2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I wish Karen had kept her "On Golden Pond" SP too. That being said, perhaps her program choices won't be so bad with her interpretations. They may be somewhat similar but in the end, Carmen is an opera based on a Spaniard with a more flamencoesque (is that even a word??) or toreador style music - at least I think of bull fighters, Spanish gypsies and flamenco dancers whenever I hear the music from "Carmen"! And then there is the tragic aspect at the end of the opera. A tango theme brings to my mind sultry Argentine dancers from across the other side of the pond down South America way. Not necessarily similar subjects. That's why I think that with some good choreo Karen can bring some different aspects to each program. Well that's jmo anyway.

arakwafan2006

With regards to Karen, though I'm not thrilled at the music, I'm more disappointed in her using Pillay. I just don't get it. Her ability is beyond his imagination if you ask me. I don't have a problem with a young skater or old skater skating to a warhorse if it's their decision. If a young skater heard the music and loved it, it's important to remember that they likely don't have a battle of the Carmen's reference, not first person anyway and should not be bound so some moral code to not disappoint long time fans. It's their career so if it's their dream music, I'm all for it.

If it's the choreographer that picked the music and have no plan on bringing a Virtue and Moir type of blood to a warhorse, well that pisses me off. Even Michelle Kwan, though she did not bring anything new to Tosca, she performed it better than anyone and made it into something iconic. Jonathan Cassar seems to at least think outside the box and come up with a different point of view. I really wish Karen would have went to Camerlengo.

VGThuy

With regards to Karen, though I'm not thrilled at the music, I'm more disappointed in her using Pillay. I just don't get it. Her ability is beyond his imagination if you ask me. I don't have a problem with a young skater or old skater skating to a warhorse if it's their decision. If a young skater heard the music and loved it, it's important to remember that they likely don't have a battle of the Carmen's reference, not first person anyway and should not be bound so some moral code to not disappoint long time fans. It's their career so if it's their dream music, I'm all for it.

If it's the choreographer that picked the music and have no plan on bringing a Virtue and Moir type of blood to a warhorse, well that pisses me off. Even Michelle Kwan, though she did not bring anything new to Tosca, she performed it better than anyone and made it into something iconic. Jonathan Cassar seems to at least think outside the box and come up with a different point of view. I really wish Karen would have went to Camerlengo.

I agree with all of this, but I'm willing to give Pillay a chance just because people can surprise us. Also, love your avatar!

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
Given who else has had a SP to Tango de Roxanne I actually feel that it's a smart choice, because if she 1. Makes the Olympic team and 2. Skates that SP lights out in S. Korea I can imagine the crowd cheering like crazy for the homage to the queen :p

That LP though....eh, at least it's not phantom.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
When you put it that way, :judge:get that crowd on your side Karen! :cheer: what a duh moment, thank you. :kickass: I would rather Danse Macabre but that'll do fine.

jmtfti

I agree with all of this, but I'm willing to give Pillay a chance just because people can surprise us. Also, love your avatar!

Although Chen's musical selections are pretty rote, Pillay's tended to run with more unusual pieces in his work (particularly that with pairs, like Bjork's "Oh So Quiet" for Ziegler/Kiefer, Moore-Tower/Moscovitch's very popular MicMacs which, at the time, was pretty novel), which could also mean that standard music = different take. He's got quite a significant orientation towards modern dance, which with someone like Chen, might result in a similar choreographic tack because she does seem to be capable of it.

clairecloutier

^^ Yes, I'm kind of intrigued to see what Pillay does for Karen. He's done some good programs. I liked his work with Kirsten Moore-Towers. Pillay was also Dornbush's choreographer, and I liked most of Dornbush's programs.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
misskarne in April: "Last year we didn't even get a rumour of Max's FS til July, and no confirmation til August, it'll be the same this year I'm sure, I am zen calm and ready to wait."

misskarne in late July: "OH COME ON MAX THROW US A SCRAP. A HINT. A 10 SECOND SNIPPET. SOMETHING. ANYTHING. ANYONE?!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: Olympic off-season #firstworldproblems

J

Jeschke

^^ Yes, I'm kind of intrigued to see what Pillay does for Karen. He's done some good programs. I liked his work with Kirsten Moore-Towers. Pillay was also Dornbush's choreographer, and I liked most of Dornbush's programs.
Vartmann/Blommaerts stunning short of 2015/16 was also done by Pillay. I like his work, but I totally dislike Chens music choices.

Tavi

I've been waiting for someone to use this version of Habanera since vocals were permitted in competition. (No idea who the singer or who did the arrangement though). I could see Karen totally rocking the hell out of that.

I don't recognize the singer either, but I do know that most of that music is not from Carmen - only the vocal tracks are. If I had to guess, I'd say she had someone compose the rest of it.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
misskarne in April: "Last year we didn't even get a rumour of Max's FS til July, and no confirmation til August, it'll be the same this year I'm sure, I am zen calm and ready to wait."

misskarne in late July: "OH COME ON MAX THROW US A SCRAP. A HINT. A 10 SECOND SNIPPET. SOMETHING. ANYTHING. ANYONE?!"

:lol: :lol: :lol: Olympic off-season #firstworldproblems

:saint: #sufferon #holdyourbreath #patyourhead #countto1000000000 #getreadyforit

You'll find out soon enough...:p

:gallopin1:gallopin1 #Iknowandwontsayadamnthing #ever

I hate it when people say they know music choices but never say anything. And never will. :summer: enjoy the summer @misskarne :40beers:

Last edited:

screech

Didn't realize this wasn't already posted in this thread, but Grant Hochstein is skating to:

SP: "Your Song" from Moulin Rouge
LP: "All I Ask of You" and "Music of the Night" from Phantom of the Opera with the latter sung by Colm Wilkinson.

http://figureskatersonline.com/news...chstein-at-the-beginning-of-his-final-season/
FINALLY someone not skating to Gerard Butler. If it can't be Michael Crawford, then Colm Wilkinson (who actually originated the role) is a damn good choice.

Though why are people now choosing the Moulin Rouge version of Your Song? I love me some Ewan McGregor, but he's no Elton John.

mag

Pillay is also, IMHO, one of the best with tango programs. He does a lot of lower level local skaters and in a number of cases has brought out massive transformations in the way the skater moves. Assuming Karen has a strong dance background to draw on, I think Pillay will come up with something really interesting. I do think that was the issue with Pillay and Max. Max simply didn't have the dance training to pull off the choreography. That is not a slight to Max (who I love!) just a fact. Probably why Max moved on to other choreographers; just not a good fit.

jenny12

Shoma. But it's a tie.

I know that they are both so musical I will find myself rooting for Karen & Shoma in competition; but for right now, I am just annoyed.

Yeah, their coaches are at fault as well for not pushing them in a different direction. I'm not sure about Shoma, but Karen made the choices herself which I understand since she's young and might not have as much breadth of musical knowledge, but it's then up to her coach to advise her differently.

Ultimately, I know that what matters is how they skate no matter what the program and I'm sure both Karen and Shoma will be lovely. It just would have been nice to hear something different, especially since I think both have the ability to effectively pull off something more original.

Last edited:

chapis

Yeah, their coaches are at fault as well for not pushing them in a different direction. I'm not sure about Shoma, but Karen made the choices herself which I understand since she's young and might not have as much breadth of musical knowledge, but it's then up to her coach to advise her differently.

For his interviews, it seems Shoma does everything his coach tells him

RockTheTassel

...she makes it very clear that it was her choices, not her coaches, many people complain that Mirai and Gracie do not choose their music (about Gracie, I do not know where they get that, I think she did not say who chose them).

This was an interview from a while ago, but I recall Mirai saying that different music options are offered to her (usually picked by the choreographer), and then she chooses from those. She also has the final say for her music. I don't know if that's still her process, but it was at one time.

I will also echo the disappointment in Karen's music choice. Even two warhorses with greater variation in style and theme (i.e., the tango SP and a Rachmaninoff LP) would be better than the tango and Carmen. She's my top choice for the Oly team next to Ashley, but her music actually makes me a little less invested in her. :shuffle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information