Netflix/Prime/Hulu Discoveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
I've have had a ton of fun watching documentaries on all things British - Secrets of British Castles, a show on Althorp (Spencer family estate), Secrets of Chatsworth, The House of Windsor, etc. The history is incredibly interesting.

Seerek

Now that I'm up to date on B99, I'm starting on Schitt's Creek, also on Netflix.

It's interesting - certain network series (Schitt's Creek) wait until their complete seasons air before making the episodes available on Netflix, while other network series (Riverdale) actually make the latest aired episode available within days of it being aired first-run on the network.

From my understanding, Netflix USA only had Schitt's Creek available once the full season aired on POP TV.

FiveRinger

It's interesting - certain network series (Schitt's Creek) wait until their complete seasons air before making the episodes available on Netflix, while other network series (Riverdale) actually make the latest aired episode available within days of it being aired first-run on the network.

From my understanding, Netflix USA only had Schitt's Creek available once the full season aired on POP TV.
I thought that shows didn't air on Netflix until the season was complete (in US). I could be wrong....

Seerek

Atypical! This is a bittersweet series about a family - the lead character is a teen with autism. The family interaction is very real, all flawed human characters. it is a Netflix Original I beleive.

The family interaction is definitely the show's strongest asset (Jennifer Jason Leigh is excellent), however many in the autistic community are not as keen on Keir Gilchrist's portrayal of Sam (criticisms along the lines of Sam being too one-note as to his personality and behaviour whereas a more nuanced portrayal would be more in line with autistic youth).

screech

I've started watching Mindhunter on Netflix. It's good but I'm not 100% loving it so far. I'm 3 episodes in, and the best work so far (to me) is by Cameron Britton who is playing serial killer Ed Kemper.

I love Jonathan Groff (reason I decided to watch the show), but I don't really find him believable in his role. Holt McCallany who plays his partner is doing a good job, though.

screech

I just finished watching Mindhunter, and it got much better as the season went on. It's slow-paced but really well done. I recommend it for those who like David Fincher, true crime shows, learning about serial killers, and things along those lines. It's also a character drama.

I also started to enjoy Groff's performance much more as the season went on. Especially when I read
that people are suspecting that his character is a psychopath or sociopath, similar in ways to the serial killers they interview on the show. Once I read that analysis, I could totally see it.

topaz

Okay, so I binge watched Mindhunter. The show is fantastic. @screech - I agree with your spoiler. However, that Ed Kemper character and the real life person was scary as HELL.

Also, I watched the Cuban Libre Story(documentary). Very good and I highly recommend it. The actual footage of the Cuban liberation movement throughout the years was incredible. Many never seen before footage of Jose Marti, Che, The Castro brothers and the Spanish/American War.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I just finished watching Mindhunter, and it got much better as the season went on. It's slow-paced but really well done. I recommend it for those who like David Fincher, true crime shows, learning about serial killers, and things along those lines. It's also a character drama.

I also started to enjoy Groff's performance much more as the season went on. Especially when I read
that people are suspecting that his character is a psychopath or sociopath, similar in ways to the serial killers they interview on the show. Once I read that analysis, I could totally see it.
Hmmm I think you have a point with your spoiler there. I had another summation about Groff's character
I thought he was Aspergers. There was a kind of clinical way he dealt with things which was very much learned behaviour. Particularly the scene where he was running through the clues as to the girlfriend breaking up with him and then came to a realisation. I also thought he never quite realised in his ability to p*ss people off. Still I am happy to go with psycho/sociopath as well.

As for what else I have watched, I was a bit uncertain about the new Will & Grace but have really enjoyed it. Karen and Jack are as funny as ever and it is one of the few shows I can laugh out loud while watching on my own. My favourite part was
when Karen and Grace got caught in the shower and Karen couldn't remember the safety word.

Last edited:

puglover

Not sure if this has been mentioned up thread but I love the Australian series "Wanted". Parts of it are quite humorous. It follows the tale of two polar-opposite women who catch the same bus each day and end up witnessing and becoming involved in a hijacking/robbery/murder and go on the run together. I really loved the acting and the scenery of both Australia and New Zealand are amazing. Just two seasons, I believe, but talk of a third season.

Tesla

Whippet Good
Not sure if this has been mentioned up thread but I love the Australian series "Wanted". Parts of it are quite humorous. It follows the tale of two polar-opposite women who catch the same bus each day and end up witnessing and becoming involved in a hijacking/robbery/murder and go on the run together. I really loved the acting and the scenery of both Australia and New Zealand are amazing. Just two seasons, I believe, but talk of a third season.
I have this on my list. :)

Tesla

Whippet Good
@Spun Silver There's a new Swedish show on Acorn that you might enjoy. It's called Rebecka Martinsson. I have watched the first two episodes and am currently watching the third. The season is four two-parters. I like it, though the first case devastated me. The scenery is gorgeous, and so far, there aren't any characters I can't stand.

Spun Silver

@Tesla Oh my gosh. Just when I was about to cancel Acorn. I will keep it in mind -sounds right up my alley. Right now, however, thanks to you, I am buried in Midsomer Murders and apparently that show will never end. :) I didn’t know Acorn even had Swedish shows (or anything other than British stuff).

Tesla

Whippet Good
@Tesla Oh my gosh. Just when I was about to cancel Acorn. I will keep it in mind -sounds right up my alley. Right now, however, thanks to you, I am buried in Midsomer Murders and apparently that show will never end. :) I didn’t know Acorn even had Swedish shows (or anything other than British stuff).
Isn't Midsomer Murders awesome? I love that show!

Spun Silver

Isn't Midsomer Murders awesome? I love that show!
It has its charm. The bloodthirstiness of those nice little villages never ceases to amaze me. I liked the subplot where Joyce was trying to convince Barnaby to buy a house in the country and he said, “Joyce, in town you’re safe. In the countryside, anything goes!” Of course events proved him right. He always is. I am not sure I will want to keep on watching when Barnaby/Nettles leaves the show.

Tesla

Whippet Good
It has its charm. The bloodthirstiness of those nice little villages never ceases to amaze me. I liked the subplot where Joyce was trying to convince Barnaby to buy a house in the country and he said, “Joyce, in town you’re safe. In the countryside, anything goes!” Of course events proved him right. He always is. I am not sure I will want to keep on watching when Barnaby/Nettles leaves the show.
It's the Cabot Cove of England. :lol: I understand but give it a try after Nettles leaves.

Spun Silver

It's the Cabot Cove of England. :lol: I understand but give it a try after Nettles leaves.
I probably will ... it is nice to go to bed with a little humor mixed in with my blood. :) And there are so many fabulous British actors. Although I must say I miss Barnaby’s first lieutenant - he was so ridiculous and adorable.

Thanks for the CC reminder. I could use a little Jessica Fletcher too amid the holiday stress. BTW, do you like Monk? I just rewatched an old episode for the first time since it ended, and I still adore it.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I probably will ... it is nice to go to bed with a little humor mixed in with my blood. :) And there are so many fabulous British actors. Although I must say I miss Barnaby’s first lieutenant - he was so ridiculous and adorable.

Thanks for the CC reminder. I could use a little Jessica Fletcher too amid the holiday stress. BTW, do you like Monk? I just rewatched an old episode for the first time since it ended, and I still adore it.
Gavin Troy! He was great. I loved his driving. :lol:

I have never seen Monk.

Spun Silver

Gavin Troy! He was great. I loved his driving. :lol:

I have never seen Monk.
I miss his driving. I dont know why these actors leave such a winning show. I don’t think he’s done much since. Well, I understand about Nettles because how many times can you say “Good afternoon, I’m Detective Chief Inspector Barnaby and this is Detective Sergeant Troy” without losing your nettles?

Please do me a favor and watch Monk. It is one of the best American TV shows ever, a wonderful mix of laugh-out-loud comedy and drama. The drama is more a matter of puzzles than evil. I cant believe you wouldn’t love it. Monk is as lovable as Jessica Fletcher. :) And the supporting cast is too, esp his female assistants, both of them and the scary temp in between.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I started watching The Sinner last night. Got right into it and now 3 episodes in. Certainly has lots of twists and turns.

manhn

I finally watched The Crown. It was fine. But it seemed every episode began with Lizzie promising to do something and not do it or wanting something and not get it because the Queen has no actual power.

kittyjake5

Season 2 of "The Crown" starts Friday 12/8 on Netflix. I am looking forward to seeing what Lizzie and the
other Royals are up to especially Margaret.

ilovepaydays

I have begin binge watching from the beginning. I really like it do far. I think that John Lithgow portrayed one of the best, if not the best, Winston Churchills ever.

I have not gotten to season two yet, but I am looking forward to it. :)

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
Finished season 2 about an hour ago. Really, really good. I'll reserve more comments until more of you have finished the season.

gkelly

Thanks -- I watched the first episode last night. Don't know how long it will take me to get through the rest.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I was two episodes away from finishing The Crown when my Internet went out last night. :mad: Loving S2! I wasn't a big fan of the amount of attention Churchill got in S1 so I'm glad he's not a factor in S2. I find there's more humor this season, and I'm really enjoying the history lessons. On a superficial note, Margaret's wardrobe is the most divine. :swoon:

topaz

I will be starting The Crown season 2 tonight I think. I like the series. "Frontier" with Jason Momoa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information