1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking Dead/ Fear The Walking Dead thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Marco, Apr 8, 2016.

1. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Wow that was a tough one to watch! Very gory, and just so sad, even by Walking Dead standards. Now that I've had time to process it all I'm not angry, just really looking forward to seeing how the rest of the season is going to go because this was obviously a major turning point. And I want revenge. Go Maggie!

Nan and AliasJohnDoe like this.
  2. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I'm a huge Walking Dead fan (and tolerate FTWD), and I can say without a doubt I never, ever want to see tonight's episode again. Ever. And I didn't even see the worst of the deaths because I had my hands over my eyes. One image I can't get out of my head. Ugh. I expected it to be awful but I still wasn't prepared.

That said, the entire cast nailed their performances. Jeffrey Dean Morgan was fantastic!

Watching Talking Dead now and Chris Hardwick made a damn good point. They just showed a ridiculous amount of gore for the past hour, but swear words have to be bleeped out.:rolleyes:

Nan and AliasJohnDoe like this.
  3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I gave up on TWD and GOT a while aback. But I must say that these shows are popular because they are so violent and shocking but I keep wondering when is the viewing public going to decide enough is enough and turn away for good.

AliasJohnDoe and PeterG like this.
  4. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I'm trying to think of how an audience from the 1950's would react to tonight's episode.

AliasJohnDoe likes this.
  5. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Headcase Addict

Sorry.....I loved tonights episode. Gore...angst...surprises....and all. Negan is heartless. Good episode.

Nan likes this.
  6. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

So inevitable. Spoiling Dead called it a while ago so I was prepared. There was a tiny part of me that wished they called it wrong or that there would be a surprise twist. DAMN that was brutal.

I could hardly eat lunch. Bolognaise was out of the question.

7. Nan

Nan Just me, retired

I'm not sure why people are surprised and shocked by what happened last night on TWD. We had the whole off-season to prepare for it and I can't see how anyone thought a "whack" with that bat would be a "love tap." While I will miss certain actors, the story line did need something different to keep it interesting and if this doesn't do it, not much will. (never read the novels, so all of this is new to me, it might not be for those of you who have)

tracylynn likes this.
  8. tracylynn

tracylynn Active Member

I didn't think the premiere was that bad, but I was under the impression that we would find out who Negan killed right at the beginning of the show but we didn't. I think it was 20 minutes in before we found out. As much as I will miss the 2 characters that were killed, I am glad that they stayed true to the comics on how one of the characters was killed. I am glad that they didn't give in to fan demand. I do think these deaths will help them take the story line in a new direction. Plus, we will get to meet more groups and I am looking forward to that.

9. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple

How was that different and interesting? They've encountered yet another group of psychotic assholes. And when they defeat Negan, they will encounter yet another group of psychotic assholes, and I have zero desire to see how they will ramp up the violence for that.

The excuse of following the comics is bullshit. They haven't followed the comics from the beginning. Daryl, anyone?

Buzz and PeterG like this.
  10. tracylynn

tracylynn Active Member

Why do you bother watching it if you hate the show so much? I don't get it. Are they following the comics 100%? No, because they can't because so many people have read the comics that it wouldn't make sense to follow it to a T. They have to throw in some wrenches to the story line as in terms of characters but the time line they are sticking to. Will they defeat Negan? Maybe or maybe not. Who knows what the producers have in mind, but the world they are living in is full of nutcases so that has to be thrown in there.

11. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Now that I have had time to digest the episode, it actually really made sense. The gang can't really go from adventure to adventure with walkers and bad people and not have people die. It is really only a matter of whether they get bit or killed.

I will miss the character who appeared longer on the show, and Negan was brutal - but I would have done the exact same thing to them and to Rick if I was in his shoes. It's important to show them who's boss. I mean, they killed a bunch of his people too. People like Rick and Daryl and Abraham are not giving in easy.

I actually shed some tears when I watched Talking Dead.

12. Nan

Nan Just me, retired

Because Rick didn't win, he's not the biggest rat in the shed anymore. He has to dance to some ones tune for a change and I want to see how it changes him and the rest of his group.

13. Jeschke

Jeschke #teamtrainwreck #teamschott

there goes my heart :wuzrobbed

14. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I don't like these shows because they are violent and shocking, and think many would say the same.

I watch them for the story, the suspense, the surprises, and in the case of GOT, the spectacles. But mostly I watch them because of the characters. A good series creates characters that viewers relate to and become invested in. Those characters become beloved and over time, viewers come to feel a sense of intimacy or kinship with them.

Also, TWD has excellent actors for the most part. Andrew Lincoln was the perfect choice for Rick Grimes. The characters for the most part have depth and dimension, and are interesting.

Though I was not sorry to see Abraham go tonight.

15. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple

I'm not going to watch it anymore. But when I did watch it, it was for episodes like The Grove, which is not only the best episode of this series, but one of the best tv shows I've ever seen, period.

If you like where this is going, great! Keep watching. But I'm done.

rfisher likes this.
  16. Jeschke

Jeschke #teamtrainwreck #teamschott

best episode ever!

17. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

The best thing that comes out of this part of the story is Maggie's development as a much stronger and interesting character. Hopefully the show takes a cue from the comics in that regard; which would bring some much needed variety to the landscape of the narrative.

Nan likes this.
  18. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I suspect if they want to keep the comic going that world has to remain dark and sick and disturbing. It would be nice if they could bring about some sort of resolution instead of constant sadness and dread. But then money would not be made if they find stability.

19. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

So sad to see you being done with the series. As you walk away from the show, please
    just look at the flowers.

:p

20. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Pretty Much Dead Already was my favourite episode. That one and the one with Glenn under the dumpster when we thought he was dead.

21. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed

22. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I tuned in last night. At first I was like, this show is jumping the shark. WTH with King Ezekiel and the Tiger? But it was a sweet episode. I hope they turn it into a good vs bad theme with all the peasants that have to pay tribute to the bad guy with the bat rising up and beating him.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  23. Japanfan

I thought it was an okay episode, a bit silly, but the actor playing Ezekial did a good job.

As the story-line expands into new communities, scenarios and characters, the original group seems to be getting less attention, which I don't like.

Also, I'm a bit weary of the focus on Morgan and his emotional/spiritual dilemmas. He's not the only character with depth and dimension, but is sometimes treated as such.

24. peibeck

peibeck Nom Nom

After the heavy season premiere, I think they needed a much lighter tone with the second episode. Plus there was a lot of Carol! :cheer: And any episode with a lot of Carol is going to be good, no matter how silly. ;)

@PrincessLeppard I basically think of TWD as a soap opera. Granted, a gory soap opera, but a soap opera nonetheless, and hence it is going to have a repetitive nature.

25. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Anyone watched season 7B premierre tonight?

26. Japanfan

Me! It was a bit slow, but the attempted take-over of the Saviours is in process. I hope they set it up fairly quickly.

27. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

If possible, this episode makes me hate Morgan and Father G even more.

28. Japanfan

Yeah, I've had enough of their brooding! And Jesus is getting a bit too much air time IMO - pretty blues eyes only go so far.

I want more Darryl! And of course more Carol (goes without saying).

29. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

They have too many new characters and plot lines and we are seeing less of everyone (esp the main characters) as a result. This episode did a decent job of making sure everyone at least says a few words.

The highway scene was spectacular.

They are now saying there is someone else in Father G's car.

Rick's grin when they were surrounded by the group of women - one of them was very covered up - I wonder if that was Carol...

30. Meyers

Meyers Member

Yes, there's someone in Father G's car -- you can see him/her pop up just as he starts to drive. Father G was ambushed as he made his rounds (the crash), and you can see him sweating as he's loading the supplies into the bin, and he said 'just checking' as he went though the inventory log. It was subtle, but Father G was clearly being coerced.

(I kept thinking, Carol's MIA, Olivia's dead, Carl's on the outing, and now Father G has been taken -- who's looking after Judith, LOL?)