From Russia with love [#27]: Summer 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xela M

Yes, I am serious. No disrespect to B&S. I have always wanted them to do well, and was heart broken for them when they missed worlds in 2016.

Realistically, the first two medals are locked. Theoretically the bronze is up for grab, but is it really? In ice dance 1.45 points difference is big. This is not pairs, where big elements can make a big difference. B&S's competition will be- 1) Shibs who won the silver and bronze the last two years, 2) Chock & Bates who already have a world silver and a bronze, 3) next in line - number 2 Canadians, who were expected to become gold contenders (but have fallen off the radar), 4) European champions C&L (they are beatable), 5) number 3 US team H&D (politically weak, as most number 3's are).

I don't count out K&S because they could improve and challenge B&S within Russia (though I hope B&S win the RN).

That's a lot of competition. I think if one of the teams at 3 or 4 or 5 makes mistakes, B&S may sneak in for number 4. As Russia!s number one, their chances for 5 or 6 are much better, realistically speaking. In ice dance there are fewer surprises than in the other 3 disciplines.

I agree with this. The podium is locked between V&M, P&C, Shibs and C&B. There is absolutely zero chance in my view for B&S to break through.

Marta24

I agree with this. The podium is locked between V&M, P&C, Shibs and C&B. There is absolutely zero chance in my view for B&S to break through.
I wouldn`t rule out Weaver/Poje. That 4th place made me quiet optimistic that there is still a chance for them. For B/S it really will depend if Zhulin finally managed to give them good Olympic programs.

Xela M

It just means Russia politics in dance - if any exists- is not powerful at all anymore! First time ever no medal at pre Olympic worlds in dance. The message is adopt North American school. Become North American. Train in North America.

But it's not like B&S's skating is the classic Russian school of dance of old. B&S would never have made it out of Russia in the good old days

DobrinFan

can someone translate or just summarzie the main parts? thanks so much.

Well it doesn't say she will not compete this season. It says she will participate in a festival, "Art of Sports," that's promotes the art of acrobatics, aerial gymnastics and circus disciplines at the end of September. Then there is a note stating the info was originally posted on VK but later removed.

J

Jeschke

Well it doesn't say she will not compete this season. It says she will participate in a festival, "Art of Sports," that's promotes the art of acrobatics, aerial gymnastics and circus disciplines at the end of September. Then there is a note stating the info was originally posted on VK but later removed.
Thanks.
I never was a Lip fan, but I am a sucker for comeback, so I would like to see her around a bit longer.

lala

Thanks...I don't believe she will compete..Look at her! She is overweight and she will work in that project...She couldn't do that with training

hanca

Values her privacy
I don't believe that she will compete either. But as much as I feel it is sad that we won't see her any more competing, there are so many ladies that I would like to have their chance, so maybe it is better that Lipnitskaya is not coming back. She has got a gold medal from the Olympics, her Schindlers list program will be remembered and no one can take away her accomplishments. She achieved within a relatively short time more than many skaters achieved within their much longer careers.

caseyedwards

But it's not like B&S's skating is the classic Russian school of dance of old. B&S would never have made it out of Russia in the good old days
This is an interesting point but people thought if Russia worked for an ice dance team that now has won 7 national titles they would medal easily at worlds! I mean what's a 7 time national champion of Russia without many euro and world titles?

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
The moment Lipnitskaya created in Sochi goes beyond figure skating. She became the face of those Olympics. It's unfortunate that her career after that didn't go the way she/her fans would have wanted, but I'm sure post skating life will go well for her based just on being the "girl in the red coat". That aside she was a major force as a junior and medaled at GPF, Euros, and worlds during her first eligible season.

I know Sotnikova, and If you want to be generous, Leonova can be given credit as the original Russian wunderkind, but Lipnitskaya with that competitive grit she used to have is the original IMO :)

Tinami Amori

our dreams are over Lipnitskaya wont skate in this season...
She could not this season, even if she wanted to. She would need to get back into skating shape.
https://s0.rbk.ru/v6_top_pics/resized/945xH/media/img/7/05/754978555657057.jpg
http://cdn-st1.rtr-vesti.ru/p/xw_1418990.jpg

I hope she will now find time and desire to visit her estranged Jewish father in Israel.

He’s been asking to meet with her for several years now, explaining to her that he did not abandon them, but while serving in the army in Chechnya and severely wounded, lost contact with her mother whom moved to another town.
http://www.woman.ru/stars/medley1/article/197480/
https://dni.ru/sport/2017/4/14/366726.html

Maybe she can now skate to “Schindlers List” exhibition with Star of David instead of a Cross on her neck, without a doubt… :lol:

hanca

Values her privacy
She could not this season, even if she wanted to. She would need to get back into skating shape.
https://s0.rbk.ru/v6_top_pics/resized/945xH/media/img/7/05/754978555657057.jpg
http://cdn-st1.rtr-vesti.ru/p/xw_1418990.jpg

I hope she will now find time and desire to visit her estranged Jewish father in Israel.

He’s been asking to meet with her for several years now, explaining to her that he did not abandon them, but while serving in the army in Chechnya and severely wounded, lost contact with her mother whom moved to another town.
http://www.woman.ru/stars/medley1/article/197480/
https://dni.ru/sport/2017/4/14/366726.html

Maybe she can now skate to “Schindlers List” exhibition with Star of David instead of a Cross on her neck, without a doubt… :lol:
Her father had so many years to find her if he wanted. It is not hard to find someone who is not hiding. But it seems he started searching only after she became famous.

Tinami Amori

Her father had so many years to find her if he wanted. It is not hard to find someone who is not hiding. But it seems he started searching only after she became famous.
In the interview, the Father explained that when he was summoned to the army, he did not know about the pregnancy. Just for sake of an argument, the Mother could have sent a note to the local army head-office; if any thing, Russian authorities are pretty strict on making a man responsible for alimony to avoid state support for the child. Who knows what really happened, it's their words. I do hope Julia at least meets her father. It's good to know "your 2nd producer" even to find out he is no good.

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
I want what you had! :rofl:

Blue Dream...

I only say that because she won junior worlds in 2009 :shuffle: . But then again that was also the year Sotnikova won senior nationals and kick started the wave of talented Russian ladies

Cherub721

YEAH!
Blue Dream...

I only say that because she won junior worlds in 2009 :shuffle: . But then again that was also the year Sotnikova won senior nationals and kick started the wave of talented Russian ladies

Leonova was also the first of the group to medal at worlds, in 2012. She and Makarova also kept three spots before the other ladies aged up. It's absolutely valid to say that she was the precursor to the current boom.

Eislauffan

In the interview, the Father explained that when he was summoned to the army, he did not know about the pregnancy. Just for sake of an argument, the Mother could have sent a note to the local army head-office; if any thing, Russian authorities are pretty strict on making a man responsible for alimony to avoid state support for the child. Who knows what really happened, it's their words. I do hope Julia at least meets her father. It's good to know "your 2nd producer" even to find out he is no good.

Who knows if that man is really her father. A poster commented under the article that he is a fake and pointed out that the two wars in Chechnya do not match with Julia's birthday timewise. The first war took place 1994-1996 (so two years before Julia was born in June 1998. The second war started in 1999, so after Julia was born. This is a good point.
However, the same poster also claimed that the whole story with the father was made up by Julia's former coach Eteri Tutberidze and her team, which seems highly unlikely.

I like Julia a lot and would have loved to see her come back if this is what she really wants and if she enjoys it. In any case she can look back at a successful career (World Junior Champion, European Champion, World silver medalist, Olympic gold medalist with the team and really making an impact in Sochi), so she got almost the maximum out of her career and also left a legacy.

Tinami Amori

Who knows if that man is really her father. A poster commented under the article that he is a fake and pointed out that the two wars in Chechnya do not match with Julia's birthday timewise. The first war took place 1994-1996 (so two years before Julia was born in June 1998. The second war started in 1999, so after Julia was born. This is a good point.
However, the same poster also claimed that the whole story with the father was made up by Julia's former coach Eteri Tutberidze and her team, which seems highly unlikely.

- Just in brief. http://www.eg.ru/sport/65345/

- The neighbor of Lipnitsky's old apartment recognized him (on the foto, in the article) and confirmed,
and even gave her version of the "old story of their romance".

- Julia and Mother never denied he is the father nor claimed he is an impostor; they simply reject to address the issue (their right). Usually in such situations in Russia, an adult child immediately denies relationship with a long-lost parent if they think he/she is an impostor. Why? Because in Russian Family Law an adult child is financially responsible for a retired elderly parent, if such parent has no means of support and would become a "burden on government budget". The responsibility can be argued if the parent in question did not contribute financially to the child's expenses while he/she was under-aged; but it can be argued if one of the parents, usually the mother, did not inform father of the existence of the child.
Civil Code #87. http://www.allpravo.ru/diploma/doc39p0/instrum633/item638.html

The father was not recruited into the army directly to Chechnya; he was recruited in early 1998 and later ended up in Chechnya, in 1999.

The City Administration of Ekaterinburg/Sverdlovsk Region, made an effort to find him as well, and to shame him for missing alimony payments all these years. The father said that "Julia's mother was a proud feisty woman, she chose not to inform me of her pregnancy, i had no idea i had a child, until i watched 2014 Olympics and started to suspect, based on all the info suddenly available about Julia and Mother".

I personally think it was a typical situation. He had an affair with a young woman, then went to the army, did not make contact for a long time, the woman was pregnant, but deeply offended that he did not make contact, and being proud like many women in her case decided "you can't force love, i won't beg, will raise child alone". There are 1000 stories and songs in Russia just about that... :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8w_oRf5MbU

.. and for the record, i am not suggesting Julia should hug and kiss him and pretend he is family. Just meeting him, i think would be good for her.

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
She left her mark on skating and will always be remembered for her spins. There isn't a person in the world who hasn't gasped at seeing her layback spin.

European champ, Olympic gold, World silver, Spielberg, etc.

I wish her nothing but happiness, she's a star and seems like a :kickass: person as well. I won't give up on a comeback from her until the 2026 Olympics have concluded. #DeannaStellato #itsneverover

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
With Lipnitskaya (and Sotnikova?) not competing, that should make Konstantinova the odds-on favorite for the COR TBD.

Perky Shae Lynn

lala

She could lose weight once she starts training. However, it's up to her if she really wants to continue competing. If her heart is t in it, I hope she finds something else that she loves to do.
Yes, but now is July...two months and will be the test skate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information