1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking Dead/ Fear The Walking Dead thread

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Marco, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Hate watch/ hate read away! ;)

Fear The Walking Dead season 2 will premier this Sunday US time, and same as last season, a Talking Dead will follow each episode. There are 15 episodes this season for FTWD.

Greg Nicotero on 5 Things to Expect in Season 2

2. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple

I am sure this show learned zero lessons from its first run and will be just as awful as I'm hoping. :watch:

PeterG likes this.
  3. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Headcase Addict

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  4. PrincessLeppard

Um, there is already a second thread; maybe we could merge them?

AliasJohnDoe likes this.
  5. AliasJohnDoe

OOPS....didn't see it before I started this one. Sorry Marco.

6. Server Guy

Server Guy Administrator Staff Member

I didn't think it was that bad. :(

AliasJohnDoe likes this.
  7. PrincessLeppard

I think I was disappointed because it wasn't what it was promised to be (watching the apocalypse unfold). Instead, we got stuck with annoying, dysfunctional family and then of course, the thing that nearly made me toss my teevee out the window.....NINE DAYS LATER.

NO SHOW. BAD SHOW. THIS IS NOT WHAT I WAS EXPECTING.

:drama:

Also, I hate all the main characters. :shuffle:

Marco and AliasJohnDoe like this.
  8. AliasJohnDoe

Maybe Emily Kinney could guest star as an LA lounge singer named Beth Blue and sing for us every few episodes. :p

PeterG likes this.
  9. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Yes - they skipped the "fear". :fragile:

I actually find Alicia to be very cute. But yes otherwise I hate almost everyone else. :p

AliasJohnDoe and PrincessLeppard like this.
  10. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

Fear The Trashing Viewers.

11. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

FTWD is a poor substitute/spin off for TWD. The acting quality is clearly less. . .except for Mr. El Salvadore. :) And I would guess that the production costs/actors' salaries are much less as well. Andrew Lincoln is getting top $$ for TWD, and no one in FTWD is even close to him in terms of talent.

I think TWD producers just want to toss their audience some crumbs in the off season. It works, at least briefly diverting the audiences' attention away from the fact that we won't know who Negan offed until October.

12. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

In the same genre, I also watch Z Nation and Grimm.

AliasJohnDoe likes this.
  13. PrincessLeppard

Z Nation is awesome. I hope it comes back on soon.

AliasJohnDoe, Marco and Daphne like this.
  14. PrincessLeppard

okay, so it wasn't as terrible as I expected.

I teach high school, so teens acting like idiots (HEY, STRANGER ON THE RADIO, HERE'S WHERE OUR BOAT IS! and also HEY I THINK I'M GOING TO GO FOR A SWIM IN THE MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN OFF A MOVING BOAT - I mean, I have students who would do both of these things) I can deal with.

Poor Strand. He knows the second he falls asleep, Madison is going to try to steer the boat somewhere. I really thought she was going to when she walked on to the bridge and he wasn't there.

I also think it's a bit early in the apocalypse for there to be roving gangs who shoot up ships for the fun of it, but since Robert Kirkman seems to think everyone is evil, I guess in this universe that's possible.

And it took reading previously.tv this morning to remember who the random other female was...Ofelia, the daughter of the barber. :shuffle:

AliasJohnDoe and PeterG like this.
  15. AliasJohnDoe

I enjoyed the season 2 premiere of Fear TWD. But I found the attacking of other boats a bit "premature" for the time period.

PeterG and PrincessLeppard like this.
  16. Japanfan

I too enjoyed the premiere of Season 2.

Yes, the attack did indeed seem premature. In trying to find an explanation, the first thing that came to mind is that some evil prison inmates with murderous intents got out and got on a boat. Or maybe a violent street gang got a boat. . .

ETA: There is also the matter of fuel. Take down a ship, and steal its fuel.

In the previews it appears that the group is considering eliminating Strand by either removing him from the boat or killing him. Who then is going to steer Abigail? How easy is it to learn how to steer a yacht? The control panel looks really complicated to me.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    AliasJohnDoe likes this.
  17. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Strand is the smartest guy on the ship. Plus he and Ruben Blades are the most interesting characters so I hope they don't bump them off. They give the needed edge to the rest of the suburban soccer crowd.

AliasJohnDoe likes this.
  18. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

I was going to watch the FTWD season 2 premiere last night but fell asleep after 2 minutes. :drama:

AliasJohnDoe likes this.
  19. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

I'm going to make a comment about each character as I was lost at the beginning of the episode as to how many people there were and who was who! There's eight people, five in the one family, barber and daughter...and the yacht owner.

Kim Dickens as Madison Clark - She seemed to be fine with bashing people over the head at the beginning of the episode. As did her boyfriend...

Cliff Curtis as Travis Manawa - Not sure why he felt the need to rush his son in dealing with his mother's death. After all, they do have all the time in the world, right?

Frank Dillane as Nick Clark - He seems to be over his addiction just fine. But he needs a buzz cut almost as much as Daryl and Carl do!

Alycia Debnam-Carey as Alicia Clark - I agree that Alicia giving away their location was a good example...of bad writing. Especially as Wikipedia describes Alicia as an "overachieving teenage daughter and a model student". This was done just to further the story as Alicia's not that stupid and not some little girl who desperately needs a boy to walk hand in hand with through the zombie apocalypse.

Mercedes Mason as Ofelia Salazar - She seemed present just to represent the good cheekbone-d survivors.

Lorenzo James Henrie as Christopher Manawa - Ugh. Do we have to go through the stupid people doing stupid stuff storylines over and over again. Probably, as The Walking Dead peoples are still doing stooped stuff somewhat regularly!! :lol:

Rubén Blades as Daniel Salazar - Not much story for him this episode, but he catches a mean eel? Has anyone ever tasted eel? Was it tasty at all??

Colman Domingo as Victor Strand - He came downstairs to ask the group what was going on...and sniffed in the middle of his speech. I think that was meant to say he's doing coke so as to stay awake and keep functioning. Do people agree? If so, he will crash at some point, right? Or maybe worse than just collapse, but maybe have a seizure or some other kind of horrible physical reaction?

Ahh....another one bites the dust. A walker chewed on Marco in his moment of weakness. :( R.I.P., buddy!!!

Marco and AliasJohnDoe like this.
  20. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

:angryfire I will try again tonight. It was a dark episode (lighting wise). Either I can go through both this and Talking Dead tonight, or I will get another good night sleep. :saint:

Don't worry - I won't give up. I will keep hate watching and hate posting in this thread :2faced:

21. Japanfan

In an alternative TWD/FTWD universe he could link up with Enid and the two could exchange their existential angst and become an item!

AliasJohnDoe likes this.
  22. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

I got through it last night and only fell asleep during Talking Dead :cheer:

I actually really like this episode (compared to last season anyway). I hope they are listening to feedback they got from last season, just as I am trying to accept that kids are stupid and do stupid things. [I know teenagers have emotions etc, but jump in the water from a moving boat without telling anyone? I really hope he got bit while under water. It would be manifestation of natural selection - the weak and unprepared not surviving in the apocalypse.]

Yes the time setting for this episode is literally just a few hours after last season's finale ends, but don't forget there have already been unrest in the city for days, they skipped 9 days last season, and they were locked down in the neighbourhood for a few more days. So FWIW the apocalypse might have started for like a month now. There already was mob mentality in the city at the beginning, so I suppose it isn't too early for others to be robbing supplies for survival.

Strand is obviously up to something, but to me his primary function is a buffer between TWD and FTWD. TWD fans would be used to seeing someone on the show who knew to be selectively selfish for survival. Viewers would go crazy (like last season) if everyone was all nice and slow to react etc.

@PeterG Chinese and Japanese people eat eel. :)

23. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Any thought on last night's episode? If the family knew the walkers needed to be stabbed in the head to truly die, they should understand that pills not only wouldn't help but also make things worse?! If the sea is really no safer, perhaps they should stay here for a while instead? And help fortify the area?

24. Japanfan

Well, I've got a girl crush on Mr. El Salvadore (as probably noted several times before), and have had to confess that to Mr. Japanfan. . . .

The girl taking the poison pill was a strange and improbable plot twist, as a child that young can't grasp the concept of death, or desire to mood alter by taking a pill.

I watch this show just for something to do, as someone who watches hardly any television at all.

25. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

The kids might not have been aware of the "death" part of the pills. The boy made it sound like something you take if disaster is coming and it will fix the problem. So when the girl heard she was being taken away from her parents, she figured it was time to take the pill.

26. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Or she thought they were candy, or she was curious, or her brother dared her, or.... There is a reason people store drugs out of reach of children even in a non apocalypse world, and why they are often kept in vials with child proof caps. Kids are curious and impulsive and they do stuff they shouldn't do. Like guns, poisonous substances of any kind need to be kept in a safe place that children cannot access.

27. PrincessLeppard

Okay, so I just watched.

Alicia and her headphones. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The set up the survivalists had was pretty sweet. Okay, that garden was kind of pathetic at the moment, but it could improve. They could mend fences, and they had already figured out you can't let the undead build up at the fence. Looking at you, prison people on Walking Dead.

I get why survivalist dad had the pills....if things got bad, everyone could go out peacefully together. I don't necessarily think he was going to Jonestown the family next week, though the mom must've thought so. But really, no way would I turn my kids (or my cats :p) over to that group of nincompoops. I feel like the little boy (who by the way, was an excellent actor...kid actors usually suck) was much better off with competent, yet driven older brother than our band of clueless morons.

I would've stayed on the island, rather than get back on the boat. Oh, speaking of that....."at least half of the US is gone" and everyone's all, "oh, that's too bad." Does no one remember 9/11 and the panic? Does no one worry about relatives or friends? I'm not saying I need big moments of anguish, but this is one of those things that should've happened in the first six episodes. Let me see you lose it when you can't get a hold of grandma, you know?

28. PeterG

PeterG Well-Known Member

The character of Daniel Salazar is show late in the episode picking the lock of a storage space, basically invading the space of the man who kept him and his group alive. But earlier in the episode...

...Daniel says to his daughter about staying on the island, "we haven't been invited". I agree that they should try to set up home here. At least ask this new family if that would be possible. The area where we saw Alycia walking had a number of buildings that could be converted into homes. Not sure why they want to keep travelling by boat, maybe keep looking for possible places to make home until they get low on gas and then pick the best one they've come up with?

I think after seeing Nick playing with the globe, it became an attraction. I believe she saw Nick closing it back up, so automatically a kid would be curious about what was inside. And I agree that she might have thought the pills were candies, so curiosity...killed the kid... :(

29. Japanfan

Yes. And he also tortured someone or several someones in El Salvadore - or wherever he's from in Latin America.

Plus, he's undoubtadly a chauvinist. Just not a nice guy, all round, though I'd say he's suited to survive in the apocalypse.

But when have crushes been rational things?