Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir : Just For Us # 45

princeton123

Tessa can wear a burlap sack and she would look amazing. That said, I'm not sure how to feel about the costumes. I want to believe they won't be wearing this come February, especially since Tessa was wearing something different for their SD at last year's ACI. Those costumes scream "expensive" and definitely not something that was pulled off the rack but I miss the simple, elegant look.

I think both of them wearing such busy costumes is excessive. One of them needs to be in something plainer and more basic or it looks too cluttered, IMO.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Less is more. And that SD isn't less. They're overplaying it and it's making it tacky. I really don't like this SD but hey, I don't like any of those I've seen.
I must say I prefered W&P cuban theme and they were classy :(

princeton123

Lol W/P's SD mmmmk...:shuffle:

Anyway, I will never cease to be amazed how well Tessa can dance. Her upper body is so limber and fluid and she makes everything look so effortless and natural with two blades strapped to her feet. She can hit a note of music better than literally anyone else in skating. It looks so easy when she does it and then you look at every other white girl on the ice trying to shake their hips and it's like...right, this shit is hard.

Shayii

I keep going back and forth on the costumes. I loved them in the practice stream, but I didn't see the full details. Then when I saw the pics I wasn't feeling it, but now I like them again. BTW I didn't notice at first that it's actually Tessa's skin we're seeing I thought it was illusion fabric.

Maddie Sparks

I love their SD costumes. I didn't like it last year when Tessa had the awesome purple catsuit and Scott had a basic black shirt and pants with minor beading.

Now, they both have something going. ;) I love Scott's shirt. The grey looks great on him, and all the intricate detail on the top half really draws the eye. Tessa's dress is gorgeous. The black leopard print is on point, and the smattering of gold just makes the whole outfit pop.

I wonder if we will get many outfit changes this year? It seems like Montreal's way is to basically stick to the same outfits the whole season through.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
I want Tessa to change at least twice please :)

IMO they have to rethink the last part of that SD. The first two pieces really go well together, but the end is making it look like another program.

edit : Yes I like the concept of W&P SD. It's a whole concept, not a collection of rythm. Not that they can skate as well as V&M. But it's more my taste as far as choreography is concerned, so far.

Last edited:

rustyskater

Less is more. And that SD isn't less. They're overplaying it and it's making it tacky. I really don't like this SD but hey, I don't like any of those I've seen.
This comment hit the nail right of the head. The program is ... tacky. Hard to believe all that effort is reduced to something tacky (and somewhat laughable). On the other hand, I've seen glimpses of true refinement and class in their Free. In the end, the judges will put them in first place anyway until the Olympics when I hope a real competition will unfold (still, they probably have a lock on gold already). Kinda takes away the fun in watching.

sap5

V/M deserve a better concept and better choreography. Are they really on board with this?

elisa_p

I'm on vacation and haven't been able to watch the streams of their SD and thought I'd catch up on comments and oh my. I'm very concerned after reading these comments...I didn't think I'd have to worry about the SD as traditionally they have always knocked them outta the park.

Vera Costa

I think both of them wearing such busy costumes is excessive. One of them needs to be in something plainer and more basic or it looks too cluttered, IMO.

I was thinking about this and I think it's the animal print combined with the bling. I feel like if Tessa keeps the gold embellishments, then the shear cover should be more solid. Or keep the print but reduce the gold near the neck. There's a lot going on in the upper body of both their outfits which are clashing together.

Mind you, we don't even know if these outfits will stick. Tessa only wore the outfit with the skirt for ACI last year. It's Tessa though, I don't think we'll see just one costume.

I love the program but it did feel a little frantic. I think that may just have been first performance issues though. They'll get feedback and work out the kinks. We'll probably see improvements at the next comp.

Goody2shoes

Tacky or not, I still think this SD is something I've never seen V/M done before. I mean, we've seen how their old rhumba programs before and they had similar feel to them. Now, they've completely gave us the unexpected rhumba style routine and it's ... WOW!

They are older and mature enough to pull this off! Definitely ballroom style Latin on ice. All the way! Hot, sexy and sharp at points, what's not to love!

I think if the colours to their costumes match, it'll work better. I'm liking Scott's departure from just simple black. Tessa's could tone down with big sequins on the neck area. That being said ... The outfits do fit the tone of what they're aiming for.

Music cuts ... my only complaint is that they had the first 2/3 fit well but the last hmmm ... Trying to give an example in my head what it is ... It's like listening to a piece with someone playing harpsichord then switch to a grand piano. Maybe bad way of explaining myself...meaning the first two fit. Together in terms of percussion/instrumental feel and Santana piece felt 'off'.

Does anyone know if it's known any skaters actually changing a music part during a season?

Last edited:

VarBar

I watch international dance competitions a couple of times a year just for my own pleasure and believe me Tessa's dress is tame compared to what I see at those events. And Scott's shirt is the kind of shirt men usually wear for latin dances, tight, sparkly and with a very low V slit.

Six-time and current latin dance professional world champions Yulia & Riccardo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9f9-R6eM2E

I have yet to find a comment on YouTube calling that couple tacky, kitch and OTT.

P.S. Scott's shirt was a nice surprise.:cool:

elisa_p

You can stop worrying. If some don't like the packaging, well, that's subjective I guess. But the dancing is phenomenal and no one can deny that.
Thank you! I'm not too worried about the costumes because typically they change them several times during the season. And they may add something to make the third piece of music fit better like they did with Latch.

DFJ

I guess I'm just missing something. Geez, tacky? That's a word I would never attribute to Scott and Tessa. The SD is amazing--better than Prince, at least to me. I love it, even the costumes. Tessa said in her interview that the moment they're off the ice they start to think of tweaks to the program so I imagine we'll see some changes. But the start of the season is looks promising.

elisa_p

Ok so finally managed to get some wifi and watched it. The dance itself I really enjoyed but wish they would add something to make the Santana piece fit in a little more but they skated that really well. I'm blown away at how good they look this early in the season! I honestly can't remember when they looked so sharp this early. As for the costumes...I love the cut of Tessa's dress but wish she'd do a sheer black and take out the leopard print. And tone down Scott's shirt a bit.

At the end of the day ballroom Latin is always a little over the top and I thought they did a amazing job bringing that to life on the ice.

Debrah

The more supposedly concerned posts re the SD, just tells me how worried a lot of FSU folks are. Reality is setting in that suddenly the chances of one's personal faves, of these posters, may never be able to stay close, or perhaps equal, exactly what brilliance the experienced and mature Scott and Tessa will be able to produce by Feb/March is the really the problem; so taking aim at their costuming or choreography of a few steps, or expression, for SD where traditionally V & M reign supreme and create and insurmountable lead, is likely the last resort of defense, nitpicking before their hopes and dreams completely evaporate.

I have faith that Team V/M will do the right things and perfect/tweak everything well before the games.

All that is necessary to understand at this point in the season is how serious and committed they are to being the very best versions of themselves they can possibly be and that they are working as hard as they can to go for Gold!!! Is it a done deal, of course not, they will have to skate clean just like they have in the past 2 games to be on the podium. But sometimes the 3rd time is indeed the charm. So its still a long way to go and this is just the 1st charge into battle.

Just saying if there was a consensus here on FSU which is largely euro and American - then you know it would be the end of days, LOL, LOL!

Besides it doesn't matter whether one likes a SD or not because it is performed for the judges mainly and fans second, it's all about the levels and execution. So the fact that most SD programs have been underwhelming to date to certain fans, myself included, means nothing, since it is HOW THEY ARE EXECUTED that will count when all is said and done. Yeah it would be nice if all, or at least the majority of folks fall in love with the material being skated from the get go, but that is a pretty impossible dream given the high stakes of the games and how invested in the outcome most of us are about supporting personal fav teams.

I love and really appreciate the talents of about 6 dance teams that are competing this season and am stealing myself knowing 5 of them won't win and likely 3 won't even make the podium. That's reality folks. All we can do is enjoy the journey and cheer everybody to do the best they can and to be proud of themselves at the end of the events.

To me for example V&M's silver last games is just as awesome as their gold was in 2010 given the coaching circumstances and Tessa's legs at the time. They skated really well and everything else was completely out of their control. That's all I really want for them this season, to be able to leave the ice with no regrets having done their absolute best. What happens, happens, but sometimes its about the body of work, the entire legacy and not just that 1 performance that will sway things one way or another. I am going to do my best to enjoy the ride and damn the torpedo's!!!

sap5

Yes, I think your concept will be so great for PC :)
Ready to read that WP MR choreo was much better, then VM :)))))))))

What concept are you talking about, pani?

ETA: oh, I get it. Never mind.

Last edited:

Goody2shoes

The more supposedly concerned posts re the SD, just tells me how worried a lot of FSU folks are. Reality is setting in that suddenly the chances of one's personal faves, of these posters, may never be able to stay close, or perhaps equal, exactly what brilliance the experienced and mature Scott and Tessa will be able to produce by Feb/March is the really the problem; so taking aim at their costuming or choreography of a few steps, or expression, for SD where traditionally V & M reign supreme and create and insurmountable lead, is likely the last resort of defense, nitpicking before their hopes and dreams completely evaporate.

I have faith that Team V/M will do the right things and perfect/tweak everything well before the games.

All that is necessary to understand at this point in the season is how serious and committed they are to being the very best versions of themselves they can possibly be and that they are working as hard as they can to go for Gold!!! Is it a done deal, of course not, they will have to skate clean just like they have in the past 2 games to be on the podium. But sometimes the 3rd time is indeed the charm. So its still a long way to go and this is just the 1st charge into battle.

Just saying if there was a consensus here on FSU which is largely euro and American - then you know it would be the end of days, LOL, LOL!

Besides it doesn't matter whether one likes a SD or not because it is performed for the judges mainly and fans second, it's all about the levels and execution. So the fact that most SD programs have been underwhelming to date to certain fans, myself included, means nothing, since it is HOW THEY ARE EXECUTED that will count when all is said and done. Yeah it would be nice if all, or at least the majority of folks fall in love with the material being skated from the get go, but that is a pretty impossible dream given the high stakes of the games and how invested in the outcome most of us are about supporting personal fav teams.

I love and really appreciate the talents of about 6 dance teams that are competing this season and am stealing myself knowing 5 of them won't win and likely 3 won't even make the podium. That's reality folks. All we can do is enjoy the journey and cheer everybody to do the best they can and to be proud of themselves at the end of the events.

To me for example V&M's silver last games is just as awesome as their gold was in 2010 given the coaching circumstances and Tessa's legs at the time. They skated really well and everything else was completely out of their control. That's all I really want for them this season, to be able to leave the ice with no regrets having done their absolute best. What happens, happens, but sometimes its about the body of work, the entire legacy and not just that 1 performance that will sway things one way or another. I am going to do my best to enjoy the ride and damn the torpedo's!!!

This too! :)

Thanks for pointing out that end of the day/comp is that V/M's execution and skating skills that gives them the edge over others.

As far as I'm concerned, the judges yesterday thought V/M delivered. And that's what mattered.

Debrah

More than any team now competing V&M know that they can NOT please everyone, so its more important that they please themselves, which is why they have stated publicly "it's all about US" this season. They do Ballroom brilliantly, so few of the new young contender's are fully capable of doing ballroom on ice in these very lyrical times...It takes many, many years to completely round out one's ice dancing skills.

sap5

On another thread someone mentioned that the concept might actually be "cheesy Latin ballroom", and if that is the concept, I must admit that it's really well-executed. It's not what I thought of when I heard the music choices, but it's pretty hilarious if that's what they're doing.

ETA: The more I think of it, the funnier it gets. If they're actually trying to do a DWTS program in all its mirror-ball cheesiness, then they nailed it 100%.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information