The Shibutanis Thread 4: Ready for Paradise

Anyasnake

The Shibs being the tease until the very end, I wanted to see the TWIZZLES !! :biggrinbo
@chapis This looks (right now) much better than W/P (at ACI) though... :confused:
We'll see TOMORROW ! :)

VGThuy

This already has more content than their hip hop SD last season. I already think the partial step is much better here than it was last year. I think with time, they'll hit the music even harder and add little nuances here and there like the way they did with their SD last season.

clairecloutier

I absolutely LOVE the still photos of Maia's costume, she looks totally gorgeous and glam, just what i was hoping for. BUT, watching the video, the red detailing on the top of the dress gets lost in the bigger view, and the only red you see is her skirt. I wonder if they need to add more red to the top of the dress. I love seeing her in a strong color.

Mrs. P

I absolutely LOVE the still photos of Maia's costume, she looks totally gorgeous and glam, just what i was hoping for. BUT, watching the video, the red detailing on the top of the dress gets lost in the bigger view, and the only red you see is her skirt. I wonder if they need to add more red to the top of the dress. I love seeing her in a strong color.

I agree. I also think Alex shirt probably could use a little more color as well. But I'm sure they'll add to it/adjust as the season goes on. At least the judges aren't up in the stands and can probably see the colors up-close. ;)

I do love the Diva Maia makeup/hair. Total 180 from 2011-2012 SD!

chapis

well, we will have enough red anyway https://imgur.com/a/wDkFl :p
Starting order

First group

1. Betina POPOVA / Sergey MOZGOV
2. Nicole KUZMICHOVA / Alexandr SINICYN
3. Alisa AGAFONOVA / Alper UCAR
4. Marie-Jade LAURIAULT / Romain LE GAC
5. Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS

Second group

6. Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN
7. Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER
8. Charlene GUIGNARD / Marco FABBRI
9. Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI
10. Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gprus2017/SEG007.HTM

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Love love this already. They have amazing music cuts, and the program looks amazing. The only thing I'm not completely sold on is the costumes, but I'll need to see them with better camera angles. Plus I'm sure they'll get tweaked.

chapis

Last edited:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual

suki

My impressions from the practice:

Their patterns are HUGE!

Because Maia is such a natural beauty with great posture and bearing, she can wear an OTP dress and still make it look classy. I think because she wears such an explosion of colors and beading, it was the right decision for Alex's costume to be in more neutral tones (albeit with beading).

Most important, they look like they are having fun showing off their Latin moves. Can't wait to see them in competition.

gk_891

Practice vid of the Shib's SD at Rostelecom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmrIbrcmck0

Enjoyed the music cut. Very cohesive. Great vibe. They look good.

Thanks for this. I wish I could see that double choctaw up closer but based on the pattern they make on the ice, I would assume it was strongly skated as both the left forward inside edge and the back ride outside edge were taken very wide and were more or less equal to one another.

I have mixed feelings about the music but based on what I've seen here, this could work quite well for them.

Laura4

Best of luck to the Shibs! Here's hoping they knock our and the judges socks off with two great skates! I'd love nothing better than to see them upset the apple cart and silence all those who've said the best they can hope for is the bronze medal at the Olympics.

Anyasnake

I can't wait for tomorrow ! I checked and the panel seems actually very balanced, so maybe I was worried for nothing (I hope).
I want to check the costumes with a better camera work, it might be a bit too much sparkles for my taste but it's a personnal opinion ^^. But Maia's skirt color is AWESOME !! Her make up is on point too !
I love how much they seem in control of what they do. Since they can't control what the judges do, they created their own style. Fortunately, Marina let them play with that, and I know a lot of people aren't fond of Coldplay, but It's one of my favourite band of all time, I'm just so happy they get to skate to it one more time. :cheer:

What do you guys think about the starting order ?

VGThuy

I can't wait for tomorrow ! I checked and the panel seems actually very balanced, so maybe I was worried for nothing (I hope).
I want to check the costumes with a better camera work, it might be a bit too much sparkles for my taste but it's a personnal opinion ^^. But Maia's skirt color is AWESOME !! Her make up is on point too !
I love how much they seem in control of what they do. Since they can't control what the judges do, they created their own style. Fortunately, Marina let them play with that, and I know a lot of people aren't fond of Coldplay, but It's one of my favourite band of all time, I'm just so happy they get to skate to it one more time. :cheer:

What do you guys think about the starting order ?

Much better than last season. Remember when they were the first skaters at both Skate America and Cup of China?

Anyasnake

Much better than last season. Remember when they were the first skaters at both Skate America and Cup of China?
Oh yes. :scream: Honestly, starting order DOES matter on PCS. An A+ team starting first has sometimes lower PCS than a same-level team going last. Not fair. I wonder how it will compare with B/S skating right after though :confused:

MRani

Practice vid of the Shib's SD at Rostelecom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmrIbrcmck0

Thanks so much for the video! And thanks to chapis too for all the great pictures. I really love what I’ve seen so far. The Shibs look intense and fun and passionate out there and the choreography really captures the music well.

I love Maia’s dress. From a distance the red detail on her top isn’t noticeable at all, but I actually like the way your eye is drawn to the color and movement of the skirt in that case. As for Alex, I think he fades a little in the all-beige top. Perhaps they could replace that beige ribbon that joins the two sides of his shirt together with an orange/pink ribbon that matches Maia’s skirt. I think that’s all the color he would need to stand out and match Maia better.

chapis

Although her dress is very beautiful, it is quite conservative. It's what I said with W/P, I understand the concept of the costumes but you're competing against all the other couples who are trying the sexy route (dance, costume or both), and let's face it, sexy is an easier sale. So far it is my only complaint, and it is not really complaint, but I feel that in that aspect they are a little disadvantaged.

MRani

Although her dress is very beautiful, it is quite conservative. It's what I said with W/P, I understand the concept of the costumes but you're competing against all the other couples who are trying the sexy route (dance, costume or both), and let's face it, sexy is an easier sale. So far it is my only complaint, and it is not really complaint, but I feel that in that aspect they are a little disadvantaged.

You just described why I wasn’t digging Maia’s sleeves at first. I kept thinking the dress would be better sleeveless like what she usually wears. I usually hate it when people throw the sibling thing at them as if it’s some sort of limitation, but I think in this case they’re still figuring out how to be sexy together without being sexy AT each other. Also, I think Maia is naturally a bit conservative in her style. And I’d rather she perform in something she feels comfortable in than being self-conscious on the ice.

Anyway it’s a great sign that the only thing we have to nitpick right now is the costumes :lol:. They have a strong SD which is the most important thing.

Spun Silver

I love these costumes. Let us not leave Alex’s sexy shirt out of the conversation. To me the twirl of that red skirt is a wonderful accent that would not have the surprise and fun factor if she were all in red. Of course it will be better with a closeup camera but I do love the V neck for Alex and the way Maia’s skirt moves. Love her hair and makeup too. And the skating is sublime. Everything looks so smooth and easy.

So are they going to do the twizzles on the first HU (JU?)? That will be fun.

ETA: until I saw photos and read the comments here, I couldnt even tell she had “sleeves.” I would call them bracelets that wont get in the way or fall off thanks to illusion (fabric). :)

Last edited:

suki

I think they are taking the best approach. I said at the end of last season (I think on this board) that Shibs should go for a carnivale-type feel. Leave the faux sexy to the other couples. After seeing a good number of the SDs, this stands out for its musical cohesiveness and joyous fun rather than "we want to have sex/let's get it on" vibe from most of the other teams.

I agree with VIETgrlTerifa that they may want to add a little color to Alex's shirt, but it is a minor quibble. Alex has such a wonderful, expressive face, he really does NOT need a lot of costume embellishment to set the right mood for the dance and draw you in. He lets his skating do all the talking:rollin:

As for Maia: Girl, shake your tail feather with that bombastic skirt and show them what classy Latin dance looks like!

VGThuy

Here's a great pic of them with Elena Radionova and Denis Vasiljevs at I think registration/accreditation:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BacIsXDnCJu/?taken-by=lenok_radionova

Maia decided to put on a Ralph Lauren dress for the occasion. I wasn't able to view it, but I saw on my phone that Alex tried to do a IG livestream. I have a feeling Alex and Maia are those people who can't sit still.

I'm glad @chapis likes this dance. I wanted her take on it.

sap5

This music always makes me think of fast movement. I remember when Gordeeva/Grinkov used this music for an SP in 1990. Of course, they were a pair team, but I loved the fast footwork. The middle piece was used by Weaver/Poje in 2012, but they used a fast version, which I also liked.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information