1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi all! No longer will threads be closed after 1000 (ish) messages. We may close if one gets so long to cause an issue and if you would like a thread closed to start a new one after a 1000 posts then just use the "Report Post" function. Enjoy!

Worst translated Asian signs!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Jot the Dot Dot, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

2. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I love the Jerk Chicken.

3. skateycat

skateycat Minecraft Widow

I laughed so hard I think I have a stitch in my side!

paskatefan likes this.
  4. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

I hurt myself laughing!

5. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

If I saw the jerk chicken one on a menu, I'd have to order it.

(On the other hand, ALL of these folks write English way, way better than I write Chinese or their language.)

paskatefan likes this.
  6. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Are there any Asian websites making fun of westerns butchering their language?

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Take heart gkelly, at the bottom of this list, there is another one of "the 25 whitest family photos of all time".

8. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

:respec:

9. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

There might be and these might be equally funny. But you need to keep in mind that way more people who speak an Asian language also learn/speak English than vice versa.

10. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Hanzi Smatter is kind of like that, it takes user submitted photos of Chinese character tattoos and tells them what the character/phrase actually means, and if it's written correctly.

The most tragic (and frequently seen) ones are the tattoos that are based on a font in which random characters or fragments of characters were assigned to the letters A through Z :eek::scream::shuffle:

gkelly likes this.
  11. walei

walei Well-Known Member

We make fun of dumb Chinese tattoos all the time :lol:

12. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Thanks

13. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

moebius, CantALoop, gkelly and 2 others like this.
  14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting! :lol:

15. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

I like the Chinese menu that says "I can't find on google but it's delicious" For some reason, that makes it actually seem appetizing :rofl:

StitchMonkey and moebius like this.
  16. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Active Member

Not Asian in origin but I have seen some funny signs such as: in Milan "Elevator out of work", in a museum "Thank you for your coordination" and mysteriously along a road in Bulgaria "Forbidden the faultless stopping". This last one took me a while to figure out but since it was also in German and French in the end I got it. No stopping along the road unless you have a breakdown. (this was back in the Iron Curtain days when it was forbidden to leave the main highway for tourists driving through Bulgaria to Greece or Turkey.)
    What I always find amusing is how the Italians use English words with different meanings entirely. for ex. "Golf" is a pullover, "slip" is used to mean brief underpants usually male or bikini bottoms. "Smoking" is a tux. Then they often add diminutive suffixes to these words such as golfino = little pullover. etc

PS I am Italian and I am not offended....

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  17. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

The Portuguese example is interesting because the "closer" translation is actually what's written in parentheses in lighter font and not the words in bolder font highlighted in the article.

The French example is pretty much a word for word translation of the French text without any adjustment made for more understable English context.

18. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I've been living in Taiwan and my favorite "mis-translations" aren't actually translations but just use of English as a style or decoration, much like how you might find random Chinese characters on clothing without much regard given to the meaning. My favorite thing to do is browse the local "cheap" clothing store and find the weirdest English shirts out there. I've found a few doozies, like a shirt that had "vector illustration" written on top of a nice design (case of using the image file name as the description) and a really awful Simpsons knockoff that turned "Bart Simpson" into "Bwot Stirfson".

As seen, Westerners have abused the Chinese language for YEARS (Chinese tattoos when you're not Chinese and have no connection to the culture? ok...) so I find it all in good fun when I seen the English language getting mangled or regarded as a novelty.