David Cassidy has died (threads merged)

Skate Talker

So sad to hear. I think he was my 2nd or 3rd crush. (Davy Jones of the Monkeys was first iirc, or David McCallum in Man from U.N.C.L E. Obviously I was a sucker for a British accent.)

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
Was David Cassidy the one where he recorded a video of himself almost passed out drunk, with his daughter (now-actress Katie, I think) crying and begging him not to drink anymore? This would have been like 15ish years ago.

The article is typical TMZ trash, but very sorry if it is the end of another childhood icon.

ETA: I'd forgotten that he announced earlier this year that he'd been living with dementia and had retired from performing. :(

Karina1974

^^^ He was charged with felony DWI up in my area some years ago. Schodack is not too far from where I live, and I do drive out that way on occasion.

https://www.newsday.com/entertainme...with-felony-dwi-in-upstate-new-york-1.5931376

SCHODACK, N.Y. - Singer-actor David Cassidy was charged with drunken driving in upstate New York early Wednesday, his second such arrest in three years.

The former teen idol from the 1970s musical sitcom "The Partridge Family" was charged with felony driving while intoxicated and failure to dim headlights after being stopped at a DWI checkpoint shortly after midnight Wednesday morning, according to The Record, of Troy, N.Y. He had been visiting area friends with his fiancee and had just exited Interstate 90 near Schodack, about 15 miles southeast of Albany, when he was stopped after failing to lower the high beams of his rental car.

Police said a field sobriety test showed Cassidy had a 0.10 blood-alcohol concentration. The limit for non-commercial drivers in New York State is 0.08. He was arraigned at the Schodack Justice Court and taken to Rensselaer County Jail, where he posted $2,500 bail.

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
Was David Cassidy the one where he recorded a video of himself almost passed out drunk, with his daughter (now-actress Katie, I think) crying and begging him not to drink anymore? This would have been like 15ish years ago.
No, that was David Hasselhoff (Baywatch).

Lorac

RIP David. I never crushed on him (I was a Donny Osmond girl) but I enjoyed the Partridge Family.

Another from my childhood gone too soon :(

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
He was a crush of mine too, after Davy Jones & Bobby Sherman.

He was my fourth, after Paul McCartney, Jones and Sherman. :( He actually had a tough life in a lot of ways, RIP.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I highly recommend David Cassidy's 2007 autobiography Could It Be Forever? There was so much more to him than the teen pop idol so many of us remember, and it does a lot to explain the struggles he went through later in life. He was a very talented performer who got slotted into something very early that he never really wanted, and that he spent much of his life trying to escape.

annie720

I highly recommend David Cassidy's 2007 autobiography Could It Be Forever? There was so much more to him than the teen pop idol so many of us remember, and it does a lot to explain the struggles he went through later in life. He was a very talented performer who got slotted into something very early that he never really wanted, and that he spent much of his life trying to escape.

Thanks for this. I'd like to read it and I see there's a Kindle version for $5.99.

RIP, David. Much too young.

peibeck

Simply looking
The last show I worked at on Broadway, back when I was living in NYC, was "Blood Brothers." David and Shaun Cassidy replaced the original British cast members, and (along with Petula Clark) were a big audience draw.

I can say from first hand experience, that he very, very, very much loved his young (at that time) son, which was wonderful to see. He definitely had some paranoia about his fans (some of whom specifically traveled the globe to see the show with him in it) which seemed linked to his mega 1970's popularity. (i.e. he would do things like disguise himself and come out the front entrance of the theatre, rather than through the stage door). At that point, he was not drinking at all but had suffered from problems with it earlier in his life. I was sad to hear his demons caught up with him again later. May he rest in peace now.

Lorac

The last show I worked at on Broadway, back when I was living in NYC, was "Blood Brothers." David and Shaun Cassidy replaced the original British cast members, and (along with Petula Clark) were a big audience draw.

I can say from first hand experience, that he very, very, very much loved his young (at that time) son, which was wonderful to see. He definitely had some paranoia about his fans (some of whom specifically traveled the globe to see the show with him in it) which seemed linked to his mega 1970's popularity. (i.e. he would do things like disguise himself and come out the front entrance of the theatre, rather than through the stage door). At that point, he was not drinking at all but had suffered from problems with it earlier in his life. I was sad to hear his demons caught up with him again later. May he rest in peace now.

There was an incident in 1974 in the UK where a young fan died after getting crushed after a gate stampede and many others were injured. This impacted David Cassidy deeply and I think he gave up the big touring shows not long after. I'm sure that coloured his views when he saw fans pushing forwards to want to get his autograph etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Cassidy

A turning point in Cassidy's live concerts (while still filming The Partridge Family) was a gate stampede which killed a teenage girl. At a show in London's White City Stadium on May 26, 1974, nearly 800 were injured in a crush at the front of the stage. Thirty were taken to the hospital, and one, 14-year-old Bernadette Whelan, died four days later at London's Hammersmith Hospital without regaining consciousness after the excitement and press of the crowd caused a pre-existing heart condition to trigger cardiac arrest.[15] The show was the penultimate date on a world tour. A deeply affected Cassidy faced the press, trying to make sense of what had happened. Out of respect for the family and to avoid turning the girl's funeral into a media circus, Cassidy did not attend the service, although he spoke to Whelan's parents and sent flowers. Cassidy stated at the time that this would haunt him until the day he died.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information