Any Experiences With Hybrid Vehicles That You Can Share?

PeterG

I'm getting close to buying a mid size SUV and I'm wondering if I should get a hybrid version or not. It's not the type that you plug in and charge, so that won't be a concern for me. If you have owned a vehicle like this, or know someone who does, I'd like to know what your thoughts are about this type of vehicles. The pros and cons of a hybrid as well as any other things you can think of that would be helpful to a potential buyer. Much thanks! :D

ballettmaus

My parents have a Ford C-Max and love it. They live in the greater DC area, so loads of traffic, so it often runs on its battery. (It's also one that recharges while driving). Last year, we even drove from VA to near Naples, FL and only stopped for gas once, if memory serves. It's extremely fuel efficient.
The only downside that I've heard my parents mention is a smaller trunk due to the battery. Other than that, they're already planning on making their next car a hybrid, too.

I've also driven it, while my parents were away and I was house-sitting and while I wasn't driving long-distances (usually just to the grocery store and back), I drove it for two weeks without needing to fill up for gas.

antmanb

Nothing of any use at all, but when the hybrids are running on the battery they make almost no noise at all. I've nearly been run over a few times in supermarket parking lots because I didn't hear a car right behind me :lol:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I have an electric car and love it. But I'm thinking about a hybrid for the next "new" car. I don't think having two electric cars is going to work. How reliable are they especially the used ones?

skatefan

Home in England
My son had a hybrid Lexus - he hated it, it had a big engine and found it very expensive to run even though he tried every trick he could to use battery power as often as possible. I don't know which model in particular he had, so can't say whether they are all as inefficient as his. He was already used to driving a hybrid and was hugely disappointed with his most recent one. He got rid of it a few months back.

PeterG

Thanks for your responses. Now I'm wondering an additional thing:

Is a front wheel drive sufficient...or is an all wheel drive vehicle the only type one should consider buying? I'M CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
^^^I think it depends on where you're driving it. The car I have right now is the first 4WD I've owned, and I live in an area that gets lots of snow, and go skiing up in an area that gets even more snow. Front-wheel drive has generally served me well when I've added snow tires to the mix; but I did fine last year with 4WD and regular tires. So it depends on your general driving conditions.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Spousal unit and I each have a Prius (me 2010; him 2011) and we are happy campers.

Plus: mileage. Mileage. Did I mention mileage? When I was commuting 120 miles a day on the highway (why early retirement beckoned :D) I would get 55 MPG.

Quiet, as has been mentioned. It is all computerized, which seven years ago, I was way impressed by. Touch button ignition, etc. All cars may have that now for all I know.

That hatchback packs an amazing amount of stuff:)

Minus: synthetic oil. $120 for an oil change.

The front rides *really* low. Even high driveway entrances will scrape it.

we do have a higher end, but not the highest end, model.

TBH, I have no idea what "drive" we have. We live in NE Penna and get snow, I would not drive it in more than four to five inches, but then again, I don't drive in more than five inches of snow period. Been there, done that, got the Tshirt.:p

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
They are ok if you are only planning to use the vehicle for local travel around town. However, if you do a lot of long distance and motorway travel, don't bother. The electrical contribution will be negligeable, and you will be running the car mostly on the petrol. If your use is somewhere in between, then you will get good fuel efficiency, but not as good as diesel.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
My daughter had one. A real plus was that she could park for free in Santa Monica and Venice (where she lived).
The quiet part is a bit of a problem when I drove it. Kept fooling me.

She did not get a second one when it was time to get a new car...............must not have been all that great..

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
They are ok if you are only planning to use the vehicle for local travel around town. However, if you do a lot of long distance and motorway travel, don't bother. The electrical contribution will be negligeable, and you will be running the car mostly on the petrol. If your use is somewhere in between, then you will get good fuel efficiency, but not as good as diesel.

I think there must be a real difference in cars in the US and elsewhere, because in the US, as I pointed out earlier, our Prius' gas mileage on highway driving has been amazing. And I can't remember the last diesel *car* I've seen in the US (do they even sell them, IDK)

For great gas mileage in the US of A, a Prius is the way to go. And we liked "my" car enough that when spousal unit needed a new car, we made ourselves a two Prius household

Maofan7

Away (Workload)
I think there must be a real difference in cars in the US and elsewhere, because in the US, as I pointed out earlier, our Prius' gas mileage on highway driving has been amazing. And I can't remember the last diesel *car* I've seen in the US (do they even sell them, IDK)

For great gas mileage in the US of A, a Prius is the way to go. And we liked "my" car enough that when spousal unit needed a new car, we made ourselves a two Prius household

This sums up the comparison between diesels and hybrids

One factor against hybrids is the cost of replacing the battery. Very expensive!

There has been a lot of bad publicity about diesel emissions. However, new ones do obviously comply with the latest emission standards, and they are a lot cleaner than the older ones that have been criticised.

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses. Now I'm wondering an additional thing:

Is a front wheel drive sufficient...or is an all wheel drive vehicle the only type one should consider buying? I'M CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

I live in Northern BC and do quite a bit of winter driving. I opted for a front wheel drive SUV when I replaced my vehicle last year. Personally, I find good winter tires makes more of a difference than AWD for traction. The difference in fuel economy made the FWD much more appealing. I haven't wished I had AWD. I did just fine in some pretty treacherous winter driving in a little Hyundai Accent with good winter tires too. It just sucked in deep snow.

As far as the hybrid goes, I haven't owned one but my cousin did and there was a low hum to it that gave me migraines. I have no idea if that's a thing or if that's just hers though.

sk8pics

I have a Camry Hybrid, my second, and I love it. I do mostly city stop-go driving, and my mileage is up to 50% better than it would be without the hybrid. I remember when I was first shopping for a hybrid, I learned that different companies' hybrid engines work differently. And so Toyota engines, which shut off when you stop and run off the battery at low speeds, give you bigger improvements with city driving. I don't remember how the Honda engines worked, but I recall they gave more improvement on highway driving. So you have to factor that into your thinking.

It's true the hybrid battery costs a lot to replace, but you may go a very long time before you ever need to replace it. I think mine is guaranteed through 100,000 miles, but it doesn't mean it needs to be replaced at that point.

For me it's a matter of thinking globally but acting locally. Hybrids will put fewer pollutants into the air in the areas you drive. But there is the mining of the metals for the battery, and shipping those around the world.

Anyway, my Camry Hybrid drives just like a regular Camry and is comfortable. I have driven a Prius and don't like it as much, though of course the mileage is better. But today I did 42 mpg on the way home from work. Not bad!

Meredith

what a glorious day!
I leased a Ford hybrid this summer to replace the 5 speed Civic I couldn't drive with 2 broken wrists! I was surprised how much I enjoyed driving a Ford, but it was quiet, sure-footed, and got excellent mileage. It was a front wheel drive as is my beloved Civic.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
A friend had a Ford Escape hybrid and loved it. The AC does 'dim' a bit when the car isn't moving. In very humid climates this is noticeable. But this was years ago.

I recently bought a used 2013 Prius V. It has many wonderful qualities, but wow...it is not a smooth ride for anyone aside from the driver. Maybe mine has issues...it was a few thousand below market value from a Subaru Dealer who also sells used cars.

Personally, I'm happy to have a hybrid because I feel less vulnerable to volatile gas prices. But the mileage in the newer Honda's is comparable to my 2013 Prius, so that's something to think about, too.

skatefan

Home in England
You guys are more helpful than google. :D

:40beers:

More info from my son - he says that basically, the Lexus (rear wheel drive) was too big and heavy to deal with the driving he does - mainly motorway and he really struggled to get anything like a decent mpg. My previous 10 year old petrol Honda Jazz was more efficient! He said it was fine 'around town'. His opinion is exactly the same as @Maofan7 - around town, great, otherwise don't bother (or get a full electric car). 4-wheel drive will be less efficient. Small engine, lightweight car and electric!

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

I have Diesel:40beers:
It is great. It has something called Blutec
So it doesn't sound like a diesel. Mileage is fantastic and the fuel is up to 20 cents a gallon cheaper than regular.

Tavi

I was told by a friend that at least some repairs on hybrids are a lot more expensive than comparable repairs on non-hybrid vehicles (i.e., he was advising me not to buy a used one), but I don't know that from experience and was interested to know if that's true. Perhaps an owner can comment?

nlloyd

Congratulations on your purchase, @PeterG! Buying a car can be stressful; I'm glad you've come to a decision and are happy with it. Toyotas are usually a good make, and I like the look of it. My spouse is considering purchasing an electric car, and I'm going to start a separate thread for that as I know very little about them.

antmanb

Congratulations on the purchase! Funnily enough, one of my close friends called me over the weekend to say that she replaced her Toyota Rav 4 with a new hybrid one and had nothing but good things to say.

She says she's having a lot of fun trying out all of the toys it has on it - I think it has an adaptive cruise control that uses sensors to track the vehicles in front and behind and changes the speed to make sure you don't get too close to the car in front.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Congratulations! I soooooo want to get a hybrid, or even fully electric (the latter would require that we draw, in my mind, from clean electricity, which is NOT the case currently in IN--we recently signed up to get half of our electric bill from renewable sources, though).

madm

I am also considering buying a RAV4 Hybrid Limited. I helped my niece buy a used 2014 RAV4 XLE AWD this weekend and it drives great. Here in Colorado you are required to have AWD/4WD, mud & snow tires, or chains to drive on federal and state highways in the mountains in winter. And you have to have at least 1/8" of tread on your tires. The state patrol conducts roadside checks sometimes, and you get fined bigtime if you are in an accident or block the road due to non-compliance. I would always get the AWD model, unless you live in a perpetually sunny state.

Skate Talker

Congrats Peter.
I didn't see this thread before today and found it very interesting. I just picked up my new Rav4 today too, but I did not get the hybrid version. By the photos I'm guessing you went for the LE without the sun/moon roof, as did I. Somehow the idea of having the sun beating in on me while driving is just not appealing.
Anyway, after reading this thread I am now wondering if I should have considered a hybrid too but I was in sticker shock even without the additional cost of a hybrid. I was also under a lot of time pressure and I felt my knowledge about hybrids was just too little to add it into the mix. Should have thought of turning to FSU - you are indeed a wise man.

PeterG

Congrats Peter.
I didn't see this thread before today and found it very interesting. I just picked up my new Rav4 today too, but I did not get the hybrid version. By the photos I'm guessing you went for the LE without the sun/moon roof, as did I. Somehow the idea of having the sun beating in on me while driving is just not appealing.
Anyway, after reading this thread I am now wondering if I should have considered a hybrid too but I was in sticker shock even without the additional cost of a hybrid. I was also under a lot of time pressure and I felt my knowledge about hybrids was just too little to add it into the mix. Should have thought of turning to FSU - you are indeed a wise man.

FSU helped with choosing a hybrid. I could have bought a Nissan fuel-only vehicle for QUITE a bit less money. But I had heard from a few family members with hybrid or electric cars that helped nudge me in the hybrid direction. Plus I've watched two documentaries recently about the environment, so that weighed a bit heavy on which nudged me towards a more earth-friendly choice. But some of the gas-only vehicles had features which economized gas use, I'm hoping that meant they would have less harmful impact on the environment. I guess we're both at the manual-reading stage to see all that our vehicles can do. Fun! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information