WEAVER AND POJE: The Future is Golden

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Would be nice to discuss each team in their own thread. This is turning into a V/M vs D/W pointless heated argument, and I don't think the point of the threads is to bash the other team's fans.
I love both teams and what they each bring to ice dance nowadays, and I go to both threads to read updates, but perhaps I should stay in the general ice dance threads instead and avoid the bitterness...

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Would be nice to discuss each team in their own thread. This is turning into a V/M vs D/W pointless heated argument, and I don't think the point of the threads is to bash the other team's fans.
I love both teams and what they each bring to ice dance nowadays, and I go to both threads to read updates, but perhaps I should stay in the general ice dance threads instead and avoid the bitterness...
Can I like this a thousand times?!

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Just got a chance to watch the vids from Canada Nationals. What a fantastic performance they put out there for the Free Dance!

geoskate

I loved seeing the retrospective shots from 10 years ago in Halifax, their first year at nationals and their first year skating together as a team. Has it really been that long??

Thank-you, Kaitlyn and Andrew, for being an example of perserverance and hard work to other skaters - and thanks for all the beautiful skating through the last ten years.

(edit: correction their first nationals was 2007, so it's actually nine years ago. The math was done too quickly).

Last edited:

timmybopper

What do you think of W/P going to 4CC? Looks like the Shibs and C/B will be there too for the Americans. Is it risky for W/P to go and potentially lose to one (or both) of the U.S. teams? Would that hurt their momentum for a gold medal at worlds? Or do you think W/P are unbeatable this season?

juliajk

What do you think of W/P going to 4CC? Looks like the Shibs and C/B will be there too for the Americans. Is it risky for W/P to go and potentially lose to one (or both) of the U.S. teams? Would that hurt their momentum for a gold medal at worlds? Or do you think W/P are unbeatable this season?
WP definitely should go to 4CC, more they get in front of the judges before Worlds the better. Skipping competitions in order "not to lose" to someone is a quite stupid strategy.

Debrah

Go W&P! Show everyone just what great storyteller's and technician's you are, and how powerful your skating is! I still believe you can win in Boston, despite the obstacles, and perhaps BECAUSE of them and your own wisdom, maturity and experience!

timmybopper

Tracy Wilson's article on TSN says W&P went to work with Lori Nichol after their 4CC loss... Wonder what changes they made to their programs? I would like to see them more effortless and less forced in their expressions and movements, but maybe that's just me?

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Tracy Wilson's article on TSN says W&P went to work with Lori Nichol after their 4CC loss... Wonder what changes they made to their programs? I would like to see them more effortless and less forced in their expressions and movements, but maybe that's just me?
Do you have a link?

aftershocks

Banned Member
I think it's important for W/P to be on the Worlds podium again this season, and to win would be icing on the cake for them. If they don't reach top of podium, that doesn't mean they are no longer 'relevant' simply because V/M are returning to competition.

yurokis40

W&P have to win worlds to say relevant when V&M return.
Nonsense V&M have been away for 2 years and even then the last 2 years of them competing they had all sorts of technical issues, they got a pass because they were defending olympic champions, they judges will not give them a pass this time they will have to earn their way back, as for Weapo i`ve been saying all year their FD was the most difficult and challenging if they skate perfect they deserve the title there isn`t a team in this field that they can`t beat.

Cachoo

I LOVE the Shibs and P/C. That said, by a narrow margin, I think W/P pleased me most today with their program. It was so free flowing. If there was pressure it didn't show.

aftershocks

Banned Member
No way W/P should be behind Chock/Bates, IMHO. Cho/Bat had a minor problem on twizzle and altho' C/B are a good team, I don't think they are better than W/P. I also don't see Cho/Bat as particularly well-matched. Evan is a fine dancer (but kind of dorky persona), and Maddie is a beautiful woman with style and flair, but together they don't make my heart go pitter-patter.

I'm not sure what the protocols say, but I assume W/P took a hit on their twizzles which are slow and do not cover a lot of ice. Still they got through them fine. I think W/P are mainly suffering from having dropped at 4CCs behind Cho/Bat. Also, it does not help re the specter of V/M returning to steal W/P thunder.

I hope W/P muster courage and give it their all in FD and move ahead of C/B to medal.

Cachoo

No way W/P should be behind Chock/Bates, IMHO. Cho/Bat had a minor problem on twizzle and altho' C/B are a good team, I don't think they are better than W/P. I also don't see Cho/Bat as particularly well-matched. Evan is a fine dancer (but kind of dorky persona), and Maddie is a beautiful woman with style and flair, but together they don't make my heart go pitter-patter.

I'm not sure what the protocols say, but I assume W/P took a hit on their twizzles which are slow and do not cover a lot of ice. Still they got through them fine. I think W/P are mainly suffering from having dropped at 4CCs behind Cho/Bat. Also, it does not help re the specter of V/M returning to steal W/P thunder.

I hope W/P muster courage and give it their all in FD and move ahead of C/B to medal.

This is where I depend on Tracy and Ben during the broadcasts for their technical expertise. And I remember the twizzle they were talking about.
While I like all of the others very much this had the feeling of "nothing left to lose so let it rip." And boy did they imho.

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^ I was listening to Charlie White on IN. Charlie didn't pick anything out re the twizzles. He seemed to think they got through them fine, although we all know twizzles are not W/P's strongest element. What Charlie had to say at the end of W/P's performance was more of an overall assessment that he felt their music choice was not absolutely the best match for them even though they deliver the waltz and the program beautifully and look beautiful doing it. I guess Charlie thinks it doesn't necessarily suit their personalities as well as Madi/Zach's SD music and choreo suit them to a T, and thus enhance their best qualities.

I think W/P's SD which they changed to after the Elvis idea didn't work, is good and a safe compromise which worked fine earlier in the season. Perhaps nerves set in for W/P during their 4CCs FD, or else they were tired from jet lag like a number of skaters. Charlie could be right in his assessment of W/P's SD and their overall on-ice presence. There is just something intangible/ indefinable that W/P need to overcome. Perhaps it is about finding something they can throw their hearts and souls into that will allow them to look more natural and less rehearsed. Some oomph and self-belief that demands our attention and won't be denied. Seemingly W/P's momentum faltered at 4CCs, and it didn't help that the 4CCs results coincided with V/M's announcement.

arakwafan2006

I agree about Madison and Evan.

screech

IMO it should definitely be closer between P/C and Shibsibs for first (I'd personally have Shibsibs in first), and WeaPo should definitely be in third (I'd have Gilles and Poirier in 4th ahead of C/B too).

What got C/B ahead of WeaPo was level 3s. C/B got level 3 on their twizzles, 4s on everything else. WeaPo got level 3 on their step sequence, 4s on everything else. The difference between 3 and 4 on the step sequence is bigger than the difference between a 3 and 4 on the twizzles. Also, C/B didn't get dinged on their GOE for the twizzles (in fact, they got almost all +2s).

yurokis40

No Matter the result tonight I will always be proud of these two the amount of work they have put in these last few years has been truly amazing, if they decide after tonight that there is no point in continuing to the next Olympics I will respect that, c'mon Weapo fans were are you lets cheer them on tonight and hopefully the performance will be memorable on the nature of daylight is breathtaking.

Rafter

I thought they skated well last night and hope they have a great performance tonight. Their start order not is great though.

I've been trying to figure out why they seem to compete so well in December but fade a little bit in Feb/March? Nerves? Peaking too soon? Not sure.

I do think it's unfortunate that this year Worlds are on NHL-sized ice and not Olympic-sized ice. Their SD this season comes across much better on the larger ice surface where they can really push out the pattern and get lots of speed and power going. I feel like they have to hold back on the smaller ice.

I wonder if they will consider a coaching change?

ichiro

Gutted for WP. They started out so well earlier on the season. I think if they still want to competitive they need to change coaches or find some outside help to work on their technical elements. If CB with that snore of a program can score 113...maybe it's time to move to Igor

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information