1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who has the best chance of beating Medvedeva to win Worlds in 2017

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Vash01, Jan 22, 2017.

Who has the best chance of beating Medvedeva to win worlds in 2017?

Poll closed Apr 22, 2017.
  1. Ashley Wagner

9 vote(s)
    4.6%
  2. Karen Chen

4 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. Carolina Kostner

8 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. Satoko Miyahara

18 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. Kaetlyn Osmond

66 vote(s)
    33.8%
  6. Anna Pogorilaya

81 vote(s)
    41.5%
  7. #3 US lady on World team

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  8. Other

8 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Yuzuru, Medvedeva, T&M, Shibs, P&C

Right now Medvedeva seems to be the early favorite to win the worlds in Helsinki, but she has lots of challengers this year. Who has the best chance of beating her and winning the world title in 2017?

2. MAXSwagg

MAXSwagg Well-Known Member

No one has a chance at beating her unless she makes mistakes. If she skates clean, she will win no matter what. And Kostner is a choice? Now that is very funny. Kostner won't even be on the podium. So I guess my choice is "other" ("other" as in no one).

AxelAnnie, skatepixie and skateboy like this.
  3. pinky166

pinky166 #teamtrainwreck #teamdiva

Pogo :kickass:

But honestly probably no one.

Maybe Chen because her name includes Chen and she's now the US Chenpion?

AxelAnnie, haribobo and sweetsparky like this.
  4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Miyahara actually gets really close to Medvedeva sometimes. She didn't beat her by that much. She needs Medvedeva to single a jump. Almost unimaginable.

Areski and watchthis!! like this.
  5. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Pogo. Maybe. But no one I think.

6. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

She's clearly the favorite, but that's a shame because she is not that better than the others.
    I hope everyone will skate cleanly and that the competition will be close.

7. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Well-Known Member

It always comes down to the jumps and she's got em, and she's got em under pressure. She IS that good. She hasn't been around long enough to be a sentimental favorite but she is what previous champions except Shizuka are made of.

Sasha'sSpins likes this.
  8. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

^yeah Med has a mental toughness that I don't see in anyone else in the current field. But if somoeone is poised to beat her, it is Pogo. Judges do seem to like big jumpers these days.

Areski, Sasha'sSpins, Hanna and 3 others like this.
  9. zigzig

zigzig Well-Known Member

Med would have to bite it big time to lose to anyone - the judges will happily forgive her for a mistake with a PCS/GOE safety net. And why not? She's a great jumper, is developing a distinct, signature style (and even though a lot of people hate it, her style is something she really owns) and delivers under pressure again and again. She also seems to have a great personality to boot and commands every performances.

But enough gushing - I think if Med made enough mistakes for someone to walk through the door it would be Satoko with a lenient caller.

10. Vash01

She IS that much better because she is mentally tough and she has the jumps. Many skaters have talent. How many can perform consistently well under pressure?

Areski and Sasha'sSpins like this.
  11. jiejie

jiejie Well-Known Member

If she's on and 100% clean on both programs--Kaetlyn Osmond. Bigger jumper than Med, quality of everything else comparable or balancing out, IMO better performance quality than Med. But two mistake free programs is a tall order....actually for everyone except Satoko, it's a tall order.

12. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone can. But if anyone COULD, it would probably be Kaetlyn. If, as @jiejie said, she went absolutely clean.

13. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

IMO the only person who can beat Medvedeva is Medvedeva herself. If she hits everything in her program, everyone else is skating for silver.

That isn't to say I think she actually deserves some of the marks she gets, but it is the reality.

Areski and AxelAnnie like this.
  14. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

No one.

Kasey likes this.
  15. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I went with Osmond for the reasons stated above. Huge, gorgeous jumps, big power, and that performance aspect that just works.

Areski likes this.
  16. chantilly

chantilly Well-Known Member

The problem with Osmond is she's missing a triple jump isn't she in her LP.
    I think she currently is doing one lutz.
    However I personally feel if she is a 100% on her GOE's should be better as well as her PCS.
    Medvedeva wins based on her consistency and back loading of her programmes, plus all the tanos.
    Her skating skills IMO aren't that great, nor is her choreo or execution sometimes but she's just that "good" enough to be unbeatable IMO.
    Osmond could easily claim silver if clean.
    And I think she should beat Med in the SP.
    That SP is the best SP in a long while.

17. honey

honey Well-Known Member

@chantilly Kaetlyn is now attempting all the triples in her LP. She added the loop into the program starting last year. Now to the questioning of landing it...well, that's another matter. In her major events this season, so far she's fallen on it 3 times and landed it twice (Finlandia and GPF).

Areski likes this.
  18. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Honestly, no one does. It's all in Evgenia's hands. I feel she is unbeatable right now.

Sasha'sSpins likes this.
  19. Ka3sha

Ka3sha Well-Known Member

Osmond and theoretically Pogo but as she is only Rus#2 (or even #3 after Nats) that won't happen

Areski and dinakt like this.
  20. screech

screech Well-Known Member

She's doing one lutz, but 2 flips and 2 toes (and executed better). As was mentioned above, the loop is new, and she hasn't been too successful with it, but she is doing all of the triples (aside from the axel) in her LP now.

barbarafan likes this.
  21. Aerobicidal

Aerobicidal Make America TAT Again

Nathan Chen.

22. DreamSkates

DreamSkates Well-Known Member

Pogo maybe, or possibly Osmond if either skates clean and has added something to their programs. Med is not a machine and could make mistakes - I've seen 2 this year. Ya never know. But I wouldn't be surprised if she wins yet again. Her scores seem to be going up just enough to stay ahead of others' rising scores.

Areski likes this.
  23. eternitygoddess

eternitygoddess Well-Known Member

This is the exact same type of sentiment going around before the 2024 Olympics, when Yuna Kim was lauded as "undefeatable."

The ice (and politics)is slippery, is all I gotta say.

giselle23 and Sasha'sSpins like this.
  24. AngieNikodinovLove

AngieNikodinovLove Well-Known Member

Kaetlyn Osmond for the SP

Probably no one for the free. All those dang arms over the head.

manhn likes this.
  25. MAXSwagg

MAXSwagg Well-Known Member

Judges won't allow Osmond's (or anyone's) PCS to be higher than Med. Lol Are you crazy?

Sasha'sSpins likes this.
  26. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

That's my thought, too. Osmond or Pogo if they skate lights out both programs with tons of GOE, and Medvedeva makes a mistake or two (unlikely though it is).

Areski and Spun Silver like this.
  27. LilJen

LilJen Reaching out with my hand sensitively

You stole my answer.

AxelAnnie and tlk like this.
  28. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree.

However if Osmond is close after SP I'm super curious to see how she is scored if she skates clean right after Med. Chances of clean long are low, but still. Curious...

29. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Exactly my opinion. I think they are both superior skaters but Med is what the judges are on these days.

I think I may like Med more in a couple years if she is still skating but she still looks like a junior to me. I grant all the technical merit but interpretion and performance, forget it.

30. Vash01

Med is not juniorish at all. Even last year when she was just 16, she had artistic impression and maturity. I know she is not a popular skater on fsu, but she expresses music well, holds the positions and takes her time. Those are not junior level qualities. Certainly she can develop more, but the way she is, it is good enough for a win. If she falls and others state clean, the judges are not going to just give it to her. She did lose to Radionova last year, This year I didn't like her music, and the programs are very similar to last year's, but as long as she delivers she is likely to win.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017