Which 2 Russian ladies go to the Olympics with Janny?

Who will be Kelly and Michelle to Janny's Beyonce in Pyeongchang?

• Sotskova

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Pogorilaya

Votes: 61 64.9%
  • Zagitova

Votes: 61 64.9%
  • Konstantinova

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tsurskaya

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Radionova

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • Leonova

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Sotnikova

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Tuktamysheva

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • OTHER

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
This might be kind of fun? (I'm bored). :slinkaway

Let's see who FSU favors to go to the Olympics (along with Med, duh) before programs are revealed, Russian test skates, etc.

So who you got? :40beers:

Apologies to Samodurova, Kitty, and Sakhanovich--I ran out of options. Don't forget, there's always Universiade 2019! :cheer:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I picked who I wanted to go, not necessarily who I think will go. :D It was hard because I wanted more than 3.

:lol: Whoever was the optimist who picked Alena, can't say anything negative about my Adelina pick.

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I wanted to go with my heart but then I went for closer to reality. I went with Pogo and Rad. It'd be amazing if Sotnikova could've fought her way back but I think it's very unlikely. Same for Tukh. I'm not familiar with Zagitova - or at least, I don't remember her.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
I picked Zagitova and Pogo but I think Radionova, Sotskova and maybe Tuk or Tsurskaya all have a shot to make it.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Dissing Lipnitskaya right before her birthday. Harumph. :drama: Yes, I know it's the longest of long shots, and I know I'm biased, but I think she's got at least as good a chance as Sotnikova, if she decides to go for it.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Dissing Lipnitskaya right before her birthday. Harumph. :drama: Yes, I know it's the longest of long shots, and I know I'm biased, but I think she's got at least as good a chance as Sotnikova, if she decides to go for it.

I *knew* I was forgetting someone! :slinkaway

I'd love to see the retirement rumors be false and see that awesome Kill Bill LP skated to full potential...

hanca

Values her privacy
Apologies to Samodurova, Kitty, and Sakhanovich--I ran out of options. Don't forget, there's always Universiade 2019! :cheer:
No need to apologise to Samodurova, because she is not age eligible this coming season.

kwanatic

Zagitova definitely...it's a complete toss up as to who will get that 3rd spot.

My sentimental choice is Elena (because I lurve her:love:) but I think Pogo and Tsurskaya definitely have a chance. Granted we don't know what kind of mental shape Pogo will be in after the utter implosion at worlds earlier this year. And I love Tsurskaya's big easy and airy jumps but she is very injury-prone which means she might not make it through the season.

From there I think Sotskova has a good shot if she can get her consistency back (lost it toward the end of the season) and Konstantinova is good but a bit inconsistent and hasn't had as much shine as a few of the others (less rep points).

It'd be nice to see Sotnikova back but I think that ship has sailed. Plus I'd be really scared to see her in front of a South Korean audience after Sochi...no idea how she'd be received there.

If Lipnitskaya can get back on form I think she'd have a great shot at that 3rd spot...but that's a big if.

I love Tuk and Leonova but I'm very doubtful either of them will be able to do enough to get back into the top 3. Well, if Tuk can start landing 3As in the SP and FS, she may have a chance based on TES alone, but she really lacks in other areas.

IMO Russian nationals will be more interesting than the Olympics. :ROFLMAO:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I'm somewhat surprised Pogo's doing so well. I love her, but that Worlds LP was a collapse of epic proportions, and I really think she's going to struggle to put it behind her. I fear she actually may be on the next available bus to Alena Leonovaville.... :slinkaway

Wyliefan

It's impossible to say. She was having such a good season, up to that point.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I think Pogorilaya will be able to put it all behind her and deliver. She's done it before and obviously Worlds was a fluke after the season she was having to that point. I hope she totally commits to her programs next season rather than shifting between emoting and really focusing on the elements.

Zagitova has the technical ability and overall skating quality to best someone like Radionova even on a shaky day, and unless she goes through some wild growth spurt, I think she's also in excellent shape.

I'm surprised Elena is getting as much love as she is. Nothing that she's done in the last few years has shown me that she's working to address the weaknesses in her skating. In the beginning, it was okay. But the depth is really too strong now.

And BTW- I know Sotskova really gets no love here but I think she would be the 'spoiler' if there were any. I have a feeling she's going to come into next season ready to fight.

Spun Silver

I expect Pogo and Zagitova and cant quarrel with that in the least, but I am dying for Lip and Tsurskaya to make it. And Sotnikova would be a dream come true. Medvedeva is actually the least interesting of the lot (to me).

Autumn_girl

Zagitova should make it if everything goes well. She is the only one who can beat Medvedeva in TES, and that's something, also I expect her to be better packaged for the Olympic season, and that should add her points too. Another thing for her advantage is good GP assignments, she has a shot to win both events as she doesn't meet Medvedeva at any and can be seen as Russian #1 there. I think if Tsurskaya is healthy and ready, she can beat all the rest for the 3rd spot. Of course, that's a big if, but she is probably the most talented of them all with clean lines and huge beautiful jumps, and she is in Eteri's group who surely knows how to make her girls skate clean. Both her and Alina should be very consistent though, and be undeniably stronger than others, as I expect some politiking from TAT and the club for Buyanova's girls (still can't forget how Maria was held up at Nationals to beat Anna) to make the team and then for team event spots at the Olympics. Although I love Radionova and won't be upset if she makes it, but I would prefer her to do it herself. I will be happy for Anna if she makes it, but again, she should be very very consistent and skate clean all the time, any step out on the jump or messy landing at Nationals can cost her Olympic spot, especially after Worlds, and someone else can be picked instead of her easily.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I wish that Pogo, Tuk, Lip, and Radio could all go. I really don't like it when you get attached to someone's skating story, then someone brand new just swoops in and steals the show. Who do you think you are? :cautious:

Therefore, no to Zagitova and Tsurskaya. Yes to Tuk and Pogo. :bloc: :cheer: (and then Radio - but if she fixes her arms then all bets are off.)

I also refuse to give up on Lipnitskaya, but this just hasn't been her quad so I don't see her turning things around in one season. (please feel free to prove me wrong though, Yulia is my favorite Russian lady)

Wyliefan

I know Zagitova is excellent and has a great competitive record, but she's very young and Olympic season will be her first senior season. She's about to face insane amounts of pressure. Right now, on paper, she looks like a shoo-in (shoe-in? I'm never quite sure), and we don't know yet whether she thrives on pressure and eats it for breakfast like Medvedeva. So I'm hesitant to pronounce her a lock for the team just yet.

Jammers

I don't understand how people think Zagitova is a shoo-in when she's had all of one season as a Junior to her competitive record. Not only that the girl is all legs meaning that she could shoot up 3-4 inches from the last time we saw her compete at Junior Worlds then all bets are off if she starts struggling with her jumps which happens to the even the most talented skaters when they start growing.

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I hope she totally commits to her programs next season rather than shifting between emoting and really focusing on the elements.

That's my biggest issue with Pogorolaya right now, and oddly, I felt like it got worse as the season went on. Also once her weird lutz technique was pointed out on CBC (by Kurt Browning?), I now can't unsee it, and find it really distracting: the telegraphing, weird posture, and weird loop-esque toepick.

Dobre

I'm rooting for Adelina. Because I like her the best. I have zero percent hope of success. But I still like her skating & performance quality the best.

I know Sotskova really gets no love here but I think she would be the 'spoiler' if there were any. I have a feeling she's going to come into next season ready to fight.

Of all the new challenges that Tchernyshev has been given to choreograph for, I think Maria could be the most primed for a transformation in the performance department. She is far more than that sugary sweet pink thing she had last season.

I don't understand how people think Zagitova is a shoo-in when she's had all of one season as a Junior to her competitive record.

Did you watch her all season? Because I would have said the same thing after her first competition. But by the JGPF, it was very apparent that she is rock material. Russian Nationals was the bell ringer. And at Junior Worlds, she bested one of the best ladies' performances of the season.

kwanatic

I know Zagitova is excellent and has a great competitive record, but she's very young and Olympic season will be her first senior season. She's about to face insane amounts of pressure. Right now, on paper, she looks like a shoo-in (shoe-in? I'm never quite sure), and we don't know yet whether she thrives on pressure and eats it for breakfast like Medvedeva. So I'm hesitant to pronounce her a lock for the team just yet.

Zagitova had one off performance last season at her second JGP event. Beyond that she's basically been on at every other event. She's very similar to Med in terms of her consistency and competitive nerve. @Jammers is right though. There's no guarantee she won't hit a growth spurt during these summer months and if that's the case it could affect her jumps.

IMO the only thing impressive about Alina right now is her jumps but that tends to be enough to bypass some of the finer parts of skating lately. Even though Med is rather one note in terms of her programs, at least she connects and performs very well. Alina doesn't have that kind of connection right now but she could improve. It's always tough to make a prediction for these younger skaters but going by what we saw last season, Alina is the one the Russian federation is eyeing at the moment for #2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information