Project Runway 2017

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I first watched PR for the Sasha Cohen episode....was that Season 3? Anyway, Mychael's season was one of the best, lots of talent.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Sasha Cohen was a judge on Season 2 during the figure skating costume challenge. The one where Santino created this OTT outfit. :lol: That's the season I began watching too. I became hooked and I eventually purchased DVDs of Seasons 1-3. I'd actually like to find a box-set of the other seasons to complete my collection. But it looks like each season is sold separately, aside from trying to scout out a box-set bargain on ebay.

Michael Knight from season 3 passed away today. He was 39. I didn't see the cause of death in this article.
http://obviousmag.com/remembering-mychael-knight-1978-2017/

edit: TMZ says cause was complications from IBS.
http://www.tmz.com/2017/10/17/project-runway-finalist-mychael-knight-dead

Oh wow! I remember Mychael Knight. He was my favorite designer on Season 3. He was such a kind and sharing person too. Season 3 was probably one of the best ever. Seasons 1, 2 and 4 were high caliber too.

That's so sad about Mychael's illness and recent passing. What a heartfelt and wonderful tribute to him by his friend in Obvious Magazine. He was so young. Too young to die when he had so much more to give. My condolences to Mychael's family and friends.

Mychael was a quick study. He had auditioned for Season 2 but was not selected. Instead of being discouraged, he went home and decided to watch Season 2 and create designs at home for each challenge. Then he auditioned again for Season 3 and the rest is history! He actually had the best overall record among the designers for challenge performances, even though he placed 4th in the designer collection/Fashion Week portion of the competition. Mychael had been truly inspired by his muse/model, Nazri Segaro (who was later picked off by 3rd place finisher Uli Herzner). I think Mychael was caught off guard by Uli, and he seemed to lose his mojo when he lost his muse. During the challenges, Mychael was always friendly and generous. He reached out and shared with his competitors, in particular with Kayne Gillaspie during the High Flying Fashion challenge, which is one of my favorite Project Runway moments. The designers had to design their own outfit and walk the runway. Mychael helped calm his fellow southerner Kayne's nerves by giving Kayne some tips and a cool demonstration on how to rock a runway walk. :D

I haven't been able to keep up with Project Runway ever since viewing online has been tied to having an expensive cable tv package. But even before that happened, watching online was difficult with all the ad interruptions.

I see that Harvey Weinstein has been quickly disassociated from the show in the aftermath of sexual harassment scandal. Someone commented that the public backlash against Weinstein's horrendous behavior is negatively affecting his wife's design company, Marchesa. I think that's unfortunate. I read that his wife has left him, so divorce will likely soon follow.

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2017/10/claire-buitendorp-disqualified-project-runway/

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I haven't been able to keep up with Project Runway ever since viewing online has been tied to having an expensive cable tv package. But even before that happened, watching online was difficult with all the ad interruptions.

I'm fairly certain that anyone can watch the episodes the day after they air on Lifetime's website, regardless of whether they have a cable package. And there are many options for 30 second ads that require you usually to just click somewhere on the screen to proceed back to the show. I've watched a few of the episodes online after I've had DVR issues and I don't remember having to fill in any credentials.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Thanks, but for some reason I've had a lot of trouble getting the videos to play off Lifetime. I'm not sure if it's a browser issue or what.

I actually have more trouble trying to watch archived seasons because I'm behind about four seasons. :lol: Maybe I wouldn't have as much trouble watching recent episodes.

millyskate

You can watch on dailymotion, the day after. Admitedly there are lots of spam videos to sort through but they are available.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I'm fairly certain that anyone can watch the episodes the day after they air on Lifetime's website, regardless of whether they have a cable package. And there are many options for 30 second ads that require you usually to just click somewhere on the screen to proceed back to the show. I've watched a few of the episodes online after I've had DVR issues and I don't remember having to fill in any credentials.

I'll ha e to try Dailymotion because Popcorn isn't working anymore. The PR site itself is geoblocked outside the US.

tony

^^ Thanks, but for some reason I've had a lot of trouble getting the videos to play off Lifetime. I'm not sure if it's a browser issue or what.

I actually have more trouble trying to watch archived seasons because I'm behind about four seasons. :lol: Maybe I wouldn't have as much trouble watching recent episodes.

Hulu has those seasons (I think they have everything from 9 on). Get a free month trial and catch up :)

meggonzo

Banned Member
I kept thinking Tim would use his save on Michael since the save was mentioned multiple times in the episode.

tony

I kept thinking Tim would use his save on Michael since the save was mentioned multiple times in the episode.

Same. But you know the producers like dragging things to the next episode this year (and I believe even once or twice in the past Tim has 'felt bad' and decided to pull someone back early on into the episode rather than immediately upon being eliminated) so I looked specifically during the clips from next week and I believe there was a shot with the final 5 only.

Brandon's obviously way out there as a favorite, but the other four with the recent surge by Ayana and Margarita are all about equal. Kenya is really hit or miss and Kentaro had a huge misstep this week. It'll be interesting to see if they keep four around for Fashion Week.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Has anyone looked at Getty for the fashion week photos? Everyone left is instantly identifiable. I don't know how many decoys there were, but the finalists are typically back to back among the last five.

Susan1

Brandon's obviously way out there as a favorite,

I think he was probably the pick to win from the beginning. No matter what he does, they praise it. Anybody else, they'd complain about the strips hanging down on EVERY outfit. He whines about not knowing what to do and throws something together at the last minute and they love it.

skatesindreams

I prefer Ayana and Margarita.

Aside from the sameness and the strips; too many of Brandon's looks have a "Star Wars" vibe, IMO.
I don't know what the judges find so fascinating about his aesthetic.

millyskate

Margarita is creative but I don't really like her style. I've been really impressed with several of Ayana's designs and aside from this week, have liked Kentaro the most.

Reactions: Rob

Susan1

Can I just say that the "Pocahontas" outfit (without the extra colors and the styling) would have looked better on a thinner model? It's not the model's fault!!!! She is gorgeous and other people haven't had trouble making flattering things. If he was using unconventional materials, he should have taken the model's size into consideration. Brandon put a stiff tent top on a skinny model and got raves.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Same. But you know the producers like dragging things to the next episode this year (and I believe even once or twice in the past Tim has 'felt bad' and decided to pull someone back early on into the episode rather than immediately upon being eliminated) so I looked specifically during the clips from next week and I believe there was a shot with the final 5 only.

Brandon's obviously way out there as a favorite, but the other four with the recent surge by Ayana and Margarita are all about equal. Kenya is really hit or miss and Kentaro had a huge misstep this week. It'll be interesting to see if they keep four around for Fashion Week.

Good summary. (And thanks, @millyskate for posting the link, my usual route to PR is not working.)

I really like Kenya as a person but am not impressed with her recent looks. I'd say the other four should go to the finals, they've all shown originality and interesting designs. It's nice that there's not a nasty person among them, either.

Tesla

Whippet Good
Oh, man, when did Lifetime change their app? I was able to watch new episodes of Project Runway up to two weeks later but now I have to sign in to watch the latest episode. :( I don't have a provider.

skatemomaz

Resist
Oh, man, when did Lifetime change their app? I was able to watch new episodes of Project Runway up to two weeks later but now I have to sign in to watch the latest episode. :( I don't have a provider.
I was really annoyed by that. Totally a sleaze move by Lifetime

millyskate

The lastest episode

The judges sure are in love with Brandon, although I must admit that when they showed all his looks from the different challenges together when Kenya was commenting, they do make a cohesive ensemble whilst all being different. I really hoped Kenya would win though. I'm increasingly impressed by Ayana, she's incredibly skilled! Actually I find her looks to have the best combination of creativity, taste and skill. They're maybe not as sellable as Brandon's, and that's what the judges seem to like. Kentaro dodged a bullet. I'm not a big fan of Margarita's, but Tim's save was predictable

Last edited:

meggonzo

Banned Member
I assumed whoever was cut would get the Tim Gunn save since they probably have a certain number of challenges planned.

I thought Ayana should have won this week, but also thought Brandon should have won last week, so i guess it evens out.

I would have liked to have seen how Kentaro's would have turned out with the grey sweater. :(

Brandon is really going to have to mess up not to win this. Even if he's underwhelming next week, I'm sure they would still have him come to fashion week and compete for a spot in the final.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Just watched it. I also thought Ayana should have won this week but understand why Brandon did. I'm still not in love with Kenya's looks, including this one, very few women I know (big or otherwise) could wear it.

I'm happy Margarita is coming back, although I like her better than her clothes. I think at the end of the day her look is too "resort" for these snotty NY judges :lol: even if a lot of us might wear it in a more casual city or country.

Kentaro, oy. I would have sent him home for that mourning robe.

RoseRed

I think without the gold bodice thing, it would have been a very pretty dress, but with it it just reminded me of a costume. I totally get what she was going for, but I agree that she made it a bit overly literal. Still I'm glad she's back. I liked Brandon's look the best probably. I hope Kentaro pulls it together this week, since I've liked some of what he's done quite a lot.

agalisgv

Getty has pics of PR contestants from NYfashion week, and it was pretty clear which collection was Brandon's. I thought it was disappointing from the pics. The fabric choice looked really blah. One collection was fairly cringeworthy IMO. Not sure if it was one of the final four, tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information