From Russia with love [#28]: Autumn to Winter 2017

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.

Ka3sha

Not sure, if I should start a new thread for that, but Evgenia Medvedeva might withdraw from GPF
http://fsrussia.ru/intervyu/3390-ev...ale-gran-pri-nesmotrya-na-obstoyatelstva.html

Few days before CoR she felt the pain in her right foot, but she didn't pay attention to that (as it's a common thing for a top level athlete). 2-3 days before the event the pain intensified and they came to the doctors, she was diagnosed with the crack in the metatarsal bone on the right foot. At the CoR she skated after having few painkiller injections, then immediately went to Germany, where the diagnosis was confirmed.
She didn't have enough time to heal her injury properly between Rostelecom and NHK, despite training less hours. She skated her LP using a very strong painkillers again. Now she is doing a rehabilitation, the doctors put a cast on her foot. She hopes to compete at GPF no matter what and will WD only if her doctors forbid it.

Last edited:

Amantide

It's unfortunate but better to withdraw and heal up before the Olympics. She already has two GPF titles and it's not as big a deal this year.

This.
It doesn't matter at all who wins the GPF, if you don't deliver when it counts most, the Oylmpics. Besides, Europeans are after the GPF and just before the Olympics. She can take back whatever upper hand that Zagitova might get at the GPF.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Not sure, if I should start a new thread for that, but Evgenia Medvedeva might withdraw from GPF
http://fsrussia.ru/intervyu/3390-ev...ale-gran-pri-nesmotrya-na-obstoyatelstva.html

Few days before CoR she felt the pain in her right foot, but she didn't pay attention to that (as it's a common thing for a top level athlete). 2-3 days before the event the pain intensified and they came to the doctors, she was diagnosed with the crack in the metatarsal bone on the right foot. At the CoR she skated after having few painkiller injections, then immediately went to Germany, where the diagnosis was confirmed.
She didn't have enough time to heal her injury properly between Rostelecom and NHK, despite training less hours. She skated her LP using a very strong painkillers again. Now she is doing a rehabilitation, the doctors put a cast on her foot. She hopes to compete at GPF no matter what and will WD only if her doctors forbid it.

Terrible news. I hope she will withdraw from the GPF and not risk a more serious injury. What a time for this to happen! This is the Olympic season and she was such a heavy favorite for the OGM! I hope the doctors will forbid her to compete at this time. Who cares about the GPF? Hanyu is not going to risk his health. He has his eyes on the real prize, the OGM. I wish Zhenya would follow his example.

oleada

This.
It doesn't matter at all who wins the GPF, if you don't deliver when it counts most, the Oylmpics. Besides, Europeans are after the GPF and just before the Olympics. She can take back whatever upper hand that Zagitova get at the GPF.

Plus, if she skates like NHK, she could lose to Zagitova anyway.

Tinami Amori

(from everything i heard and read). Evgenia wants to skate in GPF but know she has an injury to take care of, but she said she intends to skate, it is an honor/accompishment to make GP Finals.....
https://rsport.ria.ru/figure_skating/20171121/1128980678.html

..... Eteri plans to stop her; her argument is "Zhenya has 3 competitions before Oly, almost back to back, with just few weeks apart, GPF, Russian Nationals and Europeans. It is unwise to put so much stress on the fracture."

Eteri will win... :D

hanca

Values her privacy
I am sure they would forgive her not competing at the Russian nationals. Her competition results are strong enough to send her to Europeans even without competing at the nationals. And I don’t think the international judges would care whether she is the national champion this year or not. I think she can afford to take some time off, and then just get ready for Europeans.

oleada

(from everything i heard and read). Evgenia wants to skate in GPF but know she has an injury to take care of, but she said she intends to skate, it is an honor/accompishment to make GP Finals.....

..... Eteri plans to stop her; her argument is "Zhenya has 3 competitions before Oly, almost back to back, with just few weeks apart, GPF, Russian Nationals and Europeans. It is unwise to put so much stress on the fracture."

Hopefully!
Skip the GPF (and Nationals, too, if needed) and be back in top shape for Euros. She's more than proven she deserves to be at the Olympics and I have no doubt she'll be on the team if she's healthy.

VGThuy

This is very Michelle Kwan withdrawing from the 1997-1998 GPF due to a bone fracture, though it was on Kwan's left toe and not on her right foot like Med's injury. A crack in the metatarsal bone on the right foot sounds incredibly painful.

Tinami Amori

Hopefully!
Skip the GPF (and Nationals, too, if needed) and be back in top shape for Euros. She's more than proven she deserves to be at the Olympics and I have no doubt she'll be on the team if she's healthy.
You're right, Med does not need to skate in Russian Nationals, she got the spot. It's a choice between GPF and Euros, pending doctors' conclusions.

Ka3sha

From where did you get that Eteri’s quote?
Eteri’s opinion on Evgenia’s injury and her future plans isn’t mentioned in the Rsport’s article :shuffle:

Tinami Amori

From where did you get that Eteri’s quote?
Eteri’s opinion on Evgenia’s injury and her future plans isn’t mentioned in the Rsport’s article :shuffle:
It's not in the article. I said "(from everything i heard and read)".

But i want to be a fly on the wall at the rink when the Fight of the Century starts... :D
Med says "I have a cast on my foot now, but MADE UP MY MIND to skate in GPF".....:EVILLE:
https://www.championat.com/other/ne...u-vsjo-chtoby-vystupit-v-finale-gran-pri.html

" Мне будет очень тяжело наблюдать со стороны за борьбой спортсменов. Тем более что я отобралась в финал. И это будут первые в моей карьере соревнования, которые я пропущу из-за травмы. Но я очень надеюсь, что этого не произойдёт. Во всяком случае для себя я приняла решение, что выступлю в финале Гран-при, несмотря ни на что".

"I can't sit and watch from the sidelines the competition. After all, i made it to the Final.. this may be my first in my career competition which i would miss, because of injury. But i hope it will not happen. In any case, i've decided for myself that i will skate in GPF, no matter what."

Last edited:

Fairuza

Not for the first time, I have to ask - where did you get that Eteri comment? There's simply none in the article you linked.

Tinami Amori

Yeah, could you kindly give the links? Because this is the only place where I see them - and I am following several Russian forums...
If i have time to search later on today, all the sites i check for skating news, i will.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
It's not in the article. I said "(from everything i heard and read)".

But i want to be a fly on the wall at the rink when the Fight of the Century starts... :D
Med says "I have a cast on my foot now, but MADE UP MY MIND to skate in GPF".....:EVILLE:
https://www.championat.com/other/ne...u-vsjo-chtoby-vystupit-v-finale-gran-pri.html

" Мне будет очень тяжело наблюдать со стороны за борьбой спортсменов. Тем более что я отобралась в финал. И это будут первые в моей карьере соревнования, которые я пропущу из-за травмы. Но я очень надеюсь, что этого не произойдёт. Во всяком случае для себя я приняла решение, что выступлю в финале Гран-при, несмотря ни на что".

"I can't sit and watch from the sidelines the competition. After all, i made it to the Final.. this may be my first in my career competition which i would miss, because of injury. But i hope it will not happen. In any case, i've decided for myself that i will skate in GPF, no matter what."
Well, her mind may be made up.....but with a cast on her foot (most likely a boot) her body may not agree with her.

If she doesn't let it completely heal, she may miss a lot more than the GPF.

Fairuza

If i have time to search later on today, all the sites i check for skating news, i will.
So before you grace us with your time and effort, we can take your 'news' you supplied with a pinch of salt? As my belief is that if any Eteri interview or comment gets published now, it'll just go about the Russian social media in no time at all. Information available on only English-language forum from a poster who has been known to interpret things very creatively sounds hardly credible to me.
Let alone the fact your link is pretty useless - it reiterates verbatim what has been said in the interview itself.

Tinami Amori

So before you grace us with your time and effort, we can take your 'news' you supplied with a pinch of salt? As my belief is that if any Eteri interview or comment gets published now, it'll just go about the Russian social media in no time at all. Information available on only English-language forum from a poster who has been known to interpret things very creatively sounds hardly credible to me.
Let alone the fact your link is pretty useless - it reiterates verbatim what has been said in the interview itself.
Don't get your panties in a twist.. :lol:. There is nothing earth-shaking in a summary that a coach wants her pupil to be careful with an injury.. :D

Fairuza

Don't get your panties in a twist.. :lol:. There is nothing earth-shaking in a summary that a coach wants her pupil to be careful with an injury.. :D
my good sir or madam, I want proof that she did say that. Call me a sceptic - but I learnt not to believe your word.
Can I get it across any clearer than that?

Tinami Amori

my good sir or madam, I want proof that she did say that. Call me a sceptic - but I learnt not to believe your word.
Can I get it across any clearer than that?
If you want to make a contra-point or have information that this Coach actually wants her Skater to perform with an injury at GPF, go right a head. I am not getting you any links.. :D

hanca

Values her privacy
If you want to make a contra-point or have information that this Coach actually wants her Skater to perform with an injury at GPF, go right a head. I am not getting you any links.. :D
No, I think what Fairuza implied is that you made it up. Sure, generally most coaches prefer their skaters to skate when they are healthy, but there have been coaches who let their skater compete injured (e.g. Tutberidze letting Pitkeev skate while injured). You didn’t make a general statement about what most coaches would do. You made a specific statement about what Tutberidze plans to do. Unless you are a mindreader, you should make it clear that it is your assumption that she plans to stop her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information