Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Karen Chen is signed up to perform her long in Philly.
My guess is that Karen Chen may be competing in the international part of the event (those entries are not yet up) - link to the Philadelphia Summer Championships and International competition thread (August 2-6 in Aston, PA) now started in Kiss & Cry (thanks for posting the Sr. entries, @Jozet!): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ips-international-august-3-6-aston-pa.101538/
Why no results listed for 2000, 2001?
Because a volunteer hasn't done it yet.

ETA:

Gracie Gold music news was just posted in the Programs/Choreographers thread here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...nd-choreographers.101017/page-37#post-5098303

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will

Sylvia

TBD
People are weighing in on Karen Chen's music choices in the Programs/Choreographers thread, starting here (explanation in her own words is linked in this post): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...nd-choreographers.101017/page-39#post-5099412

ETA:

Skate Detroit Senior Ladies SP took place on Thursday.
Group A top 3: Hicks 63.13, Nagasu 58.21, Olivia Serafini 51.53
Group B top 2: Katie McBeath 52.85 & Paige Rydberg 52.27

Mirai went for and stood up on her 3A but it wasn't as good an attempt as we've seen on Instagram (re-posting this fan cam link from her fan thread): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQMzJo84b3Y

Last edited:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I'm a total snob about "The Lady Califf" because of Elena & Anton, but IMO Courtney is much improved. Much softer, better use of her arms, better fluidity, better quality of movement, better interpretation, better musical accents, better transitions, and that's a gigantic triple lutz. :kickass:

I'm pleased to see this growth from her, she's a fighter and you can see a big improvement to her skating. I just wish it were a different piece of music.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
People are weighing in on Karen Chen's music choices in the Programs/Choreographers thread, starting here (explanation in her own words is linked in this post): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...nd-choreographers.101017/page-39#post-5099412

ETA:

Skate Detroit Senior Ladies SP took place on Thursday.
Group A top 3: Hicks 63.13, Nagasu 58.21, Olivia Serafini 51.53
Group B top 2: Katie McBeath 52.85 & Paige Rydberg 52.27

Mirai went for and stood up on her 3A but it wasn't as good an attempt as we've seen on Instagram (re-posting this fan cam link from her fan thread): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQMzJo84b3Y

:(

Willin

Wow! Courtney looks great! That step sequence, in particular, looks better than we've seen in previous seasons edge and speed-wise. Her jump combos still look out of control, though, and that's always been my biggest concern with her. (Because, let's face it, you can win without amazing artistry these days)

I'm still just baffled by the focus on the 3A for Mirai. It's so unnecessary. Like, maybe instead of focusing on the 3A, she should at least think about performing the rest of the program? Some moments in that SP just seemed to be done more like a run-through (not arching her back on/holding/doing good arms on the bauer) while others seemed incredibly sloppy even on her strengths (the weak free leg on the flying camel change of edge, very off kilter on the first part of the first spin). One wonders if the 3A is making the other jumps weaker as well, as she telegraphed both of her other jumping passes.
Honestly, I love Mirai, and I want her to make that Olympic team, and that's why I hate that she's spending so much time, energy, and effort on the 3A.

Dobre

Just a reminder that during her short at Skate Detroit last season, Mirai fell on a URed 3F, popped her loop to a single, and did her double axel. Then went on to earn an SB at the Autumn Classic.

I realize she's had the program for a year now, but it is possible that she is just likely to be a mess at her first competition of the season and needs that experience prior to getting into the rest of her season.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
You never know what you're going to get with Mirai, it's part of her charm.

Just like Janny's charm is hitting her program every single time she takes the ice. :rockstar:

I think she looks great, she just loses her knee bend when she's nervous. All of her jumps go to sh!t when that happens, but the program is beautiful and more filled out than last season with choreography IMO. The lutz was nice. I also love that she brought gloves to this program before Evgenia could. :glamor:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
HICKS! :kickass:

I never thought she could pull off that music, but she does. Totally agree with @Karpenko--she looks smoother overall, while still maintaining good speed and power.

I like the commitment to the 3flip-3loop, keep at it. The lutz in the second half was gigantic.

Keep at it! Fight for the Olympics!

J

Jeschke

HICKS! :kickass:
I never thought she could pull off that music, but she does:encore:
Not! :shuffle:
It's not as frightning as I feared, but sorry, gracious Hicks just ain't! There are tons of interesting moves in the program, especially in the steps, but unfortunately I can't see them working with that music.
Dress is too short and too dark too.

I like the commitment to the 3flip-3loop, keep at it.
Kudos to that :respec: So much harder thanp -3t!
#andovibes

Gotta admit: 'Lady Caliph' (by B/S) is my all-time favourite figure skating program, so I am a harsh judge here. I am sorry for Hicks, I like she tries something new, I like the ideas, it just does not work with the music for me.

Btw. Zhang already announced her music? I think 'Lady Caliph' could suit her quite well!

Last edited by a moderator:

Seerek

Looks like Courtney H. is backloading her long program slightly moreso than last year.
We'll see if the strategy works out this season.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Is it Lady Caliph or Lady Califf? I made a video to this music a few years ago, and I think both are acceptable, but that Lady Califf is the authentic spelling? :confused: Eh who cares

I don't think she does the music justice, but there's no denying her massive improvement. She's still not Elena Berezhnaya, but I do like her a lot more than others. She seems like a really cool girl and I like her grit and attack. It's really nice to see someone address their weaknesses head-on, I hope she keeps it up!

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I'm with you, she's super talented, just looking for the right vehicle....still. I felt this music highlights her lack of extension, but it is improved and I'm hoping she can grow into this SP. I mean, it's only July.

Would love to see her do something like Moulin Rouge's Bolero, though.

vesperholly

Hicks looks really pretty and flowy. I like the music for her and I see a lot of hard work went into the choreography. I still see the same dropped hip picking on the flip, which is going to cause her a lot of trouble on the loop.

Is it Lady Caliph or Lady Califf? I made a video to this music a few years ago, and I think both are acceptable, but that Lady Califf is the authentic spelling? :confused: Eh who cares
Both, kinda: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_califfa

It's an Italian film but the Anglicized spelling is Caliph.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Mirai's SP is up as well on youtube. It looks like she attempted a 3A!

She did! It was UR and two-footed but I love that she went for it! Several mistakes in both programs but she held it together fairly well and still managed to win the FS and place second overall to Courtney. There's work to be done but not bad for July! :D I haven't seen Mirai's FS yet but it seems (going by pbps and comment's by some who have seen it) that she's going in the right direction thanks to the brilliance of Jeff Buttle! And she still has time to get even better! I did hope to see a 3A in the FS too but again it's early yet! There's time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information