Papadakis CIzeron #4 - Happiness Does Not Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Certain people still seem to be under the delusion that the harder a lift looks the higher level it should get. What makes Papadakis/Cizeron special is that they have found a way to make their lifts feel like part of the choreography and still get those Level 4s and +3 GOEs. That does not mean the lifts are easy. It just means that they make them look like they are.

millyskate

Moreover, even if they were "easy"... they meet the requirements. That's what counts. In sport there are no points for trying too hard. Usain Bolt wouldn't win his race better for doing it with his eyes closed!
And I suspect, since they have the shared highest base value out there, that these elements would be performed by more if so easy.

annie_mg

I think that possibly what people may be referring to is them not having "Ta-Da" lifts, and instead integrating them into the choreography :shuffle: For example their SD lift is done in the movement, there's no "stop look at me I'm so acrobatic/flexible" moment.

Which for me personally is one of the things I appreciate the most. It's a matter of personal taste I guess; but thank you for your answer, it validates what I thought.

Anyasnake

https://www.facebook.com/EurosportFR/videos/vb.1433845536866876/1990682251183199/?type=2&theater
facebook live. A couple of very interesting things :

They were asked : what are your favourites program you've done ?

Gaby : to skate, maybe this year. Guillaume kind of agrees, he said Mozart too.
But to watch, they both said "Build a Home" - it wasn't the easiest to skate though. There is something that came along that was a discovery (the "Build a home moment", I'm sure everyone know what I'm talking about - something that isn't controlled)
Gaby : Also to watch, strangely, the waltz SD. We hated it at first
laughing.gif
Well not hated it, no, but because it gave us so much trouble (Guillaume adds : we hated it for a long time because of that
laughing.gif
). When I (Gaby) watched, I was like : I like it, not bad !

Also : what are your favourite moments on the ice/in your career ?

Gaby : maybe after the Mozart FD in China (the 1st she thought about) but they are so many, they are all equal.
Guillaume : at the end of the day, probably the trainings, because this is what I'll remember.
------
It's funny how they make it look so easy yet they have so much trouble doing it right at first - testament of the hardwork all the skaters put on the ice. It's nice that they "like" to watch themselves on the ice too (probably not as much as we do but still
biggrin.gif
)

Last edited:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
It's funny how they make it look so easy yet they have so much trouble doing it right at first - testament of the hardwork all the skaters put on the ice. It's nice that they "like" to watch themselves on the ice too (probably not as much as we do but still
biggrin.gif
)
The fun little exercise we're trying in the Yarns of gold thread just made me realize how hard it is to firstly find suitable music and then try to come up with a convincing story or some specific emotions you want to express. As fans, we often throw comments about music and lack of cohesion but it's truly a headscratcher.
As for their waltz, it's one of their program I rewatch the most, loved the intensity, the costume, the music. I think their Tango next year good be a stunner.

TheresMaude

It's funny that they didn't like the waltz at first because that's one of my fave SD (maybe my favourite in fact) of theirs. They were glorious in Boston.
Prompted by your post, Miloune, I just re-watched that waltz. They should use that as an exhibition. It's just thrilling. Is it perhaps too difficult to do as an exhibition?

Miloune

Prompted by your post, Miloune, I just re-watched that waltz. They should use that as an exhibition. It's just thrilling. Is it perhaps too difficult to do as an exhibition?

Lol I don't know if they want to restrain themselves to SD tempos and steps in the exhibition. But yeah it is great.
Also, as an exhibition, I personally wish they'd do something fun or something sexy... i don't really care much for what they do at the moment. :shuffle:

millyskate

It's funny that they didn't like the waltz at first because that's one of my fave SD (maybe my favourite in fact) of theirs. They were glorious in Boston.
Yes me too! It's the program of theirs I've rewatched the most. I really liked the music too.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Interview for a French Radio: http://rmcsport.bfmtv.com/mediaplayer/video/papadakis-cizeron-on-est-sur-la-bonne-voie-1013677.html
Quick overview because there's not much new except for the first question, very direct and many are thinking about this elephant in the room so the funny guy with the southern accent and the big voice just went ahead and asked it. Does reputation help in the notation ? He says that know they beat the Canadians, it might play in their favor in the notation but Guillaume says not that much because the system has changed so that they need to be absolutely flawless in their technique and interpretation to get the points. He acknowledges there is a grey zone but not as wide as people might think. Their job is then to deliver the most flawless performance to reduce this grey zone to a minimum.
Otherwise they're asked about the Olympics of course, do they feel to closer to the Oly Gold. She says yes, they feel good and on the right path.
Remind us about the SD and FD portion of the competition and how it was important to beat the Canadians in the short for the first time. She does say SD was not their forte but they worked really hard to catch up. They learnt a lot from last year so this competition proved they're able and on the right path.
Guillaume says it's a real mental game, so yes a victory here is important. The big guy asks yet another interesting question
biggrin.gif
do you do like the parachutists and mime your choreography in your room ? Gaby says they do it in the back room where they rehearse it on the floor.
Can you still improve those big scores ? Guillaume says of course, they need to work on all those little details to reach the next level.
They will have a small break during the end of year festivities but not relax too much. Then they ask if in this sport they have to be careful of their weight. Gaby answers they're both blessed with a good metabolism. So no, they don't pay attention to which Guillaume adds they do so much sports anyway, it's not easy to fatten up really.
Do you approach the Oly like any other competitions? Are you gonna protect yourself from the media for instance ? Guillaume says living abroad in Montreal is already a way to be quite out of the media's reach. But just before the games they will try to stay away.
Last, a question about their relation with V/M especially after this win in the GPF to which Guillaume jokes around saying they're get along better and better as a result
laughing.gif
Gaby says this victory will not change much even though there's always a bit of tension. The big guy jokes around regretting the days of yore when there was baseball bat attacks in the knees, what has this sport come to ? ahahahahaha They don't share the ice so much but when they cross path they're friendly being able to put aside the competition mindset. To which the interviewer adds" so you're friendly but you don't go and have dinner together" Guillaume answers something funny I can't totally translate but it goes sg like this "well no, we're not going to out to eat fish dumpling on the weekend" the odd choice of fish dumpling cracks up everyone (including me tbh)

Same show, they apparently ask a silly question: https://twitter.com/hashtag/LaFameus...c=hash&lang=en
The guys were asking about the meaning of a record in skating, so Guillaume was just explaining it's not as meaningful because the point system constantly evolves and their record is only valid within to the two last seasons, it's mainly a personal record. The other guy then ask a silly question: when you go back to the locker room and take off your skates, are the skates aware of the world record ???? ahahahaha giggles giggles giggles. Then someone ask if they can communicate while performing like talking or having some kind of signing language. But they can't, then Guillaume goes on saying they already don't talk to each other outside the rink so ....

lauravvv

I think that possibly what people may be referring to is them not having "Ta-Da" lifts, and instead integrating them into the choreography :shuffle: For example their SD lift is done in the movement, there's no "stop look at me I'm so acrobatic/flexible" moment.

I wouldn't agree that the "Ta-Da" lifts never go with choreograohy. V/M's mostly do, actually. But I would also agree that acrobatic lifts wouldn't suit Gabriella ang Guillaume's style of skating and the style of their programs.

Anyasnake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lD_dJDem98 SD at French Nationals
Not their best performance for sure ;) but still very powerful !
They must be exhausted though... they have been on a Marathon since the Masters and now that pressure is off and holidays are coming, they must have lost a bit of focus here and there. (Get those mistakes out! :rofl:)

You can watch tomorrow FD live on this link perhaps : https://www.afromotion.tv/afrotv/watch/bF
12:15 Paris Time :saint:

millyskate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lD_dJDem98 SD at French Nationals
Not their best performance for sure ;) but still very powerful !
They must be exhausted though... they have been on a Marathon since the Masters and now that pressure is off and holidays are coming, they must have lost a bit of focus here and there. (Get those mistakes out! :rofl:)

You can watch tomorrow FD live on this link perhaps : https://www.afromotion.tv/afrotv/watch/bF
12:15 Paris Time :saint:
Not to mention the jetlag since GPF.... I can't imagine how they're even skating :lol: But yeah, if they were going to make mistakes this was a good time.

Anyasnake

Not to mention the jetlag since GPF.... I can't imagine how they're even skating :lol: But yeah, if they were going to make mistakes this was a good time.
But even with that you can see they are so trained ! But not having the pressure probably made them loose focus at some point; also It has been non-stop for more than 2 and a half month, but this past week and this one especially. They'll take a one-week break after Nats anyway. Otherwise they'll suffer from severe exhaustion. Then it's "full-on training" until the games as they said. :plush:
According to their week since they returned to France it has been : training early in the morning, media tour on the afternoon until late (sometimes over 10 pm) for 2 or 3 days, leaving for Nationals, practice, and now competition. And jet lag isn't gone yet for a lot of skaters who have been to Japan :scream:

Last edited:

Isabelle.G

I still can't get over the fact how fast they skated. :eek: I'm sure that happens every time but not every time it's so visible in a video. And those highlights - mesmerising! People from the international competitions should get inspired. They were perfect.
I seriously hope they'll rest now and take the well-deserved break.

EYGH

Bravo to Gabi and Guillaume who performed so well during the FD despite being obviously exhausted (particularly Gabriella, her overshadowed eyes were quite telling). I hope they will get all the rest they truly need before starting training again.

With these two the slow motion is a whole exquisite dance by itself. It is uterly gorgeous.

Their SD was off but nevertheless endearing for me. It is one of my 3 favourite sds of theirs after their flamenco and their "there's a new cat in town" one even if then, they were not skating as well as they are now. I love the music and the costumes for those dances (yes even Ed Sheeran !).

Wish for them to have a great vacation and a merry Christmas with family and friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information