Really, part deux

Kruss

Not Auto-Tuned
Oh goodness, Gerry, what you've all been through! I'm glad that they were able to treat Lee with such great success. I pray that Lee continues to get stronger and continues moving closer and closer to the day when she can go home again. Hugs to you, Lee, and your entire family.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
The Olympic skating season is officially starting this weekend with the first of the Grand Prix events - this year that's the Rostelecom Cup. I hope @Really will be able to watch the (limited) CBC TV coverage on the "Road to the Olympic Games", even if the live stream may not be available to her.

Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers!

barbarafan

The Olympic skating season is officially starting this weekend with the first of the Grand Prix events - this year that's the Rostelecom Cup. I hope @Really will be able to watch the (limited) CBC TV coverage on the "Road to the Olympic Games", even if the live stream may not be available to her.

Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers!

Why wouldn't the live stream be available to her...Isn't it everywhere in Canada?

Japanfan

Yes it is available across the country but only to those with the ability to stream at sufficient speed/bandwidth. I'm not sure what she has available at her current location.

Do any hospitals have wi-fi in the rooms? I don't think the ones here do. But they really should, especially give that SFAIK hospitals do rent televisions.

It would be one way to brighten the day of patients well enough to use a computer - Lee being able to watch FS stream being an obvious example.

Mozart

I've got 99 problems but a colon ain't 1
Do any hospitals have wi-fi in the rooms? I don't think the ones here do. But they really should, especially give that SFAIK hospitals do rent televisions.

It would be one way to brighten the day of patients well enough to use a computer - Lee being able to watch FS stream being an obvious example.

My hospital in middle of nowhere has WiFi.

Gerry

Hi gang...

A few things - I'm not ignoring you, just really busy, for reasons which will become obvious in a minute.

Yes, we do have free hi-speed wifi and free tv in our little hospital out here in the sticks... but Lee hasn't been up to watching either.

Remember how I told you she had to have a shunt revision? Well, after we got her back here, she deteriorated again. A fast trip back into the big city found us back in Emergency, where another Cat Scan revealed hydrocephalus... again. The shunt wasn't doing its job.

The surgeon tapped the shunt to relieve the pressure and just like before, Lee woke back up. They monitored it through the night, hydrated her and got her into surgery the next day... the lines were all good, but the valve wasn't working properly; so she got her third shunt installed. Recovery for the rest of the day and night, and when I walked into ICU the next morning, I found her sitting there, talking with my daughter (who somehow didn't tell me she was taking the day off and driving up) and a bunch of the same nurses that had worked so hard to save her life back in November... 331 days previous.

She seemed in good spirits (might have been the after-effects of the anesthetic :) but had a pretty good day. Friday wasn't great, yesterday was pretty minimal - she is still waking, talking, and responding, but it's pretty obvious that something isn't right - so they have kept her in the big hospital until they can figure out what it is. Theories right now range from infection to just plain tired... Lee has gone quiet for days at a time before, during this journey, only to suddenly wake up and be herself, so I'm pretty relaxed, while the professionals do their thing. As always, I am more than pleased with the care and dedication they show to her, and I'm confident they'll figure it out. Until then, she is stable, responsive, just really tired and quiet.

The journey continues... thanks for being there for her.

Spun Silver

Gerry, you are showing what marriage is supposed to be. I am in awe. The constant ups and downs must be taking a toll, but it sounds like you are handling it as well as anyone possibly could. I pray they do figure out this latest down soon for you and your girl.

Last edited:

barbarafan

Hi gang...

A few things - I'm not ignoring you, just really busy, for reasons which will become obvious in a minute.

Yes, we do have free hi-speed wifi and free tv in our little hospital out here in the sticks... but Lee hasn't been up to watching either.

Remember how I told you she had to have a shunt revision? Well, after we got her back here, she deteriorated again. A fast trip back into the big city found us back in Emergency, where another Cat Scan revealed hydrocephalus... again. The shunt wasn't doing its job.

The surgeon tapped the shunt to relieve the pressure and just like before, Lee woke back up. They monitored it through the night, hydrated her and got her into surgery the next day... the lines were all good, but the valve wasn't working properly; so she got her third shunt installed. Recovery for the rest of the day and night, and when I walked into ICU the next morning, I found her sitting there, talking with my daughter (who somehow didn't tell me she was taking the day off and driving up) and a bunch of the same nurses that had worked so hard to save her life back in November... 331 days previous.

She seemed in good spirits (might have been the after-effects of the anesthetic :) but had a pretty good day. Friday wasn't great, yesterday was pretty minimal - she is still waking, talking, and responding, but it's pretty obvious that something isn't right - so they have kept her in the big hospital until they can figure out what it is. Theories right now range from infection to just plain tired... Lee has gone quiet for days at a time before, during this journey, only to suddenly wake up and be herself, so I'm pretty relaxed, while the professionals do their thing. As always, I am more than pleased with the care and dedication they show to her, and I'm confident they'll figure it out. Until then, she is stable, responsive, just really tired and quiet.

The journey continues... thanks for being there for her.

So she is on her 3rd shunt? Is that correct? So do they think the shunts have a defect or is there something mysterious in Lee's problems that is in some way making the shunt's fail? Well she is in the right place and her doctors will leave no stone unturned. Is this a teaching hospital? I think they will need to start a new class..LEE101. Take care .

Jayar

Well, shit. There's nothing else I can say beyond that. I keep hoping to come here, read that there has been a miraculous recovery, and that she is back teaching and here snarking over the Cup of Russia results with the rest of us. @Gerry, I know that you must be tired, so thank you for sharing an update with us. Please send my love to Lee and to all of your family.

pat c

This is still the right address to get cards to Lee:

Cards_4_Lee
Bentley School
Box 299, 5314 - 49 Street
Bentley, Alberta,
T0C 0J0

Can we add The staff at:
Rimbey Hospital Acute Care Center,
5228 - 50 Avenue,
Rimbey, AB
T0C 2J0

FreeAgent

Ok... almost a year and the battle is still raging. Obviously this is not a sprint but a marathon and the end is not yet visible but as small a consolation as this is, we're with you and Lee, Gerry. I'm confident in saying that prayers and support will continue as needed.
Also, know that you are not required to come here and update us on a schedule... only when you can and feel that you can.

Blessing to you, Lee and all the hospital staff.

Barbie

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information