1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi all! No longer will threads be closed after 1000 (ish) messages. We may close if one gets so long to cause an issue and if you would like a thread closed to start a new one after a 1000 posts then just use the "Report Post" function. Enjoy!

Virtue & Moir #44: "We're just going to keep building..."

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Jan 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Scott's FD outfit is what I really want changed. I don't think it does anything for the program.

alilou and chantilly like this.
  2. chantilly

chantilly Well-Known Member

Yeah.
    I feel their FD costumes don't quite capture their theme.
    I like the design/structure but not the colours.
    I think the colours need to match or tie in together more.
    Their SD costumes however are perfect!

3. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Sorry Admin. I totally forgot about posting images directly as it has been a long time since I've done so.

4. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

This is cute. Badaoui/Friend, a young Australian ice dance team competing at 4CCs had this to say about Tessa and Scott:

a12553, Lee2010, Cherub721 and 10 others like this.
  5. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Well-Known Member

It is so good to read about the influence Tessa and Scott have on young ice dancers. If for no other reason than this, it is wonderful that they decided to compete again. Can't wait for 4CC!

6. Sylvia

Sylvia Prepping for club comp. season!

7. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Well-Known Member

5 more days! I don't really worry about their costumes. I do pray for perfect skates from them. Good luck, Tessa and Scott. Recognize your genius.

The Accordion, Shayii and barbarafan like this.
  8. Maddie Sparks

Maddie Sparks Active Member

A fan spotted them at the airport yesterday, so they are on their way to Korea! (much like other skaters that are also competing)

I'm guessing that 4CC and Worlds will be last two times to see these programs? WTT extends their season into late April, which they might not love the idea of when they're trying to gear up for the Olympics. I think they skipped 2013 WTT for the same reason? Also they're committed to SOI in early May for 3 dates. IDK. Selfishly, I'd like to see them there but I get it if they choose to skip.

pani likes this.
  9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thanks for the news! I am nervous because of get legs and time difference. Hope they will have great time in Korea!
    For WTT Canada must send team with higher place in ISU ranking and this will be WP.
    I think TS will skate Prince SD in CSOI.

barbarafan likes this.
  10. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

The WTT rule book makes it sound like the team that earned the highest number of world standing points for events of this season is the team that needs to go. http://static.isu.org/media/415343/wtt2017_announcement_16-11-07.pdf

If W/P beat V/M at Worlds or 4cc, then it looks like they could go, according to my reading.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    barbarafan and a12553 like this.
  11. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I thought they are talking about World ranking, but not about season WR. Sorry. So TS could go.

barbarafan and a12553 like this.
  12. a12553

a12553 Active Member

Thanks for rules. And how do you (all of you))) think, would they like to go? Is it enough time to prepare their new dances if they will?

13. princeton123

princeton123 Well-Known Member

I doubt they'd go to WTT. There's no rule that says they have to participate.

supergirl573 likes this.
  14. chapis

chapis Well-Known Member

Is WTT the event where Scott did not look happy the last time? They were not obligated to compete that ocassion?

supergirl573 likes this.
  15. jenji124

jenji124 Well-Known Member

I don't see why they wouldn't go to the WTT? Times have changed from seasons past.

barbarafan likes this.
  16. Maddie Sparks

Maddie Sparks Active Member

I believe they usually don't start training until June/July, so it won't impact their time to prepare new dances. It's more so just taking into account their mental and physical health and how much rest they'll get between seasons. Is it smart to extend their season for an extra month after Worlds and have to keep their "old" programs in competitive shape when they could be resting instead? They are only doing 3 dates in the CSOI tour, so it seems they're purposefully doing as little as possible professionally so they can give all their focus to the Olympic season.

Also, I don't know if it was on purpose but during an interview, they intimated that they only had 2 competitions left after Nationals (4CC and Worlds), so either they forgot about WTT or have already decided they won't be doing it.

a12553 likes this.
  17. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Tessa and Scott go to WTT. I think they want an early start to the season so I would assume they'll start preparing before June or July. I wonder if they'll do Ice Legends again or if they'll opt out of that too.

18. princeton123

Because it's a pointless event that no one really cares about? They're already skipping most of the Stars on Ice tour because they want to rest and prepare for the Olympics. Why would they extend their season for an event that doesn't count?

nippy and supergirl573 like this.
  19. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Why do you think it's a pointless event. Except for Javi and it has the top men in the world. In pairs it has the current world champions and the Chinese pairs. In dance it has the top teams in the world except the French. Given that there are no Russians ladies is a weaker field but still has some top ten skaters like the two Canadians. Overall it's a far stronger field than Europeans. Is Europeans a pointless event that no one cares about? Oh and I imagine all the skaters at 4CC care very much about the WR points and the prize money.

jenji124 likes this.
  20. allezfred

allezfred Master/Mistress of Sneer Staff Member

Obviously, media, sponsors and fans in Japan care about it because they host it every two years. Wouldn't be happening if there was no interest.

jenji124 and alilou like this.
  21. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

People are talking about the World Team Trophy (WTT) which takes place in Japan after Worlds, not about Four Continents Championships which start this week and where Tessa and Scott will compete for sure. I don't agree that WTT is completely pointless, though, despite that it does not count for World rankings. Seems that most skaters love it for the special team spirit and for the great reception from the japanese public. Not to mentiion the prize money. A lot of high level skaters from North America, Europe and Asia always take part in it.

alilou likes this.
  22. jenji124

jenji124 Well-Known Member

Pointless to you? I don't find it to be a pointless event. They would be competing against top talent in their field. They still would have plenty of time to rest and prepare for Olympic season.

alilou likes this.
  23. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

From the rulebook:

"Any Skater/Couple from a Qualified ISU Member, who placed within the first ten (10) places at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2017 and is ranked in the ISU World Standings among the best 2 Lady Single Skaters, best 2 Men Single Skaters, the best Pair Skating couple and the best Ice Dance couple of his/her/their respective Qualified ISU Member, if this Skater/Couple elects in advance of the ISU World Team Trophy not to participate in the ISU World Team Trophy (for whatever reason), he/she/they will not be permitted to participate in any other competitions, shows, and exhibitions from Monday noon (April 3, 2017) after the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2017, during the ISU World Team Trophy, and until April 23, 2017. In addition, depending on the circumstances, the concerned Skater/Couple and ISU Members may be subject to sanctions in accordance with Rule 136, paragraph 6 of the General Regulations."

V/M's SOI show dates aren't until May, but do you think they'd take the risk of getting sanctioned if they are the couple that needs to go?

This rule is written vaguely though. If you read the rest of the rules, it looks like the World Standings they're talking about are the World Standings for the season, not overall, which might mean V/M have to go. If it's just overall standings, then perhaps V/M could skip without getting in trouble if W/P go.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  24. double runner

double runner Active Member

I'm a little saddened about the ISU "forcing" skaters to compete in the WTT (if this is the case). Generally, injuries and mistakes are more likely to occur when the mind isn't fully engaged in the activity. Let's be honest, the Worlds will be the pinnacle of the season and mentally, skaters get out of that competitive mindset once the biggest competition is over and done. Something has to give, I know the ISU is trying to appease one its biggest fanbase (Japan) but it's not right that they are taking skaters' downtime for an event that they couldn't care less about.

As a fan of the sport, I would rather see the skaters take their much needed rest and decompress ahead of the Olympic year.

chantilly likes this.
  25. Sylvia

I believe it's ISU World Standings (not Season World Rankings), as was discussed in the GSD thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/in...orld-team-trophy-april-19-23-in-tokyo.100522/

ETA: I personally believe sanctions will not be applied as long as a Canadian (or U.S.) dance team from the top 10 at 2017 Worlds will compete at WTT.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  26. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sylvia! So, like I said before, WP will go to WTT.

27. princeton123

Exactly. It's for the media and sponsors in Japan. It's not a real competition with actual stakes.

Cherub721 likes this.
  28. Sylvia

The majority of skaters appreciate the generous prize money and the final chance to earn ISU Season Best scores at WTT.

lauravvv and allezfred like this.
  29. allezfred

allezfred Master/Mistress of Sneer Staff Member

Let's see - there's programmes performed and scored and the $1 million in prize money that's on offer. Sounds like a real competition with actual stakes to me.

lauravvv and chapis like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.