Shibutanis thread 3: Evolution

chapis

I do not know how many teams Marina has, but I suppose Allison Reed and her partner train there too, her movements reminded me of Maia, plus the dress and hair , I've liked very much the M/R and Allison/Saulius programs and, hopefully, that means we'll see a good program of Maia and Alex.

R/A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VbpxYBv-Vw

Barbara Manatee

I wonder if all Team USA has this sponsorship since they are dressing the American athletes for the Olympics.
Ralph Lauren usually chooses 10-12 athletes to highlight - they go on the morning shows to model the uniforms, are used in video/print ads, and invited to signings and appearances at their stores. I don't know if it's part of the package RL has with Team USA or if those athletes get extra funding, but they definitely get special promo, so yay, Shibs. I hope they like to wear polo shirts.

VGThuy

Ralph Lauren usually chooses 10-12 athletes to highlight - they go on the morning shows to model the uniforms, are used in video/print ads, and invited to signings and appearances at their stores. I don't know if it's part of the package RL has with Team USA or if those athletes get extra funding, but they definitely get special promo, so yay, Shibs. I hope they like to wear polo shirts.

Awesome! Thanks for the information, as I was confused about that.

wow, her hair looks so fabulous in that picture!!. I don´t love the look of Alex, he looks soooo young in that picture.

I think it's cute.

SCeline

I wonder if all Team USA has this sponsorship since they are dressing the American athletes for the Olympics.

There were ~8 athletes named for Sochi 2014. They were in media campaigns including modeling Opening ceremonies outfits on the Today show.

I work in SM and from a knowledgeable friend in sports marketing: "every official Olympic sponsor of the US team, also goes through an extensive process of picking specific sponsor athletes, and there is most certainly money involved. Even the ambassador program with Korean students that the Shibs were named for involved a competitive screening and selection process as well."

It's funny because I was suspecting that Maia and Alex had this sponsorship. If you go back through their social posts you can see hints. They were "dressed" by Ralph Lauren at various events in LA and NY going back to early 2017.

Hints in the hat logos?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTKhjWFAuMK/?hl=en&taken-by=maiashibutani
https://www.instagram.com/p/BUdhugzDiBB/?hl=en&taken-by=alexshibutani

VGThuy

Maia wears the same dress different color every time

Only for the past three seasons though some think her skirts have always been on the longer side. Assuming these are their FD costumes, then they fit the trilogy theme from Fix You to Evolution to Paradise. Alex is also wearing variations of the same costume.

lauravvv

Oh, thank you VIETgrITerifa and chapis. Maia's dress is so beautiful! The wonderful red shade and all that detail - slightly more modern than last season's dress. And Alex's shirt is beautiful too.

Last edited:

SCeline

I think their costumes are always beautifully designed and exquisitely tailored. They express that they have a clear sense of who they are and what they want to say, on and off the ice.

What an honor for them to present on the panel, representing athletes for the LA2028 Olympic leadership at the media summit. Today at 9am MT:
http://www.teamusa.org/Media/Games/PyeongChang-2018/Media-Summit/Video

VGThuy

VGThuy

I don't get why the Shibs aren't doing a Senior B this season. The feedback would be valuable before the GP season starts at the very least.

This has me a bit worried too, but then I would worry any way.

ETA:
I've actually liked a lot of what I've seen coming out of Canton so far. Let's hope Marina and Co. plus all the people they've worked with have created something amazing for both of their dances.

Last edited:

arakwafan2006

I don't get why the Shibs aren't doing a Senior B this season. The feedback would be valuable before the GP season starts at the very least.

What on earth makes you think they aren’t getting feedback? The teams doing the Sr. B’s are getting mileage on their material and are closing the gap between what they can do in practice vs competition. Marina has judges in all the time. Plus teams that do Sr. B’s sometimes look worn out towards the end of the season. It just got popular tfor the world medalists to do Sr. B's a few years ago. This doesn’t worry me. Maia and Alex are the most deliberate competitors out there. I wish they were US pair champions sometimes...

Last edited:

VGThuy

I'm not worried. Shibs have been in this game forever so they know what they're doing.

I think I'm just worried because it seems the fandom all want Hubbell/Donohue to win Nationals and be U.S. 1 and it seems like they have the momentum and the judges may agree with that. The Shibs being away and taking the longest to come out with their programs (with Chock/Bates) seems to be just adding to that narrative. However, I think the Shibs are capable of some amazing skating and I should remind myself there's a reason why the Shibs were able to fight their way to that national title and back to the world podium two seasons ago and why they've enjoyed the medal streak that they have since 2016 4CC. The scores from the teams not V/M have been impressive so far, but it's nothing the Shibs haven't beaten all of last year.

ETA:

The Shibs with Cookie Monster:

https://twitter.com/AlexShibutani/status/913932351964672000

Last edited:

Spiralgraph

Now now VietgrlTerifa, not all of fandom wants H/D to win USA nationals. Some fans get carried away the first time they see a new program and then gushing follows.

Momentum is a strange thing, and actual competing against the best teams is what counts in the end. The Shibs are experienced professional and to me fabulous. They'll be very ready for their first competition.

Last edited:

chapis

Now now VietgrlTerifa, not all of fandom wants H/B to win USA nationals. Some fans get carried away the first time they see a new program and then gushing follows.

Momentum is a strange thing, and actual competing against the best teams is what counts in the end. The Shibs are experienced professional and to me fabulous. They'll be very ready for their first competition.

do you mean H/D? Hubbell and Donohue. H/B are Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER in my mind :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information