1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi all! No longer will threads be closed after 1000 (ish) messages. We may close if one gets so long to cause an issue and if you would like a thread closed to start a new one after a 1000 posts then just use the "Report Post" function. Enjoy!

Wedding attendance/gift dilemma

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Louis, Mar 26, 2011.

1. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I went to a wedding at St. Patrick's Cathedral on Yom Kippur Day, and it was the first wedding I'd ever been to at which tourists were snapping away at a wedding ceremony.

2. FigureSpins

FigureSpins Well-Known Member

Many people give savings bonds instead of checks for weddings. A $1000 savings bond costs $500 plus fees. Somehow that seems less extravagant and it's a testimony that you believe the marriage will last a long time.

3. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

Savings bonds from the US government have no fees

4. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

Great idea! Unfortunately, the savings bond interest rate is 0% right now. It will still get adjusted for inflation, however.

Since Louis is talking particularly about the honeymoon, I think a gift certificate for a few nights at a nearby resort is still a good idea (tooting my own horn :)), but I really like the savings bond idea for a general wedding present.

Edit: I was referring to type I savings bonds. I didn't know about EE savings bonds ($1000 bond costs $500) but will now look into that for myself! Thanks, FigureSpins!

Edit: Hmm, now may not be the time for EE bonds either, as the interest rate on bonds bought today is fixed at 0.6%.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

This summarizes how I feel, also.

6. mrr50

mrr50 Well-Known Member

I bonds carry no fees, they are just like EE. The only difference is that EE are fixed rate and I have a fixed rate of return and a variable semiannual inflation rate (based on CPI-U for March and September)which are combined. Both I and EE are SAVINGS BONDS.
    Now Treasury bonds, notes and bills can be purchased from brokers and some large bank investment units for a fee, but you can get those through Treasury Direct for no fee.
    If I were a betting person, I would bet that the fixed rate for
    'I' will be more an 0% on May 1.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  7. bek

bek Guest

Here's a thought. If you were afraid that a gift that big might make the friendship uncomfortable. You could always give them a smaller cash gift, and then give them some of the rest in an anonymous way. I.e a typed note saying that you think they are wonderful people who deserve a great honeymoon, and that your afraid they won't accept that if you give them the money directly. So your giving it to them in a way where they can't return it or say no.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2011
    Gazpacho and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Gazpacho

Gazpacho Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone has experience with this site that I found: http://www.xperiencedays.com/

It lets you buy gift certificates for an experience such as a hot air balloon ride or dance lessons. Sounds like a neat wedding gift.

Wow, that's a great idea! Louis, I will be extremely impressed with you and anyone else who takes this approach. It's an exercise in true selflessness.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011