US TV Coverage 2017-2018

Sylvia

TBD
@momnatur, check out my Orser sighting update in GSD (thanks for your Twitter source info): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/brian-orsers-condition.102142/#post-5175819

Skate Canada highlights recap show is starting on my NBC now with Ashley's FS.

ETA:
Ladies' FS shown (6): Wagner, Chen, Hicks, Sotskova, Osmond, Pogorilaya
Men's FS shown (1): Uno
Brief clips of Duhamel/Radford and Virtue/Moir.

NBCSN's 1.5 hour SCI late night broadcast last Sunday also showed Samarin, Chan and Brown in the extra 30 mins.

Cup of China recap is next.

Last edited:

love skating

Clueless American
Olympic Channel just goes to prove you need figure skaters covering figure skating, people who know about basketball covering basketball, people who know a thing or two about motorcross covering motorcross.

Even if someone handed that dude the wrong card or looked at the wrong line anyone who knows at least SOME thing about figure skating would know that that weren't Yu & Zhang when The World Champions were skating.

Pet peeve of mine.

Agreed, however earlier during the ladies event Tracy Wilson confused Ziquan Zhao with Xiangning Li so they all need to be a bit better prepared no matter their background!

Sylvia

TBD
NBC's Cup of China broadcast leads off with Ladies FS -- 5 shown: Mihara, Zagitova, Higuchi [Tuktamysheva & Honda chacked], Daleman & Radionova.

While Radionova was skating, Weir called the ladies' comp. at Russian Nationals a "mini-Hunger Games." :D

ETA: Ashley Wagner's Bridgestone tire commercial ends with her saying "The last rotation is always the hardest." ;)

ETA #2 - Men shown (5): Zhou, Aaron, Fernandez, Jin, Kolyada.

Last edited:

missing

Well-Known To Whom She Wonders
Is there a way of watching the Tara/Johnny recap online after the show is aired?

firstflight

Olympic Channel just goes to prove you need figure skaters covering figure skating, people who know about basketball covering basketball, people who know a thing or two about motorcross covering motorcross.

Even if someone handed that dude the wrong card or looked at the wrong line anyone who knows at least SOME thing about figure skating would know that that weren't Yu & Zhang when The World Champions were skating.

Pet peeve of mine.

He seemed mortified immediately after Tracy delicately corrected him— he was silent for the rest of the performance. But, yeah, they both aren’t great exemplars of breaking the “all Asians look alike” trope.

He also has this weird obsession/fixation with how long each pair or ice dance team has been together. Maybe that’s how he feels he can contribute with questions about the teaming aspect?

Sylvia

TBD
NBC's press release for NHK Trophy coverage: http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...ups-2017-grand-prix-japan-coverage-this-week/
Andrea Joyce calls the NBC show and men’s and ladies’ free skates on Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA, alongside 1998 Olympic gold medalist Tara Lipinski and three-time U.S. champion Johnny Weir. Steve Schlanger calls the remainder of the action on Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA, alongside 2011 U.S. champion Ryan Bradley. Schlanger will be joined by 2014 Olympic ice dance champion Charlie White for the ice dance competitions.
Remaining schedule (Eastern time):

Fri., Nov. 10 11 p.m.(late start?)-12:00 midnight ISU Grand Prix Japan – Short Dance (LIVE) Olympic Channel
Sat., Nov. 11 12:30-2:00 a.m. ISU Grand Prix Japan – Pairs’ Free Skate (LIVE) Olympic Channel
Sat., Nov. 11 3:00-5:00 a.m. ISU Grand Prix Japan – Ladies’ Free Skate (LIVE) Olympic Channel
Sat., Nov. 11 5:30-7:30 a.m. ISU Grand Prix Japan – Men’s Free Skate (LIVE) Olympic Channel
Sat., Nov. 11 1:30-3:00 p.m. ISU Grand Prix Japan NBC
Sat., Nov. 11 9:30-11:00 p.m. ISU Grand Prix Japan – Free Dance (LIVE) Olympic Channel

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Sat., Nov. 11 1:30-3:00 p.m. ISU Grand Prix Japan NBC
Andrea Joyce, Tara Lipinski & Johnny Weir called the ladies' and men's free skates live on the Olympic Channel earlier today... I assume their commentary will be re-used for NBC's taped broadcast coming up in 15 mins. (Eastern time).

ETA:

Of course NBC showed Hanyu's painful-looking 4Lz practice fall at the beginning of their broadcast.

Ladies FS is first - Alena is being shown. :)

Looks like they are showing the top 6 free skates: Leonova, Nagasu, Miyahara, Medvedeva, Tsurskaya & Kostner.

ETA #2 - NBC is showing the following men's free skates: Rippon, Voronov, Bychenkov & Brown.

Last edited:

Justathoughtabl

Not sure where to put this, but the Tara and Johnny podcast won the Cynopsis (that's not a typo) Media Award for best podcast. Apparently they were up against the NY Times (!).
If you haven't listened (and you like them), it's a lot of fun. They don't talk a lot about skating, but they chat about what they've been up to and sometimes take calls from listeners who have funny stories to tell.

Sylvia

TBD
Not sure where to put this
Here ya go :): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...yle-podcast-for-nbc.98987/page-2#post-5185252

France coverage: http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...2017-grand-prix-france-coverage-this-weekend/
Andrea Joyce calls the NBCSN show, alongside 1998 Olympic gold medalist Tara Lipinski and three-time U.S. champion Johnny Weir. Steve Schlanger calls all of the action on Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA, alongside 1988 Olympic bronze medalist Tracy Wilson. Schlanger will be joined by 2014 Olympic ice dance champion Charlie White for the ice dance competitions.
Following is the schedule for NBC Sports Group’s Grand Prix France coverage:

Date Time (ET) Event New
Fri., Nov. 17 9 a.m. ISU Grand Prix France – Ladies’ Short (LIVE) Olympic Channel
Fri., Nov. 17 11 a.m. ISU Grand Prix France – Short Dance (LIVE) Olympic Channel
Fri., Nov. 17 12:30 p.m. ISU Grand Prix France – Pairs’ Short (LIVE) Olympic Channel
Fri., Nov. 17 2 p.m. ISU Grand Prix France – Men’s Short (LIVE) Olympic Channel
Sat., Nov. 18 7:30 a.m. ISU Grand Prix France – Ladies’ Free (LIVE) Olympic Channel
Sat., Nov. 18 9:30 a.m. ISU Grand Prix France – Free Dance (LIVE) Olympic Channel
Sat., Nov. 18 1 p.m. ISU Grand Prix France – Pairs’ Free (LIVE) Olympic Channel
Sat., Nov. 18 3 p.m. ISU Grand Prix France – Men’s Free (LIVE) Olympic Channel

Sun., Nov. 19 10:30 p.m. ISU Grand Prix France (recap) NBCSN

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Those wanting to see Polina will need use a steam or IN. The Olympic Channel schedule chacks Edmunds, Schott and Meite.

CANCEL THAT... the original schedule had them starting on the half hour. They're going at 9, so we should get everyone.

Sylvia

TBD
@Justathoughtabl (or anyone else who watched tonight's recap), can you tell me how many skaters were shown on NBCSN? Was Papadakis/Cizeron's FD shown in its entirety?

Barbara Manatee

NBCSN showed:

LPs of Mihara, Zagitova, Tursynbaeva, Sotskova, and Osmond
FD of Papadakis/Cizeron (yes, the whole thing)
LP of Tarasova/Morosov (about 15 seconds worth)
SP of Fernandez, LP of Aaron, Ge, Fernandez, and Uno

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks, @Barbara Manatee!

TV coverage of Bridgestone Skate America will be live on 3 channels (all times Eastern):

Friday, Nov. 24
Pairs Short
6 - 7:30 p.m.
Olympic Channel (Live)

Friday, Nov. 24
Men's Short
8 - 9:30 p.m.
Olympic Channel (Live)

Saturday, Nov. 25
Pairs Free
2 - 3:30 p.m.
Olympic Channel (Live)

Saturday, Nov. 25
Men's Free
4 - 6 p.m.
NBC (Live)

Saturday, Nov. 25
Short Dance
7:30 - 9 p.m.
Olympic Channel (Live)

Saturday, Nov. 25
Ladies Short
9 - 11 p.m.
NBCSN (Live)

Sunday, Nov. 26
Free Dance
2 - 3:30 p.m.
Olympic Channel (Live)

Sunday, Nov. 26
Ladies Free
4 - 6 p.m.
NBC (Live)

Jun Y

I find it ridiculous that NBC broadcast is showing the men's and ladies' free skates but not ice dancing, which has the only current World medalists and the best hope for US Oly medals. Really, really stupid.

(I have nothing whatsoever against Nathan and wish him the best in his career, but I find all the hype within and outside of US figure skating a bit nauseating.)

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
^^^^

True.

But... Olympic Channel shows everything! No fluff either. Just all performances. Olympic Channel comes with my cable package. If you are able to get it it is SO worth it!!! :)

As far as Nathan goes... mens is my least favorite discipline of all 4. BUT Nathan's SP is LIKE MY FAVORITE program of the entire season across all disciplines. That SP is just amazing.... music and all!!!!

Aceon6

But... Olympic Channel shows everything! No fluff either. Just all performances. Olympic Channel comes with my cable package. If you are able to get it it is SO worth it!!! :)
Unfortunately, from US Nationals on, OChannel is getting whatever NBC/NBCSN doesn't want. I was trying to put a calendar together similar to Heather's, but including other events. From what's posted, there will be lots of chacking going on.

If you want EVERYTHING you'll need all three NBC properties plus IN for replays or go the YouTube route and hope that the video quality is as good as it has been for the GP. Personally, I'm more excited to watch Russian Nationals and Euros, so I'm setting up VPN so I'm ready for whatever stream is best.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Unfortunately, from US Nationals on, OChannel is getting whatever NBC/NBCSN doesn't want. I was trying to put a calendar together similar to Heather's, but including other events. From what's posted, there will be lots of chacking going on.

If you want EVERYTHING you'll need all three NBC properties plus IN for replays or go the YouTube route and hope that the video quality is as good as it has been for the GP. Personally, I'm more excited to watch Russian Nationals and Euros, so I'm setting up VPN so I'm ready for whatever stream is best.

No.... Olympic Channel shows 8 competitions... 4 SPs, and 4 LPs.

NBC (with Johnny and Tara) repeats some of them with their own commentary.

For all 6 GP events The Olympic Channel showed all SPs and all LPs. I still have all of them on myDVR.

Aceon6

Sorry to be that person, but NBC/OChan did chack people at SkAm. The free started with Lenova. Again, I'm not counting on the NBC owned properties, including OChan, to show everyone unless there's an American skating first.

chattila

O-Channel is taking its sweet time re-airing Skate America. My local Comcast listings show that repeats begin tomorrow (Wednesday night) with Men and Pairs. Ladies finals will air late Thursday night on O Channel. Grateful for this, as we were driving back home on Sunday afternoon after Thanksgiving, missing the NBCSN live telecast. DVRing doesn't seem to work with the skating shows. Comcast institutes some sort of lock-out that doesn't allow subscribers to copy (neither DVRing nor with old-style DVD recorder). Drat.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
DVRing doesn't seem to work with the skating shows. Comcast institutes some sort of lock-out that doesn't allow subscribers to copy (neither DVRing nor with old-style DVD recorder). Drat.

This sounds odd. I haven't come across any cable companies that block the ability to DVR certain programs. If you subscribe to the channel, usually 100% of the programming is available to record.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
This sounds odd. I haven't come across any cable companies that block the ability to DVR certain programs. If you subscribe to the channel, usually 100% of the programming is available to record.

Same thing happens to me with the figure skating & gymnastics shows on Comcast in Northern Virginia... any of the NBC family of stations. However, I can DVR practically anything else, such as the Today Show, normal evening tv shows, etc. It’s a block mandated by the ISU, I was told.

TanithandBenFan

Same thing happens to me with the figure skating & gymnastics shows on Comcast in Northern Virginia... any of the NBC family of stations. However, I can DVR practically anything else, such as the Today Show, normal evening tv shows, etc. It’s a block mandated by the ISU, I was told.

Gymnastics aren't ISU events, though, so that doesn't add up. I think they owe you a better explanation. This is very bizarre.

Debbie S

I have Comcast and IIRC, during the Sochi Olys, I couldn't DVR anything on NBCSN but I could DVR NBC. Luckily, thanks to a blizzard, scheduled days off, and the weekend, I was home for both segments of men and dance, the disciplines I cared the most about, so I could watch the whole event live. And I watched the other disciplines (live) at work on the NBC website, with the sound turned down. :shuffle:

I was able to DVR NBCSN's Nats broadcasts last year and Worlds the year before, though, so the block must just be for the Olys - an IOC rule for live broadcasts?

I do know that Comcast doesn't allow DVR'ing of shows that are available OnDemand. I had that happen with The Good Wife once.

Last edited:

chattila

Gymnastics aren't ISU events, though, so that doesn't add up. I think they owe you a better explanation. This is very bizarre.

I don't know about Frau's experience but my local Comcast-Xfinity affiliate explained that the gymnastics and synchro swimming events (which I wanted to record) could not be DVR'ed/DVD-recorded because of a block imposed by the IOC, not the individual sports federations. I couldn't even DVR the opening ceremonies of the Rio games.

TanithandBenFan

I wonder why the IOC doesn't block other cable companies' customers. I've been able to record every event with Cox. It's weird because Comcast owns NBC, which you think would make that cable provider the most immune from any IOC restrictions.

love skating

Clueless American
Wow, that's terrible. I mean it's hard to only be able to watch live! I can DVR anything to my DISH DVR... but if I try to make a dvd recording from my DVR to my dvd recorder, it won't allow it cause the channels put "flags" on the shows so they can't be recorded. I used to be able to dvd record the standard def versions of the channels without the "flags" blocking my recording but lately it seems all channels are "flagged". With broadcasters blocking youtube and all these restrictions from TV, it's making it harder and harder to rewatch skating!!

Aceon6

Agree with @TanithandBenFan that there's no reason you can't record UNLESS you are using your own DVR and have not registered its MAC address to your account OR you have been convicted of piracy. In 2016, I recorded almost half as the sports that I liked were on at the same time. @chattila I'd call Comcast again, ask for tier two technical support and find out what's going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information