What's Old Is New Again: New Articles Re: Figure Skating History

SkateGuard

Maximillian

RIP TA
Glad you enjoyed reading - Zbigniew's story was certainly an incredible one!, but it

The latest Skate Guard blog, The Demise Of The North American Championships, takes an in-depth look into the controversial events that led to the end of an iconic figure skating competition with an almost fifty year history:

http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2017/10/the-demise-of-north-american.html

Great piece, per usual. I had no idea what happened to the NA Champs, just remember reading about it when I was a kid in one of those Dorothy Hamil bios (or maybe it was a Peggy one). Too bad, it seems like they just sort of gave up on it as opposed to finding any real way to fix it. I'm glad that eventually the 4 Continents came around, but it was nearly thirty years without a Continental Championship on this side of the pond, which seems absurd in light of how strong the US and Canada have been in all 4 events.

SkateGuard

Great piece, per usual. I had no idea what happened to the NA Champs, just remember reading about it when I was a kid in one of those Dorothy Hamil bios (or maybe it was a Peggy one). Too bad, it seems like they just sort of gave up on it as opposed to finding any real way to fix it. I'm glad that eventually the 4 Continents came around, but it was nearly thirty years without a Continental Championship on this side of the pond, which seems absurd in light of how strong the US and Canada have been in all 4 events.

Thank you! I agree with you to an extent... but I can also see how having a seventh judge from the country hosting the Championships each year could easily tip the scales. There were proposals in the 80's at ISU Congresses to develop a 'Pacific Championship' similar to what ended up being the Four Continents as a counterpoint to the Europeans, with the idea that both events would serve as qualifying events to whittle down the entries at Worlds. It's something I'll be touching on in another blog in the future.

SkateGuard

I always loved North Americans because it gave me a chance to hear more about the skating of Toller, Tim, John Misha, and Janet!

Will be taking a look back at a couple other North American Championships in future blogs!

The latest Skate Guard blog is a reader request from @suki right here on Figure Skating Universe - it's a look at the tragic & layered story of Hana Mašková, the only Czechoslovakian woman to claim an Olympic medal in figure skating:

http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2017/10/hana-maskova-pragues-ice-queen.html

There are still three more blogs coming in October as well... a timely 'competition flashback', this month's edition of #Unearthed and an annual Hallowe'en tradition... 'Paranormal Skatetivity'.

suki

Will be taking a look back at a couple other North American Championships in future blogs!

The latest Skate Guard blog is a reader request from @suki right here on Figure Skating Universe - it's a look at the tragic & layered story of Hana Mašková, the only Czechoslovakian woman to claim an Olympic medal in figure skating:

http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2017/10/hana-maskova-pragues-ice-queen.html

N_Halifax, I feel as if I have received an early Christmas present! I knew the basic facts of Hana's life, but your story presented so many new, fascinating details. It seems she experienced more sadness than anyone should have to endure. Just an absolutely gripping read, and I am so honored you granted my wish. As with any well-written story, your article peaked my interest on another skating topic: Juata Mueller. I heard that she was sort of a Cruella de Ville of the skating world, respected but not much liked (actually, I've read that she was ruthless). Would you consider doing a profile on her in the future? I love your blog and am so grateful that you share your knowledge with us.

SkateGuard

Thanks, for attempting to bring clarity to Hana's tragedy.
She was a fine skater; and worthy competitor.

You're welcome! Although the way her life ended was absolutely sad, she certainly brought smiles to many faces in the short time she was here.

N_Halifax, I feel as if I have received an early Christmas present! I knew the basic facts of Hana's life, but your story presented so many new, fascinating details. It seems she experienced more sadness than anyone should have to endure. Just an absolutely gripping read, and I am so honored you granted my wish. As with any well-written story, your article peaked my interest on another skating topic: Juata Mueller. I heard that she was sort of a Cruella de Ville of the skating world, respected but not much liked (actually, I've read that she was ruthless). Would you consider doing a profile on her in the future? I love your blog and am so grateful that you share your knowledge with us.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed reading - I really appreciated the suggestion! I try to fit in requests as often as I can and the further I delved into Hana's story, the more fascinated I was. I'll be touching a little more on Jutta Müller in a blog that I have coming on the figure skating system in East Germany. It'll be a while before that one comes out though! :) I'll keep you posted.

suki

You're welcome! Although the way her life ended was absolutely sad, she certainly brought smiles to many faces in the short time she was here.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed reading - I really appreciated the suggestion! I try to fit in requests as often as I can and the further I delved into Hana's story, the more fascinated I was. I'll be touching a little more on Jutta Müller in a blog that I have coming on the figure skating system in East Germany. It'll be a while before that one comes out though! :) I'll keep you posted.

I can't wait to read it! In the meantime, I know you will have so many hidden treasures in store for us. You spoil us N_Halifax:)

Maximillian

RIP TA
Just in time for this weekend's Skate Canada International event, Skate Guard looks back at the only other time that Regina played host to the competition... back in 1986. Read about The 1986 Skate Canada International Competition:

http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2017/10/the-1986-skate-canada-international.html
Had no idea G and G lost here, I was a skater at this time but in the pre-internet world (and living in the U.S.) skating results were a lot harder to come by.

SkateGuard

Had no idea G and G lost here, I was a skater at this time but in the pre-internet world (and living in the U.S.) skating results were a lot harder to come by.

It's hard to believe Gordeeva and Grinkov ever lost anything. They were sublime!

This month's edition of #Unearthed is online... and it's a must read! With special thanks to Sandra Bezic & the USFSA, Skate Guard blog is taking a glimpse into The Crystal Ball to see figure skating's future from the past:

http://skateguard1.blogspot.ca/2017/10/unearthed-crystal-ball.html

SkateGuard

Great piece! I had no idea COI went back that far in time. Fascinating that a young Dorothy Hamill appeared in the NYC stop of the tour, she had to be around 12 years old at the time.

She would have been quite young, yes! She was U.S. Novice Champion that year and actually mentions both those Nationals and her performance in the tour's NYC stop in her 2007 book. :)

skatesindreams

Thank you so much, Ryan.
I've always been sorry that Ronnie Robertson didn't have even one World title to show for his great skill and contributions to the sport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information