OES News 2017/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Last season, the Ukrainian pair team of Renata OGANESIAN / Mark BARDEI (now 16 and 21 years old), finished 10th at Golden Spin of Zagreb, which turned out to be the final international competition of their season and career. :( The highlights of their Junior career were JGP gold & bronze medals, 5th place at the JGP Final in December 2015 and 4th place at 2016 Junior Worlds.

From an April 2017 interview with the head coach of the Ukrainian Federation of Figure Skating's Marina Amirhanova published on the federation's website: http://www.ufsf.com.ua/novyny/22-no...zon-2016-2017-uroki-pidsumki-ta-visnovki.html
Not long ago, Ukraine had good prospects for paired skiing. It seems that this season they have cursed them?
- Yes, the current situation in paired skiing is bleak. Now we can already state: we do not have sports duo. Indeed, great hopes were associated - and not without reason - with the junior couple Renata Hovhannisyan / Mark Bardee, but later there were a number of problems that ultimately led to such a sad ending. Both partners confirmed that they decided not to ride anymore. I said, in particular, with Mark and he said that he did not want to stay in sports and has other life plans. Is not it, maybe rethinking, this happens, because the skater is talented, he has been given a lot ... It's a pity, but this is their choice.

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Ah no, this is sad. I kinda like them :(
They seemed very unpolished but with lots of potential.

Seerek

Apparently, Yaroslav Paniot and Anna Khnychenkova won the Nebelhorn skate off for Ukraine. Not sure if there are additional skate offs should either earn an Olympic berth.Good luck to both.

J

Jeschke

Does someone have estonian updates?
The Nebelhorn entries were kinda confusing with neither Naurits nor Hälvin on the roster, not even as substitutes.

Injured, retired, done by the fed?

IDC a.k.a. Ritti

Does someone have estonian updates?
The Nebelhorn entries were kinda confusing with neither Naurits nor Hälvin on the roster, not even as substitutes.

Injured, retired, done by the fed?

The Estonian test skate took place last week. Helery Hälvin had to withdraw due to an ankle injury, and she says "the Olympic train has gone" for her and that her career is most likely over. Albert Naurits withdrew as well.

The results from the test skate:

Ladies
1. Kristina Škuleta-Gromova 152,15
2. Annely Vähi 150,93
3. Gerli Liinamäe 136,75

Men
1. Aleksandr Selevko 176,20
2. Samuel Koppel 173,71
3. Daniil Zurav 146,55

Estonia is sending the top 3 skaters from this test skate to Lombardia Trophy to decide who to send to Nebelhorn.
http://sport.err.ee/614588/iluuisutajate-om-katsevoistlusel-voidutses-skuleta-gromova

J

Jeschke

The Estonian test skate took place last week. Helery Hälvin had to withdraw due to an ankle injury, and she says "the Olympic train has gone" for her and that her career is most likely over. Albert Naurits withdrew as well.

The results from the test skate:

Ladies
1. Kristina Škuleta-Gromova 152,15
2. Annely Vähi 150,93
3. Gerli Liinamäe 136,75

Men
1. Aleksandr Selevko 176,20
2. Samuel Koppel 173,71
3. Daniil Zurav 146,55

Estonia is sending the top 3 skaters from this test skate to Lombardia Trophy to decide who to send to Nebelhorn.
http://sport.err.ee/614588/iluuisutajate-om-katsevoistlusel-voidutses-skuleta-gromova
Thanks for the update! Such a shame for Hälvin :(

Are there details why Naurits withdrew? He can't be done too, he can't! :drama:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Thanks so much for the update, @IDC a.k.a. Ritti!

Thanks for the update! Such a shame for Hälvin :(

Are there details why Naurits withdrew? He can't be done too, he can't! :drama:

Poor Hälvin. :( I'm happy she was, at long last, able to skate at Worlds.

Regarding Naurits, I'm guessing he must be injured to some unknown extent? He posted an Instagram story earlier this week (shirtless of course) saying something like he couldn't train on ice, so he was going to the gym instead. Hopefully we seem him later this season!

Sylvia

TBD
At the Slovenia Open today:
Gold - Alexia PAGANINI SUI 162.27 3 1

Re-posting my comment from the competition thread in Kiss & Cry...
Paganini's timing in switching to Switzerland this season is looking amazingly prescient so far! She also got her minimum scores for Worlds in her first senior international competition.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
I'm surprised USFS released Paganini so easily, but I'm glad to see that she is making the most of the opportunity to skate for SUI. I like her jumps (when they're on) and I think she has a lot of room to still improve as a skater. Definitely top 10 Euro potential.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks to @SlavicaK for finding/posting the link to this article (in German) that's on the Swiss federation website about the Nebelhorn Trophy/Olympic qualification preparations of Stephane Walker and Alexia Paganini (currently coached by Igor Krokavec and Craig Maurizi in Hackensack, NJ): http://swissiceskating.ch/de/kunstl...piaqualifikation-an-der-nebelhorn-trophy-2017
Google translated excerpts re. Walker:
The preparations for this special season and the early date of the Olympic qualification left him little time for recovery. "I've been fully trained for the whole summer and worked hard without a major break," the 26-year-old explains. "Fortunately, health has played well. I have been training in Bergamo from April to July, then 2 weeks in Asiago and a week in Brig. But I have not changed much compared to last summer. I just did not take a break, no holidays."
"I've worked a lot on my own person. I have recognized my weaknesses, and have initiated all that is possible, to exceed myself, to cross my limits, and to put aside my inhibitions. Now I feel very well in my skin, strong, self-assured and dare to take my place, show what I can and who I am." ... <snip> ...
"I am convinced that I have the potential and level to qualify and participate in Olympic games for the first time," says Stéphane Walker. "It would be the earned reward for many years of hard work. I think I can almost beat myself, or it is only up to me whether I can get on with the nervousness, release myself and unfold and express myself freely."
It sounds like Walker had a new SP choreographed to a cover version of "Back to Black" (from The Great Gatsby soundtrack) but plans to go back to his "Purple Rain" SP for the first part of the season? He won the bronze at Slovenia Open last week but with a not-so-good total score (171.82). I like his skating and hope he can qualify for his first Olympics. :)

Last edited:

Seerek

If only spins were awarded more relative to jumps, Stephane Walker would have a better chance at Nebelhorn (always level 4, usually highest GOEs of all the men). That being said, he was the third highest placed at Lombardia Trophy out of those (7) that will be at Nebelhorn.

Meanwhile, Yaroslav Paniot is believed to be the first European man to land a positive GOE quadruple flip at U.S. Classic over the weekend. Congrats, and good luck at Nebelhorn as well.

Sylvia

TBD
:cheer: Irish male skaters! :cheer2:

Conor Stakelum attained the FS minimum technical score he needed at Nebelhorn Trophy today and now is eligible to compete at Europeans, while Samuel McAllister got the FS minimum TES he needed for Junior Worlds at the JGP in Riga earlier this month.

According to @allezfred, it will the first time in 6 years there will be an Irish skater at Europeans and the first time in 8 years since Ireland was represented at Junior Worlds.

J

Jeschke

So, I guess, they hoped for better PCS.
If so, would be kinda lamenting :huh:

Euros PCS SP, FS:
2015: 21, 44
2016: 24, 47
2017: 25, 52

Worlds PCS SP, FS:
2015: 22, missed FS
2016: 21, missed FS
2017: 27, missed FS

In comparison:
Rostelecom 2017 PCS SP,FS: 28, 58

Stephanie

^ or if any Fed decides not to send their skater for whatever reason. Switzerland and Sweden have tough internal standards, for instance

J

Jeschke

So what‘s going on with Duskova/Bidar?
Why did they withdraw? I missed the reason.

Sylvia

TBD
So what‘s going on with Duskova/Bidar?
Why did they withdraw? I missed the reason.
Anna has to undergo knee ligament surgery :( and they will skip Europeans and hope to be ready for the Olympics: http://www.czechskating.org/clanek/738/grand-prix-2017

Google translation: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=cs&tl=en&u=http://www.czechskating.org/clanek/738/grand-prix-2017

Update 1.11.2017:

Anna Dušková and Martin Bidař have to postpone their premiere in Grand Prix competitions for the next season. Anna wounded in warm-up before training and unfortunately the injury was more serious than just a rash. Anna Dušková will have to undergo a broken knee ligament surgery and we have to cancel our participation in Grand Prix competitions. There is no start to the January European Championship. But coach Horkl and the couple will try to co-operate with physicians and physiotherapists so they can introduce themselves at the Winter Olympics in Pjongchang (Korea).

We would also like to thank the Czech Olympic Committee thanks to the Health Insurance Program of the Czech Republic for a quick solution to the situation and, thanks to a series of examinations and an early term of the operation, it is possible to prevent an even greater training and competitive breakdown of the couple.

We hold our hands for surgery and subsequent rehabilitation to take place without any problems, and Anna and Martin can fulfill their Olympic dream!

ETA Anna's FB message mentions "surgery on Monday": https://www.facebook.com/duskovabid...11081362684/487196338317489/?type=3&source=54

Last edited:

poths

Anyone know the whereabouts of the following OES legends. (P.S. I'd appreciate if the spelling police don't lambaste me for these attempts :lol: )

Reitmeyorovas (brother and sister), she was 6th at Europeans about 8 years ago?
Toth - Why is she not coached by Sebesteyen this year?
Is Glebova done? What about Natalia Popova & Nathalie Weinzierl?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information