1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We have updated the board style and hope you like it. If you don't, you can switch back by going to https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?misc/style Select V Bulletin 3.0 style.

Westminster Dog Show

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Garden Kitty, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

The Westminster Agility competition is on tonight, and the Dog Show is on Monday and Tuesday. Westminster is on Fox Sports One this year instead of the usual USA Network.

Broadcast Schedule

The garden kitty is currently watching the agility competition and wondering why all those silly dogs are running around when they could be napping.

2. Sylvia

Sylvia Still recovering from Worlds...

icie, Buzz and Garden Kitty like this.
  3. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Thanks. No more USA. I would have missed it for sure. I don't have National Geographic Wild, but I do get Fox 1. The Canadian schedule is there too. I wonder who the new announcers are.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia Still recovering from Worlds...

http://www.foxsports.com/presspass/...ck-of-the-litter-for-2017-westminster-dog-sho

5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Hit ball, find ball, hit it again.

Live now on NatGeo.

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Fox has gone to the dogs!

:dog:

7. icie

icie Keeping up appearances

No Johnny or Tara there?

kwanfan1818 likes this.
  8. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I like the little video segments showing various dogs around NYC - on the steps of the Met, on the subway, at the stock exchange etc. They're well done.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    kwanfan1818 and Sylvia like this.
  9. rfisher

rfisher Will you rise like a phoenix or be a burnt chicken

I just :rofl: when they said this wasn't about money. It's about money. Big bucks in stud fees and puppy prices, handler fees skyrocket if you win and kennels profit for years. To say nothing about endorsement fees. It costs big bucks to get a dog to Westminster. It's about money.

doubleturn and Garden Kitty like this.
  10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I like the man and woman they have doing the general commentary but I could skip the people doing the behind the scenes interviews.

rfisher likes this.
  11. A.H.Black

It's going to take me a while to get used to the new network. I miss David Frei and Mary Carillo. I liked the way Mary used to laugh at the dogs. I felt like but she and David were biting their tongues to avoid saying too much but I enjoyed what they did say.

As usual, I'm rooting for one of the "normal" breeds. Labs, golden retriever, collie ...... Although I confess a real affection for the Norfolk Terriers.

Garden Kitty likes this.
  12. rfisher

Bah. The Standard Poodle is a white. The mini is black though. We'll be robbed. :drama: Poodles should win just because they're Poodles. @PrincessLeppard will surely agree.

PrincessLeppard likes this.
  13. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I feel the same way about the retrievers. I don't think a retriever has ever won Westminster Best in Show. Nor a German Shepherd for that matter. It usually seems to be a smaller breed who wins (Josh the Newfoundland being a notable exception). I'm sure a poodle has won, but would gamble on it being a miniature or toy (not sure what words precisely distinguish the two), not a Standard.

I've heard that smaller breeds are easier to control and manipulate, so that could be a primary reason.

Not to mention, the sporting/working breeds have better things to do than prance around in a ring.

And I'm sure that Standard poodles hate those silly, undignified haircuts they are required to wear in the ring.

14. rfisher

Actually, the Poodles don't mind the hair. They get used to the grooming as puppies and sleep through it. The owners just cut them down when they aren't showing to lessen the grooming. A Standard and a Mini have won BIS in the past.

And the mini won his group last night. :) I've had a mini and the Standards. I like the bigger Poodles, but both are great dogs.

15. Susan1

Susan1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reminder. I didn't know I had this channel. I got to watch the hounds. I always forget they are first. "houndy expression" - yep!!!

Both of the beagle handlers moved the leash behind their ears. I said "thank you". (if anybody here has been in this discussion before, you know how that bugs me)

I wanted to hug everybody (the dogs!) that didn't win...............:dog:

16. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...nnel_Club_Dog_Show#Number_of_winners_by_breed

Four standard poodles, three miniatures, and two toys. Oodles of poodles, in fact.

No retrievers, though. They are probably tasked with bringing the Best in Show trophy over to the wire fox terriers. :blah:

Japanfan, kwanfan1818 and rfisher like this.
  17. rfisher

Winning at Westminster is the result of how well the handler/owner has campaigned the dog throughout the season and how many points they managed to scarf up. They will put the dog in "certain" shows with "certain" judges to get those points and they promote the dog like crazy. They make the politicking done in ice dance look like rank amateurs. That means most weekends are spent traveling somewhere to campaign that dog. Once the points begin to accrue, the dog's PCS begins to go up (again like in skating). The TES analogy is the physical attributes of the dog, but even those are tweaked by judicious grooming. This is why good judges get their hands on the dog, especially those with fluffy coats or lots of hair. They know the tricks used by the groomers who also use bluing to make white coats whiter and aren't averse to a little dye job if needed.

The best dog doesn't always win. The best politicked dog does.

18. A.H.Black

Rooting for the German Shepherd. Would be happy with the Norwich. Poodle have had their turn - so have the Pekes.

Scrufflet likes this.
  19. Kasey

Kasey Correcting President Trump's grammar on Twitter :)

Charley is offended that there's no Pomeranian mixes in the running ;)

galaxygirl and oleada like this.
  20. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

So who won?

My recording cut off during the Terrier group. I assume Best in Show came afterwards, and I missed in it. :(

21. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

This reminds me, it's time to watch Best in Show again.

22. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Rumor the German Shepherd won.

Garden Kitty and Aceon6 like this.
  23. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

Ah well if the huskies can't win, the German shepherds are okay, I guess.

kwanfan1818 likes this.
  24. Aceon6

Aceon6 Hit ball, find ball, hit it again.

Yay, a real dog's dog.

alexikeguchi and Integrity like this.
  25. rfisher

Love Shepherds. Now, it's time for a Dobie.

26. Susan1

Susan1 Well-Known Member

I'm glad I switched over to check in the last 5 minutes. BIS didn't start till after 11:00!

You've probably already seen that the German Shepherd won. I'm a hound person, but that's who I was rooting for. She wasn't as "slopy" as the German Shepherd we were talking about last year. I went "oooooh" when the Irish Setter trotted out. Gorgeous.

27. rfisher

:rofl: She is the same dog as last year! She came in second last year.

Vagabond and Integrity like this.
  28. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I went to bed early, but saw they were running late and set my recorder to run 3 extra hours to make sure I got the ending. Glad for Rumor, beautiful dog.

29. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Well-Known Member

I loved the Spanish water dog, Tibetan Mastiff, Bernie, Nova Scotia Duck Toller and the St. Bernard, having a snooze during the competition!

Garden Kitty likes this.
  30. A.H.Black

I don't think I've ever seen a better performance by a dog, than Rumor. I don't think she moved from her position once as the judge walked around. Fabulous dog. I thought she should have won last year.