The Shibutanis Thread 4: Ready for Paradise

VGThuy

Maia and Alex won Rostelecom cup!!:biggrinbo:40beers:. I have not seen their performance because my stream died, I'll look for the video.

eta. FD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvgHeSlwN84

They need to work on their FD. I'm not quite feeling the pacing. However, all of the lifts are new and done very well. They are in great shape. They did what they needed to do at Rostelecom Cup. They won on GOE, which is a great sign from the judges.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I agree about the pacing. I think the slow part is too long. They need to build more. And I while I love the call-backs to Fix You and last year's FD, I think they need to be more deliberate. It almost sounds like an editing mistake right now. They have a lot of great stuff to work with though.

Mrs. P

I agree with you all about the pacing. The slow part may need to be shortened. And they need to push it more in the second half.

However, they were so smart about what they want for their skating this season. It's hard to see if you only look at the program on its face. But it is really clear to me that they really wanted to work on some key things that may not be "innovative" but help them get to the next level: They skated with far more speed, more ice coverage and the step sequences had a lot more closed holds (and they were skating closer). I think they are where they want to be.

And yeah, they survived RC and won. Moscow is now 2-1 as far as good/bad memories.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
However, they were so smart about what they want for their skating this season. It's hard to see if you only look at the program on its face. But it is really clear to me that they really wanted to work on some key things that may not be "innovative" but help them get to the next level: They skated with far more speed, more ice coverage and the step sequences had a lot more closed holds (and they were skating closer). I think they are where they want to be.

And I agree with this. As much as fans grouse, inventiveness doesn't really get you that many points in this system. It's all about levels. The Shibs are so smart in their approach. Another thought I had is that their SD is just so stellar, that it may make the FD look a little slower and less interesting just in comparison. Some music tweaks could do a lot for that though.

VGThuy

Honestly, as someone who wanted the Shibs do continue to push artistically, I'm disappointed. However, as a fan who wants to see them win and have a moment with people outside a skating message board, this is probably the perfect vehicle. How many "awful-in-October" programs have seen surprisingly win the crowd over and win things? Plus, the Olympic crowd is not the same as a figure skating event. The Shibs know who they need to appeal to. And if a program can surprise the judges and be good by February, then even better. The judges also fall for moments.

chapis

they were amazing, I mean, even without sound their skating looks so wonderful, so fluid, and with those costumes both look so beautiful and perfect. The lifts are great and again their speed is notable. I agree about the slow section being too long but after watch it several times it looks really good, but they should work about it.

Another thing is in the second part of the program, the music has not the same intensity of the original song, I am not sure if it is just the quality of sound of the arena or the video, I doubt it. When the singer is singing, the voice is heard as if it were far away, and this part https://youtu.be/uvgHeSlwN84?t=251 is my favorite in the original song, and is the climax I guess, but in their program it does not sound so intense like the original https://youtu.be/1G4isv_Fylg?t=209

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Also I noticed a lot of the moves featured Maia -- her reaching to the audience, her trying to connect with Alext, etc. Again a subtle thing that won't get you inventive points, but really is about pushing their own personal skating/potential.

MRani

I agree about the pacing too. One thing I noticed is the beginning slow part was very reminiscent of Evolution in its choreography. I’m sure that was deliberate to an extent, but the music for the first half of Evolution really worked for that choreography but it doesn’t quite translate with the same impact to the slower section of Paradise. Maybe the choreo there should be tweaked to be a bit more specific to this current dance. It’s fine to leave some of the references to Evolution in but this didn’t start feeling like a new dance to me until the first lift.

Speaking of the first lift, that was a wow moment for me. Absolutely loved the little snippet of Fix You in the music! It fit in so well. All the new lifts were beautiful and well done. I like the idea and direction of this program a lot, and once they figure out the pacing and really turn up the performance and interpretation it’s going to be amazing.

Congratulations on winning Rostelecom Shibs! They’ve got plenty of time to work out the kinks before Skate America so I’m not worried.

chapis

I think they're using a live version.

oh, I see, it could benefit of a more intense sound, like the original ¨Fix you¨ program. Last season they added more instruments to up the intensity of the last step seq last season and that worked wonderfully. Maybe they did it on purpose for add the final details later, so the program will look different and better at nationals and olympics. I can not believe how much they have improved and everything they have done and worked in the off season. I do not know how people dare to say: we have V/M and P/C and then far behind the rest of top 10 where they are all practically equal and able to win the bronze, I mean, I like G/P but put them at the same level of Shibs, come on!!

VGThuy

I agree about the pacing too. One thing I noticed is the beginning slow part was very reminiscent of Evolution in its choreography. I’m sure that was deliberate to an extent, but the music for the first half of Evolution really worked for that choreography but it doesn’t quite translate with the same impact to the slower section of Paradise. Maybe the choreo there should be tweaked to be a bit more specific to this current dance. It’s fine to leave some of the references to Evolution in but this didn’t start feeling like a new dance to me until the first lift.

Speaking of the first lift, that was a wow moment for me. Absolutely loved the little snippet of Fix You in the music! It fit in so well. All the new lifts were beautiful and well done. I like the idea and direction of this program a lot, and once they figure out the pacing and really turn up the performance and interpretation it’s going to be amazing.

Congratulations on winning Rostelecom Shibs! They’ve got plenty of time to work out the kinks before Skate America so I’m not worried.

Me neither. Despite some war weary hardcore skating fans like me being critical, it's obvious their FD is going for the broad Olympic audience and they want music to really get people up and feel something. I know people are complaining that this was too similar to Fix You, but the ending is quite different. This one is intended to be more of an explosion and a celebration while Fix You was supposed to be more catharsis.

MRani

Me neither. Despite some war weary hardcore skating fans like me being critical, it's obvious their FD is going for the broad Olympic audience and they want music to really get people up and feel something. I know people are complaining that this was too similar to Fix You, but the ending is quite different. This one is intended to be more of an explosion and a celebration while Fix You was supposed to be more catharsis.

I actually don’t feel like this is similar to Fix You at all, strangely enough, although I was concerned it would be when they announced their music choice. You’re right, the entire feeling is completely different. Fix You was about pushing through their desperation to a better place while this dance is a celebration of where they are now and how far they’ve come.

I don’t really blame them for being artistically “safer” and going for something with broad appeal. It’s an Olympic year, literally everyone is doing this and playing to their strengths. People who want to criticize V/M and P/C will say they’re rehashing old programs too. That’s too simplistic of an interpretation for all 3 teams in my opinion.

Anyasnake

I actually don’t feel like this is similar to Fix You at all, strangely enough, although I was concerned it would be when they announced their music choice. You’re right, the entire feeling is completely different. Fix You was about pushing through their desperation to a better place while this dance is a celebration of where they are now and how far they’ve come.

I don’t really blame them for being artistically “safer” and going for something with broad appeal. It’s an Olympic year, literally everyone is doing this and playing to their strengths. People who want to criticize V/M and P/C will say they’re rehashing old programs too. That’s too simplistic of an interpretation for all 3 teams in my opinion.
Like I said with P/C : Don't expect Shibs to do a Polka. EVER :scream: (Nobody will like that).
For me it's a completely different vibe from Fix you. V/M's MR isn't a Carmen redo and P/C's MS isn't the same FD we saw last year. Way too easy to say that.
You can choose to be in the same artistic feeling, and it's better if you do what's best for you in the Olympic season (unless you're absolutely nuts). I personally really liked it ! It was a very good first outing especially without doing a senior B before. I'm waiting for the vlog now :D

sap5

Also I noticed a lot of the moves featured Maia -- her reaching to the audience, her trying to connect with Alext, etc. Again a subtle thing that won't get you inventive points, but really is about pushing their own personal skating/potential.

The lyrics are about a girl, so if it didn't feature Maia I'd be confused.

gk_891

This was huge for them to finish ahead of B/S here, in Russia no less too.

Some very nice skating in the free dance too. For now, the program still looks a bit new to them. But of course, it's very early in the season so I'm sure the performance aspect to this dance will improve by the time the Olympics and Worlds come around. I look forward to seeing this free dance grow.

suki

Beautifully articulated, VIETgrlTerifa. Take a well-deserved bow:encore:

chapis

Alex´s skating was pretty spectacular today, and he was projecting much self-confidence. I read a comment in youtube of someone wishing that Maia could get another partner but really they are so strong together, in the last years I have been very surprised by the security they project while skating, as they almost never seem nervous, but I think they simply trust too much on their own abilities and the ability of her/his partner, it must feel great to skate with someone so dependable, to have someone you do not have to worry about that person going to mess up the twizzles or drop you on a lift.

I am loving this program and their skating.

Marina also seems to be very confident about them. Massimo also did not come to this competition, I think that last season he accompanied them to all their competitions, but I suppose they saw them sufficiently prepared and decided that it was best that Massimo stayed in Canton in charge of the rest of the teams.

Firedancer

Congratulations to the Shibs! This is a big win. I love the new FD. I love the new lifts (especially the first two), the quick nod to Fix You and their twizzles are always amazing. I would like to see more of a build toward the end. But this is a great start for them. And I don’t think this program is the same as Fix You. This is much more celebratory. Can’t wait to see them at Skate America!

teacakes

protocols http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gprus2017/gprus2017_IceDance_FD_Scores.pdf

Look at those GOE, very well. And it seems that little by little they are convincing to judges about twizzles, but still 8.14 when I already saw other team with average twizzles getting more in another competition :huh:.

I think because their twizzles are so consistently excellent they're judged to a higher standard. (This is me being naïve okay).

I think this program is going to need more mileage for me to love it, and that's okay. The sound quality was a bit iffy too (and I was watching in HD).

But this was a big win. If B/S didn't botch that spin, who knows. They didn't falter, and that's what's important.

Maddie Sparks

I’ve been hoping B.Esp commentary of their programs would appear too but no luck there either :(. Maybe they didn’t comment on dance?

There was CBC commentary with Kurt and Carol that I watched on TV. She was really complimentary of how strong a lot of their elements were already, especially the flow and speed they achieved into and out of their lifts, as well as the twizzles (of course).

MRani

There was CBC commentary with Kurt and Carol that I watched on TV. She was really complimentary of how strong a lot of their elements were already, especially the flow and speed they achieved into and out of their lifts, as well as the twizzles (of course).

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know. Hopefully somebody will upload the video with CBC commentary sometime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information