ISU Grand Prix Assignments 2017/18 Olympic season

barbarafan

Which wouldn't dictate withdrawing from Skate America.

But didn't they withdraw from their other Grand Prix event? Perhaps one of them is injured. :unsure:

Except that Tkachenko didn't meet the statutory requirements for citizenship. He's not Jewish, he's not of Jewish ancestry, and there is no longer a right to Israeli citizenship through marriage. Nothing has changed in this regard since the two of them paired up.

I'm sure she was. But she's already been to the Olympics, and it's Tkachenko should have (must have?) been aware of the risk. He's never been to the Olympics, and by choosing to represent Israel without doing what would have enabled him to get citizenship (Hint: It involves a snip and a dunk.), he consigned himself to staying home.

:violin:
Oh

barbarafan

I don't see anything on Hendrickx's social media yet to explain why he's out.

• Firus is in for Hendrickx.
  • Sadovsky is in for Petrov.
  • Yan is in for Cha.
  • Sakhanovich is in for Pogorilaya.
Did I miss anyone?

Choi and Tobias/Tkachenko have not been replaced to date.

So maybe Saucisse/Firus would work along with Emy Decelles or Alicia P.
That selection would not challenge medals this year and would be great experience for them. Emy may not have unpacked yet from Warsaw.

Dobre

So maybe Saucisse/Firus would work

There are six dance teams actually on the replacement list & living in North America who could be selected. Some of them may be currently elsewhere or exhausted (Nazarova & Nikitin competed the last two weekends in Japan & Poland); but one would hope that at least one of the teams actually on the list would be available. This is only the second open spot on the GP in dance all season.

barbarafan

There are six dance teams actually on the replacement list & living in North America who could be selected. Some of them may be currently elsewhere or exhausted (Nazarova & Nikitin competed the last two weekends in Japan & Poland); but one would hope that at least one of the teams actually on the list would be available. This is only the second open spot on the GP in dance all season.

who are the 6? yes NN would be great as well.I wonder if Fabien or Igor would go?? They just returned from France..How about air reservations re holiday? As well they are quite strong and US does not have to replace.

barbarafan

Actually there are 7 teams on the replacement list that train in North America (I thought so, but counted wrong earlier on the list):

Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson
Coomes & Buckland
Nazarova & Nikitin
Lorenz & Polizoakis
Min & Gamelin
Mansour & Ceska
Smart & Diaz
some of these could be a threat for a medal.
How about Roblero/Fenero for spain...training in mtl ?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
So far on this season's SB list (GP's and CS):

5 189.24 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2017
6 186.56 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA ISU GP NHK Trophy 2017
10 177.15 Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV RUS ISU GP NHK Trophy 2017

11 177.13 Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND GBR ISU CS Nebelhorn Trophy 2017
12 172.29 Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2017
14 169.81 Tiffani ZAGORSKI / Jonathan GUERREIRO RUS ISU CS Minsk Arena Ice Star 2017
15 165.2 Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA ISU GP Skate Canada International 2017

16 164.4 Laurence FOURNIER BEAUDRY / Nikolaj SORENSEN DEN ISU GP NHK Trophy 2017
18 163.14 Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS USA ISU CS Ondrej Nepela Trophy 2017
19 160.88 Alexandra NAZAROVA / Maxim NIKITIN UKR ISU GP NHK Trophy 2017
21 159.3 Kana MURAMOTO / Chris REED JPN ISU CS Nebelhorn Trophy 2017
24 155.56 Olivia SMART / Adria DIAZ ESP ISU CS Autumn Classic International 2017
26 154.6 Carolane SOUCISSE / Shane FIRUS CAN ISU CS Finlandia Trophy 2017
28 152.5 Kavita LORENZ / Joti POLIZOAKIS GER ISU CS Nebelhorn Trophy 2017
29 152 Yura MIN / Alexander GAMELIN KOR ISU CS Minsk Arena Ice Star 2017
30 151.17 Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIU CHN ISU GP Audi Cup of China 2017

42 143.44 Cortney MANSOUR / Michal CESKA CZE ISU CS Nebelhorn Trophy 2017
ETA: Robledo/Fenero are SB 83, and they haven't won an early season CS; requirement for a non-host spot is SB 75 or winning an early season CS.

Dobre

some of these could be a threat for a medal.

I doubt it, though inviting the top scoring teams would be more fun to watch. That's for sure. Likely medal hopes, though, are Gilles & Poirier, Sinitsina & Katsalapov (wild cards), and maybe Hawayek & Baker (defeated S&K last season). Coomes & Buckland, Fournier-Beaudry & Sorenson, and Zagorsky & Guerreiro could maybe defeat Hawayek & Baker. I don't think it's the more likely scenario. Despite the high scores at Nebelhorn, C&B's marks at NHK didn't hold up (I do think Igor will be fixing the levels in the FD), and F-B&S haven't defeated H&B for over a year, despite H&B having a fall during the last head-to-head.

Those teams could likewise defeat the Parsons, but in general SA invited a deep field. My guess is they aren't too worried about the lower U.S. teams. Up to those teams to prove themselves, and they are more than capable of doing so. All the U.S. teams are solid. At the very least, they should be able to best Min & Gamelin, Lorenz & Polizoakis (who have a beautiful program but aren't very fast) and Mansour & Ceska, who lost to the Parsons at Nepela.

Last edited:

Catherine M

With Dance and Ladies not until Saturday/Sunday, there is an extra day to get those spots filled compared to the men's opening but Thanksgiving really limits their choices so if dance is filled, wouldn't surprise me if its a team from Montreal over one of the Detroit teams. No clue who could fill the ladies one as I don't think any Montreal based skater is on the sub list.

swissskate

The German L&P are supposed to compete in Tallinn this week so I don‘t think they will be considered.

shuilee

Shane Firus could easily car-pool with big bro Liam to Lake Placid. Soucisse/Firus have Canadian passports and easily cross the border. The Danes might have more difficulty getting into US in such short notice. I think it's the Canadian-based Montreal team would make the most logistic sense.

RoseRed

I thought Penny and Nick were promised to get a (second) spot as they were overlooked wrongly in the initial process.
Why? The rules for return skaters made it sound like they should have gotten one, but only skaters in the Comeback category (like V/M last season) are guaranteed two spots. Penny and Nick were never top 6 at Worlds, so they could only be return skaters.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The rules don't guarantee spots to anyone but:
  • Top 12 at prior Worlds (two)
  • Top 24 SB (one)
  • Top 24 WS and not SB 24 (one)
plus eligible by ISU rules for senior comps and submitted by the member. If there are enough spots, which, in Pairs, has not been a mathematically certainty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information