2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

analia

Firus' La La Land totally worked. He skated to the music. That's really all I ask from a program. Al these Four Seasons and Turandots aren't generating masterpieces either. There were some bad La La Lands from obscure junior skaters who honestly aren't going to look great doing any program. The only one I'm disappointed with is Alisa Fedichkina. I don't think the music is so bad.

Meoima

Firus' La La Land totally worked. He skated to the music. That's really all I ask from a program. Al these Four Seasons and Turandots aren't generating masterpieces either. There were some bad La La Lands from obscure junior skaters who honestly aren't going to look great doing any program. The only one I'm disappointed with is Alisa Fedichkina. I don't think the music is so bad.
I think La La La land ost sounds horrible in ice rink. It's hard to explain. It just doesn't sound right for ice rink atmosphere.

Barbara Manatee

I think La La La land ost sounds horrible in ice rink. It's hard to explain. It just doesn't sound right for ice rink atmosphere.
In the rink, the lyrics were badly garbled by the sound system. I didn't know what I was listening to, only that it made me think of a very earnest but bland high school musical. (Much like his outfit.) It didn't matter because he skated so beautifully, but the music isn't going to help him along if he isn't spot on.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Over at GS, somebody writes that the June(!) issue of Pirouette mag has info about Savchenko/Massot's program music (SP: Flamenco "Spanish Flame" by Maxim Rodriguez & FP: "La terre vue du ciel" by Armand Amar). Anybody here with access to said mag who could confirm this?

Aljona just posted on instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BZMYR8uh2jX/?hl=en&taken-by=aljonasavchenko
and one of the photos is the cover of the album 'la terre vue du ciel' so here's the confirmation ;)

angi

:eek: Are you sure?! Isn't it written that the world was a savage place, shrouded in darkness, until P/C appeared and gave unto us both music and style....
Well I was unable to find it, but maybe I didn't look hard enough? :COP::hat1:

Meoima

In the rink, the lyrics were badly garbled by the sound system. I didn't know what I was listening to, only that it made me think of a very earnest but bland high school musical. (Much like his outfit.) It didn't matter because he skated so beautifully, but the music isn't going to help him along if he isn't spot on.
That's my issue with La La La land soundtrack. On YouTube it sounds ok, but when you apply it to ice rink, it sounds so scratchy and I doubt any sound system would make it better. It's weak and bland and not impactful. I think the main issue is that the base of these sounds is so thin.
When I heard that Ashley threw La La La land away, I thought it's a good decision.

Quadjump

I haven't heard of Armand Amar before today, but I listened to "La Terre vue du ciel" and my immediate reaction is I hope Savchenkadakis and Massozeron win Olympic gold with it.
It seems that Aljona is even way more experimental than she was with Robin. No common music in three seasons. It feels so good after all these disappointing program announcements from top skaters.

I remember the bolero from 2013. Maybe the most boring program in her career.

Nmsis

It seems that Aljona is even way more experimental than she was with Robin. No common music in three seasons.
That is sooo Ballester, who is soooo Arribert (who made her dance teams and ballet skate on Patrick Watson and Wax Tailor a few years ago).

jmtfti

Not a completely novel selection for S/M -- former US ice dance team Kseniya Ponomaryova and Oleg Altukhov used it for their free dance last season, though that was just a bit under-the-radar. ;)

Camille Ruest and Drew Wolfe also seem to use a piece of Amar's in the second half of their "Earth Song" free.

Nmsis

Not a completely novel selection for S/M -- former US ice dance team Kseniya Ponomaryova and Oleg Altukhov used it for their free dance last season, though that was just a bit under-the-radar. ;)

Camille Ruest and Drew Wolfe also seem to use a piece of Amar's in the second half of their "Earth Song" free.
The first to use Armand Amar were Melodie Chataignier and Medhi Bouzzine. The OST of "Va, Vis et Deviens" in ... 2005 (?) IIRC.
They also used "La Terre Vue Du Ciel" in 2007-2008.
Amodio used Amar's Le Concert and I'm pretty sure some french girl used his music as well.
And I remember someone skating to City of Birth.

Bellanca

It seems that Aljona is even way more experimental than she was with Robin. No common music in three seasons. It feels so good after all these disappointing program announcements from top skaters.

I remember the bolero from 2013. Maybe the most boring program in her career.
Aljona :glamor: boring?! Surely you jest! :p ;) Girl couldn't be boring even if she tried! :rockstar:

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.

Totally agree. Firus' La La Land is stunning, great music cuts, expressed so well, with great choreography. :swoon:

Willin

At least it sounds like she's revamping the choreography. So there's a tiny bit new there. (Hopefully a lot of new)

aftershocks

Banned Member
At this point I'm just f*cking scared Chen is going to retire from skating and go to Harvard IF he wins the big prize next year. I think it'll take a lot for him to win, but you never know.

True, I like to see young skaters stay in the game and fully develop. Unfortunately, it's the sport's handlers who turned that notion on it's head circa Oksana Baiul and circa Tara Lipinski and circa Yulia Lip and Adelina Sotnikova. In any case, everyone's career trajectory is different.

In Nathan's case, and with the ongoing multiple quad adventure that once again the sport's handlers fostered and enabled, we have no idea the viable length of skaters' careers when they flash that much tech so many times over the course of a season and in training practices. The full quad impact is still an unknown factor long term for the sport and for the physical health of individual skaters. For Nathan, I think his definitive plans for his career are kind of up-in-the-air ( :lol: no pun originally intended, but now it is) :D

I'm going to just try and enjoy all the uplifting moments that the season brings, and appreciate the process that every skater is going through to try and be at their best this season.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Lynn Rutherford just tweeted, based on a Beverly Smith article, that Kaetlyn Osmond has dropped "Summertime" and is going back to Edith Piaf for her SP:
https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/908517229653889058

Good idea. Fans here have been suggesting it since Summertime's debut. The switch contradicts her coach's comments during his recent interview with Ted Flett, but clearly someone in SC must have advised Kaetlyn to drop sp 'Summer' for the more magical Piaf short which is more suited to delivering some magic at a Winter Olympics. :)

Lots of skaters have been dropping problematic new programs to go back to tried and true or to a different new program with better music that suits them, i.e., Vincent Zhou; Kaetlyn Osmond; Chris & Alexa; Ashley W; Mariah Bell; et al. A couple of skaters are even renewing their old partnership. ;)

Last edited:

RoseRed

Good idea. Fans here have been suggesting it since Summertime's debut. The switch contradicts her coach's comments during his recent interview with Ted Flett, but clearly someone in SC must have advised Kaetlyn to drop sp 'Summer' for the more magical Piaf short which is more suited to delivering some magic at a Winter Olympics. :)

Lots of skaters have been dropping problematic new programs to go back to tried and true or to a different new program with better music that suits them, i.e., Vincent Zhou; Kaetlyn Osmond; Chris & Alexa; Ashley W; Mariah Bell; et al. A couple of skaters are even renewing their old partnership. ;)
Actually, in the article in which the change was announced, they say that they considered keeping Piaf at the beginning, but at the time she felt she wanted to try something new, so they picked a new program and decided to work on it for the summer and then decide which they preferred at the end of the summer. She said they got good reviews for Summertime at High Performance Camp, but when she tried working with Piaf again afterwards she remembered how much she loved it (or something like that) and she knew it was the right choice. They said she needed the summer of working on something else to keep it from feeling stale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information