The Dance Hall, Part 4: To Helsinki & Back -- Seeking Rhumba Magic ...

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
You mean like F-B/S?

I´d have to watch them again. I find they have such a great chemistry that just oozes that I always pick up on a sexual vibe but I guess it a way. Although I was thinking more of sibling teams to come.

VGThuy

I´d have to watch them again. I find they have such a great chemistry that just oozes that I always pick up on a sexual vibe but I guess it a way. Although I was thinking more of sibling teams to come.

Like the Shibs. They're like only brother-sister team competing in the senior international level that hasn't shown their programs yet. How many sibling teams are competing internationally right now in seniors? I know them and the Parsons. The Greens are competing in the junior level. I don't think anyone wants to see a brother-sister do what Kaitlin and Andrew and Tessa and Scott were doing above. If some do, they haven't felt welcome by society to express those thoughts yet.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Like the Shibs. They're like only brother-sister team competing in the senior international level that hasn't shown their programs yet. How many sibling teams are competing internationally right now in seniors? I know them and the Parsons. The Greens are competing in the junior level. I don't think anyone wants to see a brother-sister do what Kaitlin and Andrew and Tessa and Scott were doing above. If some do, they haven't felt welcome by society to express those thoughts yet.

Haven't seen the Parsons yet so there were on the list. Aren't there more lower ranked sibling senior teams as well? Regardless, the main point being if you touch like the touching others will take a different path to suit tastes.

FWIW, since I know you are a huge Shibs fan, I don't have problems with sibling teams and don't get icky over any programs. I look at them as athletes first always. And that opinion extends to lifts, spirals etc... In fact it is a huge pet peeve of mine when people talk about crotch shots etc... because I think it should be viewed for the athletic feat it is. I would probably draw the line at actual copulation on ice, I do have some limits ;)

chapis

Shibs SD in 2012 was not 50´s inspired. The SD of the Parsons is really bad IMO.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
<<<<<<<
Shibs SD in 2012 was not 50´s inspired. The SD of the Parsons is really bad IMO.

I never said it was?? It was a recent discussion about rhumba here on FSU that the comment comes from when people were insisting the rhumba should be what they see on SYTYCD in all it's sexual glory when the reality is there are more directions to take and rhumba back then looked different.

VGThuy

I must be ice dance starved. I can't stop watching Gilles/Poirier and Virtue/Moir's SD. Piper and Paul are lucky to have each other. They're both quirky, one isn't pretending to be for the sake of the other or the team, they just are and get each other and we get to enjoy it.

nimi

I must be ice dance starved. I can't stop watching Gilles/Poirier and Virtue/Moir's SD. Piper and Paul are lucky to have each other. They're both quirky, one isn't pretending to be for the sake of the other or the team, they just are and get each other and we get to enjoy it.
They're just so fun to watch!! I just really, really, really like their programs season after season. Yeah they lost a couple of key points and their pattern was only level 2 yesterday etc. but whatever, they just look like they're genuinely enjoying each other and themselves when they're skating and that's enjoyable to me!

Also, A+ costumes once again! At the beginning I was a bit like "Yeah Paul does look good in solid simple black but since at least 90% of the men this season are dressed in simple black, I'm a tad disappointed... especially after the awesomeness of his Disco Reggie look last season..." but then there was the Laurine moment and did I mention I JUST LOVE THESE TWO!
:biggrinbo

V/M's SD was enjoyable too, just because they're just sooooo gooood at what they do. Not my favourite SD of theirs and not my favourite music cut (although I do think the first part with Stones is an inspired choice) but they could be skating to some crappy elevator music and I'd still be impressed when they move like that!
:watch:

Last edited:

Miloune

I agree, V/M are always a joy to watch however I must say I'm a bit confused by their (ugly) outfits vs. the music they chose. The music cuts are also not the best they could be imo..
Still they're so sharp!!

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I am having déjà vu with all the whining about the SDs. Last year it was whining the the hip hop theme was horrible and now it's all doom and gloom over Latin. And here I sit thinking how much fun and what great variety and options we are getting with this new ISU direction of opening up the options for skaters. Some of you need to pull those sticks out of your asses and open your eyes to all the fun programs are out there.

Or at least try to not whine incessantly ruining it for the rest of us who don't have such a limited narrow view of what makes us happy.

kittysk8ts

V/M have terrible music cuts. I'm disappointed. They were the one team I was really counting on to have a solid SD.
Sorry you're disappointed. :( Perhaps they will get some feedback on that. You may recall that last season H/D made some changes to their SD music cuts based on feedback and ended up 3rd after the SD at Worlds.

Last edited:

ninalovesskating

Bobrova/Soloviev "Part 2 of the saga on the visually impaired woman" FD heavily overscored at Ondrej Nepala. 110.84?! Shocker...LOL :rolleyes:

On the bright side, Popova/Mozgov beat the Parsons by about 5 points in the FD! Rightfully so...at least their Carmen didn't bore me :cheer:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I don't think marbri is trying to insult anyone. I think she/he is giving her/his own opinion which I can't agree more. Be open-minded!
Saying people have sticks up their butt and are narrow-minded is not very nice though and honestly a tad condescending. She/he could have simply said like you: be more open-minded and that would have been fine. But nope, antagonizing is way more fun but probably less effective in getting what you want out of those so-called grumpy people.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
And who cares? I'm always grumpy :EVILLE:

I hate those SDs with a passion. They don't get latin. None of them.
Oh true they do make me laugh because of how bad nearly all of them tragically are.
And BTW, I can't remember of ONE single OD or SD on latin I have ever liked. They've always been tacky for me.

At last, V&M used to be the class act. Their hip hip chin chin was the best latin SD ever attempted so I really did have high hopes, but I'm sorry, this SD of theirs at the moment is other the top, making the whole thing either tacky or plain funny. I'm not sure they want funny. They're trying way too hard. Less is more. That is for the artistic side of it.
BTW their pattern was great at HPC, not so much here. So there is still room for improvement there. And IMO the Santana piece has to go.
Maybe I was waiting for too much. We'll see when all teams will have done their SDs once.

W&P are not on the same technical level at all, yet their SD has a whole concept. IT's not mindblowing either, but it has more latin feel than all I've seen so far. People usually think latin equal ballroom latin, but cuban latin is a lot more fun to watch, less in your face.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Saying people have sticks up their butt and are narrow-minded is not very nice though and honestly a tad condescending. She/he could have simply said like you: be more open-minded and that would have been fine. But nope, antagonizing is way more fun but probably less effective in getting what you want out of those so-called grumpy people.

Lol. Do you need a hug? Sometimes I find bluntness more effective so chose it. if my rudeness causes at least one habitual whiner to make one less repetitive post I consider it a mission well done.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
And who cares? I'm always grumpy :EVILLE:

I hate those SDs with a passion. They don't get latin. None of them.
Oh true they do make me laugh because of how bad nearly all of them tragically are.
And BTW, I can't remember of ONE single OD or SD on latin I have ever liked. They've always been tacky for me.

At last, V&M used to be the class act. Their hip hip chin chin was the best latin SD ever attempted so I really did have high hopes, but I'm sorry, this SD of theirs at the moment is other the top, making the whole thing either tacky or plain funny. I'm not sure they want funny. They're trying way too hard. Less is more. That is for the artistic side of it.
BTW their pattern was great at HPC, not so much here. So there is still room for improvement there. And IMO the Santana piece has to go.
Maybe I was waiting for too much. We'll see when all teams will have done their SDs once.

W&P are not on the same technical level at all, yet their SD has a whole concept. IT's not mindblowing either, but it has more latin feel than all I've seen so far. People usually think latin equal ballroom latin, but cuban latin is a lot more fun to watch, less in your face.

The fact that you can't recall one Latin program you have ever liked yet feel the need to constantly comment on how dire and tragic and tacky everything you watched is is precisely the kind of thing that inspired my rudeness that has offended poor cocotaffy. I just do not understand why you think it's necessary to continuously post about it? Just makes no sense to me.

MarieM

Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover
Bobrova/Soloviev "Part 2 of the saga on the visually impaired woman" FD heavily overscored at Ondrej Nepala. 110.84?! Shocker...LOL :rolleyes:

On the bright side, Popova/Mozgov beat the Parsons by about 5 points in the FD! Rightfully so...at least their Carmen didn't bore me :cheer:
B&S do have a good concept for once. They need to focus now on their technical because at this stage, it needs a looooot of work.

Mozgov is ok but Bettina is skating on flats. Their scores are really funny and will become more funny with a not russian pannel ;)

Kind of liked the Parsons for once, but for her posture.

asunta

I have to say that I'm nicely surprised. I also find their concept as interesting, coherent even lovely in some old-fashioned, sentimental way, like they really capture the atmosphere of school "dance soiree" from fifties in Havana.

topaz

I enjoyed W/P SD, I really liked their music choices. The salsa rhythm is very good.

V/M - I can't deny their talent and skill. However, the moments are not authentic and choregraphy for me could be set to any music rhythm. As a team they are weak in latin. Scott's movement or lack their of is glaring. Their FD I like.

G/P - I like the concept of their dance and the choreography is good. The new lifts and spins are very good.

Popova/Mozgov - I really like the potential of the baby russians. I like their programs for this stage of their development.

Parsons - I didn't like the SD but I really liked the FD. They are very good skaters. They need to start now setting themselves apart with their style. Based on their programs this season I truly see this team being 4th at Nationals. They need to get with John Kerr next season to help with some chore.

ninalovesskating

B&S do have a good concept for once. They need to focus now on their technical because at this stage, it needs a looooot of work.

Mozgov is ok but Bettina is skating on flats. Their scores are really funny and will become more funny with a not russian pannel ;)

Kind of liked the Parsons for once, but for her posture.
B/S FD this season is more tolerable but it's still bland :blah:

As for Mozgov, I'm looking forward to Nebelhorn where he's going head to head with his former partner, Anna. Pretty interesting stuff coming up...

AquaLady

Tessa and Scott were nothing but incredible at Autumn Classic! Smoking Hot SD! Love, love, love their FD! That section with El Tango De Roxanne is my absolute favorite! So intense and so passionate... They really are not holding anything back! Fantastic job and fantastic scores! :cheer2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information