Can't Help Falling In Love ... with Hubbell & Donohue (fan thread #2)

semogal

Agreed getting a level 4 on a step sequence is big points. But it honestly seems like a crap shoot to get one. All season their partial step has been a 4 and this week it was a level 3. I doubt they changed the way they skated it. Step levels seem to be in the eye of the beholder. I feel like some other elements are more in their control.

Wishing them lots of luck in the FD. I hope they can get a great score. I love Madison's little happy bounce she does in the K&C when she is excited.

semogal

Their regular level 4 on the rotational lift would have snagged them the bronze medal today. The brass ring always is just out of reach.

The comments from the Eurosports guys make me feel better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FunvIoDntLA&feature=youtu.be

US Nationals is going to be really intense after this event. The 3 teams finished with less than a point separating them

Last edited:

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
Wonder what happened on that entrance on the rotational lift - an uncharacteristic mistake for them. But god, otherwise that was a fantastic performance. Everything else looked to be spot on, and I love their edge work in the step sequences. :swoon:

It kills me that they were so close to the bronze. If they'd been just a little cleaner (and, I can't help but wonder if they had skated after C/B if that could have resulted in higher PCS, since that sometimes still seems to be tied to skating order).

I hope they kill it at Nationals.

clairecloutier

Well the GPF was a disappointing event overall for Madi/Zack ... But, I have to say that, aside from the one mistake, I thought their FD was powerful and amazing. I loved it. I was also proud of how they handled the mistake—you could see them almost visibly refocus and recommit themselves, like they were determined not to let the mistake derail the program. I’m not happy with their scores, but at least they did hold onto 4th place. We’ll just have to hope for better things at Nationals!

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
Had another thought - I'm not sure exactly how many points Madison and Zach lost on the lift, but they only lost the FD to Madison and Evan by 0.20, and that was the latter team's first really clean performance of the season (from what I read in the pbp, haven't watched it yet). That's a positive, yes?

I still think they deserve higher PCS, though.

blancanieves

I am incredibly proud for H/D. They have skated great all season long. Almost got their "paycheck" here today, as Rippon would say. Once they earn the National title they should enjoy the PCS cushion that allows their competitors to escape more unscathed from minor and not so minor errors.

I hope they reap lots of love and encouragement to keep fighting from skating fans and commentators like the Brits.

barbarafan

I am completely disappointed for Madi and Zach today. They were obviously pushed down today. The lowest score of the season. Their edge quality, speed and power were closer to V/M and P/C than C/L and C/B. I truly believe the USFSA wanted to make it known that the Shibs are the US#1 without any close competition.

I can't see how Madi/Zach have shot as US Nationals champs now. In fact, it looks like they may be 3rd at Nationals. Madi/Zach were the only team to score considerably less than their season average with no mistakes at all.

Sounds like...They obviously outshone both us dance couples. Their base value was highest of the free dance...US judge and us fed are a crock of sh**it on so many levels. They were on the heels of French and CDN team and outclassed the rest of the competition and I say that as a total V/M fan. Go Maddie and Zack

barbarafan

I am incredibly proud for H/D. They have skated great all season long. Almost got their "paycheck" here today, as Rippon would say. Once they earn the National title they should enjoy the PCS cushion that allows their competitors to escape more unscathed from minor and not so minor errors.

I hope they reap lots of love and encouragement to keep fighting from skating fans and commentators like the Brits.

sorry but what Brit commentator are u talking about. On eurosport 2 they were singing their praises and flat out said they were undermarked and better than both us teams and marks should have been close P/C & V/M.

RoseRed

Here's an interview with Madi and her mother about her costumes.
That's cute. I guess her mom made the 1st SD dress and they got Mathieu Caron to make the new one. He posted a picture of it one IG. He works with lots of teams from Gadbois, like V/M and S/D this season and P/C and Lajoie/Lagha in the past. He also does costumes for C/B.

I think he might have made their FD costumes too, because Zach tagged him in this picture of them, but I don't know for sure.

blancanieves

Hubbell & Donohue on video/article from people.com:

Skaters on I, Tonya movie

I think he might have made their FD costumes too, because Zach tagged him in this picture of them, but I don't know for sure.

For the FD, I think Caron made Zach's costume only. If I'm not mistaken they altered the jacket for the GPF to make it look more like a tuxedo jacket. I'm unsure if it fits as well around the shoulders as it used to.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
She seems to eat so little for the amount of exercise and efforts she needs to do. That lunch wouldn't cut it and I don't exercise at all. I remember P/C being asked about their diet specifically if they had to pay attention because it was a body conscious sport. They said with the amount of physical activity, they couldn't fatten up anyway so they didn't follow any special diet. I do get Madison is talking about stamina and energy, and not keeping the weight down, but just raw veggies and fruits for lunch, I would faint.
Anyway, her dedication and organization is indeed impressive. I really hope they can get the result they hope for at Nationals.

UMBS Go Blue

Слава Україні!
I think both Madi and Zach mentioned that they're constantly eating all day long during training:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCQyckeu4dY

It's not like Madi only has only one grape and one piece of broccoli for a meal. They don't want to feel all bloated and bogged down with large, heavy meals, so it's more a consistent munching on something modest. Not too much, but certainly nothing puny. This might include toting around a lot of the food with you in a variety of containers (like you would, say, pack a small container of nuts for snacking at work so that you don't eat an entire jar's worth all at once), or homemade veggie shakes in thermos-sized containers.

topaz

She seems to eat so little for the amount of exercise and efforts she needs to do. That lunch wouldn't cut it and I don't exercise at all. I remember P/C being asked about their diet specifically if they had to pay attention because it was a body conscious sport. They said with the amount of physical activity, they couldn't fatten up anyway so they didn't follow any special diet. I do get Madison is talking about stamina and energy, and not keeping the weight down, but just raw veggies and fruits for lunch, I would faint.
Anyway, her dedication and organization is indeed impressive. I really hope they can get the result they hope for at Nationals.

I am sure Madison meets with a nutritionist, but the lunch she described seems fine too. raw veggies and fruits have more fiber and help regulate our blood sugar. The most recent nutrition research shows most of us eat way more protein that we really need.

Also, our bodies really don't need 3 meals a day or "small" snacks throughout the day. http://www.medicaldaily.com/how-3-m...hould-be-eating-whenever-we-get-hungry-324892
Breakfast, for example, is paraded around as the key to weight loss, but in truth, meal times were based on convenience and ritual

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
It's not like Madi only has only one grape and one piece of broccoli for a meal. They don't want to feel all bloated and bogged down with large, heavy meals, so it's more a consistent munching on something modest. Not too much, but certainly nothing puny.
I am sure Madison meets with a nutritionist, but the lunch she described seems fine too. raw veggies and fruits have more fiber and help regulate our blood sugar. The most recent nutrition research shows most of us eat way more protein that we really need.
I know they don't eat only one grape and I also understand how an athlete doesn't want to feel heavy but between eating a large and heavy meal and only eating raw veg and fruits, there's an in between. Also more than protein, I was just expecting athletes to add a bit more varied food groups like lentils, quinoa, whole grain carbs in small quantity of course not to feel bogged down as you mentioned, especially mid day, to just keep up with the insane demands on their bodies. Anyway, it's obvious she's followed by a nutritionist, they clearly don't leave anything to chance in Gadbois and as long as she's happy and feel good is what matters. I was just surprised is all.

Very interesting interview, especially about managing their level of excitement to deliver cleaner performances. I'm curious about the SD changes, it makes sense to ease it up on themselves if they don't get the reward in GOEs. It's also really smart to play on their strengths, long lines and speed. Last year, they manage to really improve drastically their SD so I have no doubt they can deliver at Nationals. Just keep your head on your shoulder and control those energy levels. It would be so exciting if they can create a surprise.

barbarafan

Sending good vibes to Madison and Zach, skate well my darlings. And getting myself prepared for the SD by making sure I am stocked up on frosty adult beverages, salty snacks, and dark chocolate!:watch:

Fingers crossed that the judges are judging what is on the ice not how they would like it to turn out.

semogal

It was a great performance today from Madison and Zach. But looking at the protocols they left some points on the table. I am encouraged though because if they get those level 3s to level 4, their score will be the bomb.

Anyasnake

It was a great performance today from Madison and Zach. But looking at the protocols they left some points on the table. I am encouraged though because if they get those level 3s to level 4, their score will be the bomb.
That was one of their best outings, expect for that twizzle issue. They did lost some levels though. For sure they aren't not ranked 3 anymore in the US !

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information