The Carolina Kostner Thread

text_skate

During Ex on German TV the commentator said, he had a conversation with her at Oberstdorf some weeks ago. He was there for TV coverage about Sav/Mas (before Skate America).
She told him she's in for the joy of skating, it's not about medals, it's about what she feels on the ice

msadot

82 points for her short.

D you believe the Oly medal now?

Last edited:

lauravvv

Now if only she'd bring back last season's glorious SP...
The current SP is scoring better for Carolina. Of course, part of that is that she had just come back after a break last season, so judges were cautious in their scoring of her. It's very likely that if she was to skate that SP this season, it
would be marked higher. But it was also a more "acquired taste", a program that many people probably didn't quite get, very likely including part of the judges, while her current SP holds a broader appeal and is much easier to "get".

MsZem

I see the sea
The current SP is scoring better for Carolina. Of course, part of that is that she had just come back after a break last season, so judges were cautious in their scoring of her. It's very likely that if she was to skate that SP this season, it
would be marked higher. But it was also a more "acquired taste", a program that many people probably didn't quite get, very likely including part of the judges, while her current SP holds a broader appeal and is much easier to "get".
I suspect it's scoring better because 1. as you noted, Kostner is skating a full season rather than making a mid-season comeback after 2+ years away from competition, 2. cleaner SPs at higher scoring events, and 3. Olympic season inflation, which everyone benefits from.

This year's SP is conventional. Last year's was special, and made Kostner stand out.

jiggs

I've had the pleasure to watch Carolina live many many times, including yesterday, and she has never looked this good. I wasn't a huge fan of this program at first but she somehow makes it her own in a very special way and I was blown away by it. IMO the best competition performance she has done so far.

It's impressive, really. She just drew you in with her performance and interpretation, every movement was so on point and intense and the jumps were effortlessly integreated into the program. Chapeau, really - what an athlete!

David21

Wow Kostner has an excellent chance at gold at the olympics now with the flip-toe and lutz back. That would be quite the story.

The difference between flip-toe and and toe-toe and the difference between a lutz and a second flip are about 1 point each. That is very likely not going to decide the outcome.

It was 3Lo/2T ;)
Anyway, what a skate, what a Lz, and what a Flip. I'm so glad she could complete those jumps before the Olympics. Congrats !

Other than than the lutz, flip and loop combo she had a rather medicore skate at Italian Nationals. Hopefully she will skate better at her remaining competitions this season.

kittyjake5

Other than the fall I thought her skate was very good. Congrats to Caro on (how many-sorry I forget) National Title!

It was a great audience lots of love and applause shown to all of the skaters. The bows with the Flower girls was a very nice touch too.

Sk8swan

9th title ;)
I was there too and speaking about the SP, (even though I didn't like the music choice at first) that performance totally blew me away... I think her best EVER (and I was totally in love with the Ave Maria program so that tells smth!) Speaking about jumps 3-3 combo and lutz (she also landed stunning 2a-3sal in practice) it feels like years hasn't gone by for her (she's gonna be 31 in February!) but on the other hand with the improvement she's showing you just can't help but thinking keep going all these years just got her better and better...and you just want to see more and more! :swoon:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information