1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Westminster Dog Show

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Garden Kitty, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Susan1

Susan1 Well-Known Member

Really? Was it another dog show where we talked about how painful I thought it looked for the back haunches of the German Shepherd to be so low?

2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Dobies have a reputation for being scary but the one at our dog park is so sweet and friendly and Sasha seems to like him.

3. Kasey

Kasey Correcting President Trump's grammar on Twitter :)

4. rfisher

rfisher Will you rise like a phoenix or be a burnt chicken

Mine was a sweetie. They're just intimidating when they stare at people.

5. Susan1

Susan1 Well-Known Member

Relatives had one when I was a kid and when I sat on the couch, his face was even with mine. Scary! But he was really sweet. His name was Eric. I've been bitten by a Chow and a Schnauzer (long times ago). I'll still plop down on the sidewalk and talk to and pet strange dogs. Nnnnnnnot if I would ever meet a pitbull though!

I know their backs are supposed to be sloped that way. Maybe she won this year because she straightened her back legs a little more attractively and with more a winning attitude. ha ha

6. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Past Prancer's Corridor

Especially late at night when a strange one is staring at you while sitting on the porch barring entry to your own home. :wideeyes: :slinkaway

7. Susan1

Susan1 Well-Known Member

p.s. - goggie was my second word, after dada. Cousin's grandson, who is almost 14 months old, says mama, doggie and gate.

8. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

Late to the thread but :cheer: :cheer2: :cheer: :cheer2: for the German Shepard!! :dog:

Oh I just knew she was going to win! (and thought she shoulda won last year but whatever. :p ). Even though I loved the Peke and the Terrier (cause I luvs those little arf arf dogs), you could just tell that dog wanted to win! When she was standing in that entry waiting for the announcement of Best In Show to start, I pictured this thought bubble over her head that said "I.am.going.to.WIN!". :lol: She was absolutely REGAL!! Like a Queen waiting for her introduction to the adoring crowds! Absolutely beautiful dog. :dog:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  9. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Well-Known Member

This still bothers me. I had heard somewhere that their hind quarters were so weakened that Police forces that used to use them were switching to other breeds, like the Anatolian Shepherd. I don't know whay the situation is now. I don't think that this dog looked as extreme as some I was seeing.

10. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I've commented on this before, after seeing a documentary on breed engineering for show dogs, and I think it was relation to this show - although it applies to the sport in general, not just specifically to Westminster.

What I've seen of Rumor indicates that his slope may be lower than that of a typical GSD, but I can't say for sure without comparing Rumor to other GDSs.

Rumor's appearance and movement appear to be fine, and my hope is that the practice is the exception to the norm, and Rumor is a normal-limbed GSD.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  11. Mozart

Mozart Well-Known Member

I loved stripe the sheltie who won the 16' agility competition