The Shibutanis Thread 4: Ready for Paradise

VGThuy

For some reason, today just felt right to make the new Shibs thread. If you guys don't like this thread title, let me know in the next 24 hours with suggestions and I can change it if there's a consensus.

As to why I felt the need to start this thread right now, maybe it's the anticipation of Rostelecom Cup and the fact that they should be in Moscow right now, and I think it's time for a new thread right before their season starts. Also because they confirmed that their music is:

SD: Mambo: Mambo No. 5 by Perez Prado, Cha Cha: Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White by Perez Prado, Samba: Mambo Jambo/Mambo No. 8 by Perez Prado5";

FD: "Paradise" by Coldplay;

with choreo by M Zueva, M. Scali, R. Roca, S. Lambiel (not sure who did what but the Shibs are using a collaborative model for their programs so maybe lines are blurred).

I figured I should provide some previous links to get us revved up for this season.

Preview of their SD from Ann Arbor Figure Skating Club's Instagram page:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaEv-RqAqMr/?taken-by=annarborfsc

Vlogs related to their preparations for this upcoming season:

Working with co-choreographer Stephane Lambiel in Switzerland right after Worlds

Watch us Work with SD music preview, footage of work with off-ice ballroom dancers and Peter Tchernyshev

70 Hours in June with FD music preview with music editor Ryanimay, costume fitting

140 Hours in June with SD music preview with Ryanimay and showing footage with co-choreographer Renee Roca

Reut's in-depth interview with the Shibs right after Worlds:

Thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-maia-and-alex-shibutani.101504/#post-5094017

Direct Link: http://absoluteskating.com/interviews/2017shibutani.html

https://www.instagram.com/maiashibutani/

https://www.instagram.com/alexshibutani/

https://www.instagram.com/shibsibs/

Spun Silver

OK, I dont like the title. Too many words and concepts. Paradise Found and Ready for Paradise are much better IMO. Paradise Realized -not poetic. Dreams of Paradise - pretty, but I thought we wanted to go big. They are doing more than dreaming.

VGThuy

OK, I dont like the title. Too many words and concepts. Paradise Found and Ready for Paradise are much better IMO. Paradise Realized -not poetic. Dreams of Paradise - pretty, but I thought we wanted to go big. They are doing more than dreaming.

I was quoting the song lyrics. I thought dreams represented their ambitions and realized represented the work they put out to realize their dreams rather than just reacting to find it.

I changed it to Ready for Paradise. Unless you think something else works better.

Last edited:

chapis

in the official schedule says that the official practice is Thursday, is not that too long ?, tomorrow we will have nothing? :(

VGThuy

in the official schedule says that the official practice is Thursday, is not that too long ?, tomorrow we will have nothing? :(

We'll just have to be patient, even if it means we won't see anything until competition time, :lol:. We've waited this long, might as well keep waiting. Enjoy this time where we can still use our imagination.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm debating whether I should work super early (i.e. 4 a.m., YIKES) so I can take a break and watch the SD live (they'll be in the second group, so thinking I need to tune in around 7 a.m. PDT) or to not read any boards and watch it at my leisure in the evening.

I'm excited to see them FINALLY!

Spun Silver

I was quoting the song lyrics. I thought dreams represented their ambitions and realized represented the work they put out to realize their dreams rather than just reacting to find it.

I changed it to Ready for Paradise. Unless you think something else works better.
I like it. Maybe after Sat. we will have the confidence to change it to Paradise Found. :)

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Shibutanis hope "Paradise" paves the way to gold
Coldplay single completes career-changing trilogy for American siblings

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/10/18/258922394

Fix You, Evolution…Paradise.

The idea for Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani's free dance this Olympic season, set to Coldplay's 2011 single "Paradise," began taking shape two seasons ago, when the siblings reignited their career with another Coldplay song, "Fix You."

But it's been gestating for nearly two decades, ever since Maia took the ice at age 4, inspired by visions of Kristi Yamaguchi, Michelle Kwan and the Olympic rings.

chapis

Shibutanis hope "Paradise" paves the way to gold
Coldplay single completes career-changing trilogy for American siblings

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/10/18/258922394

Fix You, Evolution…Paradise.

The idea for Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani's free dance this Olympic season, set to Coldplay's 2011 single "Paradise," began taking shape two seasons ago, when the siblings reignited their career with another Coldplay song, "Fix You."

But it's been gestating for nearly two decades, ever since Maia took the ice at age 4, inspired by visions of Kristi Yamaguchi, Michelle Kwan and the Olympic rings.

Very interesting. I think this is about we talked some weeks ago:

"We connect to those lyrics so well," Alex said. "Maia started skating first; it was her dream. Then it became both of our dreams, something we could do together. And if you've followed our career, you know things flew away from our reach at a point. There were trials and tribulations and gut-check moments where you have to continue to dream."

"The song is something we feel in a layered, personal way," Maia said. "It's allowed us to find new ways to share who we are as people. To reach the point we're at, it wouldn't have been possible if we didn't believe in ourselves."

sap5

Aren't people usually criticizing the Shibs for "not letting go" enough and just living the music? It sounds like that criticism won't be a valid one this year. Wouldn't it be something if Shibs walked away with the gold when all was said and done? They've got the technique. Now they have the confidence and 100% believe in their programs.

ETA: Really looking forward to the SD!
"We did Latin (in the 2011-12 season), but the choreography is so much more exciting this time around," Maia said. "We've realized how much stronger a team we are, and we are able to get into details we weren't even thinking of the last time around."

VGThuy

Aren't people usually criticizing the Shibs for "not letting go" enough and just living the music? It sounds like that criticism won't be a valid one this year. Wouldn't it be something if Shibs walked away with the gold when all was said and done? They've got the technique. Now they have the confidence and 100% believe in their programs.

ETA: Really looking forward to the SD!

Their reworked 2011-2012 SD from Nationals on is one of my favorite programs of theirs. I'm glad to see that they're excited about it and that they think it's better than their 2011-2012 SD. I know all teams say things like that, but I like hearing it out of their mouths.

VGThuy

Maia's blog for Team USA:

https://www.teamusa.org/News/2017/O...s-For-Olympic-Season-And-The-Creative-Process

It's a long one, which I appreciated.

ETA: She talks a lot about their programs here. Their Coldplay FD will also feature Korean artist and BGA member, Jun Curry Anh who is also known for his violin covers of popular songs.

ETA2: Maia wrote "reaching our Paradise together" with Alex. Maybe "Reaching Paradise" should be the thread title?

Last edited:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Maia's blog for Team USA:

https://www.teamusa.org/News/2017/O...s-For-Olympic-Season-And-The-Creative-Process

It's a long one, which I appreciated.

ETA: She talks a lot about their programs here. Their Coldplay FD will also feature Korean artist and BGA member, Jun Curry Anh who is also known for his violin covers of popular songs.

ETA2: Maia wrote "reaching our Paradise together" with Alex. Maybe "Reaching Paradise" should be the thread title?
I loooooove the amount of thought and effort that has been put into everything by these two. I cannot wait to see these programs.

MRani

Thanks for posting Maia’s blog! I really enjoyed reading that and I’m even more pumped for these programs now. I also think Reaching Paradise is an amazing thread title! It somehow sounds more concise and elegant than Ready for Paradise. And more active.

After reading Maia’s blog, I’m starting to think Paradise might be the only music in the FD, but it’s going to include a violin cover as well as the original song. Should be interesting.

VGThuy

I particularly liked this passage about competing in Moscow:

"I only realized it as I was writing this blog, but competing in Moscow for our third time has special meaning. Our first time here was when we medaled at our first world championships in 2011. Expectations following that result were definitely high and hopeful. The second time we competed in Moscow was in 2013. At that point, things were already flying away from our reach. We were young and hadn’t developed our own point of view. Alex and I didn’t really connect to either program we were competing at the time. Both program ideas had been suggested to us by others. That competition was the only time in our seven years of competing on the grand prix series (14 competitions in total) that we didn’t medal. Our sense of self wasn’t entirely tied to our competitive results, but the thing that was most challenging for us was that we didn’t truly feel ownership of what we were doing.

Heading into this weekend, I can reflect and know that we have grown so much. This free dance has layers of connection that go at least four or five layers deeper than what I have explained. Creating a program like this has been challenging, but those challenges have led to special and important breakthroughs. We are committed and connected to every moment of our programs. This off-season, Alex and I have worked the hardest we ever have, and we are in the best shape of our lives. I feel really ready! This year, our goal is to do the best that we can do and the best that we have ever have. "

Spun Silver

Yup. I think she saw we were on the right track, but struggling, and decided to put us out of our pain. :D Thanks, Maia!

ETA: There is no instrument like the violin for emotion, so that sounds like a really good addition to Coldplay.

Alas, I am not going to be able to watch the FD live or follow PBP. We are having a bunch of people over for lunch on Saturday. Somehow "watching a skating competition" never counts as a real plan when coordinating schedules with people!

Last edited:

Dobre

I still like Ready for Paradise.

I like that it has multiple meanings. From a training perspective--ready for the Olympic season. From a career perspective--ready for a culmination of all they have worked for within their careers. From a dream perspective--ready to embrace the dream they have worked for.

My apologies for sounding like a broken record, but people keep suggesting something new; and--yay!--for lots of ideas. But if we are voting, then after every new idea, I keep feeling like I have to vote. I like "Reaching Paradise," but I feel like it belongs at the end of the season. The current title feels right for the beginning of a season.

chapis

That blog was great. I am really happy that they are writing again, she seems so sure of herself. I loved this: Because we love what we are doing, we aren’t dependent on results to be proud of what we have done.
Interesting to know their thoughts about their programs in 2012-13, I think Memoirs of a Geisha was beautiful but I am glad they are connecting with their programs now.

I must confess that I am a little worried about the collaboration of Jun Curry Anh, it is not secret that I don´t like covers.... wait, he sings or just plays the violin?, I'm fine if he only plays the violin.
----------
About the title of the thread, I am fine with the title that all of you want, but as I see that we do not agree, I propose that we set a deadline to vote, how about tomorrow at 23:00 EST USA.?

I vote: Ready for paradise.

Last edited:

MRani

I still like Ready for Paradise.

I like that it has multiple meanings. From a training perspective--ready for the Olympic season. From a career perspective--ready for a culmination of all they have worked for within their careers. From a dream perspective--ready to embrace the dream they have worked for.

My apologies for sounding like a broken record, but people keep suggesting something new; and--yay!--for lots of ideas. But if we are voting, then after every new idea, I keep feeling like I have to vote. I like "Reaching Paradise," but I feel like it belongs at the end of the season. The current title feels right for the beginning of a season.

Well apparently I’m a super indecisive person because after reading this post now I’m back on board with Ready for Paradise. Please no one listen to me :shuffle:

VGThuy

I can't edit the title anymore as the 24 hour deadline to edit posts has passed. Looks like "Ready for Paradise" is the title. :)

I must confess that I am a little worried about the collaboration of Jun Curry Anh, it is not secret that I don´t like covers.... wait, he sings or just plays the violin?, I'm fine if he only plays the violin.

From what I know, Jun Curry Ahn* is known for his violin instrumental covers.

Here's his cover of Pachelbel's Canon with guitarist Sungha Jung:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWwqmEZ0x3k

I actually knew of Sungha Jung before I knew Jun Curry Ahn. I only started knowing Ahn thanks to BGA/Wong Fu/Shibs.

*The Team USA article spells it "Anh" which is also how a Vietnamese name is spelled, but it seems he spells it "Ahn" so I spelled it that way since it seems to be the way he actually spells it.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

I listened to the Ahn-Jung vid. I think it's just what the doctor ordered to bring Coldplay's Paradise into the competition/arena realm of emotion and excitement. I think it will be great.

chapis

Practice vid of the Shib's SD at Rostelecom. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmrIbrcmck0

Enjoyed the music cut. Very cohesive. Great vibe. They look good.

Finally!!!, thanks!!! I really like it!!, it is truly cohesive, a whole coherent concept and very fluid, I am just not sure with the costumes, I need a better video or picture but I feel a litte like with W/P, great program but with better costumes it would be a lot better.

As they were working with Ryan I was worried that they could do something really weird with the music trying be original, I'm glad I was wrong.

ETA. I found a picture https://twitter.com/palelimelight/status/920957233348915201, well, she looks really beautiful!!!

other picture http://radikal.ru/lfp/s019.radikal.ru/i617/1710/83/03629d2cb99f.jpg/htm

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information