WEAVER AND POJE: The Future is Golden

kwanoverrated

Banned Member
They are still competitive in PCS but their TES just is not keeping pace with the top teams when they skate well. Because of their increasingly obvious technical inferiority their PCS are suffering, and they are losing their advantage on teams like C&B and S&S their too.

I agree they need a coaching change. Nothing to lose now, as after this and with V&M coming back, nobody will be expecting anything at all from them next season. They might as well take a big risk if they are going to continue since going as they are now they wont get onto a world podium ever again.

pani

I think if they didn't have mistake on twizzles they will get score in FD like SS and CB.

VGThuy

If this season has taught us anything is that comebacks CAN happen in ice dance, even after years of not quite rising up to the level where you'd like to be. Loss of status and reputation may not be the death sentence it once was in Ice Dance. I also don't think W/P really lost much reputation. Competition was just really tight and everyone skated extremely well.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
If this season has taught us anything is that comebacks CAN happen in ice dance, even after years of not quite rising up to the level where you'd like to be. Loss of status and reputation may not be the death sentence it once was in Ice Dance. I also don't think W/P really lost much reputation. Competition was just really tight and everyone skated extremely well.
I guess you are referring to the Shibs come back and maybe even H/D but both those teams are younger, I feel it will be harder for W/P they've been at it for one more quarter than those two other teams. And going from 3rd to 5th must really take a toll on your spirits. Though they are always so positive, Kaitlyn was saying "Oh SB" with a smile after the FD scores.

arakwafan2006

Quite frankly, shame on them for still having struggles with the elements at this stage of their career. It appears to me as if they thought the World title was just going to be handed to them this season. Peter T. gave them sufficient material for this season to allow them to capitalize but they are the most experienced team and some of their elements, beyond those terrible Twizzles are the worst of the top 6 skaters. Andrew's posture was not nearly as good as the top men, some of their pictures and shapes they try and create are obscure and I still am not certain that they are on the same page with regards to the mood and emotion they are trying to convey, it doesn't matter though because it's wrong for this music. In fact, they SHOULD be the dominant team but i'm believing that Pasquale and Anjelika have taken this team about as far as they can. The improvement has subsided which is why they are so damn low. It's so disappointing because they are so damn capable.

Davis and White made a career of making sure that the absence of technical weakness was obvious. Pasquale has a way of not opting for sacrificing style, beauty and choreography for the sake of a level or a point but unfortunately, the other competitors do. There is no way in HELL that Chock and Bates of all teams should be ahead of Weaver and Poje but they were smart enough to go to the coach who can squeeze a point out of a damn fart he's so good and now, though Weaver and Poje are better aesthetically IMO, Chock and Bates have shown the judges that they are here to win.

While i agree that comebacks are possible, either Anjelica needs to drill their elements the way Tom Z does his singles skaters or they need to add a coach to the team to help. If the return of Virtue and Moir means what I think it means, the battle is for the bronze at Olympics, not the gold or silver because the French and Canadians have that on lock theoretically. If Maia and Alex do next year what they've done this year, it's not looking good for Weaver and Poje

juliajk

Kaitlyn and Andrew are great skaters, one of the strongest ice dance teams in the field right now, but unfortunately too many things played against them at this world's, starting with a very unfriendly judging panel, and Skate Canada who dropped them at the same second when VM announced their comeback (I really wish they'd done that after the worlds). I don't necessary think it would hurt their reputation that badly, but they do need to come back very strongly next season.
I'm not sure anyone could get the world title as long as the judges continue to ridiculously over score the french team, but they definitely can get another world's/Olympic medal.

Coach changing is not something they need, and there are no coaches they can go to really, but they definitely should work with different choreographers and expand their range. I really love their programs this year, its probably m favorite Fd of theirs, but I get that it is a piece that is difficult to get for some people. I appreciate the fact that they don't stick with one style of program that works for them, and that the present the most difficult and intricate pieces, but unfortunately the judges don't appreciate that, so maybe they should consider to simplify their programs a little bit. It's time for them to leave the experiments, and do what they do the best. they need to go out there with the most sexy and passionate program they can get, and it would be a massive crowd pleaser. Hopefully,that would fix their confidence issues, that I think was their biggest problem right now, I think this is where all the technical problems they got recently came from.

VGThuy

I've wondered that myself. I knew a lot of V/M ubers tried to proffer reasons that attempted to not make V/M look bad, but I think it was obvious that V/M wanted to be part of the conversation ASAP even if it meant it would somehow undermine or psych WeaPo out.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Kaitlyn and Andrew had basically the same result in Boston that they had at 4CC´s. And their results at 4CC's came before Virtue Moir announced they were returning next season. In fact they skated better in Boston but still had the same result. If they were unnerved by V&M's announcement you'd think they would have done worse.

This had a lot more to do with the momentum P&C and Shibs had going into worlds and the rest were always fighting for bronze. Unfortunately W&P lost a few levels and the results are what they are.

As much as I would have liked W&P to get a title after being so close the past few seasons it others were just better this time out.

Mayra

I've wondered that myself. I knew a lot of V/M ubers tried to proffer reasons that attempted to not make V/M look bad, but I think it was obvious that V/M wanted to be part of the conversation ASAP even if it meant it would somehow undermine or psych WeaPo out.
If W&P got psyched out by only an announcement does that mean they will be falling all over themselves when V&M take the ice next season?

Seriously that doesn't say very much about their competitive spirit and drive. P&C skate alongside them every day and they went out and dared V&M and every other dance team to reach their heights. None competing were even close. :respec:

W&P had a mistake and at the end of the day that's their fault.

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
Kaitlyn and Andrew had basically the same result in Boston that they had at 4CC´s. And their results at 4CC's came before Virtue Moir announced they were returning next season.

V/M announced their return before 4CC (by a day I think)

Dunno, maybe V/M were trying to help W/P out, telling the judges this is the year they need to give them the title before the masters return :cool:

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
W&P had a mistake and at the end of the day that's their fault.

Yep, and they know it. When asked if there's anything they wished they've done differently, Kaitlyn said "skate better", and Andrew said they need to figure out why their preparation and practices didn't translate to solid performances.

kwanoverrated

Banned Member
W&P arent totally done yet. I think they have a good shot at a top 7 finish at next years worlds and they might be able to fight G&P for Canadian #2 next season.

Spun Silver

V/M announced their return before 4CC (by a day I think)
l:
I just checked the date of thei announcement (2/20), the date of the free dance (2/19), and the time difference (Taiwan is 12 hrs ahead of US Eastern Daylight Time). The comp wasnt over, but it looks like they waited until after the free dance, so I think @marbri is right.

@kwanoverrated, your idea of WeaPo's future is so far below their dreams. I thnk they would rather slit their throats than have another Worlds like this. If they do stay in, I'm sure they will try and pull a D/W on V/M. :D But how they do it, I don't know. Maybe it IS time to switch coaches and choreographers and make a new start.

kwanoverrated

Banned Member
@kwanoverrated, your idea of WeaPo's future is so far below their dreams. I thnk they would rather slit their throats than have another Worlds like this. If they do stay in, I'm sure they will try and pull a D/W on V/M. :D But how they do it, I don't know. Maybe it IS time to switch coaches and choreographers and make a new start.

I think at this point their main goal would be to stay above G&P as Canadian #2, and hope V&M dont want to skate both programs for the team event, and they can get an Olympic medal as part of the Canadian silver or bronze (likely) team. I think they know a world title for them going forward is about as likely as it was for Surya Bonaly in 96 and beyond. That ship has clearly sailed now.

Spun Silver

Yeah, a Worlds title is pretty much gone, but Canada no. 1 and Worlds podium are not. At least I bet that's what they are saying to themselves right now. But I get what you are saying about the Olympic medal though.

arakwafan2006

I dont follow Skate Canada but I too wonder why V/M could not wait until after Worlds to make their big announcement. That had to psych out Kaitlyn and Andrew at the very least.

Why should they wait? It's their moment. It's not their fault Kaitlyn and Andrew are so damn fragile. They're still screwing up damn Twizzles, give me a break. They flat out are not as good as the other teams but they COULD have been the dominant team if they got exponentially better.

I hate all of this weak ass " poor Weaver/Poje..." Or " tsk... How dare Tessa and Scott not wait to tell their news " rubbish. Sport is cruel sometimes. This isn't an example of it though. Weaver and Poje have not handled their damn business which is why their season ended only half as bitter as next season will if they skate so poorly.

Judy

Well Tessa and Kaitlyn are good friends (my source was Kaitlyn's mom) so I dunno .. are they really surprised? Maybe.

Tak

oops! could've sworn V/M announced their comeback before the FD :COP:
This is the way I remember it too - it was after the SD and before the FD. I should go back and check the thread, because we were talking about it when it happened.

Katha

They had momentum in the first half of the season, then lost it in the second part starting with 4CC. Last year the same thing happened. I don't know why that keeps happening, only they know. Even though Worlds are in Boston, IMO they still had a shot at a medal. Probably not gold, with the way P/C are performing, but podium was possible. But they didn't deliver the performances. And while I feel for them, they aren't owed titles because they've been around a long time. They also need to be able to cope with things like V/M's announcement.

What they should do going forward, I don't know. Armchair coaching and psychologizing is nice for fan speculation, but ultimately they need to figure out what their problems are and how to address them. Krylova and Camerlengo didn't have a good season IMO, but if they feel comfortable there? Personally, too many FDs of theirs have made me think "Usova/Zhulin tribute act". And I don't think this very abstract style of performance and program suits them. OTOH, in the first half of the season it wasn't a problem.

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
This is the way I remember it too - it was after the SD and before the FD. I should go back and check the thread, because we were talking about it when it happened.
Right? I must be mixing up discussions based on the rumors vs the actual announcement

ballettmaus

What I was thinking is that W/P were the favorites going into 4CCs, so had they really won V/M's announcement would have come right at the heels of that win. And I would think that the announcement would have overshadowed a W/P win.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
They always peak too early and don't manage to have their programs grow all the way to Worlds. Maybe it has to do with the way their programs are choreographed, maybe they do have limitations in terms of interpretation skills. But for me, they lack of identity as a team which is worrying after 10 seasons competing. They don't stand out among the top teams. G/P, H/D, S/S, P/C make us take notice with their quirkiness, great connection, feisty spirit or otherworldliness as result they're compelling.

Last edited:

arakwafan2006

. But for me, they lack of identity as a team which is worrying after 10 seasons competing. They don't stand out among the top teams.
This
You nailed it. I'm sure that people here think I don't like Weaver and Poje because according to the bloggers here, If you say anything that is not kind it's because you can't possibly like a skater or team. I actually really like them The Je Suis Malade is what really made me love them...oh, and if you've ever met them, you would just melt at their kindness. Still, Cocotaffy was right in that they struggle with having a strong identity. What might be the case is that they are as good as they're ever going to be? I seriously wonder. I cannot think of another reason given that they are such seasoned veterans.

I was hoping that having an outside choreographer would allow Pasquale and Anjelika to really focus on the deficits in their skating since they would not have been so closely attached to the work.

The worst thing that could have happened was to let a team like Chock and Bates surpass them. I'm afraid that winning over the judges at this point is going to be more than a notion. It's possible though. I had to do it professionally. I slacked off and went from being a top performer to really having some shitty sales performances. Leadership scratched their heads and frankly, it got so bad that my boss actually asked me if i had a second job. I can tell you that ending my quarter at 120% to goal has changed everything. I'm now the top dog with top dog privileges but it took me reinventing my process and having relentless discipline. It's possible but it was hard. I'm hoping that Weaver and Poje do just that.

yurokis40

I think the problem is clearly Andrew Poje , Kaitlyn Weaver has become an amazing ice dancer as good as any of the other top females but Andrew oh my his skating this year really looked bad it doesn`t look like he came prepared this year even at the gp final he had mistakes, he basically destroyed their great free dance by himself , plus he is too passive and his posture has gotten worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information