid of breaking one's heart over and over again
4) Skater needs more splat/messy performances than great ones
;)
:sekret:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information