U.S. Men in 2017 - articles & latest news

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickedwitch

At the last JGP event, Torgashev in 4th after the SP. What must he do to get to the Final?

Decent skate has Hiwatashi in 3rd
The current standings staying the same would probably be enough. I think he needs a silver to guarantee a spot, but a bronze will almost certainly be enough.

Sylvia

TBD
If Andrew Torgashev stays in 4th, he will need a total score of at least 192.04 (123.01 in FS tomorrow) to make the Final (13+9=22 with highest combined total score of both JGPs).

For both Tomoki Hiwatashi and Torgashev to make the Final, Hiwatashi needs to win the silver in Italy AND score 226.22 (152.94 in FS) in order to pass Russia's Ignatov who is currently 5th in the standings (13+11=24 & 416.10).

toddlj

For both Tomoki Hiwatashi and Torgashev to make the Final, Hiwatashi needs to win the silver in Italy AND score 226.22 (152.94 in FS) in order to pass Russia's Ignatov who is currently 5th in the standings (13+11=24 & 416.10).
AND Torgashev would need to move up to 3rd (and score 204) to pass Ignatov.

olympic

Judging by his year, it may be a stretch for Hiwatashi but it sounds like Torgashev stands a good chance of getting to the Final. I think it sends a great message if 3 US men were to make the final.

Dobre

Judging by his year, it may be a stretch for Hiwatashi.

That sure was a beautiful short program for Tomoki, though. The cantilever, the ina bauer, the change of edge spin, the beautiful height and flexibility in the two leaps in the step sequence. I've rewatched it five times now. Misses the end of his music. (Rohene, just plan in a few seconds after the spins for these guys, would you?) But really, a nice vehicle for showcasing Tomoki's strengths this season. Especially among all the junior guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfNQ2LzSgFM

Jammers

I'm hoping that Andrew gets out of this bad habit of popping jumps he has everything else to be a threat at the next level. Bit worried that he doesn't seem to have the 3axel though i swear i've seem him land a couple before but he has huge potential.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Of course I love Rohene anyway, but one of the things I *really* appreciate is that Tomoki is skating a "real" Rohene program, not some "dumbed down" junior version. And Tomoki is taking full advantage. Most of our junior men do have good choreo, but some countries' junior men (cough, cough) seem to get leftover dregs.

And of course I love my performer Andrew T. as well. I was soooooo hoping both would make JGPF, along with Alex and Camden. Still may be hope:saint:

Sylvia

TBD
Congrats to the THREE U.S. men who have qualified for the JGP Final :): Alex Krasnozhon (30 points, in 2nd position), Camden Pulkinen (28 points, 3rd) and Andrew Torgashev (22 points, 6th & final spot). Torgashev won the 13+9 tiebreaker with the highest total score (418.27) over the other 3 men.

Tomoki Hiwatashi won his 2nd JGP bronze medal of the season; Torgashev was 2nd in the FS & 4th overall in Italy.

pairskatingfan

Great that we have three men in the final and one as a close substitute. It seems our former junior champions are all doing well... Alex K (2017 Champ) is the top qualifier, Tomoki (2016 champ) is a top alternate while 2015 champ Andrew T. is also in the final. 2014 & 2012 champ Nathan is obviously doing great things, as is 2013 champ Vincent Zhou, 2011 champ Max Aaron and 2010 champ Jason Brown. Ross, 2009 champ is having a great season for him so far, and 2008 champ Adam is also one of the top dogs for the Olympic team. It seems we have to go all the way back to 2007 (Halverson) to find a men's junior champion who didn't see much success after his win. With that being said, I think Camden P, who also made the final, is a clear favorite for the junior men's title nationally this season. Perhaps he will also go on to do great things, like the junior champions before him. Are there any junior men competing domestically this year that have a good chance at stealing his crown? What about up-and-comers for next season? IE, who should we be looking at as part of the next crop?

Sylvia

TBD
Great that we have three men in the final and one as a close substitute. ... Tomoki (2016 champ) is a top alternate
Hiwatashi won 2 JGP bronzes but he technically is the "4th alternate" (the ISU only lists the 1st-3rd alternates for the Final).

The Novice men's field this season is looking very deep and competitive! 2017 U.S. Intermediate men's champ Ilia Malinin, the son of Tatiana Malinina and Roman Skorniakov, landed 5 different triples cleanly through Lutz in his FS today at South Atlantic Regionals but finished 2nd overall (due to a rough SP) to Lucas Altieri, who also has the same repertoire of triples. This year's Novice men's field also features 2 who received a JGP assignment apiece -- Goku Endo and Nicholas Hsieh. Jonathan Yang won the Novice event at Upper Great Lakes last week with an impressive score (167.42). I'm looking forward to watching the Regionals videos when they become available on IN. :)

ETA:
...whoever taught this guy how to skate needs to teach all of them!
Andrew's parents have been his coaches from the beginning. His father, Artem Torgashev, trained in the Moscow pairs school that produced Gordeeva & Grinkov, and his mother, Ilona Melnichenko, was an ice dancer. Both won Junior World medals with their respective partners for the Soviet Union.

Last edited:

RoseRed

=With that being said, I think Camden P, who also made the final, is a clear favorite for the junior men's title nationally this season. Perhaps he will also go on to do great things, like the junior champions before him. Are there any junior men competing domestically this year that have a good chance at stealing his crown?]

I think I read on GS that Andrew T, Tomoki, Camden and Alexei are all competing senior domestically, but I don't know if that's right.

olympic

I assume Torgashev and Hiwatashi will compete again as Seniors at US Nationals. Will Krasnozhon join them this year? What about Pulkinen??

Sylvia

TBD
I assume Torgashev and Hiwatashi will compete again as Seniors at US Nationals. Will Krasnozhon join them this year?
Yes, Krasnozhon passed his Senior FS test in the summer: https://www.instagram.com/p/BWDQGViBKUh/
May 2017 article: http://figureskatersonline.com/news...hon-to-make-senior-debut-in-2017-2018-season/
What about Pulkinen??
AFAIK, Camden is staying Junior in the US. He competed in the senior international in Philadelphia in early August but that's because he was old enough (turned 17 back in March). He got both the 4CC minimum scores in Philly, BTW.

Last edited:

SkateFanBerlin

Andrew's parents have been his coaches from the beginning. His father, Artem Torgashev, trained in the Moscow pairs school that produced Gordeeva & Grinkov, and his mother, Ilona Melnichenko, was an ice dancer. Both won Junior World medals with their respective partners for the Soviet Union.
I nominate Sylvia to be the next Dick Button. She knows everything!

olympic

Here’s wishing Nathan Chen and Grant Hochstein GREAT success at Rostelecom Cup!

I hope both Nathan and Grant go into the competition with a mindset just to improve on previous competitions. Yuzu is in the competition, so I would think that Nathan winning is too tall an order, but I'd like to see more solid performances from Nathan, just up the ante a bit from JO. Grant needs to show stronger programs if he wants to be part of the discussion for an olympic team.

Dobre

Yuzu is in the competition, so I would think that Nathan winning is too tall an order.

Hanyu is the favorite, but he hasn't won his first GP of the season . . . maybe ever? Maybe at sometime in the past when the schedule was different than the norm? Definitely not in the last four years. We'll have to watch the competition and see how it unfolds. Both men, and Kolyada as well, look to have work to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information