"No one knows Mirai's mirai" Nagasu cheer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

giselle23

Perhaps I am in the minority when it comes to Mirai but I really don't think she needs a 3A to win. She looks bored when she skates-her programs are seriously boring to watch. And she still gets decent scores. She has beautiful spins and some beautiful moves but the majority of her programs just drag on and on. There is no excitement to her skating at all she usually looks like she is asleep. Why wouldn't her team work on the actual performance? Shouldn't she look like she is trying? I think as far as natural talent, no one can compare to her in the US but girl needs some spark. It has been missing since 2010 Olympics...

She was US Champion, 4th at her first Olympics, and 1st in the SP at worlds that year. I know lately she has had mountains to climb but earlier in her career, things were kind of being handed to her and she just did not seize the opportunity.

Oops, I thought this was the Cheer Thread!

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Whether she was 'sparking' or looking anxious or detached, there has never been a ton of range throughout her competitive programs. I am hopeful that Jeff can introduce this skill to her repertoire.

He's really given her a brilliant cut of music for the FS.

Frida80

It's videos like these that would make me pay to see programs for Champs Camp. I'm not willing to pay $25 to see only one or two skaters I like. But if I got to see live test skater from the best skaters from the US? Sure! But a more economically $15 per day $25 for both the SP/SD and FS/FD and also some background camp stuff.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I am sad they changed the layout of the program because it worked to well with the music.... hope she can handle the triple axel in this order better. Maybe she will to two back to back haha

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
It's videos like these that would make me pay to see programs for Champs Camp. I'm not willing to pay $25 to see only one or two skaters I like. But if I got to see live test skater from the best skaters from the US? Sure! But a more economically $15 per day $25 for both the SP/SD and FS/FD and also some background camp stuff.

That won't ever happen because of programs getting scrapped by skaters after Champs Camp. We'd see some programs that we'd never see again, and the federations don't want that, hence the champs camp.

That 3axel is seriously looking beautiful and effortless, please put it in a bottle and save it for Russia! If she could pull that jump off at Rostelecom (against Janny) I'd have a conniption and be hugging lots of people. Just please keep things going the way they are currently going, please.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Perhaps I am in the minority when it comes to Mirai but I really don't think she needs a 3A to win. She looks bored when she skates-her programs are seriously boring to watch. And she still gets decent scores. She has beautiful spins and some beautiful moves but the majority of her programs just drag on and on. There is no excitement to her skating at all she usually looks like she is asleep. Why wouldn't her team work on the actual performance? Shouldn't she look like she is trying? I think as far as natural talent, no one can compare to her in the US but girl needs some spark. It has been missing since 2010 Olympics...

She was US Champion, 4th at her first Olympics, and 1st in the SP at worlds that year. I know lately she has had mountains to climb but earlier in her career, things were kind of being handed to her and she just did not seize the opportunity.

I think she needs to separate herself from the rest of the field. It is still crowded at the top, hence the 3A. It also sends a message that she is not sitting on her past success, which was long ago. This is more about respect and less about winning, IMO. I hope she makes the Olympic team this time.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

VGThuy

That was beautiful. I know some are afraid that her focusing on the 3A will take away her ability to be perform her programs consistently or pay attention to the choreography/music, but I think having the 3A may be a good thing for her. Give her a tangible goal for this season outside trying to skate clean and make the Olympic team.

kwanatic

Wow this 3axel business is getting real.
https://twitter.com/coachtomz/status/899819055065972736

:cheer: it looks awesome!

Definitely one of the best she's done! That was a beauty.

I'm very proud of her. She's put so much work and effort into her skating for the past few seasons and it's starting to pay off. I really want to see her succeed this year. What an amazing story it would be to see her get back to top 3 at nationals and make it to Pyeongchang. I'm crossing my fingers for her to have a great showing at her events. She's got a case for a spot right now but she can really push the odds in her favor by skating strongly at her events.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
That was beautiful. I know some are afraid that her focusing on the 3A will take away her ability to be perform her programs consistently or pay attention to the choreography/music, but I think having the 3A may be a good thing for her. Give her a tangible goal for this season outside trying to skate clean and make the Olympic team.

That was because her 3axel didn't look like THAT last season. If that's what her 3axel looks like now...

All bets are off. :respec:

Lutzlvr

I have to confess that I was rolling my eyes when Tom started posting videos of her working 3A. Thought it was another gimmicky attempt to get her some attention when she should be cleaning up the jumps and building a great program with transitions and choreography. Even more than that, I was really worried about her getting hurt. So I was really expecting another underrotated jump. WOW WOW WOW!!! Absolutely beautiful!!! So amazed and happy for her!!! I hope being able to do this at Champs camp gives her the confidence to build momentum for the season. It would be so great to have this year be the climax of all the previous seasons going back to when she was an itty bitty teen at Jr Worlds with so much charisma and potential

arakwafan2006

Wow this 3axel business is getting real.
https://twitter.com/coachtomz/status/899819055065972736

:cheer: it looks awesome!

She's about her business and it's clear. I loved it. The thing is, she's skating with tension and energy which has been missing. I think that this Axel is symbolic of a renewed athelete who is ready to be the best she can be. She's put the hours and the work in so now, she just needs practice doing it when it counts. This is going to be a long season for her. I hope she does not reach her best at Nationals. She just needs to make the team... A clean Nagasu, true Lutz, clean Axel, no edge calls can medal amongst the best in the world

mag

Here are the numbers for all of you who are hoping Mirai can just stay vertical.

3A (clean no fall) = 8.5
3A (clean with a fall) = 8.5-3-1=4.5
3A< (no fall) = 5.9-(2 or 3 depending on - GOE given) = 3.9 or 2.9
3A<< (no fall) = 3.3-1.5 = 1.8

So, I hope Mirai rotates it cleanly. I would much rather her stay in and get the rotation with a fall than try to stand up and end up with a cheat. This, of course, assumes she has no more than two falls in the program. Don't get me started on the what that crazy fall deduction rule is doing to lower level senior competitions!

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Wow that is so many points if she gets a +2. :wideeyes: that number looks so pretty and shiny and so tempting.. no. No I'm not going to go to that place just yet, she needs to land it clean at Rostelecom Cup under pressure where the Janny is present.

Maximillian

RIP TA
The more I've thought about it the more th 3A for Mirai makes sense. The reality is that she has already made an Olympic team (and was just off the podium, no less!), so while I'm sure that she would be happy just making the team, I'm sure that she would want more than just that this time around. The 3A looks terrific and I am excited to watch her this season!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Who else is doing a 3A these days? I haven't seen Tuk doing it for a while. I think one of the Canadian ladies must be working on it- Delman? Could Mirai be the only one? I think Tuk can bring hers back.

mag

Who else is doing a 3A these days? I haven't seen Tuk doing it for a while. I think one of the Canadian ladies must be working on it- Delman? Could Mirai be the only one? I think Tuk can bring hers back.

Tessa Hong is apparently working on it. I could see Daleman getting a quad toe but I have no idea if she is working on it.

antmanb

I think the 3A in the SP is a no brainer - it was a no brainer for Mao especially in the years she wasn't trying a 3/3 in the SP, and it is a no brainer for Mirai - the point advantage she gets from landing it, even slightly < but stood up (which is pretty equal with a 2A) means its worth the risk - she has great spins to go with the jumps and it would likely help her be in a strong position after the short with hopefully a good point advantage over the nearest skater.

mag

I think the 3A in the SP is a no brainer - it was a no brainer for Mao especially in the years she wasn't trying a 3/3 in the SP, and it is a no brainer for Mirai - the point advantage she gets from landing it, even slightly < but stood up (which is pretty equal with a 2A) means its worth the risk - she has great spins to go with the jumps and it would likely help her be in a strong position after the short with hopefully a good point advantage over the nearest skater.

I agree she should go for it in the short, but only if she is rotating it 90% of the time. Even with a fall, as long as it is rotated she is fine. My concern with Mirai is that under pressure she will sacrifice rotation in order to stand up, and that is when the points start to disappear. You are correct that standing up on a 3A< is similar points to a 2A, but you are then at the mercy of the caller. A 3A<< gives a lot of points away. Mirai needs to think rotation, rotation, rotation. Then she can think landing.

chapis

Rika Kihira (junior) 3a-3t and even 4s.

Bellanca

Wow that is so many points if she gets a +2. :wideeyes: that number looks so pretty and shiny and so tempting.. no. No I'm not going to go to that place just yet, she needs to land it clean at Rostelecom Cup under pressure where the Janny is present.
Yup! :lol: For crying out loud, whatever Mirai does, she should not, under any circumstances, ever let the Janny get into her head! :puppet:

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
The Janny knows all and see all. :puppet:

When Mirai lands a clean triple axel, she will :wideeyes: the Janny and bring forth the wrinkles in Eteri's forehead. :COP:

Or the Janny floats to victory again because everyone else caves under the pressure. Either way I like that clean triple axel very much.

mag

Given the kind of fire power that Med trains with everyday, I doubt there is much she is going to see at a competition that will phase her.

Bellanca

The Janny knows all and see all. :puppet:

When Mirai lands a clean triple axel, she will :wideeyes: the Janny and bring forth the wrinkles in Eteri's forehead. :COP:

Or the Janny floats to victory again because everyone else caves under the pressure. Either way I like that clean triple axel very much.
Amen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information