Olympic Channel - Launches July 15th

Debbie S

Thankfully, I have it on my cable package. I called Comcast a couple weeks ago to see about a reduction in my bill, b/c it went up $20/month. The reason given is that I'm in the second year of a 2-year promotion, so the cost goes up somewhat, but I'm not eligible to switch to the newer promotion that would be $30 less. The only thing they offered was to downgrade my service so I would only get the "limited basic" channels which I knew wouldn't include Universal/Olympic, or a bunch of other channels. And there wasn't even that much of a cost difference. So I'm keeping my current plan at highway robbery price. :mad:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Thankfully, I have it on my cable package. I called Comcast a couple weeks ago to see about a reduction in my bill, b/c it went up $20/month. The reason given is that I'm in the second year of a 2-year promotion, so the cost goes up somewhat, but I'm not eligible to switch to the newer promotion that would be $30 less. The only thing they offered was to downgrade my service so I would only get the "limited basic" channels which I knew wouldn't include Universal/Olympic, or a bunch of other channels. And there wasn't even that much of a cost difference. So I'm keeping my current plan at highway robbery price. :mad:
Sorry to hear that, Debbie. I started getting these really good 'loyalty promotions', etc. about 3 or 4 years ago. I've had DirecTV since 2005. The past few years, they've been really good about giving me 3 free months of premium channels, etc. Last year, DirecTV gave a 35 dollar credit for a year which expired the end of June.

A couple of weeks ago, I called DirecTV with questions about my package, and they wanted then to check if there were anymore loyalty promotions. That's when they gave me the 25 dollar credit for another year. So I was surprised when I called them today, and they upped my credit to 45 dollars a month, gave me the Ultimate Package and the 4 free months of Showtime.

I know that a lot of you have Comcast, but I can't get that in my hometown. The cable that is now offered in my town is NewWave. They took over Mansfield Cablevision which is what I had before I finally got DirecTV. At that time, the channels would become snowy, and I found out that was because of the filters they had to use if you didn't want HBO, Showtime or Starz. There was only one HBO, Showtime and Starz, and we have to remember that I'm talking about 2005. I found out about the filters because one of the cable guys tried to fix it on the telephone pole across the street. My channels were suddenly clear, and the cable guy said the only way he could do that was remove the filter. But then, he had to put the filter back on there since I didn't have the premium channels. Afterwards, I called DirecTV and cancelled Cablevision.

I've never had Dish Network, but my brother does. He's had it for quite a few years and told me that they have never given him any loyalty promotions at all until last week. He received a letter in the mail and they offered him a 10 dollar discount for year if wanted to get HBO. My brother actually has a similar package to what I have now with this Ultimate Package. He gets the Starz Encore channels like I'm now getting. When I told him about what happened today, he said he was calling to let Dish know that he was seriously thinking about changing to DirecTV because I was always getting great promotions and discounts which they have never offered to him.

At least that's one good thing about DirecTV. When I was at NurseCare in 2011, they also put a hold on my DirecTV for a year where I wouldn't have to pay it monthly until I was able to come home. Once I got home in 2012, I had my package with DirecTV again.

mollymgr

Comcast just sucks! The only way around their fleecing after a promo ends has been to ask for a manager, and once you finally get one on the phone, to threaten to leave their service if they don't renegotiate the contract. Sometimes, they will do it. It has worked for me for a couple years, after which I did have to leave to go to Uverse. I am pleased with their service. They have already switched Universal to the Olympic channel.

yossalu

With Dish, you just need to try and remove things online. Generally, they'll offer the discount immediately. I've only ever paid half price for HBO. Using online chat is another easy way to get promotional offers. If you ask nicely--or threaten to leave in a kindly manner--they'll generally help you out. I've never had it so easy with any cable or satellite company.

Unfortunately, the Olympic Channel isn't something we can ask nicely about right now. Since they used to carry Universal HD I hope they will add this eventually, or at least prior to the season. I'm also hoping we'll get more coverage on NBC Sports and NBC, but right now I'm not optimistic.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Any other Cox Cable users here? Looks like it will be included in my current package, but the channel shows as unavailable. Tech support said it's an issue in my area. Was wondering if Cox customers in other cities were getting the channel.

meggonzo

Banned Member
I have Comcast and it appears that the Olympic Channel will be on the same channel number as Universal HD.

Yes, I checked this out, but got a message that the Olympic Channel is not part of my subscription, but I used to get Universal HD. :mad:

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I had to change my DirecTV package to the Choice Xtra package - an extra $10.00 a month more than the package I had before. The things I do to watch skating....(grumble)

SpeedySucks

Yes, I checked this out, but got a message that the Olympic Channel is not part of my subscription, but I used to get Universal HD. :mad:

You have to subscribe to the Digital Preferred package to get the Olympic Channel. Quite annoying as Universal HD was part of the much cheaper Digital Starter package. :mad:

meggonzo

Banned Member
I'm not even sure how to do that since my cable subscription is through my condo association. Blargh. Hopefully I can just use Ice Network. If part of the Olympics are broadcast on the Olympic channel, I can maybe figure out how to add it then.

Debbie S

I'm not even sure how to do that since my cable subscription is through my condo association.
Is everyone in your condo association required to have the same package? Usually, even if the building has some exclusive arrangement with a cable provider, individual subscribers can choose which package they want. Maybe call and see? Just don't call first thing in the morning or during lunchtime.

TanithandBenFan

The original information I was given by Cox was correct, and the Olympic Channel is available through the Sports and Information pack only. They offered me a discounted price of $8/month so I took that and got rid of my HBO/SHO subscription since I only watch a couple of shows on those channels and I can use my friend's online password for them. :fan:

meggonzo

Banned Member
Is everyone in your condo association required to have the same package? Usually, even if the building has some exclusive arrangement with a cable provider, individual subscribers can choose which package they want. Maybe call and see? Just don't call first thing in the morning or during lunchtime.

No, I'm sure if I wanted to upgrade my service I could, I just don't want something to get screwed up if I only want to subscribe for a short period of time.

Debbie S

No, I'm sure if I wanted to upgrade my service I could, I just don't want something to get screwed up if I only want to subscribe for a short period of time.
Understand. Although I was able to upgrade, then downgrade a week or so later, my package so I could get whatever cable channel was going to be broadcasting a lot of 09 Worlds. There weren't any service issues, but I did have to pay a change fee (I think it was a couple dollars) each time. :rolleyes:

yossalu

The Olympic Channel app currently has some next day or same day replays and even some live coverage for free. I don't know if this will always be the case or if it will cover more popular sports--I highly doubt the latter will be true for skating but I think the former might be. This means there's a glimmer of hope for some who cannot access the channel and do not have one of the cord-cutting options on the list.

BaileyCatts

Hmm. I have Time Warner (or Charter, or Spectrum, or whatever the hell its called now). The channel is showing on my guide, but says I have to call to get it. That's fine. I'll drop the package that had Universal HD in it and replace with whatever package I gotta get. As long as I get it! :p

BaileyCatts

Hmmm. Called to get The Olympic Channel, and it seems since I am former Time Warner (taken over by Spectrum) I need to convert to Spectrum, turn in all my equipment and sign up for new service as it won't receive on my current equipment. Again, that's fine. I figured that at some point in the future I would probably be required to switch out equipment anyway. But I looked at the Spectrum Channel Lineup and they are not showing The Olympic Channel on their website, but the Customer Service Guy seemed to understand what I wanted. I'm hoping its because its just not updated on their website yet. We shall see. One day over the next week or so I'll unhook everything and take it over to the Spectrum office and get exchanged. Having a guy come to my house would require me to like clean it so that ain't gonna happen. :rofl: Hopefully I can figure how to hook everything up myself. :p

Skate Talker

Having a guy come to my house would require me to like clean it so that ain't gonna happen.
Lol - been there. In fact, I have to keep my fingers crossed nothing mechanical breaks down in the basement because it would take me forever to make a pathway. Actually I have a house-cleaner come in once a month for the main floor. Tidying up ahead of her arrival is just about the only thing that keeps the mess in check.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Olympic Channel simply replaced UniversalHD in our Xfinity "digital preferred" lineup. Mostly non-stop coverage of the World Aquatics in Budapest so far. Fantastic synchro swimming.

Nathan and Ashley most prominent figure skaters in the ads, although I caught a glimpse of Gracie talking about Sarah Hughes in 2002.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Uh oh, FIOS does it again. They sent an incorrect update to TiVo. If yours is messed up, look for the listings on the old Universal channel. The actual programming is on the old NBCSN2 channel. In my area, that means listings on 567 with the programming on 591. Sux to have to toggle back and forth, and makes it harder to record.

Susan1

I guess it's too early to tell, and I haven't looked anything up yet, but what about the actual Olympics in 2018? In 2014 I watched ALL figure skating live on NBCSN. And now I have a 40" HD t.v.!!!

TanithandBenFan

I guess it's too early to tell, and I haven't looked anything up yet, but what about the actual Olympics in 2018? In 2014 I watched ALL figure skating live on NBCSN. And now I have a 40" HD t.v.!!!

The figure skating is scheduled to be live in prime time on NBC, so unless they show skating concurrently on another channel, we won't see the entire event. Because NBC will do their usual spotty coverage.

Susan1

The figure skating is scheduled to be live in prime time on NBC, so unless they show skating concurrently on another channel, we won't see the entire event. Because NBC will do their usual spotty coverage.

The last time NBCSN showed every single skater and event. I forget, but it was like 8 a.m. to noon one day and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. the next day. They showed the whole team competition. I mean, seriously, every single second of every skater. They only had fluff pieces during the ice resurfacing. It was exhausting! ha ha I ate and went to the bathroom during commercials. It was great! When I had to get a new t.v. last year, I said I would really be looking forward to the 2018 O's now.

TanithandBenFan

The last time NBCSN showed every single skater and event. I forget, but it was like 8 a.m. to noon one day and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. the next day. They showed the whole team competition. I mean, seriously, every single second of every skater. They only had fluff pieces during the ice resurfacing. It was exhausting! ha ha I ate and went to the bathroom during commercials. It was great! When I had to get a new t.v. last year, I said I would really be looking forward to the 2018 O's now.

I remember it fondly! But the skating was live during the daytime in the U.S. so it didn't conflict with NBC's primetime coverage. This time the skating will actually take place in the U.S. prime time hours. I don't see NBC showing it on two different channels at the same time, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Dangit, I can't get the channel unless I upgrade my set top box. Stupid FIOS. Guess I'd better start tearing through my DVRed material . . .

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Dangit, I can't get the channel unless I upgrade my set top box. Stupid FIOS. Guess I'd better start tearing through my DVRed material . . .
Yep. You'd think they'd give an option to save everything to their cloud, then send it to the new box. Not to mention their odd policy of wiping and reformatting your disk after an extended power failure. You'd think they'd run diagnostics first, mais non. DH lost 5 years of Twilight Zone in the last reformat.

Susan1

I remember it fondly! But the skating was live during the daytime in the U.S. so it didn't conflict with NBC's primetime coverage. This time the skating will actually take place in the U.S. prime time hours. I don't see NBC showing it on two different channels at the same time, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Yeah, I didn't even specifically watch in prime time to try to see 10 minutes of skating in between other sports cause I saw it all uninterrupted in the morning! So, rats, there won't be uninterrupted skating anywhere because of the timing?

Anybody with AT&T Uverse that doesn't have dish? The Olympic Channel just showed up on the guide last night - channel 667. I looked for the Universal HD channel right after I saw this thread and it wasn't there. This channel just showed up out of nowhere? They were showing swimming, so it's in my package. I still have this package till January of 2019 (renewed with a better package that was on special so it was actually cheaper! Not that I watch the Cowboy channel hee hee or anything on all of the Showtimes, but I love Hallmark Movies and Mysteries). Anyway, I hope the Olympic channel stays there for the skating. With AT&T you never know what's going to come and go!

A.H.Black

I sent the following email to Dish network yesterday at [email protected]

I notice that DISH Network has not added the "Olympic Channel". Please add it ASAP

I have been a Dish Network customer for over 20 years. I would hate to switch to a different company. However, when the Seoul Olympics come around in February 2018, if DISH does not carry the Olympic Channel (and the Olympic Channel has Olympic coverage) - I will switch in a heartbeat.

Olympic Coverage vs Dish Network? Olympics wins every time.

Sincerely,

Got a reply today that they would send my request along. I understand there is also a place on NBC to check on the progress of negotiations. When I find it, I will post.

I have a feeling that for 2018, NBC will treat the Olympic Channel like they did with Universal Sports - lots of special stuff and commentary, but not actual Olympic coverage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information