Waffle cone ice cream
Vanilla ice cream
Chocolate ice cream
Almond cake from IKEA

I love that your desert list is almost as long as your dinner menu

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
Rotisserie turkey breast
Stuffing (or as we call it here dressing)
Green beans
Corn
Macaroni salad
Rolls
Sweet Potatoes

Dessert:
Apple stack cake.

ilovepaydays

Chicken is roasting in oven and dressing is prepped.

Went ahead and made the mashed potatoes, chicken gravy, and mac & cheese. Eating that while watching The National Dog Show on NBC.

Thrilled that the whippet won the hound group. Herding group is out right now.

Susan1

Chicken is roasting in oven and dressing is prepped.

Went ahead and made the mashed potatoes, chicken gravy, and mac & cheese. Eating that while watching The National Dog Show on NBC.

Thrilled that the whippet won the hound group. Herding group is out right now.

What's with only showing a few dogs? I've always forgotten it was on till after the hounds that are on first because I was listening to Alice's Restaurant at noon for 20 minutes, so I DVRd it this morning and went to watch it later. I guess I wasn't missing ALL the hounds before?

debo

We're doing our own thing at our house Friday after in-law madness on Thursday.

At our house...

Turkey
Dressing
Gravy
Hawaiian rolls
Green bean casserole
Cream corn
Mashed potatoes

Just curious. Two sets of in-laws? Are they both having turkey? :)

Vagabond

The locally sourced free-range turkey plan didn't pan out. There's always next year. :shuffle:

I'm having:

Champagne
Duck confit
Pareve lukshen kugel
Cranberry orange relish
Salad
Hazelnut ice cream

And did I mention champagne? :)

oleada

We hosted our first Thanksgiving. I had to work til 8 yesterday and it was only my husband, my mother and brother. We had:

Turkey (ordered a roasted one from Whole Foods)
Mashed potatoes (same)
Baked Mac and cheese
Salad
Cranberry sauce
Rolls
Pecan pie (my mom made)
Apple pie (ordered)

sk8pics

At my cousin's house we had
Turkey --one traditional and one smoked
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes
Sautéed green beans with roasted pine nuts
Roasted parsnips & squash
Salad

And for dessert
Pumpkin pie
Apple pie
Chocolate pie
My famous M&M cookies.

And Sea Smoke wine --so good!

Sarah

We had:

Squash soup
Turkey
Gluten free gravy
Gluten free stuffing and regular stuffing
Mashed potatoes (dairy free)
This amazing polenta vegetable bake with goat mozzarella
Peas
Brussels sprouts (with some sort of mustard which rendered them inedible as I don't do mustard so I was forced to skip them)
Cranberry relish

Gluten free and dairy free apple pie
Gluten and dairy free pumpkin pie
Chocolate cake (filled with gluten and possibly dairy)
Vanilla Coconut milk ice cream

I made the 2 pies and was a nervous wreck about the crust but they turned out really well and I don't think you could tell that they were gluten free (I can't remember what real gluten or dairy tastes like but everyone told me they would not have known except that I was eating them). The pumpkin tasted like real pumpkin pie, so much better than the dairy free recipe I tried last year. I forgot how much I missed pumpkin pie!

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Just waddled back from my sisters. Nine of us. We had:
Appetizers:
Hummous
Onion cream cheese dip
Pepperoni
Crackers

Main course:
Turkey
Ham
Herb stuffing
Mac n cheese
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Sweet and sour carrots with pumpkin seeds
Grilled butternut squash with craisins
Creamed corn
Cranberry orange sauce
Dinner rolls

Dessert:
Apple crumb pie
Carrot cake
Peanut butter ripple ice cream

Now to sleep for the next three days:lol:

Happy Thanksgiving!

quartz

scratching at the light
Worked 6 hours at one job and 6 1/2 at the other. Had cashews and orange juice for dinner. It’s 1130pm and I am having a big giant huge glass of wine even though I have to be back at work in less than 10 hours again. :drama:
Sounds like you all had lovely dinners and I will have to live vicariously through you for the skating tomorrow too. :cheer:

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I'm still stuffed and didn't eat supper. I won't be able to watch SKAM because my son is still here and I want to spend time with them. SKAM or family who comes home once every 6 months and can't wait to leave. Yet his SO has changed his mind and he stays longer but still.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Stuck in airport in Vegas, ate Wolfgang Puck turkey sandwich was so yummy as I’m not a fan of turkey, I’m not American either but all the turkey obsession gave me cravings lol. Happy Thanksgiving to those celebrating. We do game meats or lamb usually for our Christmas or Canadian thanksgiving.

Vagabond

Pareve Lukshen Kugel​

8 oz. flat, broad egg noodles
2 eggs
2 tbl. canola oil
½ tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350◦.

Boil the noodles. Drain them, but not too thoroughly.

Separate the eggs. Combine the yolks, oil, and salt and then mix the combination in with the noodles. Beat the whites until stiff and then fold them in with the other ingredients.

Bake at 350◦ for 40 minutes or until the top of the kugel begins to turn brown.

Just like the Pilgrims made it. :)

Japanfan

My grandmother and mother used to make a similar savory kugel, but with spaghetti noodles and chicken fat, and a packet of Lipton's onion soup added. And no egg separating involved. It was all sorts of divine!

But I guess it is no longer a culinary correct food, because of the chicken fat. :(

Last edited:

Vagabond

I suspect that my mother learned from her mother and may even have used schmaltz, at least in her younger days.

I do remember always being equal parts :wideeyes: :confused: and :eek: at the dairy lukshen kugels my father's cousins used to serve.

KCC

We hosted our first Thanksgiving. I had to work til 8 yesterday and it was only my husband, my mother and brother. We had:

Turkey (ordered a roasted one from Whole Foods)
Mashed potatoes (same)
Baked Mac and cheese
Salad
Cranberry sauce
Rolls
Pecan pie (my mom made)
Apple pie (ordered)

Because everyone here has major home remodeling and moving going on, we and our friends ordered our turkey dinner from Kroger's. Unfortunately, the store's warehouse had some kind of major issue with packaging being punctured, leaving the deli workers scrambling to gather enough packages of pre made food to fill all of their orders. Im not sure what it have been like without the packaging problems & substitutions and the frantic folks at Kroger's were doing everything they could to make things right, but the quality was far from home made.

We may try ordering from Whole Foods in the future. What did you think about the quality of your order? We're the foods made locally or were the sides packages from their frozen foods selections?

oleada

We may try ordering from Whole Foods in the future. What did you think about the quality of your order? We're the foods made locally or were the sides packages from their frozen foods selections?

The turkey was good but a bit dry, though I'm not sure if that's Whole Foods or just turkey in general. The mashed potatoes were good if not great. I think that if we had added a little butter or milk, then reheated it, it would have been perfect.

Japanfan

The turkey was good but a bit dry, though I'm not sure if that's Whole Foods or just turkey in general.

Cooked properly, turkeys should not be dry. We always brine our turkeys, and cook them in a wine/broth bath, and they are incredibly moist.

I'm sure there must be other methods for ensuring that turkeys are moist, but I'm not sure what they are. Basting alone doesn't do it, I don't think.

These past few years I've had Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners at a friend's, as Mr. Japanfan always works on the holidays and we have our holiday turkeys the Tuesday after the holiday weekend (or whatever day he's got off, if the holiday falls on a weekday).
My friend is no slouch as a cook, and I enjoy her parties immensely, particularly the company and liberal consumption of :nopryde:.

But, I'm always grateful to have a turkey to look forward to at home after eating her turkey, to be honest. :slinkaway The turkey alone suffices, and we've no need for sides other than maybe some roast potations.

Seems to me that some people seem to think the mere act of browning the bird suffices to make it a masterpiece. :slinkaway

The mashed potatoes were good if not great. I think that if we had added a little butter or milk, then reheated it, it would have been perfect.

I make mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving at my friend's. I used cream and butter, with a touch of salt and lots of fresh ground pepper. They were a hit. But I really, really do not want to peel potatoes - it took me about one hour and my hand/wrist got really sore! I'll have either mashed potatoes with the skins included, or I'll just roast them.

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Roast turkey
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
a million gazillion Russian appetizers only the older generation eats
Cranberry sauce with whole cranberries (best thing about turkey)
Quinoa, red potato, caramelized bell pepper, and sour cherry dressing
Roasted butternut squash
Persimmon, pomegranate, toasted slivered almond, gorgonzola, greens salad
Sour cream cake
Bloody marys
Tea

Salads, dressing, and squash made by me, cake baked by my aunt, the rest provided by my parents

clairecloutier

@Japanfan I peeled my potatoes (for mashed potatoes) after boiling them. Skins come off much quicker that way. (Although, it means you have to spend some time scrubbing dirt off the skins before boiling.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information