1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have updated the board style and hope you like it. If you don't, you can switch back by going to https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?misc/style Select V Bulletin 3.0 style.

Who is going to be in the Top 5 at WORLDS 2017? (Ice Dance Predictions)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by AquaLady, Feb 17, 2017.

Who is going to be in the Top 5 at WORLDS 2017? (Ice Dance Predictions)

1. Virtue/Moir

203 vote(s)
    95.3%
  2. Hubbell/Donohue

31 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. Weaver/Poje

38 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Papadakis/Cizeron

196 vote(s)
    92.0%
  5. Chock/Bates

138 vote(s)
    64.8%
  6. Gilles/Poirier

12 vote(s)
    5.6%
  7. Stepanova/Bukin

9 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. Cappellini/Lanotte

106 vote(s)
    49.8%
  9. Shibutani/Shibutani

192 vote(s)
    90.1%
  10. Bobrova/Soloviev

87 vote(s)
    40.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AquaLady

AquaLady Active Member

With all the major international competitions finished, WORLDS is right at the corner! Who is going to be in the Top 5 at WORLDS 2017? (Ice Dance Predictions)

2. gk_891

gk_891 Well-Known Member

I went with V&M, P&C, S&S, C&B, and W&P.

3. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

My predictions:

01 Virtue & Moir
    02 Papadakis & Cizeron
    03 Shibutani & Shibutani
    04 Bobrova & Soloviev
    05 Chock & Bates

06 Cappellini & Lanotte
    07 Weaver & Poje
    08 Hubbell & Donohue
    09 Gilles & Poirier
    10 Stepanova & Bukin

4. taz'smum

taz'smum Well-Known Member

My predictions:
    1. V/M
    2. P/C
    3. S/S
    4. C/L
    5. B/S

6. C/B
    7. H/D
    8. W/P
    9. G/P
    10. G/F

11. T/T
    12. S/B
    13. FB/S
    14. K/S
    15. N/N

5. DimaToe

DimaToe El Chen-te Fernández

1.Virtue/Moir
    2.Shibutanis (yeah I went there :EVILLE:)
    3.Papadakis/Cizeron
    4.Bobrova/Soloviev
    5.Capellini/Lanotte
    6.Chock/Bates
    7.Hubbell/Donahue
    8.Weaver/Poje
    9.Gilles/Porier
    10.between Israelis,Italy #2 and RUS #2. I think/hope Tobias is gonna get it.

6. douglasottawa

douglasottawa Banned Member

You might as well exclude Virtue & Moir, Shibutanis, Papadakis & Cizeron from the poll since we all know those will be top 5 even if 1 or 2 somehow dropped off the podium in an upset. Who will be the remaining 2 in the top 5?

I would guess Bobrova & Soloviev and Capelllini & Lanotte. Chock & Bates are going down despite the USFSA backing of them as their ridiculous FD score at Nationals proves. Hubbell & Donohue are suffering from the USFSA stupidity in holding onto C&B over them, and Weaver & Poje are DONE as contender. I agree with DimaToe's rankings above for the most part, except I think P&C will likely be 2nd over the Shibs, and could even upset Virtue & Moir for gold. I expect we will see a way stronger P&C at worlds than we saw at NHK, GPF, or Europeans. That is their norm peak for worlds. V&M cant get any better than they are now, so as unbeatable as they look they become vurnerable to an improving P&C who clearly havent shown their best once this season yet.

Areski likes this.
  7. PurpleRain

PurpleRain Active Member

What I would want to happen (Obviously not possible):
    #1- Virtue/Moir
    #2- Hubbell/Donohue
    #3- Cappellini/Lanotte
    #4- Weaver/Poje
    #5- Stepanova/Bukin
    #6- Shibutani/Shibutani
    #7- Chock/Bates
    #8- Gilles/Poirier
    #9- Papadakis/Cizeron
    #10- Bobrova/Soloviev

What would most likely happen:
    #1- Virtue/Moir
    #2- Papadakis/Cizeron
    #3- Shibutani/Shibutani
    #4- Chock/Bates
    #5- Cappellini/Lanotte
    #6- Hubbell/Donohue
    #7- Bobrova/Soloviev
    #8- Weaver/Poje
    #9- Gilles/Poirier
    #10- Stepanova/Bukin
    *5,6,7 could flip flop depending on who's having a good day.

Aaron MB Fan, Audrey177 and Golden1 like this.
  8. douglasottawa

I dont see what indication you have of Chock & Bates likely being 4th at worlds. They have already lost to C&L 3 out of 4 meetings this year, and their only win being at Skate Canada where C&L had a very weak outing and lost to G&P. Bobrova & Soloviev have won all their meetings with C&B this year. I dont like them so maybe I am not fully objective, but I see no reason to expect them to be that high, even if they somehow sneak as high as 5th. They are also now firmly U.S #2 and really have no chance to medal this year, so USFSA wont politik for them as much as the past, particularly since they need to for their women and men too.

Bobrova & Soloviev and Capellini & Lanotte are clear #1 dance team of their countries and will receive much more political help behind the scenes. C&L and maybe Kostner (but Kostner is a real long shot) are the only medal shots for Italy too so C&L will get tons of support, while Russia wont even bother with their ladies much since Evgenia doesnt even need it, they dont care much about Anna and never have, and that is it.

Areski likes this.
  9. PurpleRain

PurpleRain Active Member

USFS is undoubtedly pushing Chock/Bates. The fact that they placed c/b ahead of s/s in the FD at nats ( :blah: ) speaks for itself. I predict that there will be a very evident push for Bobrova/Soloviev at Worlds too...but c/l and h/d are notable in the international scene. Results will depend on who the tech panel will be and as stated above, who's having a good day. The russian fed tries really hard lol. They have to tho. Russia is not gonna win an Olympic medal in ice dance for the first time next year.

Areski and douglasottawa like this.
  10. douglasottawa

Fair enough. I still think C&L and B&S beat C&B at worlds though when they have been beating them all season. Why would it change. Both are better teams, and even if USFSA push overrated C&B, C&L and B&S are pushed by their feds even more easily as Rus. and Ita. clear #1.

Areski and PurpleRain like this.
  11. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

P/C V/M S/S C/L C/B or B/S Judges seem to have dumped W/P big time:(

I think P/C will win:p They will have improved their SD but will win the FD.

12. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

P/C V/M S/S B/S C/B

13. PurpleRain

PurpleRain Active Member

I don't think so. Their SD has not been doing well in international comps lately. As for the FD, V/M have something very special... A sense of maturity in their programs that P/C lack. V/M are one in a million. Their skating speaks to me and P/C's skating doesn't. Not saying they suck, cause they obviously don't, having been world champions... But it's all subjective.

14. douglasottawa

I think P&C will be much stronger at worlds than they have been anytime this season so far. Whether that gets them the win or not, who knows, but I expect it will be alot closer. V&M are already doing as good as they can. P&C and to a lesser degree the Shibutanis and some of the secondary contenders can still improve.

Rukia, Areski and nuge like this.
  15. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I misread this thread and I thought it was asking which teams would make the final flight at Worlds, and was only thinking about the SDs. I see I can't change my vote. Oh well.

16. douglasottawa

Do you expect someone who makes the final flight to lose their top 5 position, and if so who and to who? Just curious.

17. VIETgrlTerifa

My top five in the SD were: V/M; Shibs; P/C; B/S; and C/L only because I see two hip hops and three swings. I think C/B; H/D; G/P; and W/P could potentially move up after the FD. It seems there has been movement in ice dance from the SD to FD...at least a lot more than usual this season. I don't know if I see C/L making a similar error that they did at last year's worlds and with that last minute call that changed the SD standings, I bet they are going to be extra careful in the SD at this Worlds. C/B's SD is a great vehicle for them, but they've been consistently losing in the SD all season. G/P might have another surprise top 5 placement after the SD like they did at last year's Worlds and their FD is great material to see in the final flight.

18. douglasottawa

I agree with all that, although I think the top 5 in the SD you listed will both be top 5 in the SD and the final top 5 too. Chock & Bates FD has been more competitive than their SD this season so could definitely be out of top 5 in SD and climb to it in the FD, but I have already said upthread I expect C&L and B&S to beat them overall still as they have in most meetings this year. I dont see W&P in the top 5 this year, and I definitely dont see a top 5 finish for Gilles & Poirier despite their being more of a threat than last. The field is just too stacked for them to make top 5, but they might even finish over W&P.

Hubbell & Donohue I think could be the reverse, top 5 in the SD and lose that spot in the FD. They seem more competitive in the SD than FD this year.

19. VIETgrlTerifa

Which is funny because their FD is the program that has been much better received by the audiences and the judges so far. It seems like the problems are that they have had execution issues with the FD and different comps have other teams hitting it in the FD, thus making it more difficult for H/D to move up or stay in the same placement.

20. douglasottawa

Their twizzles have been shaky a few times which surprise me as they usually have the best twizzles in the world along with the Shibs. If they fix this maybe they can sneak into top 5 and/or beat out C&B as 2nd American. I really hope so, I am a huge fan. They are probably my current favorite team.

21. AquaLady

AquaLady Active Member

I find it so ironic. At the start of the season, everybody was so in love with their FD and hated their SD... Now, it seems like their SD is doing them more favors than their FD... Which is so sad because their FD this season is beyond special. Problem is they haven't been skating at their best lately. They really, really, really have to step up at Worlds.

22. MAXSwagg

MAXSwagg Well-Known Member

Well, that makes sense since P/C are only 21/22! To me, V/M look dated in comparison...

TheresMaude likes this.
  23. Simone411

Simone411 I'm Clippy. I love Ashley and Janny!

I like your thinking. I went there, too, with the Shibutanis. I say why not. They've been awesome this season. Whoop!

danafan and Cayuse like this.
  24. yurokis40

yurokis40 Well-Known Member

V&M will win easily the always give their best performances when it counts the most like worlds , P&C probably won't even be second after the sd a couple of teams can easily place ahead of them there if they are say 3 points behind V&M after the sd game over unless Tessa and Scott make a major mistake or a fall in the fd.

25. text_skate

text_skate Well-Known Member

I think, it will be close between V/M and P/C for 1st and 2nd. Both pairs peak usually at Worlds and have a good connection with the audiance, which is important, too. Judges on their side anyhow.

I guess S/S will end in 3rd. The judges like them, I find them a little boring, but I love their music for FD this season and they are very consistent and have an advantage in TES over the other teams like C/L, B/S, C/B, W/P, H/D. Eventually federation mathematics will come into place, when all the pairs go clean. I would bet on C/L and B/S to place 4th and 5th respectively. As I'm not so goog in federation mathematics, I wouldn't count C/B out.

As we've seen all season: The ice is slippery, with and without twizzles. When the season continues as started, my guess is: twizzles will decide

Areski likes this.
  26. VIETgrlTerifa

The callers will have all the power to determine the results, unless a repeat of last year's Worlds happens again and they mark almost everyone with all level 4s, then the judges will have ultimate power again barring obvious mistakes from the teams. ;)

27. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

P/C can't afford to be 2nd to V/M after the SD or it's over. They got away with it before when they were facing inferior teams but against V/M or D/W if they were still skating both of those teams are too good to give up a lead to anyone including P/C.

28. MAXSwagg

MAXSwagg Well-Known Member

PapCiz won't win. Judges decided at the beginning of the season that V/M will win Worlds and it's likely been decided they will win the Olympics. It doesn't matter what any team does; judges and/or the technical panel will simply mark V/M better. They could switch one of their programs to that atrocious and embarrassing Justin Bieber ex and judges would still give them 80+ SD or 118+ FD.

29. PurpleRain

PurpleRain Active Member

What makes you say that? If I remember correctly, at the beginning of the season, there were more doubters than believers... But now that V/M has come out with programs that show they're deserving of the gold, people say this. BRUH. Come on. Give them some credit. Haters gonna hate, but they're Olympic champions for a reason.

feraina, Aaron MB Fan, Areski and 6 others like this.
  30. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Maybe if P/C are a point or two behind maybe it will not be too much to catch up .P/C have a great FD and will be even better at worlds.Hopefully they have been changing and working on the SD so we will see:p