Olympic Channel Figure Skating Galore

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I don’t think this is NBC’s Olympic Channel. I don’t see NBC mentioned and it’s based out of Spain.
From the original announcement...

“Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA” is an Americanized version of the global channel the International Olympic Committee launched last year. A joint effort by the IOC, U.S. Olympic Committee and NBCUniversal, it will focus more closely on U.S. athletes and events.

mollymgr

Info about OLYC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Channel
At an industry forum in March 2017, NBC Olympics president Gary Zenkel stated that NBCUniversal would launch a localized version of Olympic Channel in the United States as a linear television channel later in the year.[4] The U.S. version of Olympic Channel launched July 15, 2017, replacing Universal HD—which itself had picked up overflow Olympic sport content following the discontinuation of Universal Sports in 2015

mposl

I can't say enough good things about Ben Agosto's commentary. I learn so much about the intricacies of ice dance from him. I appreciate how he does all his teaching during the lower ranked teams and generally doesn't speak at all during the top teams, letting us savor the special moments they're creating.

The guy who did Andrea's job this week is terrible, though. He asks the same questions in each discipline and sometimes doesn't give correct information (including misidentifying skaters). I prefer Andrea any day.

I totally 100% agree with all of the above!

DreamSkates

I doubt they'll stream everything. As an NBC property, they'll reserve the best content for broadcast. You might be able to see the early rounds of curling there, hockey that doesn't involve the US, Canada, Russia or other countries with NHL stars, as well as biathelon/cross country. Basically, if the sport is popular or if the US has a medal chance, it'll be on NBC, NBC Sports or the Olympic Channel before it shows up online.
:wall::wall::wall:

Sylvia

TBD

Sylvia

TBD
Relevant excerpt from NBC's 11/28/17 press release:

OLYMPIC CHANNEL: HOME OF TEAM USA TO PRESENT 24/7 NEWS COVERAGE DURING PYEONGCHANG OLYMPICS

Olympic Channel: Home of Team USA – a partnership between the International Olympic Committee, the United States Olympic Committee, and NBCUniversal – will complement NBCUniversal’s extensive coverage of the PyeongChang Olympics this February, with wall-to-wall programming featuring 20 hours of news and highlights provided daily by Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS); live Olympic medal ceremony coverage from the PyeongChang Medal Plaza; and a daily studio show featuring 13-time Emmy Award winner Jimmy Roberts. Coverage begins Saturday, Feb. 10, and concludes Saturday, Feb. 24. Click here for more info.

Last edited:

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
According to my TV's guide, the Olympic Channel is going to re-broadcast all the free skates from Salt Lake City, Torino, and Vancouver starting on 12/26. I'm assuming Sochi will be shown as well (they've been on there before).

All the free skates that NBC showed or ALL THE FREE SKATES of all the skaters that competed?

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
All the free skates that NBC showed or ALL THE FREE SKATES of all the skaters that competed?
My guess is that it will be the US-centric broadcast. I plan to DVR so I can fast forward through any drivel.

Does anyone remember which years had Mary Carillo and Tamara Moskvina doing the Ice Time segments? If those are included, I would be sooo happy.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Torino 2006 “Olympic Ice” segments, all filmed in the Palavela arena. Hilarious. A shame that the similar shows in 2010-Vancouver were filmed in a studio, not coming close to duplicating the magic of 2006...except for the day when Moskvina hopped on the desk to demonstrate push ups.

A.H.Black

2002 Opening Ceremonies are on Right Now. "She'll be Comin' Round the Mountain when she comes....."

I went to the dress rehearsal - never been so cold voluntarily in my life. Too bad you can't see what happened during the commercials - there was some cool stuff. There goes Marina Annasina.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Pardon my ignorance but how do I get the Olympic channel? Do I need to contact my cable provider?

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I just switched what I was watching to see what was on the Olympic Channel at the moment. They're showing the 2006 Olympics Opening Ceremony. The time slot is 7p.m - 9:30 p.m. central. So that would be 8p.m. - 10:30 p.m. eastern. :)

@Vash01, you could try going to the Olympic Channel online. You'll see a video player, and in the bottom right says "Find Out More". After you've clicked on that, you'll see a list of the cable and Satellite providers that are available. If your cable provider is listed, click on it and sign in with your cable account and password. If this works and you can watch the video player, then you have the channel on TV also.

Olympic Channel

Last edited:

shuilee

Hao Zhang competed at 2002 Olympics in SLC?! :eek: Watching Zhangs 2002 LP right now on Olympic Channel. They were practicing quad twists?! OMG. Can't believe he's around in 2018 and will likely continue to 2022!!

BaileyCatts

OMG .....was anyone else watching that as if you were watching it Live and yelling and screaming at the TV and clenching your fists and cheering like you do while watching a Live event, even though its from 15 years ago and we all know the results! :rofl: When Xue fell on that quad throw I was like "oh nnnnnooooooo"!!!!

Oh, and let's not forget the whole "they was robbed" thing. Oh yeah .... definitely....... totally ripped that placement right outta their hands ....... Ina & Zimmerman was definitely robbed of 4th. :p

2002 Men's up next!!! Let's see of my memory of Scott's horrendous call of Yagudin's LP is as bad as I remember. He totally ruined that performance for me with his inane comments. :p

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I'm watching Elvis Stojko's skate now. I'm glad you mentioned it. It's been awhile since I've seen the men's FS!

A.H.Black

:p

2002 Men's up next!!! Let's see of my memory of Scott's horrendous call of Yagudin's LP is as bad as I remember. He totally ruined that performance for me with his inane comments. :p

Promise - It was that bad. I kept thinking - "Are you watching the same performance I watched?" I was there live and there was absolutely no question who won.

Ivan Dinev in that horrific costume.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 53443

Scott Hamilton commenting is worth watching alone. The screaming when Plushenko lands his jumps :D

skatemomaz

Resist
I just watched the pairs long, and was screaming and Bezic and Hamilton to shut up just like in 2002. It almost made me appreciate Johnny and Tara.

Really enjoyed watching the young China pairs, especially knowing where they all progressed. I remember rooting for Shen and Zhao to pull off an upset in 2002.

love skating

Clueless American
Enjoyed watching - I have all this on tape somewhere but never rewatch so this is a treat. Things I had forgotten: that pairs used to have 3 jumping passes, how great Ina & Zimmerman skated!, how horrible the seating was at SLC - so high up, how close Xue Shen was to landing that quad throw.... and yes while watching I was thinking about all the past champions who are now retired, some coaching etc. and then being amazed that Zhang is still skating today and still a contender!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Question for those recording the dance/ladies today: is the Olympic Channel coming in pixelated for you? I noticed it was happening earlier in the day during speed skating, but only during certain camera angles (?!) so I thought it was something to do with the reception from that particular feed. But now I notice the same thing is happening with the skating broadcast, and all of my other stations have no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information