Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir : Just For Us # 45

Golden1

I don't get the DWTS comparison. Maybe it's because I'm not American and have never seen the US version of the show but to me their SD looks exactly like the ballroom championships for Latin dance I regularly see on TV. Isn't that what ice dance is about? IMO they perfectly transferred ballroom dance on the ice.

Rafter

I think their plan was to go completely over-the-top, in your face, almost a parody....which is exactly what Latin ballroom dancing is. It's brilliant.

Tessa is nailing the ballroom Latin moves.

For sure we have never seen this level of busyness from them and have certainly never seen this type of OTT costuming. It's their strategy, to make them look different from the Zueva V&M years and also to look different from what they're putting out in the FD.

angi

I don't get the DWTS comparison. Maybe it's because I'm not American and have never seen the US version of the show but to me their SD looks exactly like the ballroom championships for Latin dance I regularly see on TV. Isn't that what ice dance is about? IMO they perfectly transferred ballroom dance on the ice.
I completely agree, if you watch videos of off-ice latin ballroom performances you can see many similarities in the style and movement. The choreography is not OTT it's just more ballroom than we expected but they execute it to perfection on-ice and that is just incredible. Tessa's costume might be a bit OTT but I honestly think it was their purpose - Tessa Virtue is queen of good taste both off and on the ice, she does nothing unintentional.

IoanaC

Zazy

IMO they perfectly transferred ballroom dance on the ice.

I think the issue is that a lot of people (myself included) are not big fans of the OTT nature of ballroom latin.

But in terms of translating floor dancing to the ice they are in a completely different league than any other team. They are the only ones doing latin on ice, others are skating to latin music with a few little flourishes here and there. That's what is making this year's SD so frustrating to me: I know it's a hard rhythm to translate to the ice but most teams, like W/P, are barely giving lip service to the style they're supposed to be performing.

sap5

Really? Are you kidding me? You think VM purposely created a program so people can laugh at it. Ok.

No, that's not what I said.

I think their plan was to go completely over-the-top, in your face, almost a parody....which is exactly what Latin ballroom dancing is. It's brilliant.

This is what I meant.

And I also know that not all Latin ballroom is over the top. But there's definitely that category and I think it's fun to try if you've done other types of ballroom over 20 years.

Last edited:

Alexandria

I completely agree, if you watch videos of off-ice latin ballroom performances you can see many similarities in the style and movement. The choreography is not OTT it's just more ballroom than we expected but they execute it to perfection on-ice and that is just incredible. Tessa's costume might be a bit OTT but I honestly think it was their purpose - Tessa Virtue is queen of good taste both off and on the ice, she does nothing unintentional.

Yeah, I get that a some fans wanted something different and that's fine. There's also fans of other teams are just super hopeful that V/M fail so their faves can shine. But this isn't tacky nor is it OTT in a bad way, outside of what certain personal tastes may be. I know we're used to V/M being more understated, and frankly the costumes will probably change, but this doesn't hold a candle to what I've seen in ID. Most ice dancers are skaters first, but V/M can really really dance, especially Tessa, and I love that they're showing that. I think audiences will respond well to it and as long as they're technically strong, judges will too. I don't like to diss other skaters because everyone works really hard, but watching other short dances just puts into perspective how above the field they are, in my opinion.

skategal

Bunny mama
My thought from watching some of the other SDs is that it is easy to come across as generic when doing Latin and going at it harder with their SD is Tessa and Scott's attempt to not be generic.

I think it works. It's not generic and not easily forgotten in a sea full of Latin SDs.:navkos1: :respec:

double runner

Here's what I think happened: everyone heard the SD was going to be Latin and expected something hot and steamy. I don't know if people had expectations of them skating to slow, sensual music and if so, I can see why they are confused with their SD. As many people have mentioned, what they do on the ice with the "frantic" arm movements and "busy-ness" actually is closer to real ballroom.

martyross

come on guys, you focus on their appearance top much. its not a fashion contest. its a sport. we know these two are in the same league of the greatests like Torvill and Dean and co. can you imagine spending so much time commenting on he outfits of those legends?
RELAX AND LOOK AT THE DANCING :)

randomsplashes

Most of Scott's outfits in the past were very simple, which contrasts Tessa's outfits pretty well. But not for this SD. I think this SD outfit suits him perfectly, it really intensifies his personality on the ice which is needed for a program like this.

Last edited:

GreenGan

why they did not get level 4 in the pattern? I think it looked very well, they got mostly +3 goe.
I'd like to know too. Can't find an ISU video about the rhumba pattern like the one I found for the midnight blues or the Waltz.

Alexandria

why they did not get level 4 in the pattern? I think it looked very well, they got mostly +3 goe.

I know in the past it has been very difficult for any team to get level 4 in the Rhumba pattern. I'm not sure why because I'm not an expert on dance patterns, but the judges have always judged this one very harshly.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I remember last year people criticizing Scott for always wearing such simple costumes. The boy steps it up while still wearing a safe dull colour like grey and he just can't win. :lol:

I selfishly hope they don't listen to any opinions that want them to change. Those costumes are perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information