"No one knows Mirai's mirai" Nagasu cheer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

giselle23

There are a couple of pluses from this competition. Mirai received full credit for her 3Lutz. No edge call, no UR. She also received full credit for her 3-3. Her tech score was better than Elena Radionova. In fact, the scores from 4th to 7th were pretty bunched. A few more points here and there could have changed the results significantly. That said, I again think Mirai is consistently under-scored on PCS. I think she should have averaged at least 8, giving her a 64 in the long and bumping her up to 5th (in the long). There was also a hater-judge on this panel (#9) who gave her 6's in PCS and -3 GOE on her 3A. On the latter, come on! She had great height and landed it well except for the UR, for which she was penalized on the base value. What reason would there be to give her a -3 GOE? It's like a triple penalty. After her SP disaster, she wasn't going to win a medal at this event. It's best to just take what she can from it and move on to the next.

Last edited:

Frida80

I think you're thinking of the Ice Challenge (which Mirai did in place of when she usually had her first grand prix, before she did NHK in 2015-when she had only one grand prix assignment due to not doing well the 2014-15 season). At the time, I remember thinking that doing a low key event instead of a first grand prix was a positive for Mirai-less pressure, she usually does poorly at her first grand prix of the season and then gets better. And when she won Ice Challenge, she did it with a nearly 10 points less score than what she got in Russia. I would be all for getting a new short, or turning her exhibition (or one of her past ones) into a new short , but I really think that it's more likely that they'll just re-think the elements.

We know that Mirai has it in her to at least get sp issues together enough to have a strong sp for nationals. It's the nailing LP, with the pressure of knowing that she's put herself in a good position in the short, that's the issue. Her LP here was actually one of her stronger ones in her career (sadly, lol) , but the field was stacked/content level has really gone up for everyone in the past quad. At least Mirai has experienced what a pre-olympics nationals is like twice-even though she wasn't named to the team in '14, finishing top three both times is commendable.

You’re right it was Ice Challenge. My mistake.

There are a couple of pluses from this competition. Mirai received full credit for her 3Lutz. No edge call, no UR. She also received full credit for her 3-3. Her tech score was better than Elena Radionova. In fact, the scores from 4th to 7th were pretty bunch. A few more points here and there could have changed the results significantly. That said, I again think Mirai is consistently under-scored on PCS. I think she should have averaged at least 8, giving her a 64 in the long and bumping her up to 5th (in the long). There was also a hater-judge on this panel (#9) who gave her 6's in PCS and -3 GOE on her 3A. On the later, come on! She had great height and landed it well except for the UR, for which she was penalized on the base value. What reason would there be to give her a -3 GOE? It's like a triple penalty. After her SP disaster, she wasn't going to win a medal at this event. It's best to just take what she can from it and move on to the next.

I saw a lot of positives too. last year at SC after her disasterous SP she did just as badly in her FS. It was like the fight drained out of her. This time she was determined to come back strong. She fought throughout that program. Last year she had 6 < and 1 << in her FS. This time only 3, and one was one her 3A. I was very proud of the fight that she showed.

Mirai traditionally does better at her second GP. Plus, with the extra grit she’s showing I hope that means that she will be more determined than ever to nail both these programs.

GullyGirl84

You’re right it was Ice Challenge. My mistake.

I saw a lot of positives too. last year at SC after her disasterous SP she did just as badly in her FS. It was like the fight drained out of her. This time she was determined to come back strong. She fought throughout that program. Last year she had 6 < and 1 << in her FS. This time only 3, and one was one her 3A. I was very proud of the fight that she showed.

Mirai traditionally does better at her second GP. Plus, with the extra grit she’s showing I hope that means that she will be more determined than ever to nail both these programs.

This. Plus, attempting eight triples in the free skate. I watched the NBC broadcast of Mirai's free skate, prepared for the worst, but Johnny and Tara were pretty complimentary (considering)/said it was a gutsy.

So hopefully Mirai does not let this get her down too much. Onto the next. Last year after her Skate Canada disaster, she finally landed the triple axel in practice cleanly.

Also, can we take a moment to appreciate Mirai's closing banquet Look from Russia? :40beers:
http://gallery.ru/watch?ph=PG2-hdjv8

Frida80

This. Plus, attempting eight triples in the free skate. I watched the NBC broadcast of Mirai's free skate, prepared for the worst, but Johnny and Tara were pretty complimentary (considering)/said it was a gutsy.

So hopefully Mirai does not let this get her down too much. Onto the next. Last year after her Skate Canada disaster, she finally landed the triple axel in practice cleanly.

Also, can we take a moment to appreciate Mirai's closing banquet Look from Russia? :40beers:

OMG! Hot! She looks like she came out of a magazine!

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
You have it and you’re not posting it? For shame!

ETA: sorry, saw it. She takes bandaid to the level of bondage. Whew!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

oh dear now I saw Poirier in # 19 and Bukin in #20. Can I have them massage me tonight?

Oh WOW.... Im super-loving the photo of Denis and Stephane # 27 and # 28!!! Wow... How old is Denis?

Proud that Mirai stayed vertical in free!!!

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
In the play-by-play thread I did criticize Elena Radionova's PCS. But when you compare her performance to both Mirai's and Mariah's, she is undeniably better than them at projecting her emotions to the audience and moving with conviction.

I hope that both US skaters can develop in that area.

US ladies need Miss Val!

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦

Ka-BOOM! Mirai looks like a knockout in that outfit! Model-Gorgeous! :eek:

bardtoob

I want to see Mirai enter her 3A with the blinding speed Ito and Harding used to have when entering their 3A.

Mao, Tuktamysheva, et al. never have/had enough speed. I can forgive a break in the choreography if there is blinding speed ... We forgive men when they build speed.

antmanb

I want to see Mirai enter her 3A with the blinding speed Ito and Harding used to have when entering their 3A.

Mao, Tuktamysheva, et al. never have/had enough speed. I can forgive a break in the choreography if there is blinding speed ... We forgive men when they build speed.

Do "we"? I certainly don't - Misha Ge, or Adam Rippon cross-overing for their lives in a full circle before throwing themselves into a 3A is certainly not as impressive as the spread eagles, counters, brackets and one foot sustained turns into 3A that we regularly see from the top contenders in the men. It's rare to see the men just building speed into the big elements these days as the IJS doesn't really encourage it.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I'm hopeful for an even better outing for Mirai at NHK! She can do it! l'm also hoping she has added a bit more choreo, transitions, etc. Get that PCS score up to snuff! I dearly hope too that the entrance to the 3A has been revised. It looked so much better in the summer. When she's on, Mirai can get those TES scores, but the judges have been hammering her on the PCS for ages! I think it is amazing that near her mid-20s she added on not one but TWO jumps to her arsenal, the 3S (which she did before she went to Frank I believe, but then it was taken out) but above all her 3A!! That in and of itself is much to be proud of!

Speaking of speed - that is exactly what I murmur to myself, whenever I watch Mirai approach the 3A or any of her other jumps - 'Speed Mirai..Speed...!'. I 'murmur' so my family can't hear me talking to myself. :lol:

Last edited:

bardtoob

Do "we"? I certainly don't - Misha Ge, or Adam Rippon cross-overing for their lives in a full circle before throwing themselves into a 3A is certainly not as impressive as the spread eagles, counters, brackets and one foot sustained turns into 3A that we regularly see from the top contenders in the men. It's rare to see the men just building speed into the big elements these days as the IJS doesn't really encourage it.

Well, it certainly got World bronze recent enough.

antmanb

Well, Jin Boyang is male and a skater, which makes him more similar to Misha Ge and Adam Rippon than Mirai Nagasu ... So yes, you are being the jerk.

I made a point about two skaters, and then didn't understand why you brought up Jin. No need to call me names, if you didn't have a point, then why bother replying to my post.

Maybe time to update my ignore list for the season.

bardtoob

I made a point about two skaters, and then didn't understand why you brought up Jin. No need to call me names, if you didn't have a point, then why bother replying to my post.

Maybe time to update my ignore list for the season.

Why did you quote me? Mmmm ... You are still being exactly what I said you were being ... A jerk. No apologizes from me, but being ignored by you will be it's own apology from you to me.

VGThuy

antmanb, I thought bardtoob's point was that a skater who did crossovers into and built speed into his 3A ended up winning the bronze. Maybe I misunderstood.

bardtoob

@VIETgrlTerifa I certainly never intended to talk about Misha Ge or Adam Rippon in Mirai Nagasu's cheer thread. That was the doing of somebody else.

Unfortunately, I offered courtesy by acknowledging a ridiculous reply to my post, and for that the person both insulted the subject of the thread and myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information