Jana Novotna, Former Wimbledon Champion has Passed Away Aged 49

• Thread starter Deleted member 40371
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 40371

Former Wimbledon champion, Jana Novotna has passed away aged 49.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...dies-aged-49-former-wimbledon-tennis-champion

Jana Novotna, the Czech tennis player who won the 1998 women’s singles at Wimbledon, has died at the age of 49.

A statement from the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) read: “After a long battle with cancer, Jana died peacefully, surrounded by her family in her native Czech Republic, aged 49.”

She will be deeply be missed, she will be remembered for famously crying on the shoulder of Duchess of Kent after losing the final to Steffi Graf in 1993.

Lorac

So very sad. I will never forget her sobbing on the Duchess of Kent's shoulder when she lost that 1993 Wimbledon final to Steffi Graf after being 4-1 up in the final set. And then in 1998 finally winning it after a 2nd defeat in 1997. Cancer doesn't care who you are - it is an insidious disease that hopefully we can one day eradicate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/42049507

RIP Jana- you will be missed :(

Vagabond

She will also be remembered for winning Wimbledon at the age of 29 -- comparatively old for a first-time winner -- and for her serve-and-volley style, which was becoming increasingly rare over the course of her career.

:respec:

elka_sk8

:( I was so sad to hear of Jana’s passing. She was my fav player during the 90s and it was so wonderful to see her finally win Wimbledon. May she rest in Peace.

liv

I was very shocked to hear of Jana's passing. Those Wimbledon moments will always be remembered by tennis fans. Such a brilliant grass court player, thwarted time and time again, yet finally getting the trophy she most coveted. Just far too young to go...

butyrskafanatic

Banned Member
The thing I am finding fascinating is hearing how many of her friends from the tennis world have come out in the coming weeks and said they did not even know she was sick. She truly was a private person, and a very classy one. A really great player too, 1 singles slam was really an understatement of her incredible talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information