The Skating Lesson

arakwafan2006

That's a direct quote from Adam, and good for him. Checks matter. See at 1:25 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OINK5QPZ8rA

The term is a euphemism for “‘I’m here to work, I’m going to do what i have to do I’m this job and keep it moving “. Adam always “ does it for the culture “... gay culture. I think that this is a situation where people aren’t up on their slang which made it read of something completely different to someone who didn’t know any better and quite frankly want to to talk shit. La is super vanilla and a cranky Bee-atch and keeps Dave’s miserable ass around because only he can make a depressed person seem like sunshine.

Adam’s comment was supposed to be funny in a sort of i coulda withdrawn and given up but i didn’t / hey, all that matters is i finished / I’ve worked too hard to give up / it wasn’t perfect but i handled my business kind of way.
La only hangs with pretentious stuck up people and Adam is slightly tacky lol

Last edited:

Willin

Seriously. The "I'm here for the check" joke (or similar sayings) are pretty darn common. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he first heard it on RuPaul's Drag Race - a lot of the contestants use that joke before, during, and after they're on the show. And we all know Adam is a huge fan of Drag Race and the various Queens from it. Not to mention he likes to use LGBT cultural references and phrases in his interviews.

It's not even just a drag thing. Marshawn Lynch's "I'm just here so I won't get fined" has been turned into a meme/joke that there are many variations of.

TBH I'm kinda surprised anyone was offended by it or assumed anything about Adam because of it. I thought it was a pretty obvious joke? Even if you didn't know the Drag Race/LGBT cultural lingo, you might be able to link it to the Marshawn Lynch meme.

Seerek

Ted Barton has been commentating Junior Grand Prix on the ISU Channel for 4 seasons and Dave Lease still doesn't know who he is and where he's from? Ack.

Plus: his continuing dissing of "politeness" in general (i.e. not an admirable quality) is not surprising...

Last edited:

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Ted Barton has been commentating Junior Grand Prix on the ISU Channel for 4 seasons and Dave Lease still doesn't know who he is and where he's from? Ack.

Plus: his continuing dissing of "politeness" in general (i.e. not an admirable quality) is not surprising...

Really? Dave said he didn’t know who Ted Barton was?

Ted, whose calm, quiet, respectful and analytical comments actually help you understand the skate and what happened? :respec:

Unlike .... well, never mind.....:rolleyes:

oleada

And Ted also comments on juniors, many of which are kids. Yes, it's a sport but he's talking about children. He's very nice (nicer than I am) but he is always informative, points out thing that I don't always notice and is so kind to these young skaters.

GreatLakesGal

He who shall not be named has been tweeting:

"Taking notes on junior ladies. Many are about the same. We have to choose which we can market and sell to the judges."

"A pretty face absolutely matters because this is skating."

"Is that unfair and somewhat offensive? Yes. Is it true? Absolutely. There are so many options we need to be selective with our investment."

Is the USFSA still giving this narcissist press credentials?

Willin

@Amantide I thought the ice dance conspiracy theories began with the V/M ubers? Or does Dave agree that there's some sort of fixing going on? I know the ubers said a few skating voices were espousing conspiracy theories about P/C's win...

Seriously though after all the drama this year with TSL how the heck did they get Sandra Bezic? Did she hold them in check enough that it's worth watching?

Amantide

@Amantide I thought the ice dance conspiracy theories began with the V/M ubers? Or does Dave agree that there's some sort of fixing going on? I know the ubers said a few skating voices were espousing conspiracy theories about P/C's win...

They started discussing Didier. :shuffle::blocjudge Didn't went on for long though, so there is that.

Seriously though after all the drama this year with TSL how the heck did they get Sandra Bezic? Did she hold them in check enough that it's worth watching?

:D
They make some interesting points about both programs. All in all, I think it's worth listening.

Last edited:

Debbie S

Is the drama they discuss all P/C vs V/M or are they also talking about the U.S. teams?

Kind of shocked that Sandra Bezic would agree to be on TSL. Then again, how much is she involved with the elite skating world at the moment?

Amantide

Is the drama they discuss all P/C vs V/M or are they also talking about the U.S. teams?

Kind of shocked that Sandra Bezic would agree to be on TSL. Then again, how much is she involved with the elite skating world at the moment?

I'm like half way through listening. It's over an hour but till now they haven't discussed any other couple in dance.
Started with V&M and P&C, following with the Ladies, and they are still speaking about them at 43:00.
Generally, I find her a bit too PC here. Especially if she is talking about skaters that she likes - or at least she is not averse to - and I find that boring.

Funny to hear her though change opinion about how the PCS are judged, when it comes to Osmond vs Satoko. lol

Last edited:

debo

Lol. Sandra loves Marie-France totally and has a “girl crush”, but when later asked about coach Eteri Sandra’s like all PC but “It’s not my style.” A good interview. TSL has had her on before.

VGThuy

Chapis pointed out to me at around 49:25, Sandra talks about Hubbell/Donohue and the Shibs. She had such great things to say about the Shibs, and it's pretty clear now how much Dave and Jonathan loathe them so I found that part entertaining.

Willin

Glad I watched that. I definitely agreed with a lot of what Sandra said - particularly when she was discussing the issues with PCS. I also found myself agreeing with Johnathan when he pointed out that the PCS are way too similar across the subsections. Seriously - there are skaters I'd give a 10 to in performance and a 6 in skating skills (Ashley comes to mind). There's no way every PCS mark should be within 1 point of each other.

Amantide

Chapis pointed out to me at around 49:25, Sandra talks about Hubbell/Donohue and the Shibs. She had such great things to say about the Shibs, and it's pretty clear now how much Dave and Jonathan loathe them so I found that part entertaining.

Yeah briefly. They asked her which USA couple she likes most and she said H&D for their earthy quality and sensuality, and the Shibs. She said Shibs have fantastic SS, she has always liked them and she appreciate how hard it has been for them being a brother&sister, with today choreo etc.etc.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Appreciate everything Sandra had done for the sport. Do not appreciate fueling conspiracy theories and trivializing the achievement and momentum that P/C have at the moment. GPF is nothing? Think of it as a stepping stone or a gauntlet thrown. But she is Canadian, so there's that.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Hmmm, a few things about the Grenoble 'crying in the bathroom' fiasco:
1. Jonathan had the nerve during the France GP recap to comment about someone other than himself needing to 'think before tweeting' :rolleyes:

2. Dave & Jonathan blew an opportunity to walk back Jonathan's egregious tweet -- instead they decided to double-down, pat each other on the back and learn nothing;

3. Who are these former 7K 'families' Dave keeps speaking of? If 'families' have something urgent that needs to be said, they should step out and say it, and stop hiding behind TSL!

4. Jonathan needs to go back & check his snarky comments on past recaps & not be so full of himself -- especially don't expect to say off-the-wall stuff about skaters and/or their coaches, and then go to an event thinking everyone is going to be in a civil mood, much less be willing to greet you with open arms, or be otherwise chummy and want to spend time hanging out cheesing;

5. Generally if you are serious about leaving the sport as a self-appointed observer/critic, it's a waste of time & energy making an announcement on Twitter -- Jonathan apparently just wanted sympathy, and he got it from OTT sycophants;

6. It's a good idea to not mess with other people's livelihoods, and to think twice or sleep on it rather than impulsively indulge in exaggerated accusations;

7. Wipe those tears, suck it up and face negativity from others, that you planted -- you reap what you sow. P.S. If you are leaving something Jonathan, BYE! And don't bother slamming the door on your way out, crybaby.

Dave seems sorely in need of some sleep, a skilled podcast editor, and a disciplined, organized producer-director, among other things. :drama: Not to mention a strategic reassessment of his overall 'intentions.' It might be helpful to start with toning down his and his co-host's egos. They need to recognize that if they have something to contribute to the sport, they shouldn't be making it so much more about themselves and their huge egos, than about the topics they enjoy dishing on.

Apparently TSL still has a following, as well as people still interested in appearing on the podcast, and giving them another chance, what with Sandra Bezic showing up. I'm not sure how involved Sandra currently is in the sport, aside from working with Luba/Dylan recently, in collaboration with David Wilson. Sandra is passionate and knowledgeable (if at times precious and overly biased). Plus, she was a good choreographer who was unfairly made to choose between commentating vs choreographing back in the day; Tracy Wilson doesn't have to choose between the coaching work she does with skaters vs commentating). I haven't listened to the podcast with Sandra, but I might find the time to skim through. Most of the podcasts are simply too rambling & disorganized, overlong, and in need of judicious editing. Does Dave aspire to be the snarky, cruel, gossip-mongering Walter Winchell of figure skating? Or what?

Just for fun, I ran an anagram generator for the name, Jonathan Beyer. The first thing that came up was: A Berate Johnny

Very apt. FWIW, here's some 'Wu-Tang mess.be' name generator aliases. Again, there's no way to make these up. It's actually what comes up when the names are entered: :COP:
David Lease = Phantom Mercenary
Jonathan Beyer = X-cessive Madman
La Scheu = Amateur Commander
Sandra Bezic = E-ratic Observer

Last edited:

IceAlisa

I agree with her assessment of the misuse of PCS and how while TES should reflect the physical challenge of backloading, PCS should drop in CH. I've been saying ever since I'd seen my first backloaded program.

OTOH, there's Kostornaia who manages to make her backloading look seamless. :shuffle:

I also like her mention of restraint in choreography. I think of it as elegance and eloquence. I would love that to be rewarded in PCS, not meaningless flailing for the sake of looking busy.

My favorite quote is on the Russian ladies:

"Evgenia has "it" quality. She is a star, that fabulous. Alina is young. And wearing stuff."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:

MAXSwagg

The performance mark is not used appropriately. By IJS's own definitions, a 5.00 counts as "average" and a 7.00 is "good" so I don't see how a skate with a fall, let alone 2 or more, can warrant anything higher than 7.00, for anyone. A performance with a fall certainly is not "good." And, of course, many of the components are improperly scored. Many of the skaters who are getting 9s or high 8s I would not call "superior" for any of the components, especially when the cut-off for "average" is a 5.00. While TES and GOEs are supposed to and should examine the minutia of a program, the components should be assess from a holistic standpoint. Even GOEs should be as well. Instead of counting up boxes, GOE should be looked at as "was this element EXTRAORDINARY?" If the skater just "did" it and there's nothing special, that should be a 0 or +1. GOEs are handed out like candy.

Amantide

I'm not sure how involved Sandra currently is in the sport, aside from working with Luba/Dylan recently, in collaboration with David Wilson.
She said that she isn't involved at the moment.

The performance mark is not used appropriately. By IJS's own definitions, a 5.00 counts as "average" and a 7.00 is "good" so I don't see how a skate with a fall, let alone 2 or more, can warrant anything higher than 7.00, for anyone. A performance with a fall certainly is not "good."

Not all falls are the same, therefore not all affect the IN&PE.

IceAlisa

There is no reason to penalize a fall twice, in TES AND in PCS. This is exactly the problem. A clean performance that's robotic and uninspired automatically gets PCS inflation which was not the purpose of PCS, but the opposite.

Anyasnake

Appreciate everything Sandra had done for the sport. Do not appreciate fueling conspiracy theories and trivializing the achievement and momentum that P/C have at the moment. GPF is nothing? Think of it as a stepping stone or a gauntlet thrown. But she is Canadian, so there's that.
:eek:
Competitions are everything for an Ice Dancer. That's why in singles you can afford to miss 4CC and not in Ice Dance (except in Olympic years). You need the maximum of showind to adapt your Dance programs to a competition mood.

I think that "reducing" what P/C have done and are doing to just "momentum" is very false. It's not their fault if people/judges/commentators respond well to BOTH their programs, and that they are so good technically and get even better as the season progresses. They're not the only one too : Shibs, H/D have had a tremendous improvement in theirs. Consequence : 2 worlds medal for Shibs and H/D rise (that could end up with them taking a world medal and the possibility of a Olympic medal).
I understand everyone, including me, have V/M on a pedestal about technique. But if the French are better are highlighting theirs, doesn't that says a lot ?

Amantide

:eek:
Competitions are everything for an Ice Dancer. That's why in singles you can afford to miss 4CC and not in Ice Dance (except in Olympic years). You need the maximum of showind to adapt your Dance programs to a competition mood.

I think that "reducing" what P/C have done and are doing to just "momentum" is very false. It's not their fault if people/judges/commentators respond well to BOTH their programs, and that they are so good technically and get even better as the season progresses. They're not the only one too : Shibs, H/D have had a tremendous improvement in theirs. I understand everyone, including me, have V/M on a pedestal about technique. But if the French are better are highlighting theirs, doesn't that says a lot ?

I think she was ref. more to the Men, because the question was about the absence of Xavi and Yuzuru.
If I understood her correctly, she said that it is a bit different for Singles and that Pairs and Ice Dance are using it good.

aftershocks

Banned Member
So, I guess Dave is successful in nabbing Sandra and getting perhaps some more diehard skating fans to watch/listen. Seriously the No Russia No Games and the This 'n That GPF Preview were not worth listening to. Maybe TSL should only be an audio podcast, as without Jenny and with no skater interviews, the visuals aren't very engaging or entertaining.

I will probably check out the latest with Sandra Bezic, since it's gotten good reviews. Dave has certainly been rapping out episodes at a lickety-split pace since Grenoble. Trying to gain some distance and build better positive momentum perhaps.

Last edited:

IceAlisa

I think she was ref. more to the Men, because the question was about the absence of Xavi and Yuzuru.
If I understood her correctly, she said that it is a bit different for Singles and that Pairs and Ice Dance are using it good.
No, she was specifically talking about V/M and P/C when she said GPF is nothing.

Anyasnake

Oh I thought she said that because of the dance results. For sure, Pairs and Dance have to make the maximum of every of their outings. It's harder for them (especially Dance) to get the PCS up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information