U.S. Pairs 2017 - News & Updates, Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojo13

Kind of unfortunate that Alexa and Chris, Haven and Brandon, Ashley and Tim, Marissa and Mervin not in Detroit. It would be beneficial for them to get in front of judges for feedback early in the season so that their programs can evolve before international competitions begin. Smart decision for Deanna and Nate to be there.

Reactions: DFO

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I love the way Max Settlage moves, and I'm happy to see him back! It's remarkable how comfortable he and Deardorff seem after such a short time together.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Here is Deanna and Nate's new "Eleanor Rigby" SP from Skate Detroit:
https://youtu.be/bDhdNXOxccc

Right away you notice the improvement in their unison, beautiful lines, then sbs triple lutz just to make you gasp (small stumble), a bit sketchy on the twist catch and the throw was a bit wonky, but lovely. I find her absolutely wonderful, she skates so beautifully and with such presence. (He does too) They deserve a GP assignment IMO.

It's ridiculous how fast they're improving! So much potential to be world freakin' class! :kickass:

TOTALLY agree!! :cheer2::cheer2:

But, damn, another music selection that put me right back to sleep :(

wickedwitch

Glad to see Calalang/Sidhu land their sbs triples. Did they do that once all last season? They were very good overall, although I'm not crazy about the music cut.

Stellato/Barthalomay were underwhelming. Individually, they have plenty of musicality, but together I find them dull and lacking in interpretation. But they are technically solid.

Enjoyed Deardorff/Settlage's debut. I thought Aaron/Settlage were especially well matched, but Deardorff is holding her own for now.

aftershocks

Banned Member
... The junior teams are looking good. Lots of teams age eligible. Making it really tough to see the dismal performance of senior team of Jacob and Allie ...

Yes, I pretty much agree with your observations on all the performances you cited. I too am not as interested in the Jacob Simon and Allie Yao pairing, as much as I enjoyed watching Allie with Austin Hale:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx9WLhnSlb8 Jr. sp 2017 U.S. Nats Yao/Hale
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g9kw3S6fDU Jr. fp Yao/Hale --- so lovely and well-matched

Simon/Yao at Broadmoor starts @3:40:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g9kw3S6fDU
Simon/Yao at Detroit Open:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWOUovw8IHM

Obviously, Jacob & Allie performed a bit better at Broadmoor, but once again there's nothing very interesting about their pairing, especially in contrast to the more distinctive and promising pairing Allie had with Austin Hale, IMHO. One of the huge problems is that Allie is not a strong jumper (even with doubles). She has long, lovely lines and good basic skills, but she needs a lot of help with further developing her technical side, as well as projecting more to the audience, as well as expressing more connection and emotion toward her partner (and this was clearly the case when she was with Austin too). The difference with Austin to me is that Allie/Austin seemed to have a bit more chemistry in terms of their more interesting look on the ice and the way they moved together. Jacob is a very good pairs partner, but he clearly had more chemistry with Lindsay Weinstein.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy6mbakFU2o 2016 JGP Ostrava sp Weinstein/Simon

From the way Jacob/Allie performed with a bit more enthusiasm at their home training rink (Broadmoor), they obviously have been working hard together, but there is just not much that's impressive about their pairing. With the development work that they are going to need, Allie might just as well have received that instruction with Austin rather than switching to a new partner. What's the explanation for the switch anyway? Political musical chairs? Allie & Austin had back-to-back notable success as juniors. Why scrap it and start over with someone else?

And what was the stumbling block that Lindsay and Jacob faced exactly? If Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner had given up the ghost as a team at the first sign of Tai's puberty and growing pains, the U.S. would have had even remarkably less success on the Worlds stage in pairs. Babilonia/Gardner were so significant in what they achieved together, especially in terms of not giving up at the slightest or most difficult obstacles they had to overcome in their pairing.

Last edited:

Jojo13

Yes, I pretty much agree with your observations on all the performances you cited. I too am not as interested in the Jacob Simon and Allie Yao pairing, as much as I enjoyed watching Allie with Austin Hale:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx9WLhnSlb8 Jr. sp 2017 U.S. Nats Yao/Hale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g9kw3S6fDU Jr. fp Yao/Hale --- so lovely and well-matched

Simon/Yao at Broadmoor starts @3:40:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g9kw3S6fDU
Simon/Yao at Detroit Open:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWOUovw8IHM

Obviously, Jacob & Allie performed a bit better at Broadmoor, but once again there's nothing very interesting about their pairing, especially in contrast to the more distinctive and promising pairing Allie had with Austin Hale, IMHO. One of the huge problems is that Allie is not a strong jumper (even with doubles). She has long, lovely lines and good basic skills, but she needs a lot of help with further developing her technical side, as well as projecting more to the audience, as well as expressing more connection and emotion toward her partner (and this was clearly the case when she was with Austin too). The difference with Austin to me is that Allie/Austin seemed to have a bit more chemistry in terms of their more interesting look on the ice and the way they moved together. Jacob is a very good pairs partner, but he clearly had more chemistry with Lindsay Weinstein.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy6mbakFU2o 2016 JGP Ostrava sp Weinstein/Simon

From the way Jacob/Allie performed with a bit more enthusiasm at their home training rink (Broadmoor), they obviously have been working hard together, but there is just not much that's impressive about their pairing. With the development work that they are going to need, Allie might just as well have received that instruction with Austin rather than switching to a new partner. What's the explanation for the switch anyway? Political musical chairs? Allie & Austin had back-to-back notable success as juniors. Why scrap it and start over with someone else?

And what was the stumbling block that Lindsay and Jacob faced exactly? If Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner had given up the ghost as a team at the first sign of Tai's puberty and growing pains, the U.S. would have had even remarkably less success on the Worlds stage in pairs. Babilonia/Gardner were so significant in what they achieved together, especially in terms of not giving up at the slightest obstacles they had to overcome in their pairing.

You cannot even compare broadmoor to Detroit program. Simon/Yao did throw doubles. She does not project and skates like she is a deer in headlights. She skated that way too with Austin but he projected better than Jacob. And Lindsay had great ice presence. The split of Jacob and Lindsay was a complete shame. I loved them together.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I adore Deanna and Nate, I adore Rohene, so why that music, why????:dog: ...

For those who do not like Eleanor Rigby for Deanna/Nate, would you perhaps like this non-vocal version better? Classic Alexander Johnson :encore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-1AI1fXdiE

Altho' this sp was more inspirational: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj86HA-RiNE
Perhaps S-D/B should have kept this sp and simply worked more on fine-tuning skating skills in order to increase their speed and edge control, rather than focusing on beefing up difficulty of elements? In fact, looking at the new sp, there doesn't seem to be much interesting choreo aside from footwork. The focus is apparently more on setting up for increased technical difficulty.

You cannot even compare broadmoor to Detroit program. Simon/Yao did throw doubles. She does not project and skates like she is a deer in headlights. She skated that way too with Austin but he projected better than Jacob. And Lindsay had great ice presence. The split of Jacob and Lindsay was a complete shame. I loved them together.

Well, I wasn't saying Broadmoor was any fantastic shakes in comparison, just that it was their home rink with not as many mistakes. I was agreeing with your observation, so I don't think we are in major disagreement now, are we? :p

Allie clearly does throw-doubles. That's why I referred to her needing to develop her technical skills. Even with basic, less difficult double jumps, she's not a strong jumper. That's another reason why it's hard to understand the pairing with Jacob. They will not be receiving competitive points in the senior ranks with doubles, much less poorly executed doubles.

And again, in my previous post, I said the same things you repeated: Allie does not project well, not even with Austin (who also did not project particularly well, but he had a more interesting presence on the ice, and they also were better matched in how they looked and moved together, despite needing to work on developing a better emotional connection.) We also are in agreement that Lindsay and Jacob were better matched and had wonderful chemistry. That's why I brought up Tai & Randy with the comparison question as to what made Lindsay & Jacob split that they were unable to work through to overcome together?

It's the same old refrain for U.S. pairs. Why split at the drop of a hat instead of working hard to build partnerships that start out with promise and a notable degree of success? No answers apparently.

Last edited:

CassAgain

Glad to see Calalang/Sidhu land their sbs triples. Did they do that once all last season? They were very good overall, although I'm not crazy about the music cut.

I was impressed by them, and their skates and scores must give them a nice little boost to start the season. Kind of love the V/M tribute they have going with their Kiss SP and Carmen free. Looking forward to see what they can do.

Jojo13

For those who do not like Eleanor Rigby for Deanna/Nate, would you perhaps like this non-vocal version better? Classic Alexander Johnson :encore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-1AI1fXdiE

Well, I wasn't saying Broadmoor was any fantastic shakes in comparison, just that it was their home rink with not as many mistakes. I was agreeing with your observation, so I don't think we are in major disagreement now, are we? :p

Allie clearly does throw-doubles. That's why I referred to her needing to develop her technical skills. Even with basic, less difficult double jumps, she's not a strong jumper. That's another reason why it's hard to understand the pairing with Jacob.

And again, in my previous post, I said the same things you repeated: Allie does not project well, not even with Austin (who also did not project particularly well, but he had a more interesting presence on the ice, and they also were better matched in how they looked and moved together, despite needing to work on developing a better emotional connection.) We also are in agreement that Lindsay and Jacob were better matched and had wonderful chemistry. That's why I brought up Tai & Randy with the comparison question as to what made Lindsay & Jacob split that they were unable to work through to overcome together?

It's the same old refrain for U.S. pairs. Why split at the drop of a hat instead of working hard to build partnerships that start out with promise and a notable degree of success? No answers apparently.
I am not arguing with you. I am agreeing. I think you have very very valid points.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I was impressed by them, and their skates and scores must give them a nice little boost to start the season. Kind of love the V/M tribute they have going with their Kiss SP and Carmen free. Looking forward to see what they can do.

To me, C/S' music choices seem more like a Prince tribute, and the selection of a safe war horse, rather than a tribute to a boffo Canadian ice dance team?? But, we all see what we see, and make references/ connections peculiar to our own perceptions. :)

Glad to see Calalang/Sidhu land their sbs triples. Did they do that once all last season?

Zach has been going through very difficult back problems the last few seasons, so yeah he's had resultant issues with the sbs jumps. Hopefully with the time they took off, he's been able to figure out a way to manage the difficulties/ back pain. They had a decent start to the season last summer, albeit Zach could not manage the jumps:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3bwbpTr5AY sp U.S. Intl Classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfhhekvf_QY fp Skate Detroit

Afterward of course, they pretty much had to take off most of the season, or else they didn't do well with whatever further assignments they had, and ended up pulling out of Nationals to try and address Zach's back pain.

Last edited:

DFO

Just to get an idea, I added the Junior SP and FS from Detroit. Non official results.
149,36 Audrey Lu/Misha Mitrofanov
140,72 Evelyn Walsh/Trennt Michaud (CAN)
135 Sarah Feng/TJ Nyman
134,80 Laiken Lockley/Keenan Prochnow
124,56 Elli Kopmar/Jonah Barrett
119,44 Kate Finster/Derrick Griffin
111,74 Ainsley Peterson/Griffin Schwab
105,08 Sarah Rose/Ian Meyh
105,04 Katherina Frantz/Nicolas Frantz
103,80 Meiryla Findley/Matthew Rounis [Pearl Harbor]
97,84 Patricia Andrew/Paxton Knott (CAN)
97,58 Eliana Secunda/Blake Eisenach [Swan Lake]
88,20 Evelyn Grace Hanns/Kristofer Ogren
33.04 Cora DeWyre/Jacob Nussle (SP only)

At the same event last year, Lu/Mitranov were second, with 10 points less. Good progressions. Michaud was 1st with Allison Eby, and they did a few points better than Walsh/Michaud this year. Lockley/Prochnow were 11 points less last year, so another pair rising. Kopmar/Barret had 118,46, I think their FS gave them some trouble this year,still they are getting stronger.

Of some interest are also the new pairs Finster/Griffin, and Peterson/Schwab with decent scores. Griffin was N1 and Peterson N2.

Would have like some videos... :confused:

Jojo13

I
Just to get an idea, I added the Junior SP and FS from Detroit. Non official results.
149,36 Audrey Lu/Misha Mitrofanov
140,72 Evelyn Walsh/Trennt Michaud (CAN)
135 Sarah Feng/TJ Nyman
134,80 Laiken Lockley/Keenan Prochnow
124,56 Elli Kopmar/Jonah Barrett
119,44 Kate Finster/Derrick Griffin
111,74 Ainsley Peterson/Griffin Schwab
105,08 Sarah Rose/Ian Meyh
105,04 Katherina Frantz/Nicolas Frantz
103,80 Meiryla Findley/Matthew Rounis [Pearl Harbor]
97,84 Patricia Andrew/Paxton Knott (CAN)
97,58 Eliana Secunda/Blake Eisenach [Swan Lake]
88,20 Evelyn Grace Hanns/Kristofer Ogren
33.04 Cora DeWyre/Jacob Nussle (SP only)

At the same event last year, Lu/Mitranov were second, with 10 points less. Good progressions. Michaud was 1st with Allison Eby, and they did a few points better than Walsh/Michaud this year. Lockley/Prochnow were 11 points less last year, so another pair rising. Kopmar/Barret had 118,46, I think their FS gave them some trouble this year,still they are getting stronger.

Of some interest are also the new pairs Finster/Griffin, and Peterson/Schwab with decent scores. Griffin was N1 and Peterson N2.

Would have like some videos... :confused:
i was very impressed with what I saw At junior event this weekend. I think there is far more potential coming from them than Yao/Simon, who barely made the new required criteria because of an extra lift in senior program. In my opinion I would give the junior teams international exposure and experience. Going international with throw doubles and inconsistent side by side jumps will not fair well. If usfsa wants to build the Pairs program they must invest in their junior teams.

Reactions: DFO

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed

Thank you for that! But it's not the vocals of Deanna and Nate's version, but the strings; I admit I'm not a huge strings fan. Classical violins, Celtic fiddles, nope, don't emphasize the strings:scream: And every skater seems to use an Eleanor Rigby remake that just amps up the violin. And of course a Joshua Bell version will *really* amp up the violin;)

I have turned down the music on many a program, and if this one doesn't grow on me, I'll just turn it down and appreciate Deanna and Nate without it:D

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ Okay. I am just not that opposed or picky regarding the nuances and specifics, though I don't think the music is as wonderful as that for Deanna/Nate's last year's sp. Still, I understand they are attempting to work on amping up the difficulty to be more competitive, and apparently felt they wanted to bring something fresh for the Olympic season.

As I said earlier, I'd have just as easily appreciated them for concentrating more on fine-tuning and polishing their speed and aesthetic details, as well as being consistent on less difficult jumping passes. I do enjoy the pairs lift from their sp, and I'm eager to see their fp. It doesn't appear that fps have been uploaded to Youtube yet for Skate Detroit men and pairs.

From Jackie Wong's stats, we do know that Jessica/Zachary won! Yay!
http://www.rockerskating.com/news/2017/7/20/2017-skate-detroit-play-by-playresults
So Jes/Zac experience must have prevailed, and they must have a good Carmen fp. Likely Deanna/Nate did not successfully complete all of their ambitious difficulty. I don't think they need to be messing with a throw quad. I say go for the sbs 3-lutzes, but scratch the throw quad and work more on increasing their speed and improving their skating skills and connection as a pair. It is usually counterproductive to put the cart before the horse. Can I get anyone to second that?

ETA:
I found this partial clip of Deanna/Nate fp at Skate Detroit:
https://twitter.com/magicaleggrolls/status/888858047820574721

It's only the first half of the program. They were perfect on their opening sbs 3-lutzes, but then they had an unfortunate spill on the dismount of their throw 3-twist. (It was a fluke, very similar to James/Cipres at Worlds in which the pairs lady is set down okay, but a bit off-balance to the point where she loses her balance, trips and falls backwards -- too bad). It shook up Deanna and they had to regroup which disrupted the program. Unfortunately, the very next element was the attempt at throw quad and Deanna fell on the landing. They carried on gamely. This is a summer comp to help get programs out there for mileage and to work out the kinks.

I still say S-D/B should keep the 3-lutzes and ratchet back on throw quad in order to fine-tune aesthetics, develop more speed, and improve timing and consistency on everything else, especially throw 3-twist, but also combo spins, lifts, etc. They need to improve their overall skating to gain points. They don't need a throw quad at this point, IMHO.

Last edited:

Jojo13

^^ Okay. I am just not that opposed or picky regarding the nuances and specifics, though I don't think the music is as wonderful as that for Deanna/Nate's last year's sp. Still, I understand they are attempting to work on amping up the difficulty to be more competitive, and apparently felt they wanted to bring something fresh for the Olympic season.

As I said earlier, I'd have just as easily appreciated them for concentrating more on fine-tuning and polishing their speed and aesthetic details, as well as being consistent on less difficult jumping passes. I do enjoy the pairs lift from their sp, and I'm eager to see their fp. It doesn't appear that fps have been uploaded to Youtube yet for Skate Detroit men and pairs.

From Jackie Wong's stats, we do know that Jessica/Zachary won! Yay!
http://www.rockerskating.com/news/2017/7/20/2017-skate-detroit-play-by-playresults
So Jes/Zac experience must have prevailed, and they must have a good Carmen fp. Likely Deanna/Nate did not successfully complete all of their ambitious difficulty. I don't think they need to be messing with a throw quad. I say go for the sbs 3-lutzes, but scratch the throw quad and work more on increasing their speed and improving their skating skills and connection as a pair. It is usually counterproductive to put the cart before the horse. Can I get anyone to second that?

ETA:
I found this partial clip of Deanna/Nate fp at Skate Detroit:
https://twitter.com/magicaleggrolls/status/888858047820574721

It's only the first half of the program. They were perfect on their opening sbs 3-lutzes, but then they had an unfortunate spill on the dismount of their throw 3-twist. (It was a fluke, very similar to James/Cipres at Worlds in which the pairs lady is set down okay, but a bit off-balance to the point where she loses her balance, trips and falls backwards -- too bad). It shook up Deanna and they had to regroup which disrupted the program. Unfortunately, the very next element was the attempt at throw quad and Deanna fell on the landing. They carried on gamely. This is a summer comp to help get programs out there for mileage and to work out the kinks.

I still say S-D/B should keep the 3-lutzes and ratchet back on throw quad in order to fine-tune aesthetics, develop more speed, and improve timing and consistency on everything else, especially throw 3-twist, but also combo spins, lifts, etc. They need to improve their overall skating to gain points. They don't need a throw quad at this point, IMHO.
Liked Jessica and Zach's Carmen skate. They have nice ice coverage and their elements were good. First skate of the season was solid but room to improve. Looking forward to seeing them develop these programs throughout the rest of the season.

Deanna and Nate impress me. They are want to challenge themselves to be competitive with the rest of the world. But the key is to execute. If they do not execute then it doesn't matter what they put into the program. IMHO I believe in doing what you can really really well.

Jojo13

Altho' this sp was more inspirational: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj86HA-RiNE
Perhaps S-D/B should have kept this sp and simply worked more on fine-tuning skating skills in order to increase their speed and edge control, rather than focusing on beefing up difficulty of elements? In fact, looking at the new sp, there doesn't seem to be much interesting choreo aside from footwork. The focus is apparently more on setting up for increased technical difficulty.

Allie clearly does throw-doubles. That's why I referred to her needing to develop her technical skills. Even with basic, less difficult double jumps, she's not a strong jumper. That's another reason why it's hard to understand the pairing with Jacob. They will not be receiving competitive points in the senior ranks with doubles, much less poorly executed doubles.

Jojo13

Who chose music for Jacob and Allie? "Love Story"? They have no connection to each other. To skate to that music you must make the audience believe. I am just not liking this pairing at all. Their program was lacking technically and in components.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ I think @AxelAnnie may be referring to Deanna/Nate?

Okay, here is the Twitter provider's Skate Detroit playlist on Youtube with full clips of the sps and full fps now available too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMzSyNFyEnc&list=PLNldSogO11g8ik5gClD6cKR45UUKtGFaQ&index=31

You'll find full fp clips for Deanna/Nate and Jessica/Zach, et al. I guess some of you have already. :)

Now that I've seen the full Deanna/Nate fp video, I must say they came back in pretty good form to execute the rest of their program decently after the two falls. And I mean the first fall was a fluke, and the second fall was on a throw quad! And it looked like Deanna made the rotations. I haven't seen the protocols. They are also making strides on improving their speed and polish as well. They just need to keep at it. I would still say they should spend more effort on being consistent rather than putting too much effort into the quad. It seems like Deanna/Nate want to go for broke for the Olympic season, which is admirable. Or perhaps they are more trying to battle for second spot at Worlds, or at least for international assignments. Competitive experience is crucial to improving.

However, since only one U.S. pair team can make the Olympics, it will likely be the Scinierims, unless they are completely awful at Nationals, which I doubt will happen. The biggest question will be whether Chris can manage to rotate and consistently land his sbs jumps. I also wonder if Alexa/Chris will try for throw quad twist, or simply work more on fine-tuning, polishing and being consistent.

Last edited:

Jojo13

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I'm so overwhelmed by Deanna & Nates progress, I'm feeling verklempt. :wuzrobbed Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic, Skate Detroit. :coffee:

The mistakes are there but she's putting her heart into this, that's why they're progressing so quickly. The lutzes were great, there's no need to attempt a 4salchow after splatting on your twist, but they did it anyways. :kickass: I hope that we get to see them skating for another quad, the improvements are mind boggling. She's turned herself into a world class pairs skater in one year, 16 years after stepping away from singles skating. COP, so on and so forth. It's incredible!! :cheer2:

Jojo13

I'm so overwhelmed by Deanna & Nates progress, I'm feeling verklempt. :wuzrobbed talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic, Skate Detroit. :coffee:

The mistakes are there but she's putting her heart into this, that's why they're progressing so quickly. The lutzes were great, there's no need to attempt a 4salchow after splatting on your twist, but they did it anyways. :kickass: I hope that we get to see them skating for another quad, the improvements are mind boggling. She's turned herself into a world class pairs skater in one year, 16 years after stepping away from singles skating. COP, so on and so forth. It's incredible!! :cheer2:
To see them skate their programs in person is even better. Deanna has definitely stepped into the role of s pair skater beautifully. And their side by side 3lutz was great. Once they iron out the kinks it will be a fight at the top. I am looking forward to watching this event at nationals. Should get intetesting

aftershocks

Banned Member
Well, I do agree @Karpenko. I added to my previous post to say that after seeing Deanna/Nate's full fp, I think they came back very well from the two falls. And falling on an attempted throw quad is not considered a bad fall. The throw 3-twist fall was a bit of an off-balance fluke they will need to put behind them by not letting it affect their confidence on that element going forward.

It's definitely ambitious to go for the quad-throw. :eek: And also sbs 3-lutzes. :respec: They've got a lot of grit and gumption. I do also see that they are working on their speed and polishing moves. It takes time, and they are certainly rushing ahead with purpose and desire. Meanwhile, they are very enjoyable to watch.

Deardorff/Settlage look promising and well-matched. But as to be expected, the fp showed up their newness as a team and exposed more of the areas they need to work on: as a new pairs girl, Deardorff needs to improve her entry and positions on her death spiral. She's a bit stiff; she needs to relax her body and her free arm more. Plus her leg positions on wide leg overhead lift need to improve. It's obvious she's trying to gain a comfort level on a number of moves, as a newbie to pairs.

Good luck to all the competitors.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Deanna/Nate need to have their Wiki pages updated to reflect their current partnership with program details!

I must say that I really like Deanna/Nate's fp a bit better than their sp this season. Last season, their sp was magical. Perhaps they should have kept their sp from last season. This year's is okay, but it seems more set up for prep from one element to another rather than telling a story the way last year's sp did. I suspect they felt like moving forward though in order to incorporate more difficult elements, and keep last year's sp success as a special memory.

Anyway, Mark Pillay did a wonderful job with their fp choreo. Perhaps some fine-tuning is in order for the sp? I love their new lifts in both programs, and there are nice moments in both programs. But I see more going on in the fp that I really like (Pillay has done excellent pairs choreo previously, in particular for former Canadian pair Kirsten/Dylan).

Deanna is amazing in how she picked up all these new pair moves so quickly, gracefully and fearlessly. Hopefully, they are able to execute everything better and consistently as the season progresses. Amanda Evora was so superb in difficult lifts with partner Mark Ladwig. Evora must be helping Deanna/Nate with lift tips. That last lift in the fp covered so much ice with variation in positions. It was great.

Last edited:

jkl

After watching the Pairs compete at Skate Detroit (I was there). I can truthfully say that I believe Sarah Feng and TJ Nyman have "it". They were very strong technically but it is their magical movement across the ice that is most memorable. Their artistry is so strong. What is so remarkable is the fact that TJ has only been doing Pairs for 3 months. They are JGP eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information