Hockey players taking lessons with figure skating coaches

Z

ZilphaK

This is getting to be quite the "thing" at our rink.

We have kids in hockey gear on freestyle learning edges, crossovers, etc. from the figure skating coaches.

Just wondering whether other people see this at their rinks.

SherryL

This is extremely common at 2 of the 4 rinks that my girls skate, and I've seen this since my kids started skating 9 years ago. There are several hockey skating coaches (both men & women) who were trained in figure skating, and coach hockey skating to hockey players (some coach hockey players exclusively now). These coaches teach group "skating skill" lessons at hockey clubs team practices as well as private/semi-private skating lessons (no puck or sticks) to hockey players of all levels and all ages (mostly youth). The private/semi-private lessons have been done on freestyle ice and uncrowded public sessions. One rink allows skaters in private lessons to wear full hockey gear, but the other rink only allows helmet, gloves, & skates on freestyle ice.

Of the 3 hockey skating coaches that my son had, two were women who were former competitive figure skaters, and one was a man who only did hockey. There are a lot of similarity between the hockey skating lessons and figure skating power & edge lessons, but there are also differences. My son’s hockey skating coaches do focus their skating lessons on what a player could encounter in hockey game situations. In private skating lessons that my son had, the coaches had taught not just power skating, but control, quick starts, deep turns, and strength.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
FWIW Victor Kraatz (world champion and Olympic competitor in ice dance) only teaches hockey players now.

WildRose

Barb Underhill was the power skating coach for one of the US NHL teams, David Pelletier works with the Edmonton Oilers. It’s pretty common for figure skaters to coach these skills. In Canada, Skate Canada has a power skating program and many figure skating clubs teach power skating lessons as well as learn to skate programs and figure skating.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Yup. Because they need to learn how to SKATE properly.

Also stops them from mocking us as much.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
This has been around for quite some time. Back when I trained in NYC during the late 1980s/early 1990s, we had several prominent NHL players take skating lessons from our coaches.

DannyCurry

Although I've skated in several different rinks in France, I've never seen hockey players taking lessons from FS coaches.
OT but what I can tell you is that whether they are kids or adults, their gear smells so bad. Every time I have a class before or after them and I have to pass by them, I'm like "Don't they ever wash their gear or what ?!!!" :scream:

treesprite

Although I've skated in several different rinks in France, I've never seen hockey players taking lessons from FS coaches.
OT but what I can tell you is that whether they are kids or adults, their gear smells so bad. Every time I have a class before or after them and I have to pass by them, I'm like "Don't they ever wash their gear or what ?!!!" :scream:
Try cleaning locker rooms after them!

Z

ZilphaK

Try cleaning locker rooms after them!

Try living with one! ;)

Thanks all! I was curious what it was like in other rinks. My son is a figure skater and a hockey player, but it's only been recently we've seen more hockey players taking lessons with figure skating coaches at our rink. There can be (or has been), unfortunately, a ridiculous "stigma" with taking lessons from figure skating coaches. Just wondering whether and to what extent that's changing.

I know Michael Weiss has at least one son who plays hockey and I think he only teaches skating to hockey kids, as well.

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
I can tell you is that whether they are kids or adults, their gear smells so bad. Every time I have a class before or after them and I have to pass by them, I'm like "Don't they ever wash their gear or what ?!!!" :scream:

They often leave it in their bag, wet. That’s why it stinks so bad. When DS was playing, he dried his gear after every practitice and game - we had a place by our wood stove to hang and lay out stuff - and we would periodically wash everything except the helmet in the washing machine. The helmet we’d wipe down regularly. Made things much, much better.

But yeah. Some of them are unbelievably bad smelling.

S

SmallFairy

I used to play hockey, (girls team) and our equipment smelled a little, so did our jerseys, but not much, it was ok...until we had to borrow jerseys from our men's team, as we played an opponent with similar jerseys to ours. OMG!!!:scream::scream::scream: The smell of those male jerseys waere beyond description, I have no idea how we survived. They were probably never washed :lol::yikes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information