1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi all! No longer will threads be closed after 1000 (ish) messages. We may close if one gets so long to cause an issue and if you would like a thread closed to start a new one after a 1000 posts then just use the "Report Post" function. Enjoy!

Virtue & Moir #44: "We're just going to keep building..."

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Jan 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

I agree; the camera angles were different and in the slow motion part it was awesome to see their expression. I loved it.

Goody2shoes likes this.
  2. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have FD results yet, please, pretty please? I can't bear waiting!

3. kittysk8ts

kittysk8ts Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    a12553, double runner and Goody2shoes like this.
  4. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Well-Known Member

So glad they won again. Can't make Dailymotion work for me. But now I know results, I'm happy to wait for further vids. Thanks, kittysk8ts

kittysk8ts likes this.
  5. kittysk8ts

My pleasure. The vimeo link that someone posted above will likely be updated with the FD soon :)

girlscouse62 likes this.
  6. kittysk8ts

7. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Lol and the girls' (Tessa, Madison, and Madison) reaction too.

8. princeton123

princeton123 Well-Known Member

I know the FD wasn't technically perfect, but it was the best they performed it artistically in my opinion.

9. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Can v/m just drill twizzles for 8 hours everyday from now to Worlds? Please and thank you.

10. TSFRENCHFAN

TSFRENCHFAN Well-Known Member

Shayii likes this.
  11. martyross

martyross Well-Known Member

here's the vimeo upload, you can also download it in hd
    https://vimeo.com/204496308

the changes to the program are awesome, and everything of the performance, interpretation, style was perfect in every respects.
    this time you can feel a certain sensuality, in the large sense of the word, something that comes from pure art (a work of art that portrays two people's lives).
    they have outdone themselves at this event, imo.

bbkenn, Jeanne7, a12553 and 4 others like this.
  12. Goody2shoes

Goody2shoes Active Member

Thanks all for sharing these links :) If I'm like some of you, I too was holding my breath when they transitioned into the twizzles. A slight wobble there from Scott. I much like the change (entry and exit) in stationary rotation going into Sam Smith's piece. Overall, they looked and made this program so effortless. I particularly enjoyed watching the playback moments. The clip when they were going into the twirls...wow...Scott looked super yum. ;P Can't wait to watch them at Worlds!

bbkenn, a12553, kittysk8ts and 3 others like this.
  13. Goody2shoes

Goody2shoes Active Member

girlscouse62 and nippy like this.
  14. Bue

Bue Active Member

Or maybe Tessa can drill Scott on twizzles :wall: Who am I to question their training methods, but over and over I find myself thinking, are they REALLY devoting the time they should be to those blasted twizzles? They actually seem to be getting worse as the season progresses. (Other than that I thought the program was beautiful. Well, what I could actually see of it. On the second step sequence you couldn't even see the steps! The camera angles! :yikes:)

15. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

That's not true their twizzles were pretty much perfect at nationals :).

IoanaC, Jeanne7 and chantilly like this.
  16. Maddie Sparks

Maddie Sparks Active Member

I am in love with their new spin in the FD. Judges seem to agree because they got higher GOEs for it than at GPF. I find a normal Spin works so much better here because it flows seamlessly without having to break in the hold to change direction -- like they did with their original CoSp. I also love how in the change in position as she lifts her leg up, the movement is accentuated with the music perfectly.

The exit out of the spin is also much more detailed and lovely. I like the dip and the lunge and everything in between. Super excited to see it all come together for them at Worlds!

double runner likes this.
  17. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

IIRC, this spin was downgraded to a level 2 at Canadian Nats because of a mistake by Scott -- he put a foot down before the spin was finished so it didn't have enough revolutions.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGo6jPIuDtg using this link (with no sound) fast forward to about 2:40 mark when the spin is about to begin. Watch carefully at the end of the spin (about 2:58 mark) and you should see Scott's foot go down before Tessa's leg finishes going over Scott's head. Loss of two levels for that mistake.
    Compare that to the current spin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djjGXaNMxo8 near the 2:20 mark. Because of the change in the spin, Scott and Tessa both have their one leg/skate off the ice as the finish the spin. And as is usually the case, I prefer this spin to what they had earlier -- just like I prefer the current entrance to their final lift compared to earlier.

18. Maddie Sparks

Maddie Sparks Active Member

Haha, yeah I remember. I was actually the one earlier in this thread that explained why they lost 2 levels on their spin at Nationals because some people were having a bit of a hard time figuring it out. In any case, I think the spin just wasn't working for them in general, and maybe Scott making that unusual mistake at Nationals was the push they needed to change it. I definitely prefer the new version, too. It really transforms the transition into Latch and makes it a lot smoother and less jarring. Even the British ES commentators noted how much more they enjoyed the latter part of the program at this event.

Also I was talking about GOEs in comparison to GPF (the last international competition), which is the grade of execution of the spin not the level of the spin itself. Basically when both spins were performed cleanly (IIRC the CoSp at GPF was a lvl 4) the judges gave a higher GOE to the new Spin, which basically just means they find it more aesthetically pleasing, well executed, and fitting within whatever movement in the music they have chosen.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  19. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Just a little reality check. This season they have competed their SD six times and their FD six times.
    That means they competed their twizzles sequence 12 times.

Of those 12 times they earned eleven L4's and just one L3 back in Skate Canada. Sure there may be GOE issues at times but they aren't blowing their twizzles.

I think because so many people bought into the old "oh well they blew their twizzles so they deserve to lose" in the last cycle some of you are seeing pink elephants where there aren't any. All teams make mistakes.

20. kittysk8ts

Agree. Their twizzles have been consistently well done all season. There is not a problem here.

21. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Luckily V/M don't think about it that way. They know they are leaving points on the table, and when you're competing against the best, that's not a good thing.

girlscouse62 likes this.
  22. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

Recognizing where you can improve any given performance and pick up extra points is a lot different to suggesting they don't practice the twizzles enough or should drill them 8 hours a day.

23. kittysk8ts

Correct. Thank you @marbri :)

marbri likes this.
  24. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Tessa look amazing :glamor:

Jeanne7, a12553, Shayii and 1 other person like this.
  25. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

True. You can recognize where you have problems, but it is another thing to actually be able to correct the problem. Of course I don't know what it will take for them to skate twizzles to max GOE consistently. Drill and kill is just one suggested method.

26. Bue

Bue Active Member

There isn't a problem with level, true. But I think it's wilful blindness to suggest that there isn't a recurring issue with execution. V/M are clearly aware of this judging from comments Scott has made throughout the season. This isn't supposed to sound like a criticism (every team has a weakness), it's just the reality of the situation. I don't know how they fix it, although they do tend to deliver in high pressure situations.

kittysk8ts likes this.
  27. Jeanne7

Jeanne7 Active Member

A few of the top teams have issues on & off with their twizzles. It's just the high pressure because they are incredibly well trained. Tessa & Scott seem to deliver in the big competitions though.

Shayii likes this.
  28. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Did you guys see the comment Tatiana Volosozhar left on Tessa's lastest instagram post? So cute. I hope she, Max, and the baby are settling in nicely.

29. kittysk8ts

And I don't think I am wilfully blind. I was responding to the poster who said they have achieved a level 4 for that element every time out except for once.

marbri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.