The Mao cheer thread #3 - "For the love of skating"

cohkaix

She always looks so spectacular in kimono. What is nigiri? it is like milk or cheese?

Woop! Sorry I mixed things up: it should be 'onigiri' not nigiri (as in nigiri sushi). Onigiri is the rice ball that is made from white rice formed into triangular shapes and often wrapped in seaweed.

gotoschool

Thanks to cohkaix posted information about Mao being in a sleep panel discussion. Here are some comments that Mao made at the discussion. The translation is alright but not great.

The article states:

Professor Shigeharu Nishino, author of 'Stanford type best sleep' author, who now exceeds 300,000 copies Mr. Nishino, Mr. Asada, and Mr. Asada served as a CM character. A panel discussion was held by Mr. Takaoka Honsyu, president and president of Air Weeve.

One comment I found humorous in the article was that it said Mr. Sekiguchi said that it was too exciting to see Mrs. Asada and could not sleep the day before.

http://blogos.com/article/254609/

On the tendency of sleeping

Asada: I always kept sleeping for 8 hours. I have work and photography, and sometimes go home late, but I am trying to sleep for 6 to 8 hours. It is 8 hours that is right for me. I can sleep a lot of tense days. Is it because you are tired out that much?

Nishino: To use the brain means that the desire for sleep increases. Now, Mr. Asada may not need sleeping time because he is no longer using the body, but that is not the case. If there is a tension, there is no point in desiring to have much sleep.

- I am devised to sleep well

Asada: I try to finish dinner 3 hours before sleeping in order to keep my body. About the sleeping debt, I did not understand originally. I knew "sleep deprivation". Mr. Nishino said that there is something that "sleeping is not obtained even if not noticed", but I never can not sleep. Are you there? I get up at 7 o'clock on a holiday. You do not have to wake the alarm.

Nishino: Regular including weekends. From the point of view of sleep debt there is no debt.

Asada: Well then, I mean that I am not. It was good! Especially when I was a player I moved the body all day, so I took a 30 minute nap in addition to 8 hours of sleep. By doing this, the start of the morning is refreshing and will do my best! As I got into the morning feeling, I think that sleep is important as well. Even though a lot of fever comes out, there are images that will cure if you sleep a lot.

- On the Vancouver Olympics, about what you would like to do after talking about practicing from 2 o'clock in the morning and drinking less alcohol at local time.

Asada: It's a Honolulu marathon challenge. I first liked to run. I wanted to run, I thought that I wanted a new challenge, so I will do so because I got a story this time. I thought that it would be nice if I could finish the first at first, but since I am still an athlete, I think that if I can score a goal within 4 and a half hours.

Takaoka:I am 4 hours and 39 minutes for Honolulu Marathon. In order to reach the goal in 4 and a half hours, I have to plan to run in 4 hours and 20 minutes. Anyway the last slope is tight. A slope of 5 km or more. I think that I will lose 10 minutes because that is too tight.

- How do you fall asleep?

Asada: "What do we have to do tomorrow?" "There is something I can not sleep when thinking" What is doing? "When I think that" I wonder what I was doing today "I sleep unintentionally. There is little to wake up in the middle of the night. It is hot and cold, I can wake up, but I still sleep well.

- About the hotel stayed the day before the event

Asada: I stayed at the star Noya, but at the front I heard "Air way, do you have one?" After that, I went for a meal, but prepared for the meantime Is not it?

Takaoka: What? Mao-chan, in fact, Mr. Hoshi no one has delivery experience ... .... It was amazing if Mao asked and went to buy afterwards!

- About panel discussion.

Asada: Through this panel discussion, I realized that sleep is very important. This is not good, not bad, I would like to find a sleep that suits me. I want to take a good sleep and motivate tomorrow a whole day. And this is the first time for a panel discussion. I also did narration before, but I thought that it is easier to slide, but I'd like to do various things from now on.

After that, Mr. Asada said that even for individual coverage. Even now I hear that practicing skating continues everyday.

"I want to think forward positively because it is a matter of feeling because it is a matter of preparing to fail in advance, I would like to challenge even difficult things from now.Well, I think that I can do it, I believe in myself I want to try not only skating but also various things. "

Last edited:

gotoschool

Great article about Mao with a translation that isn't good. I did my best to make this comprehensible by editing some places or making comments to give my best guess on the meaning. The great news is Mao's positive attitude towards skating more has been renewed when she thought she might quit after The Ice 2017!!!

Asada Mao "I want to convey my gratitude thoughtfully from now on"
2017/10/25 6:30

https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO22558410S7A021C1000000/

Translation from October 25th article

Translation of interview with Mao.
START

You were concentrating on the ice show 'THE ICE' through August, but what have you been doing since then?

■ Thank you for your skating repayment to everyone

"I went to a cooking class away from skating and learned English conversation.When I had time to look at various things and think about it, what I wanted to do from around the time my birthday (September 25) approached was I hope to continue giving back to everyone through skating in the future. "

"Looking at my performance until now," Thank you for having courage, power and impression.
"Until now I saw my own performance, I received a lot of words" Thank you for taking courage, power and impression. "I think that I was able to do my best as a result of such support, and thanks for that." I thought The Ice 2017 would be the last. In the end, I got time to think and now I think differently."

Interviewer- May I expect an opportunity for fans to watch your performances from 2018?

Mao "Yes, I'm happy if I can show my gratitude by performing even more as I move on."

Mao: First of all, I will run the Honolulu marathon in December.

Mao: "There is a dream of" I want to become like this, but there was a marathon as one of the processes. Two times a week, I run about 10 kilometers for a coach. I run a half marathon twice by race (Not sure what this means). I felt relaxed when I ran 10 kilometers and I was worried because my knee was bad. But since I was taught how to run, I was feeling tired in my body and legs so I felt confident at once. "

My Comment: I am not sure of the meaning of the next paragraph, but I will take a guess that may be wrong. I am guessing Mao skates every week day in Nagoya because I think she lives there and Tokyo is like almost 200 miles away. The sentence is also in the present tense. and the reference to skating in the morning in Tokyo is in the future so it must be her plan for the pre marathon preparation to skate in Tokyo in the morning because Mao then mentions bringing her skating shoes to Honolulu a few days before the race in the next sentence. The good news is that Mao sounds really excited about skating like she wants to make it a part of her daily life for a long time. She isn't leaving her skating shoes at home anymore.

Mao: "Skating is practicing everyday on weekdays. I will skate in the morning in Tokyo. I will take skate shoes a few days before the race to Honolulu, so I will bring skate shoes. Of course the ratio of time devoted to skating is completely different. I think that you can watch and experience different things and add it to the sensitivity and expressions of skating. "

Mao: "Besides the marathon, there are plans to give skating performances. I think that this will be a challenge, too"

Interviewer: --You appear busy, don't you. How do you sleep?

Mao: "It's more irregular than the active era, but there are holidays. When I retired, I always thought" What to do in the future tomorrow is what I will do. "While I was sleeping for at least 8 hours in the active era, since I do not move my body now, I think that even six hours may be good because I can sleep anywhere. I can sleep for half an hour in the car, but it is not a familiar task, so in a different place ( The feeling and the body are stretched. It's fresh. I started to stay out a little bit late at night, but just before taking pictures I try to get my face ready, so I try to go to bed as soon as possible. "

Interviewer - There is the Pyeongchang Olympics on February 18. Do you watch figure skating?

Mao: "If it is on TV, I will watch it." It is fresh that I do it like this. "Wow, I am doing it in this way." Since the men's competition schedule is often ahead of the current era, "(Takahashi) 大 (輔) Because my chan took medals, girls will continue, "I often saw it with such feelings, but now it's completely different."

My comment: The last part is hard for me to understand. I think Mao is talking only about Masako Uno but the pronouns kept coming up I in translation. Sumo is then mentioned and I am not sure who this is or if it is Uno.

Interviewer: Would you care to talk about last year's world championship silver medalist, Shoma Uno (Toyota Motor Corporation)?

Mao: "I feel like his mother because I have known him since he first started skating in the rink. First of all he, will be the All-Japan Championship (at the preliminary round) then the Olympics. (I am guessing this is Mao's wish for Uno).

"Shoma (not sure) also had a skating-centered life from a young age, so I invited by saying " Skating is fun ", so I thought what would happen he could not go to the top, but as one of the top Japanese people I am happy because he is doing his best, so I am happy that boys are also able to keep up with the boys as their level rises. I think that I want the challenge also to challenge because I also challenged myself.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

I dont recognize the names Sumo or Masako (I wonder what they refer to) but Mao’s motherly feelings toward Shoma Uno were shared by @rosewood in this fan thread or an earlier one. She’s known and encouraged him since he was a small child. Everything she says at the end makes sense if you assume she is talking about him.

Thanks for this translation. It’s such good news that she wants to skate again!

Last edited:

chapis

I dont recognize the names Sumo or Matsuko (I wonder what they refer to) but Mao’s motherly feelings toward Shoma Uno were shared by @rosewood in this fan thread or an earlier one. She’s known and encouraged him since he was a small child. Everything she says at the end makes sense if you assume she is talking about him.

Thanks for this translation. It’s such good news that she wants to skate again!

I was like, ¨who are they :confused:? I truly have lost the track in men¨ :rofl:, but probably you are right and it is about Shoma .

Last edited:

gotoschool

I went ahead and changed the name to Shoma. It seems obvious to me now like chapis and spunsilver said. There were so many other linguistic conundrums to baffle over in the garbled google translation that I let this one go.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

I went ahead and changed the name to Shoma. It seems obvious to me now like chapis and spunsilver said. There were so many other linguistic conundrums to baffle over in the garbled google translation that I let this one go.
I like a confident editor! :rofl: You remind me of Humpty Dumpty in Through the Looking Glass:
“When I use a word it means exactly what I want it to mean, neither more nor less.”

cohkaix

Asada Mao "I want to convey my gratitude thoughtfully from now on"
2017/10/25 6:30

https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO22558410S7A021C1000000/

Translation from October 25th article

Thanks to the translation by gotoschool. Just a couple of places for clarification, and I'll add more on the part about Shoma:

• About practicing for running: the practices include running 10K twice a week, with coaches; and there will be further arrangement to run half-marathon twice, before the tournament.
  • About practicing skating: I still practicing skating daily. When in Tokyo (NB: Mao is often in Tokyo for various activities and events) I skate in the early morning. When I'll leave for Honolulu, the schedule will be to arrive a couple of days before the tournament. So I plan to take skate shoes with me to practice there.
  • About Pyeongchang: the last sentence - 'I think I will be in Japan during the Pyeongchang Oly. I think I will probably be practicing.'
  • Finally, Mao's words about Shoma: 'I've known Shoma ever since he came to visit the ice rink (at Osu) for the first time and he had learnt to have fun with skating. So I feel like his mother! And (we all know) to advance to Olympics, he has to pass Japan National first. Shoma also started skating very early on and has taken skating as the centre of his life. And that was initiated by me saying to him: 'Skating is fun!'. Sometimes I couldn't help but wonder what would have happened to Shoma, if he hadn't become one of the top skaters? But now I admire Shoma's efforts devoting to hard working and training to be one of the leading skaters, esp. when the levels of men's skating have been changing fast. Shoma has proved to be strong and reliable. I myself have experienced this phase of constant challenging, so I hope Shoma will keep on challenging himself in skating!

Last edited:

gotoschool

Mao revealed today in this article that her favorite costume was the pink version of the Masquerade Waltz costume during the Vancouver Olympic season. She says she switched to match the Canadian speciality cranberry color though she seemed to regret it a bit because she said the other one was so cute. I also think the pink version is one of the most beautiful of Mao's costumes.

She also revealed that the SP "Sheherazade" of the 2011-12 season was a wonderful costume but it was hard to jump.
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20171029-00000076-dal-spo

Here is a beautiful photos of Mao as Skate America 2013

http://pds.exblog.jp/pds/1/201312/28/79/f0039379_102542.jpg

And a great photo from The Ice 2014: http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2017/04/12/jpeg/20170412s00079000001000p_view.jpg

Last edited:

Miki89

I really miss Mao. Jackie Wong from Rockerskating was so right when he said her legacy will grow with time because we will miss her presence on the ice. I haven't really been following skating this season but at least to me, there hasn't been anyone that captured my attention quite like Mao. She has so many special qualities that are just not seen in skating anymore imo. It also frustrates/upsets me quite a bit when I remember how greatly underscored she was during her career. Besides the epic Sochi LP, she also skated a long program with two 3/3s and a 3A at the 2007 GPF which was grossly underscored. After a decade, I have yet to see a program that technically ambitious by a female skater.

However, despite being misleadingly labeled as an athlete more than an artist by her critics, she truly possessed an artistic approach to competitive skating. If Mao had more of an athletic approach, she would've designed more COP-friendly programs and practiced different combos that might have been easier to get ratified. Yet, she was adamant about skating and competing in her own way, even when it was costly for her in terms of scores and placements. For a time, I was honestly puzzled by her approach and wondered why she was so stubborn about keeping certain elements/layouts when it was clear it wasn't working well. I gradually came to the realization that it was because she was a true artist. And as with all true artists, we can't really comprehend their ways of thinking or mindsets, yet are awed when they manage to achieve the seemingly impossible, as when I witnessed Mao's Sochi freeskate.

I asked a few more questions about the retirement thread after you posted on the board business thread. Seems it was the time for the Mao's retirement thread to be moved to Archives. But, @Prancer kindly moved it back to GSD for a while. :) So you (or anyone else who wants to re-read the retirement thread) need to hurry to read the thread or get any info on it before the thread will be moved back to Archives.

Rosewood, I just realized that I never posted a thank you to you for helping bring the retirement thread back to GSD. Thanks so much! :)

chapis

I really miss Mao. Jackie Wong from Rockerskating was so right when he said her legacy will grow with time because we will miss her presence on the ice. I haven't really been following skating this season but at least to me, there hasn't been anyone that captured my attention quite like Mao. She has so many special qualities that are just not seen in skating anymore imo. It also frustrates/upsets me quite a bit when I remember how greatly underscored she was during her career. Besides the epic Sochi LP, she also skated a long program with two 3/3s and a 3A at the 2007 GPF which was grossly underscored. After a decade, I have yet to see a program that technically ambitious by a female skater.

I recommend you do not come back to figure skating fandom, the scoring is garbage as usual. Unfortunately I still can not get out from here because I love the Shibs. Too bad I am never the fan of the ¨chosen skaters¨ :(. But yes, despite the adversities that Mao faced, she managed to transcend and to touch the hearts of people with her skating. She was always so true to herself throughout her career and I think she managed to show that figure skating goes way beyond a corrupt scoring system. And you do not try to find another skater like her, because that will never happen, she's unique.

gotoschool

Here are the couple of photos of Mao in an elegant black dress at her latest Arsoa PR event with whom she will sign a sponsorship in Tokyon on November 8.

At the event Mao said that she wanted to jump the triple axel after she saw Midori do it and that she hopes more girls are inspired to do the jump and she thinks the day of 4 revolutions will come for girls.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20171108-00000060-dal-spo

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20171108-00000106-spnannex-spo.view-000

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20171108-00000060-dal-spo.view-000

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20171108-00000048-dal-spo.view-000

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2017/11/08/gazo/20171108s00079000122000p.html

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20171108-00000069-jij-ent.view-000

On November 7th, Mao and Mai were on a TV series called PON! and said that they had bumped into each other coincidentally, once when Mai walked in and saw Mao shopping for clothes and once when Mai saw Mao eating shaved ice cream alone at the counter.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20171107-00047037-nksports-ent

Last edited:

gotoschool

Here is a video of Mao looking lovely in an elegant black dress with wonderful close ups in her CM for Arsoa which was held today November 8 :

According to the caption below the video Mao has been using Arsoa face soap for 11 years and when asked what else she had been using for many years she said she continued to use tights for 3 to 4 years even with holes in them. This shows her frugality according to the comment below the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eLWWrS2--I

Last edited:

chapis

Here is a video of Mao in an elegant black dress with wonderful close ups in her CM for Arsoa which was held today November 8 :

According to the caption below the video Mao has been using Arsoa face soap for 11 years and when asked what else she had been using for many years she said she continued to use tights for 3 to 4 years even with holes in them. This shows her frugality according to the comment below the video.

wow, she looks great!!, I love the dress.

kittyjake5

Here is a video of Mao looking lovely in an elegant black dress with wonderful close ups in her CM for Arsoa which was held today November 8 :

Thank you! Mao looks fabulous in that gorgeous black dress!

Also I wanted you to know that I appreciate you keeping this thread updated.
Still missing the lovely Mao on the ice.

Last edited:

gotoschool

New photo of Mao stretching and getting ready to run at night on instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbR3XguA9m4/?taken-by=maoasada2509

Here are some beautiful high quality photos of Mao. Maybe some of them have been posted before but some haven't.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvXwVN5VMAAHjlo.jpg:large

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/sp-award-a-20170412.jpg

http://static.gofugyourself.com/uploads/2016/04/GettyImages-518793854.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8e/3a/e1/8e3ae18cd68b02e4c1b54facd506353e.jpg

http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/R...79_RTROPTP_4_FIGURESKATING-JAPAN-MAOASADA.JPG

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/sp-jack-a-20161012.jpg

http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/c92836227a7291074c0f6a706700410c.jpg

http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/R...1_RTRMADP_3_OLYMPICS-FIGURE-SKATING-ASADA.JPG

http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/e2174ed194379613540f6a706700a333.jpg

http://cfile23.uf.tistory.com/image/123F1D1A4B62140E3026EE

https://s.yimg.com/uu/api/res/1.2/h...webfeeds/3c620200321960074c0f6a70670057e6.jpg

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/p1-w1-t2-mori-b-20140222.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/26/92/74/26927499b49b1862c6ae3b7210d5145d.jpg

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/sp20130414f1b.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4c/7d/d3/4c7dd3949e0b7238656a48913fb00fea.jpg

https://usatq.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/usatsi_7756871.jpg

https://img.bleacherreport.net/cms/...crop_exact_full_image.jpeg?h=1879&q=90&w=2820

http://www.isu.org/docman-documents...-2/2014-3/03-31/10165-mao-asada481270905/file

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/df/c1/c7/dfc1c7bab37adfe8184761ed24c639f3.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ff/58/be/ff58beb5f5c34bb455b424d630122b22.jpg

http://cdn1.mmia.com/pic790/mypcera.../50/gravity/SouthEast/dx/25/dy/25/auto-orient

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5c/81/c8/5c81c8ca58bee7f71e1d851f9bfb2afc.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/00/d8/bb/00d8bba52227b3bcb5d59c4429ff1dd1.jpg

http://www.hd.club.tw/data/attachment/forum/201212/27/2041489po0ibncfo3t9n1g.jpg

Last edited:

gotoschool

Last edited:

cohkaix

Mai and Mao both posted in their social network (Mai's twitter and Mao's Instagram) about preparing for the upcoming new project :
https://twitter.com/asadamai717/status/932204219704082438 (from Mai's tweet)

Roughly: they're are starting to prepare for the new project next year. For that, they are currently recruiting ice skaters. (For further information, they've set up an account on 'Line': @skater1220)

[NB: although I use Line and have found the account for recruitment, I didn't add it as I won't be applying for that anyway. I read from twitter that they are recruiting several skaters of both females and males,and they have to be at a certain level of skating skill (seems to be L6 by the Japan fs standard). I'm definitely more interested in and curious about what kind of project they've come up with!]

chapis

Mai and Mao both posted in their social network (Mai's twitter and Mao's Instagram) about preparing for the upcoming new project :
https://twitter.com/asadamai717/status/932204219704082438 (from Mai's tweet)

Roughly: they're are starting to prepare for the new project next year. For that, they are currently recruiting ice skaters. (For further information, they've set up an account on 'Line': @skater1220)

[NB: although I use Line and have found the account for recruitment, I didn't add it as I won't be applying for that anyway. I read from twitter that they are recruiting several skaters of both females and males,and they have to be at a certain level of skating skill (seems to be L6 by the Japan fs standard). I'm definitely more interested in and curious about what kind of project they've come up with!]

Maybe an ice show like that of Averbukh? I hope!

gotoschool

The following article indicates that even in retirement Mao is still one of the most beloved athletes by children in Japan.

My favorite sports player" Survey result
Public interest foundation corporation Sasakawa Sports Foundation announced the findings on children's and youth's favorite athletes on November 21.

Mao was ranked as the second favorite athlete for children from 4 to 11 years old along with Fukuhara Ai in table tennis.

it's wonderful to know that Mao's exceptional expressive power, transcendent artistry and refined athletic elegance that challenged the most difficult elements will continue to be a big inspiration for the next generation, especially since Mao has said that one of her goals was to inspire children.

https://youtu.be/LQD0k4IgDA4?t=347 On July 4, 2013, 8 1/2 months before her incredible Sochi LP, Mao said, "My unchanging objective has been to become a skater who can give small children a dream."

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20171122-00010002-tennisnet-spo

Nishikiro Kei ranked first overall and Yuzuru Hanyu did very well among young people aged 12-21.

Last edited:

cohkaix

Mao's sister, Mai, has updated in her twitter account with a video clip:
https://twitter.com/asadamai717/status/933580425724796928

Mai says that since she's going to skate in 'Christmas on Ice' next month, she's practicing hard. And she asks Mao to choreograph a number for her (!!) This is also the first time Mao choreographs (for others). It seems the sisters are having a lot of fun. And from the video Mao's choreography looks pretty cool!

[NB: I've been keeping on wondering who will choreograph for Mao after she turns pro. But after the recent Stona CM (which she choreographed herself), I think it's also a possibility that she can self-choreograph, just like Kanako. Now it's going to be interesting to see who will be the next to invite Mao to choreograph for them.]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information