U.S. Ice Dance 2017/18 season news & updates

firstflight

Congratulations to Quinn & Lorraine! Second at the Warsaw Cup Challenger & a Season's Best.

They won the technical mark today in the free.
I’m so glad they basically started fresh their first senior season, putting their “off” last season out of their minds.

I will continue to cheerlead the new senior WISA teams— the rink is a 10 minute drive from my home and I just love that these four are all local kids. There was talk that they should switch to the more established coaches for the transition to seniors, but getting into the mid-90’s your first senior season is proof that the coaching team has the goods to get both teams well positioned post-Olympics.
Now Michael just has to get his twizzles under control and the Parsons will have a nice set of scores—64ish and 95ish—at Skate America.

Dobre

getting into the mid-90’s your first senior season is proof that the coaching team has the goods to get both teams well positioned post-Olympics.

Yes, I think WISA is no slouch at technique.

97.98 is an ISU personal best in the free dance for Quinn & Lorraine. Knocks off their FD score from Junior Worlds in 2016. I am the most happy to see them skate solid & bring in the senior level-three footwork sequence calls again in the FD. Building their levels and scores away from home.

Having a blast today watching all these young teams coming up: McNamara & Carpenter, Popova & Mozgov, Nazarova & Nikitin, Muller & Dieck, Loboda & Drozd, Abachkina & Thauron, Pogrebinsky & Benoit. All competed today.

Ditto on the congratulations to Madison & Evan for qualifying for the GPF.

Dobre

No videos, right?

Not yet that I know of. I couldn't find any for the short dance yesterday. Woke up early this morning to watch the stream live. It was nice and clear, but the time for the Warsaw dance event overlapped the dance for IDF so maybe none of the dance fans with video-making capability could do both.

barbarafan

Not yet that I know of. I couldn't find any for the short dance yesterday. Woke up early this morning to watch the stream live. It was nice and clear, but the time for the Warsaw dance event overlapped the dance for IDF so maybe none of the dance fans with video-making capability could do both.
All of todays is available on you tube ..one tape for the whole day and you get just move along to get the ones you want to see.

RoseRed

It'll be interesting to see the 3 US teams at the GPF. So far, the Shibs and H/D has nearly identical scores and C/B are somewhat behind (and they did not look impressed by their FD scores today).

GP Scores
  1. H/D — 189.43, 188.35
  2. S/S — 189.24
  3. C/B — 184.50, 181.85

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
It'll be interesting to see the 3 US teams at the GPF. So far, the Shibs and H/D has nearly identical scores and C/B are somewhat behind (and they did not look impressed by their FD scores today).

GP Scores
  1. H/D — 189.43, 188.35
  2. S/S — 189.24
  3. C/B — 184.50, 181.85

C/B had a mistake, so they were obviously not happy because of that.

cgirl8

It's been a while since we've talked about many of the juniors and with sectionals wrapping up this weekend here are the qualifiers to nationals.

Qualified via JGPF Berth
Christina Carreira / Anthony Ponomarenko

Eastern Sectionals
1. Caroline Green / Gordon Green - 142.69
2. Eliana Gropman / Ian Somerville - 129.20
3. Emma Gunter / Caleb Wein - 126.38
4. Allie Rose / J.T. Michel - 103.57
RESULTS

Midwestern Sectionals
1. Avonley Nguyen / Vadym Kolesnik - 134.81
2. Isabella Amoia / Luca Becker - 114.49
3. Sophia Elder / Christopher Elder - 113.81
4. Katarina DelCamp / Maxwell Gart - 101.11
RESULTS

Pacific Sectionals
1. Chloe Lewis / Logan Bye - 134.86
2. Jocelyn Haines / James Koszuta - 110.18
3. Alina Efimova / Alexander Petrov - 109.96
4. Molly Cesanek / Nikolay Usanov - 107.98
RESULTS

Dobre

It's a very balanced junior field. Some of the sectionals these teams qualified through are head-scratchers. You're wondering exactly what connection the team could possibly have to _______ region. I'm sure many teams took a strong look at where the top teams were headed & found a way to go elsewhere. But, man, the coordination required. 12 of 13 teams on this list with a real record of being competitive (by which I mean trading placements with other teams at the national level). It's more like the top coaches had a big pow wow in which they carefully divvied everyone up into the three separate regions.

Jun Y

It's a very balanced junior field. Some of the sectionals these teams qualified through are head-scratchers. You're wondering exactly what connection the team could possibly have to _______ region. I'm sure many teams took a strong look at where the top teams were headed & found a way to go elsewhere. But, man, the coordination required. 12 of 13 teams on this list with a real record of being competitive (by which I mean trading placements with other teams at the national level). It's more like the top coaches had a big pow wow in which they carefully divvied everyone up into the three separate regions.

Haha yes, I think they really discussed among themselves to coordinate who want to go where so that most can qualify for Nationals.

About 3 years ago, Gropman and Somerville failed to qualify for Nationals because of an unusually strong field in the Eastern Section, even though they were definitely better than some qualifiers in the other 2 regions. IIRC, it was because the Parsonses and M/C failed to qualify for GPF unexpectedly. Wheaton teams have totally diversified their club affiliation since then. Almost every junior team belongs to 2 different regions. Even Caroline Green is affiliated with a club different from her brother.

It's a chronic problem with US qualifying competitions that the 3 sections are not evenly distributed, unlike Canada, which has a pre-Nationals challenge event to make the qualification process more fair across regions.

Sylvia

TBD
Although USFS has yet to post the official Golden Spin entries on their Assignments page, both Hawayek/Baker and Parsons/Parsons are listed for their 2nd Challenger there (link is posted in the 2017 ISU Challenger Series thread in GSD). Competition dates are December 6-9.

Dobre

Wheeeeeee! Congratulations on two great performances for Maia & Alex at Skate America. Earned a personal best and with a tough tech panel.

And congratulations to all three top U.S. dance teams for earning their way into the Grand Prix Final during the Olympic season. Great job, guys!

Sylvia

TBD
A Day with Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue, Part 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAW8PyOCqpQ
Part 5 shows them working on their free dance and on their technical levels during their afternoon ice session. They also discuss how, with the help of U.S. Figure Skating and the U.S. Olympic Committee, they use data to train smart and stay healthy.

Part 6 (on their food intake/nutrition): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCQyckeu4dY

"Chock & Bates: Dancing On Novi Ice" (5+ minute video of them training with their coaches, uploaded on Nov. 24, 2017): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjD107U4X7I

Local article on Chock/Bates: http://www.hometownlife.com/story/s...k-and-bates-aiming-peak-right-time/887859001/

Alex Shibutani’s 5 Tips On Spending Lots Of Time With Your Sibling And Still Getting Along: https://www.teamusa.org/News/2017/D...ime-With-Your-Sibling-And-Still-Getting-Along

Good Luck to all 3 teams at the Final this week, along with Christina Carreira & Anthony Ponomarenko in the JGPF! Also to Rachel & Michael Parsons and Kaitlin Hawayek & Jean-Luc Baker at Golden Spin of Zagreb!

semogal

It was a strong weekend for US Ice Dance:
At the GPF, the Shibs nabbed the bronze medal with our teams placing 3, 4, 5 with less than a point separating them:
3. Shibs 188
4. Hubbell/Donohue 187.4
5. Chock/Bates 187.15

At the JGPF, Carreira/Ponomarenko placed 2nd with a TS of 151.76

At Golden Spin, Hawayek/Baker earned the Bronze with a TS of 163.88 & the Parsons finished 8th with a score of 152.38.

Last edited:

Dobre

All the Nationals this weekend are officially making me excited for San Jose:

The Shibutanis
Chock & Bates
Hubbell & Donohue
Hawayek & Baker
McNamara & Carpenter
The Parsons
Pogrebinsky & Benoit
Aldridge & Eaton

U.S. Senior Nationals this year could field an entire GP field before the expansion.

Can't wait to see everybody!:cheer2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information